Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you have a Five Below in your local mall I picked up a 6" lightning cable there for $5 (Apple's retails for like $30). I've only had it for a couple weeks but it works great and even if it fails it's still only 1/6 of the cost of the official Apple one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Screen protector for a 6/s at $15 or less?

I bought a Tech Armor ballistic glass and love the product in theory, but it seems like it's not wide enough, or I didn't install it right since I had the phone placed vertically when I put it on. But this is my second one since I begged them for a free do-over; and it just doesn't seem quite "wide" enough. I can see rainbows on both sides of the screen due to how close they cut the glass.

My installation on a Plus went perfectly, and I used them for an iPad once, too. They just seem to have gone too close to the corners on the 4.7" phone.

I'm thinking of buying their pricier "edge to edge" one but thought I'd come here first.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

couldcareless posted:

Are amazon lightning cables still recommended or are the Apple branded ones the only good option out there?

Personally, I'd pick Anker over Amazon. Had two of two Amazon cables break on me at the lightning connector, none of my six? Anker ones have had any issues. No experience with Monoprice ones.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Apparently the plastic on the iPhone 6S official cables is slightly thicker than the old ones.

Hopefully that makes it more resilient, I've gone through ~5-6 lightning cables.

(Also, Midnight Blue leather case is great. I used to be a believer of the naked iPhone, but the 6S is thin enough that a case doesn't add much heft anymore)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Hnnngh the new saddle brown leather case is so good. It's no Horween leather a la Moto X (and whatever other Android phones that idea branched out to,) but it looks and feels great. It also ages pretty well -- Google image search it for some examples.

Be warned, though; if you don't want a "color-changing" case, it's probably best to go for the black one.

Oh, it's definitely a different (higher quality) leather than the leather they used for the iPhone 6 cases. I use this stuff on all of my leather products -- on the black iPhone 6 leather case I have, it just greased it up until my skin eventually worked it off of the surface. The 6S saddle brown leather soaked it right up, which is good.

enojy fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 8, 2015

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I got an Anker 6ft cable for like 3 dollars, so I like them the most

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

nate fisher posted:

Serious but stupid question why do people keep the 'iMessage' app in the top right corner? The app tray at bottom is always for my most used apps (call, iMessage, safari, music), and it seems like everyone would put the iMessage app there. I know stupid question, and everyone is different.

My tray at the bottom is Hangouts, LastPass, Wikipanion, and Outlook.

Launch Center pro is on the main screen, on the bottom row.

Messages is in a folder with other "Apple" stuff. Siri made it and phone unnecessary.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

noirstronaut posted:

I actually tried linking to the black one but I hosed up

The black one is amazing because it's so slim and so quality that it just "becomes" your iPhone. It's not a phone and case. It's your leather phone.
I had that one. Out of sheer desire for a change of pace I got the Saddle Brown now. It's a close second to black.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Kaizoku posted:

My tray at the bottom is Hangouts, LastPass, Wikipanion, and Outlook.

Launch Center pro is on the main screen, on the bottom row.

Messages is in a folder with other "Apple" stuff. Siri made it and phone unnecessary.

do you seriously talk to your phone every time you want to make a call or send a message

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
My bottom row is exactly as Apple intended it to be.

Messages is at the top because I never/rarely open Messages outside of receiving a text. I actively call people, open up Safari, Mail etc without interacting with a notification. I have Music there too b/c I used Apple Music but I switched back to Spotify, so I'm not sure what I'll do. Spotify's icon is ugly, so I might just keep Music there for completionist's sake.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

do you seriously talk to your phone every time you want to make a call or send a message

Or use Launch Center Pro. I step somewhere private for any phonecall anyway, and almost all of my texting is through hangouts since voice got rolled in with it.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

You can put folders in the bottom tray! I keep my most frequently accessed apps sorted into folders in the bottom tray. Pretty much everything else I access thru search because gently caress keeping pages of apps organized / memorized.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

You are a lunatic

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Folders are OK but I wish they were much quicker and easier to use.
I really miss FakeClockUp every time I open or close one.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

hitze posted:

You are a lunatic

Works for me :shrug:. Even on my Mac I launch most things thru Alfred / Spotlight.

