Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
Don't worry about cams until you start making big power with a nice high CR motor; these small motors don't see anywhere near the same gains you would see with fuel/cams on an LS motor, for comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Dumb Subaru newbie here.

ECU flashing voids the warranty. When you flash it, does it leave a signature or breadcrumbs for the dealership to find, even if you flash it back prior to taking it into service? I ask because I got the extended warranty on my WRX for cheap and was toying around with upgrading the intake/exhaust and getting a tune and would prefer not to void it.

Being in CA, we have to pass bi-annual smog checks, but not during the first 6 years of owning a new car. When I hit that magical 6-year wall, I have to put most of the crap back to stock to get it smogged, right? Seems like a pain in the rear end.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
Most people would just reflash and drive enough to get the readiness monitors back in range.

What part of CA are you in? Here in LA, there are a handful of shops that'll pass non-carb modified vehicles for a small fee($250-400). You only have to really worry about it when you're flagged for a star smog.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sacramento.

I've read elsewhere that you can fail the visual inspections if you have anything but a stock downpipe/catback. I guess it would depend who you took it to?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Every 2 years, I take my downpipe off, drive 2 blocks to a smog shop, come back, put the DP back on. It isn't really a big deal.
Beyond that though and it becomes a big deal. If you stay out of the boost, you can even keep the tune on it (this may be different for later cars).

Also, we have no good subaru shops in this town and do not go to elk grove subaru for work (warranty or other), those fuckers almost killed me.

Cat back exhausts and intercoolers are free. You probably don't want to do an intake.

Keep your spare parts.

nm fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 5, 2015

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
If you haven't gone too overboard, you usually just need to swap on the stock downpipe, and airbox if you have a not carb approved intake.

We kept a couple of stock downpipes around the shop so if someone needed to go take a smog test we could swap one on for them.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I have 3 stock downpipes that people randomly borrow to pass visual on cars they run a 150 dollar ebay poop pipe exhaust lol.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009

TheFargate posted:

So I signed up for a track day. This will be my first time on a track and I'm really excited. I will likely need to purchase a helmet. The guy running it was trying to get some loaner helmets but I have not heard from him. Can anyone recommend me a decent one that isnt too expensive? Also, since its my first track day, any tips or advice? Its going to be at the thunderbolt track in south jersey.

When are you gonna be there? I'll be at Thunderbolt on Oct 18th. Gonna shakedown this new turbo setup.

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007
Nov 3rd, AZP is having a track day

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
Ah, sweet. Depending on if my car lives through this October date, I may see if any slots remain for the AZP event.

Thunderbolt is a really fun track. I think you'll have a blast.

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007
Awesome, cant wait for it! Good luck with the car! And i know as of now they do have some spots open

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

jamal posted:

91 tune with 91-93 in the tank is a good way to go, and I think a 20g-xtr is the right turbo choice.

Cams I am not sure I would bother with. They sometimes end up to be more of a hassle than they're worth. Most aftermarket ones are not made the same way as oem and are not as durable. I suppose if you found a set of oem cams off some jdm car or an sti that could work. I don't remember if you need adjustable cam gears and to index avcs sti cams or if you can just plug the holes and use them. I think they'll just go in. You'll need some new shims but could get away with not going to shimless buckets (with big cams and high rpms it's necessary).

Otherwise sounds pretty good. I've done a bunch of stroked 2.0s and they are fun, and a better solution than a 2.5 hybrid where the head doesn't match up to the bore quite right. Send me an email when you are ready to go shopping.

With the new power levels is a new clutch needed?
I've replaced the original at about 105k with an exeddy/OEM replacement

Or is it a it'll be fine for a while, but plan on it in 3-6 months type thing?
Or is it better to have the clutch as the weak link and save downstream parts from too much power?

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 6, 2015

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

jamal posted:

If you haven't gone too overboard, you usually just need to swap on the stock downpipe, and airbox if you have a not carb approved intake.

