Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

What a riveting discussion.
- These gamergate guys are dumb.
- They sure are!

Can we move to something more interesting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Also it looks kind of gross.
Not with games it doesn't. Most games have been 60fps since the beginning. It would probably be easy to jump from watching old TV shows into looking at 24fps photorealistic games or something, though.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I have finally started watching Tropes in Video Games vs. Women; I have just finished the third Damsel in Distress video. Unsurprisingly, it is a fair criticism of issues in gaming that people are being big babies about.

Is there any truth, however, in the rumors I have heard about Sarkeesian? That there is a video of her saying that she was never into video games (not that this invalidates her POV, it's just that she mentioned that she loved Zelda and Mario as a child in one of her videos) and that she Made a Kickstarter without producing what she promised?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

paradoxGentleman posted:

I have finally started watching Tropes in Video Games vs. Women; I have just finished the third Damsel in Distress video. Unsurprisingly, it is a fair criticism of issues in gaming that people are being big babies about.

Is there any truth, however, in the rumors I have heard about Sarkeesian? That there is a video of her saying that she was never into video games (not that this invalidates her POV, it's just that she mentioned that she loved Zelda and Mario as a child in one of her videos) and that she Made a Kickstarter without producing what she promised?

She did a talk once where she said that when she was young she played video games a lot, but as she got older she felt alienated by the hobby, so much so that she didn't consider herself a gamer because of what the community around video games had evolved into, and how most video games were nothing but violence. It's only more recently that she's started picking them up again.

There's only one timy part that's ever quoted by gamergate sorts, I bolded it in case you can't quite guess what it is!

(IIRC the talk also took place a few years before starting this project, which even if she said "I hate video games and want to destroy them with inoffensive feminism 101 critique" there was enough time for that opinion to change)

vvvvvv
lmao

egg tats fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Oct 8, 2015

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
While I've got nothing against her, she's made it pretty clear that she's only making internet videos to gain political leverage, not because she gives a rat's rear end about depictions of anything in videogames. A textbook politician, really. Ran for the UN as soon as she got the chance, even though none of the issues she's had have anything to do with global politics and everything to do with frustrated children and manchildren seeking an outlet and/or targets.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

People got super assblasted over her getting to go to the UN, still don't know why.

Like other than just being another big chance to cry that a woman's doing something I mean.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Oct 8, 2015

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

quakster posted:

While I've got nothing against her, she's made it pretty clear that she's only making internet videos to gain political leverage, not because she gives a rat's rear end about depictions of anything in videogames. A textbook politician, really. Ran for the UN as soon as she got the chance, even though none of the issues she's had have anything to do with global politics and everything to do with frustrated children and manchildren seeking an outlet and/or targets.

lolwut

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

You don't understand, when asked to speak before the UN, the only pure response is to pop a sweet wheelie and tell them to "flip" off.

Anything else is just shady politics, especially if you're a prominent activist.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Anita Sarkeesian now wields the sweet, sweet political power held by people who say some stuff to the UN. Truly she is a real-life Frank Underwood.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Videogames are doomed, a woman has talked to the United Nations

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Please do not internet critic thread this thread up.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Some day I hope I can experience a taste of the sheer, unmitigated political power that is giving non-binding advice to a powerless international body.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Wait, isn't getting to talk with the UN kind of a big deal?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

paradoxGentleman posted:

Not really. What are they gonna do, put trade sanctions on videogames and Twitter harassment?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

Obviously on a personal level it's a big neat thing, but it's not like they're gonna actually do anything. I'd imagine a bunch of the gamergoober lameasses are just sulking because nobody of importance cares about their opinions outside of laughing at them.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

From the constant retweeting on my dash, folk got way more skeeved at them visiting Google HQ.

To whoever was like "Buh Jontron was actually cool with ZQ stop spreading drama", he did poo poo on her around the time GG started, with a comment on why would folk follow someone who wasn't all that pretty to seduce folk into her cause. It should be mentioned here that when he was stating this, he was the literal definition of neckbeard. I don't have the comment with me here, but I do recall seeing that.

... Non Gaaaberglaaarg stuff? Huuuuh, click here for a mystery that lasted for 25 years for me to get solved.

Ok, who is better at rambling about floppy disks: LGR or CCR?

Kunster fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Oct 8, 2015

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It is pretty dumb that she was literally advocating for government censorship to stop people from disagreeing with her on twitter

paradoxGentleman posted:

From my experience Sarkeesian's views are pretty plagued with confirmation bias. She said The Witcher 3 was sexist because the bad guys sometimes call you a oval office :confused:

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Stuff... got worse than just disagreements tho!