~Coxy posted:

Folders are OK but I wish they were much quicker and easier to use.
I really miss FakeClockUp every time I open or close one.

FakeClockUp + f.lux are the only things I miss from my jailbreaking days :sigh:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Oneiros posted:

You can put folders in the bottom tray! I keep my most frequently accessed apps sorted into folders in the bottom tray. Pretty much everything else I access thru search because gently caress keeping pages of apps organized / memorized.

That is insane, wars have started over less than folders in the dock.

Eh I keep up to four pages of apps these days, and four folders; Apple, Microsoft, Google, Background. If I stash things in folders beyond that they don't get used.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Kaizoku posted:

That is insane, wars have started over less than folders in the dock.
It's the ALLCAPS in the folder titles that's driving me mad. And a complete waste of a home screen only having a single icon.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Question Mark Mound posted:

And a complete waste of a home screen only having a single icon.

You don't like your home screen to be a pretty anime picture instead of something utilitarian? That Calendar icon looks like it's not meant to be used, it's just for icon display on the home screen like an Android home screen widget.

And while I'm comparing things to Android home screens, why am I not allowed to move an icon to where I can reach it with my thumb instead of having to pile on icons in front of it so that it rests further down the screen? Is there a patent on that concept, or something? From what I can tell, this wasn't an issue on 4" screens because everything was reachable by thumb anyways, but now we live in a different age.

if you suggest that one jailbreak solution i will get mad :tizzy:

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

You don't like your home screen to be a pretty anime picture instead of something utilitarian? That Calendar icon looks like it's not meant to be used, it's just for icon display on the home screen like an Android home screen widget.

And while I'm comparing things to Android home screens, why am I not allowed to move an icon to where I can reach it with my thumb instead of having to pile on icons in front of it so that it rests further down the screen? Is there a patent on that concept, or something? From what I can tell, this wasn't an issue on 4" screens because everything was reachable by thumb anyways, but now we live in a different age.

if you suggest that one jailbreak solution i will get mad :tizzy:

I think there's a non-jailbreak solution to make invisible app shortcut icons, then pad the screen out with them. Or used to be.

I have one full screen organised with the apps I really care about, plus one folder for utility apps, one for video apps. All the most used stuff is on the dock, and everything else found via spotlight.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did someone say app folders?

(I launch almost all my apps with spotlight)

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Are we just posting our home screens now?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

Looking at another's person's iPhone icon layout drives me crazy (I know keep looking). I am so use to all my icons being in the order that I've had them in for years (well at least the major ones) I'm confused when using another person's phone.

Serious but stupid question why do people keep the 'iMessage' app in the top right corner? The app tray at bottom is always for my most used apps (call, iMessage, safari, music), and it seems like everyone would put the iMessage app there. I know stupid question, and everyone is different.

Preference I guess. My bottom tray apps are google voice (I use that as messages), gmail, Safari and hangouts.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Sure, have a picture of my home screen.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bunch of failures in this thread, no one has Awful.app in their home row.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

😇

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

I've been having a weird issue with my 6s. A few days ago it prompted me for my passcode saying it requires it after a reboot. I looked at uptime and it didn't seem that it had rebooted.

Then this morning, it prompted me again saying that it required the passcode if you didn't unlock your phone for 48 hours. (I had unlocked it to check it before I went to bed, some 8-9 hours ago, definitely not even CLOSE to 48...)

Anyone else see anything like this? Only other issue I've had with it is that wallet-cropping bug you get from (I believe) restoring a 5s backup or whatever.

Other than that everything seems to work great.