We kept a couple of stock downpipes around the shop so if someone needed to go take a smog test we could swap one on for them.

nm posted:

Every 2 years, I take my downpipe off, drive 2 blocks to a smog shop, come back, put the DP back on. It isn't really a big deal.
Beyond that though and it becomes a big deal. If you stay out of the boost, you can even keep the tune on it (this may be different for later cars).

Also, we have no good subaru shops in this town and do not go to elk grove subaru for work (warranty or other), those fuckers almost killed me.

Cat back exhausts and intercoolers are free. You probably don't want to do an intake.

Keep your spare parts.

Cool, thanks! I hadn't planned on going too nuts, as I don't want to get into "this car is noisy as poo poo and wakes the neighbors when I leave for work" territory. I was just looking for something that gets a bit more performance with not a lot of hassle, especially when smog check time rolls around.

I don't think I'd ever go to Elk Grove for anything, let alone Subaru. I actually live about 10 minutes from the Roseville dealership (where I bought it from).

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

toplitzin posted:

With the new power levels is a new clutch needed?
I've replaced the original at about 105k with an exeddy/OEM replacement

Or is it a it'll be fine for a while, but plan on it in 3-6 months type thing?
Or is it better to have the clutch as the weak link and save downstream parts from too much power?

Yeah you will need a stronger clutch eventually I think. Exedy stage 1 HD or act hdss would be my choices. There are a good variety of other things out there now but I don't know a lot about them.

Generally a clutch isn't going to change anything as far as not breaking gears goes. It will slip or it won't. I guess if you had, say, an unsprung disc (don't do that), the shock loads could be higher if you are not smooth about things.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Just looking at the numbers, the Exedy is good for 319 ft/lbs @ the wheels while the ACT is 429 ft/lbs.
Is the ACT measuring at the crank, or is that much of a difference?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Maybe its because I'm under the car without a jack, but how exactly do you take the rubber covers out of the back of the handbrake drums without tearing them? It feels like I'm literally on the verge of tearing it.
E: I mean the cover to get at the clearance screw.

Also thankyou PO for removing the lock nut on the handbrake adjuster and trying (read failing) to hold the adjusting nut there with loctite. I was wondering why my handbrake has been feeling more and more slack in the year I've owned it.

E: They tore it and instead of getting a new pair, glued it poorly. So I just had to tear them in half with pliers. At least my handbrake is tight, water in the drum is future mes problem

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Oct 7, 2015

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

toplitzin posted:

Just looking at the numbers, the Exedy is good for 319 ft/lbs @ the wheels while the ACT is 429 ft/lbs.
Is the ACT measuring at the crank, or is that much of a difference?

The ACT is a little stronger, but I think a 100lb/ft difference is a bit of a stretch. On the website it just says "430lb-ft" which I assume is rated at the actual clutch disc. For awhile ACT's pricing got a little out of hand and that clutch was like $700-800 but they have come down and are more reasonable. Actually I'm seeing the act is less than the exedy now.

mudstone
Jul 30, 2015
hoping this is the right spot... and googling isn't helping. nor is subaru. Can we talk for a moment about the head unit in the 15 legacy? does it actually do things that it says on the tin? AKA Starlink/Mirrorlink/Remote Lock unlock with the phone?

I have a nexus 5 with both startlink mirrorlink and my subaru apps installed. can't get the damned thing to work.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
So my 04 wrx's radio is a little hosed. A CD got jammed and when I took it apart it looks like one of the worm gears that moves the disks up and down jumped timing. I really hate how aftermarket head units look. Could I put an 06 radio in my car so that I could have aux?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Sadi posted:

So my 04 wrx's radio is a little hosed. A CD got jammed and when I took it apart it looks like one of the worm gears that moves the disks up and down jumped timing. I really hate how aftermarket head units look. Could I put an 06 radio in my car so that I could have aux?

