Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Moldbug has a huge essay called "How Dawkins Got Pwned"

I love that one. "Dawkins is a dirty prog who's secretly a cultural christian!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
They do have a lot to be grateful to Dawkins for, though, because the lovely groundless pseudoscience he developed in ignorance of all other fields that already covered what he was talking about is a workhorse and backbone for a lot of LW and NRx ideas.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Trig Discipline posted:

about one in four brilliant academic biologists turn into absolute loving nutbars at around sixty, and will, if not physically restrained, hunker down and take repeated runny shits all over whatever legacy they may have had. see also margulles, watson, and to a lesser extent e.o. wilson

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Somewhat related: Linus Pauling and Henry Heimlich, who believes that AIDS can be cured with malaria.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Jack Gladney posted:

Somewhat related: Linus Pauling and Henry Heimlich, who believes that AIDS can be cured with malaria.

Relevant Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal comic:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i laughed harder then i should have. but now i miss my dog :(

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Moldbug has a huge essay called "How Dawkins Got Pwned"

Yeah, that's the epic mentioned in the RationalWiki article. Being Moldbug the closest he can come up with is to spend 37,000 words proving, step by step, strand by strand, that Dawkins is a ... cultural Christian!!! Something Dawkins has spoken of at length frequently. Well done, Moldbug.

They do have a lot to be grateful to Dawkins for, though, because the lovely groundless pseudoscience he developed in ignorance of all other fields that already covered what he was talking about is a workhorse and backbone for a lot of LW and NRx ideas.

Uh, you're going to have to join the dots on that one, and specifically the dots to make up for where LW and NRx openly scorn Dawkins for actually having achieved things in his life.

Trig Discipline posted:

about one in four brilliant academic biologists turn into absolute loving nutbars at around sixty, and will, if not physically restrained, hunker down and take repeated runny shits all over whatever legacy they may have had. see also margulles, watson, and to a lesser extent e.o. wilson

Coyne has so far managed to keep quiet his uh odder opinions. Or nobody cares, which is about the same. Coyne and Dawkins are still largely correct on biology, at least.

Myers has decided most of his fellow skeptical atheists are assholes, which is pretty much on the ball. But, he considers himself pretty average as developmental biologists go.

divabot has a new favorite as of 01:49 on Oct 7, 2015

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

divabot posted:

Uh, you're going to have to join the dots on that one, and specifically the dots to make up for where LW and NRx openly scorn Dawkins for actually having achieved things in his life.

I think Vosgian is referring to meme theory.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
And the thing of it is, Dawkins' evolutionary theory never really panned out either because he used a provisional definition of the gene which turned out to be completely wrong.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Silver2195 posted:

I think Vosgian is referring to meme theory.

Yeah.

It's a big fat nothing as far as ideas that are supposed to bear scientific fruit though, but LW and NRx still like it because it gives them a way to pretend ideas they don't like are sicknesses and people they don't like are mindless zombies.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah.

It's a big fat nothing as far as ideas that are supposed to bear scientific fruit though, but LW and NRx still like it because it gives them a way to pretend ideas they don't like are sicknesses and people they don't like are mindless zombies.
I wonder how many of them first encountered the concept in a Metal Gear game.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Yeah.

It's still a running joke among cultural anthropologists, those who actually study culture. The idea that some evolutionary biologist, who's a popularizer of science rather than a researcher to boot, trying to revolutionize anthropology by introducing the revolutionary idea of "memes". "What if there are things like genes that make up culture and mediate cultural change!"

It's pretty obvious that people like LWers would lap that poo poo up and coin new neologisms like 'memeplex' rather than 'ethos.'

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Did he try to do more with the idea than just suggesting it as a notion in one of his books? That's all I remember but I haven't read all of his work.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Peel posted:

Did he try to do more with the idea than just suggesting it as a notion in one of his books? That's all I remember but I haven't read all of his work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tIwYNioDL8

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Nessus posted:

I wonder how many of them first encountered the concept in a Metal Gear game.

certainly not me :v:

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Yeah.

This is weird since, going by meme theory, wouldn't the fact the "ideas they don't like" are so mainstream and successful make those ideas superior to the idiocy they believe?

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

This is weird since, going by meme theory, wouldn't the fact the "ideas they don't like" are so mainstream and successful make those ideas superior to the idiocy they believe?

But you see, the cathedral is cheating. They memetically inoculate your minds to make you resistant to actually good ideas about reality. The only solution is to take the red pill.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

You are applying waaaaayyy more consistency to meme theory than people like to. Just assume everything you believe is the result of pure reason and evidence, and just assume everything people you don't like believe are the result of being infected by evil Cthulhu mind viruses.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Fundamental attribution error: the complete ideology

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

You are applying waaaaayyy more consistency to meme theory than people like to. Just assume everything you believe is the result of pure reason and evidence, and just assume everything people you don't like believe are the result of being infected by evil Cthulhu mind viruses.

Something Awful > Post Your Favorite (or Request) > Dark Enlightenment: People they don't like are infected by evil Cthulhu mind viruses

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
For a movement founded by atheists, they keep loving adding stupid new memeplex and general tendencies based Gods, because meta-level politics are where STEM hubris and Mrs Henderson's 5th Grade Social Studies Class meet.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

"BEEF Tensors!" made me giggle :3:

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

For a movement founded by atheists, they keep loving adding stupid new memeplex and general tendencies based Gods, because meta-level politics are where STEM hubris and Mrs Henderson's 5th Grade Social Studies Class meet.