Edit: While we are posting home screens, I figured why not...
(background is from my countertop)

metavisual fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Oct 8, 2015

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
So what is better than the stock mail app? I have about 4 email accounts that I need to keep tabs on two of them being non-gmail accounts.

edit: whoops wrong thread.

Etrips fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Oct 8, 2015

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

xzzy posted:

Ask and ye shall receive!

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

I am weird. I never put folders on my home screen (they are on the second screen), and I never use the bottom row (it just looks to crowed to me).

Also I discovered Vidgets last month, and I have slowly started moving icons to there.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Oct 8, 2015

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

metavisual posted:

I've been having a weird issue with my 6s. A few days ago it prompted me for my passcode saying it requires it after a reboot. I looked at uptime and it didn't seem that it had rebooted.

Then this morning, it prompted me again saying that it required the passcode if you didn't unlock your phone for 48 hours. (I had unlocked it to check it before I went to bed, some 8-9 hours ago, definitely not even CLOSE to 48...)

Anyone else see anything like this? Only other issue I've had with it is that wallet-cropping bug you get from (I believe) restoring a 5s backup or whatever.

Other than that everything seems to work great.

Edit: While we are posting home screens, I figured why not...
(background is from my countertop)

You, use the official twitter app...

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Feenix posted:

The black one is amazing because it's so slim and so quality that it just "becomes" your iPhone. It's not a phone and case. It's your leather phone.
I had that one. Out of sheer desire for a change of pace I got the Saddle Brown now. It's a close second to black.

The black isn't actually thinner than any of the other cases is it? Genuine question, just because of the way you phrased that.

I ended up getting the rose grey to go on my silver 6S and, while it isn't huge, it does add a lot to the phone's size. Maybe it's just because I'm switching backwards and forwards with "naked" devices at work and I see the difference side-by-side all the time, I can see how you'd get used to it quickly with no point of reference. I really wish I could trust myself without the case, but having smashed my first 6S in 6 days (and never broken a phone before in my life) it doesn't feel like that's an option - I honestly nearly switched to Android because I was so averse to the slippyness of the iPhone 6 design..

xzzy posted:

I have it in my dock on my iPad, but I use that more for "sit down and read" cases so most of my dock icons are heavy-content type apps.

metavisual posted:

I've definitely seen this on my iPad.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

jivjov posted:

Sure, have a picture of my home screen.

Other than soundcloud and nyan cat, what are those soundboards?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My home screen is awful-centric.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

wooger posted:

You, use the official twitter app...

Yeah, I don't really do a lot with Twitter, but I'm definitely not a fan of the default app.

Any recommendation for a better one?

Froist posted:

I've definitely seen this on my iPad.

Thanks, that makes me feel better that it's not just me!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The black leather 6 case (pre-6S) is noticeably thinner than the saddle brown 6S case, but it's a negligible difference IMO. Of course, it could be the ~6 months of use/wear confusing me, but the lip that wraps the screen on the 6S case is definitely "two-tenths of a millimeter" higher than the 6 case. This applies to using the 6S case on a 6; I'm willing to bet the lip/thickness feels virtually unchanged on a 6S. The difference hasn't hindered side-swiping at all, but it's still a bit more tricky than doing so sans case.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

The Dave posted:

My home screen is awful-centric.

How are you hiding the icon labels? My googlefu tells me there is an app for this, but it is just for jailbroken iphones correct?

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
my home screen, linked for :nws: and extreme homosexuality

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Kaizoku posted:

Other than soundcloud and nyan cat, what are those soundboards?

An old Wilhelm scream app, a Gen 2 Pokemon soundboard (that's been delisted from the App Store for years), daft punk, sonic screwdriver, Bulletstorm, a knockoff power rangers morphed, and a storm sim to help me sleep.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
lol forever if you jailbreak your phone

also all of your home screens are wrong and it is really bothering me :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Am I really stuck with this banner if I only want my phone to show offline music?

I don't have an active Apple Music subscription, if that matters.