On the Impreza I think aux in started on the 07 head units, not 06.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

jamal posted:

The ACT is a little stronger, but I think a 100lb/ft difference is a bit of a stretch. On the website it just says "430lb-ft" which I assume is rated at the actual clutch disc. For awhile ACT's pricing got a little out of hand and that clutch was like $700-800 but they have come down and are more reasonable. Actually I'm seeing the act is less than the exedy now.

I see what happened.
The site I was using (importimageracing )did indeed list two different clutches strengths measured at 2 different places. fail at true comparison.
In the Exedy catalog the ratings are listed as:

Stage 1:
Torque at Clutch 454, flywheel 361, and wheel 289 lb/ft.

Stage 1 HD: 502, 399, 319.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

mudstone posted:

hoping this is the right spot... and googling isn't helping. nor is subaru. Can we talk for a moment about the head unit in the 15 legacy? does it actually do things that it says on the tin? AKA Starlink/Mirrorlink/Remote Lock unlock with the phone?

I have a nexus 5 with both startlink mirrorlink and my subaru apps installed. can't get the damned thing to work.

The head unit in my 16 WRX is pretty crappy. I am assuming they are somewhat similar, if not the same. The Starlink thing is stupid. I load the app up on my phone and.... nothing happens. Maybe I just need to read more about it, but literally nothing happens. I don't get what it's supposed to do.

The remote unlock stuff is through a subscription service (of course). I just push the button on my key instead of my phone.

I'm actually debating replacing the head unit with one with CarPlay, so I can have in-dash navigation.

si
Apr 26, 2004
Don't recall who it was, but know a dude was talking about a helmet for track days. Since SA2015 is just out, and SA2010 is now "old", good deals are there on the 2010s.

SA2010 should still be good through 2019, so plenty of life in them.

"Solo Performance Specialties
1 hr ·
HELMET BLOWOUT - We are down to the last few SA2010 (and a few M2010) helmets and I want them GONE!
The list is at the Google Docs link below, first come first serve. Contact us at sales@soloperformance.com to order"

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JJ3n03H-O1q4LH6_n_cRao2fo_LEDm2Cjz2ez3TZ_I8/edit?usp=sharing

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007

si posted:

Don't recall who it was, but know a dude was talking about a helmet for track days. Since SA2015 is just out, and SA2010 is now "old", good deals are there on the 2010s.

SA2010 should still be good through 2019, so plenty of life in them.

"Solo Performance Specialties
1 hr ·
HELMET BLOWOUT - We are down to the last few SA2010 (and a few M2010) helmets and I want them GONE!
The list is at the Google Docs link below, first come first serve. Contact us at sales@soloperformance.com to order"

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JJ3n03H-O1q4LH6_n_cRao2fo_LEDm2Cjz2ez3TZ_I8/edit?usp=sharing

That was me! I found out they have a loaner for me for that price i may have to snag one, thanks for the heads up

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
If I'm rebuilding a short block and I use a new crank, is there any reason the Crank bearings would be any other size besides standard?

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
Have you measured the crankshaft and main line bore? Start there and that'll determine your clearances.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

McSpatula posted:

Have you measured the crankshaft and main line bore? Start there and that'll determine your clearances.

This is all theoretical at this point.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Sadi posted:

PM me your info and I'll send you my 08's radio. Then all you'd need is this thing and you'll have an aux port. I replaced that stereo with this alpine headunit and it's pretty loving great.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

BloodBag posted:

PM me your info and I'll send you my 08's radio. Then all you'd need is this thing and you'll have an aux port. I replaced that stereo with this alpine headunit and it's pretty loving great.

The more research I've done, it looks like most of the 08s got a wider than din (what the 07 and down use) radio slot. So I don't think I can put an 08 radio in my car. Thanks for the thought though.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Sadi posted:

The more research I've done, it looks like most of the 08s got a wider than din (what the 07 and down use) radio slot. So I don't think I can put an 08 radio in my car. Thanks for the thought though.