Also, did someone piss in the water in the early 2000's and made way too much folk not get that inherent bias is always going to be A Thing and it's up to the viewer to discern it rather than just point at poo poo one doesn't agree and rather than go "I disagree with this", it's "No, this is illogical because it has huuh, Bias. No nature specified of said Bias, just Bias." Is this how we got people get really weepy about Gawker and Kotaku and go to the American Enterprise Insititute and Breitbart and Avpixlat for "unbiased" stuff. My God.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 8, 2015

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Less intelligible than a Cyron post. Shameful.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Kunster posted:

Ok, who is better at rambling about floppy disks: LGR or CCR?

I refuse to believe that there's anyone better at rambling about redundant technology than CGR. :colbert:

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I laughed when that popped on my watch list. Then again that was the guy that reviewed a black paralelipiped.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

watho posted:

I refuse to believe that there's anyone better at rambling about redundant technology than CGR. :colbert:
Game Sack does a pretty solid job at it. Must be the same type of oldnerd.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Augus posted:

She said The Witcher 3 was sexist because the bad guys sometimes call you a oval office :confused:

If you can show me Anita Sarkeesian ever actually uttering the words "this game is sexist" I will send you $100.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

quakster posted:

Less intelligible than a Cyron post. Shameful.

I haven't said anything, why the gently caress am I being dragged into this topic?

ANYWAYS, there is a new How2Wrestling out now that focus on the indie team the young bucks, this is a great show if you want to know more about the indies and japan and had your fill of WWE history.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 8, 2015

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

DStecks posted:

If you can show me Anita Sarkeesian ever actually uttering the words "this game is sexist" I will send you $100.

Fine, "problematic" or whatever. Saying the same thing in innuendo.

Kunster posted:

Also, did someone piss in the water in the early 2000's and made way too much folk not get that inherent bias is always going to be A Thing and it's up to the viewer to discern it rather than just point at poo poo one doesn't agree and rather than go "I disagree with this", it's "No, this is illogical because it has huuh, Bias. No nature specified of said Bias, just Bias." Is this how we got people get really weepy about Gawker and Kotaku and go to the American Enterprise Insititute and Breitbart and Avpixlat for "unbiased" stuff. My God.

The censorship she was advocating wouldn't discriminate between disagreements and actual harassment. Under her definition someone could be harassing Gearbox by posting on their Twitter page about how Aliens Colonial Marines was a pile of poo poo and they are lying scumbags who sold us an unfinished game

And I say she has confirmation bias because she's already made the conclusion that video games are sexist and is nitpicking evidence to support her conclusion. She divorces examples from their original context and makes leaps in logic to make them support her views.

Like, I agree that video games are sexist, but Sarkeesian is a hack who doesn't know what she's talking about.

She also seems to think that women aren't allowed to experience conflict or adversity in video games, because three-dimensional character building and actual storytelling is sexist too.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

DStecks posted:

That's like asking for someone to find a specific time Trump said "I hate Mexicans". Not being able to find the exact quote doesn't mean Trump isn't racist against Latinos. Regardless Anita said basically nothing about the Witcher 3 at all, the person who was raising a fit about that game was Macintosh.

Augus posted:

She also seems to think that women aren't allowed to experience conflict or adversity in video games, because three-dimensional character building and actual storytelling is sexist too.
Funny I've seen this claim before and as far as I can tell it's bullshit. All of the "proof" that I've seen of it is just Macintosh on the company twitter. Is the problem that it's a picture of Anita on the FemFrequency twitter?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Augus posted:

Fine, "problematic" or whatever. Saying the same thing in innuendo.

Terrible Opinions posted:

That's like asking for someone to find a specific time Trump said "I hate Mexicans". Not being able to find the exact quote doesn't mean Trump isn't racist against Latinos. Regardless Anita said basically nothing about the Witcher 3 at all, the person who was raising a fit about that game was Macintosh.

EDIT:

Donald Trump calling Mexicans rapists in those exact words posted:

When Mexico (meaning the Mexican Government) sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you (pointing to the audience). They’re not sending you (pointing again). They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems to us. They’re bringing drugs.They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people!

It's not a small loving distinction when Anita says in every single video that critically evaluating games does not make them bad for having bad things in them, so no, you loving do not get to claim that it's "saying the same thing in innuendo". You are the one reading that meaning into her statements. Since you appear to be literate, you can appreciate the difference between saying "this game has sexist elements" and "this game is sexist".

Augus posted:

And I say she has confirmation bias because she's already made the conclusion that video games are sexist and is nitpicking evidence to support her conclusion. She divorces examples from their original context and makes leaps in logic to make them support her views.

Like, I agree that video games are sexist, but Sarkeesian is a hack who doesn't know what she's talking about.

Okay everyone, gather around because this right here is why Anita has to be feminism 101: because even when she's almost patronizingly exact in all of her statements, you get people who have literally no clue what she's saying. Like, you could not miss the points that TvW is making any harder if you tried, assuming you've even watched them and aren't just forming your opinions from second-hand "paraphrases" like your point above about "I heard Anita said Witcher 3 is bad because it has bad words".