I assume a lot of this is just a holdover from people who grew up in Fundamentalist culture, which is SUUUUUPER big on Rationalism and the idea that you can figure the world out by making assumptions and backing them up with smart-sounding words. I see a lot of atheists from these backgrounds who've rejected the assumption of God but haven't made it out of the cultural underpinnings that came with it, so they just end up blundering into the same religion but with a different deity.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Puppy Time posted:

I assume a lot of this is just a holdover from people who grew up in Fundamentalist culture, which is SUUUUUPER big on Rationalism and the idea that you can figure the world out by making assumptions and backing them up with smart-sounding words. I see a lot of atheists from these backgrounds who've rejected the assumption of God but haven't made it out of the cultural underpinnings that came with it, so they just end up blundering into the same religion but with a different deity.
Yeah I've noticed this a lot myself, it's like there's a Jesus-shaped hole in the psyche somewhere. It's a little surprising that Elizeier Yudkowsky has seemed to be on that train too, of course, but there's no guarantee he got educated rigorously in Judaism.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
Intellectual pareidolia, possibly.

Humans really, really like finding order and meaning in things and we'll often find it even if it isn't actually there. I don't think you have to be raised religiously to do this.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Heresiarch posted:

Intellectual pareidolia, possibly.

Humans really, really like finding order and meaning in things and we'll often find it even if it isn't actually there. I don't think you have to be raised religiously to do this.

The worst thing about these guys is that they make me doubt myself in some of my more carefully observed and constructed conclusions about the world, and not on any sound basis, just "these guys think they're rational and they're crazy"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ikanreed posted:

The worst thing about these guys is that they make me doubt myself in some of my more carefully observed and constructed conclusions about the world, and not on any sound basis, just "these guys think they're rational and they're crazy"

I mean it's good that you can doubt some of your conclusions about the world because these idiots obviously cannot.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Jack Gladney posted:

That's a tiny bit less crazy than it sounds, since syphilis was cured with malaria before antibiotics were invented.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ikanreed posted:

Is that a bad thing? I assume I'm probably wrong about a lot of stuff that seems self-evident and straight-forward to me, because it seems like everyone is.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Yeah there's probably a bunch of poo poo we're completely wrong about, although it would probably be silly to assume that would necessarily mean magic will become real and the AI God will emerge to take us warmly in hand. Still, you do the best you can with what you have.

What I imagine a lot of these pricks want to do is to make disproven or meaningless ideas, which support their personal hobby horses, become accepted as self-evident truths again.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I mean it's good that you can doubt some of your conclusions about the world because these idiots obviously cannot.

Pretty much this. The complete lack of doubt on the side of these people is what makes them so infuriating. There can be no rationality without being able to doubt oneself and be willing to go back on one's own convictions (which is why I always feel a little uneasy when politicians are accused of flip-flopping on an issue), and here we have people who claim the term of rationality while spouting outlandish ideas as self-evident truths.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Zemyla posted:

That's a tiny bit less crazy than it sounds, since syphilis was cured with malaria before antibiotics were invented.

quote:

Treatment with malaria was cheap, fast-acting and relatively non-toxic compared to the mercury therapeutics that had been the most viable extant option, and Wagner-Jauregg’s treatment became the go-to therapy for syphilis.

As if the history of syphilis wasnt nightmarish enough.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

"The true sage lights his way with the torch of confusion and doubt."
- Zhuangzi (IIRC)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

ArchangeI posted:

Pretty much this. The complete lack of doubt on the side of these people is what makes them so infuriating. There can be no rationality without being able to doubt oneself and be willing to go back on one's own convictions (which is why I always feel a little uneasy when politicians are accused of flip-flopping on an issue), and here we have people who claim the term of rationality while spouting outlandish ideas as self-evident truths.
Which of those guys a few pages back said "as we stop using this 'rationality' thing and go with intuition and working from first principles, we find we become more and more right wing"? Because, I mean, you know.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Nessus posted:

It's a little surprising that Elizeier Yudkowsky has seemed to be on that train too, of course, but there's no guarantee he got educated rigorously in Judaism.

He was.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Heresiarch posted:

"The true sage lights his way with the torch of confusion and doubt."
- Zhuangzi (IIRC)

Now I'm just remembering the guy with the Zhuangzhi avatar who will not shut up about how unfairly persecuted gamergate and the puppies are.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Found it

https://twitter.com/st_rev/status/570293549960458240

I'm a modern day descendant of great skeptics like Hume and Zhuangzi. They taught me to never question the narrative my friends are buying into!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Tiggum posted:

Is that a bad thing? I assume I'm probably wrong about a lot of stuff that seems self-evident and straight-forward to me, because it seems like everyone is.

I know what you mean, but the lack of a sound basis is a bad thing. "I could just be an idiot who thinks he's smarter than he is" isn't that.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Most of the lost works of the Ancient Chinese Taoist philosophers are complaining about how unfairly persecuted gamers are, and how evil and abusive SJWs are.

While this might lead us to judge them harshly, we must remember that neither videogames, nor ethics in video games had been invented yet, so this really just shows how forward thinking they were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Now that I think of it, it is solely due to hardcore white supremacy that all these assholes don't just embrace Confucianism.