It's a double din radio with ears screwed on the sides. Unscrew the ears and it'll slide right in. :quagmire:
e: come to think of it, I think you're right. The plastic stuff on either side is a touch wider. gently caress it, I'm keeping my poo poo :colbert:

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007
I know that on the '13 I had if you wanted an aftermarket stereo you had to get the jdm bezel if you didnt want gaps on the sides of the stereo. So Id assume thats for all the 08-14 models.

mudstone
Jul 30, 2015

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The head unit in my 16 WRX is pretty crappy. I am assuming they are somewhat similar, if not the same. The Starlink thing is stupid. I load the app up on my phone and.... nothing happens. Maybe I just need to read more about it, but literally nothing happens. I don't get what it's supposed to do.

The remote unlock stuff is through a subscription service (of course). I just push the button on my key instead of my phone.

I'm actually debating replacing the head unit with one with CarPlay, so I can have in-dash navigation.

same issue for me. pandora works about 70% of the time. mirrorlink won't work because of some patching bs. then there's starlink. Which as far as i can tell... it'll tell me the weather. iHeart radio never worked, AHA is absolute garbage as far as i can tell.

Flash Gordon
May 8, 2006
Death To Ming
I have a 2006 Subaru Forester. I had it in the shop the other day to have some minor work done and asked the staff to recommend me a set of tires (I'm definitely due for some new ones). They suggested Toyo Versado Eco, but I looked these up and it doesn't seem like they are for SUVs? At least, when I enter my cars info into the Toyo website this is not one of the tires suggested. Any ideas?

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
They're available in your vehicle's oem size as another run of the mill all season tire. Did you ask why that specific tire was recommended? Definitely tailor your tire choice to your local weather conditions -- tirerack.com is a good start.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
A forester doesn't need special tires. Is the site telling you to buy 4wd off roading tyres?

Flash Gordon
May 8, 2006
Death To Ming
I didn't ask. Just got the info as I was headed out. I'm planning on calling the shop tomorrow to ask why this particular pair and discuss other options.

The Toyo website recommends a few tires, the most relevant seem to be these: https://www.toyotires.com/tire/pattern/proxes-st-ii-sport-truck-all-season-tires

I currently live in Georgia so conditions are fairly reasonable, it doesn't really snow but it rains occasionally. Most of my driving is just to and from the university and the grocery store.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I dunno much about specific tires but it wouldn't surprise me if those ended up being more expensive than the ones you were recommended and thats why toyo wants you to buy them

If all you do is go to the shops and back with occasional rain, just get whatever fits that has a high tread wear rating that also has a high rain rating if you get frequent heavy storms.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Flash Gordon posted:

I have a 2006 Subaru Forester. I had it in the shop the other day to have some minor work done and asked the staff to recommend me a set of tires (I'm definitely due for some new ones). They suggested Toyo Versado Eco, but I looked these up and it doesn't seem like they are for SUVs? At least, when I enter my cars info into the Toyo website this is not one of the tires suggested. Any ideas?

A Forester is a Crossover, not an SUV.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
my sti has extremely soft steering feel, something that's gotten noticeably worse over the past 1000 miles. enough that I can turn 90 degrees with basically 2 fingers. it definitely did not used to feel this way, and a crv has tighter steering feel which is hilarious. any way I can tighter the steering feel? the suspension appears ok, and it still corners very flat.

some sort of steering pump failure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

si
Apr 26, 2004

dk2m posted:

my sti has extremely soft steering feel, something that's gotten noticeably worse over the past 1000 miles. enough that I can turn 90 degrees with basically 2 fingers. it definitely did not used to feel this way, and a crv has tighter steering feel which is hilarious. any way I can tighter the steering feel? the suspension appears ok, and it still corners very flat.

some sort of steering pump failure?

Sounds more like tires vs road. Tires worn? Pressures OK? Pressures too high and temps too low will cause this for sure.