DStecks fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 8, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Augus posted:

As someone who literally just listened to her talking about violence on women in games, I can tell you that she disapproves of women being used as an object to enhance a male's story while having no agency whatsoever, not of them facing adversities. She uses fighting games as an example: as long as the women are on pretty much the same level as their male counterparts, she's cool with it.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Funny I've seen this claim before and as far as I can tell it's bullshit. All of the "proof" that I've seen of it is just Macintosh on the company twitter. Is the problem that it's a picture of Anita on the FemFrequency twitter?

Then maybe that is a issue? she can be smart in all the news interviews all she wants but as long as Macintosh is still posting his views on twitter with her face, then it just going to make people hate her for the wrong reasons. the average gamer have no clue who Macintosh is but when he post his opinions on twitter with Anita's face on it people are going to think it's her.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 8, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Are you guys going to be mad if I ask you who Macintosh is and what has he done? I don't use Twitter but I have heard of him, never in flattering tones.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

DStecks posted:

It's not a small loving distinction when Anita says in every single video that critically evaluating games does not make them bad for having bad things in them, so no, you loving do not get to claim that it's "saying the same thing in innuendo". You are the one reading that meaning into her statements. Since you appear to be literate, you can appreciate the difference between saying "this game has sexist elements" and "this game is sexist".
I honestly don't see the distinction between those two things as that big, but then I also don't have a problem with her calling games sexist. A lot of the games discussed are either whole heartedly sexist like say Duke Nukem* or based on foundation assumptions that are themselves sexist like say Mario. Is it possible to "forgive" games in the latter category? Yes, but it's still splitting hairs to claim it's not sexist, but has sexist elements when the entire foundation of its narrative is sexist. There's also nothing wrong with pointing this out.

*I dont remember if DN is discussed in the series proper or in a supplemental article, so sorry if it's not in a video.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

paradoxGentleman posted:

Are you guys going to be mad if I ask you who Macintosh is and what has he done? I don't use Twitter but I have heard of him, never in flattering tones.

He's one of Anita's producers who is very privileged and very opposed to violence period. As such he will use social media outlets to criticize any use of violence in any media, as being dangerous to society. He will also attempt to claim any use of violence is inherently masculine and sexist.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's best not to get McIntosh's twitter bile mixed up with Anita's work. I've said it before but he's just a blowhard who throws a fit any time a game does something he doesn't like. Like have violence in it or set in post-apocalyptia. When the Mad Max game trailer was shown he was going on about how there was another violent post apocalyptic game, oblivious to the fact that Mad Max pretty much made that setting mainstream. I have a sneaking suspicion he hijacks Anita's account because they both say roughly the exact same thing around the same time.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Kunster posted:

Look man:
I loved Anita Sarkeesian
more than I can possibly say.
She was a real pretty gal...
Nice tits... a looker.
But
She was always trying to fix things.
She'd go out every video
looking for inequality
and on the way
She criticized GTA,
The Witcher,
Metal Gear, and Mario.
I guess you can say the problem
Was because of a difference of opinion.
She saw herself as alive
and I saw her dead.

[bridge]
The dirty whore, whore, whore, whore, whore!
The dirty whore, whore, whore, whore, whore!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

He's one of Anita's producers who is very privileged and very opposed to violence period. As such he will use social media outlets to criticize any use of violence in any media, as being dangerous to society. He will also attempt to claim any use of violence is inherently masculine and sexist.

I didn't know that he ran the feminist frequency Twitter. If I'm confusing his views with Sarkeesian's I apologize.

That Macintosh guy is an idiot though. Seriously Witcher 3 is sexist because the bad guys use the word oval office? Come on dude

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Ok, did you come up with that Or did you quote that from the GamerGate Sings site?

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Kunster posted:

Ok, did you come up with that Or did you quote that from the GamerGate Sings site?

I hope to god it from a gamergate site since that is a ton of effort for nothing and the song is out of tune.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
MacIntosh has the word "radical" in his twitter handle, and self-identifying as "(a) radical" is highly comorbid with being an insufferable jerkass.

That's true for a lot of adjectives, really, but to go further would involve me basically just regurgitating my nuanced positions on identity politics and self-determination and that would bore everyone to tears.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

MacIntosh has the word "radical" in his twitter handle, and self-identifying as "(a) radical" is highly comorbid with being an insufferable jerkass.

That's true for a lot of adjectives, really, but to go further would involve me basically just regurgitating my nuanced positions on identity politics and self-determination and that would bore everyone to tears.

Please don't be Watsonian at people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Augus I think we need to make sure you're clear. You know the UN has literally never had the power to 'censor' anything and does not have that power now, and her entire thing was just basically a 'yea it kinda sucks that the internet is this huge wild west where a dude can post my address and my parents' address and say 'I'm going to come to your house and rape you to death' and the most the cops can do is go 'whew that sure sounds rough, anyway call us if you get his actual name and poo poo I guess'.'

• Locked thread