Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Does the AI follow the actual real history of the areas or is the AI gonna do whatever it wants? I can't quite figure it out, if its doing the samething each time and My actions change their behavior, or if their behavior is different each time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Jastiger posted:

Does the AI follow the actual real history of the areas or is the AI gonna do whatever it wants? I can't quite figure it out, if its doing the samething each time and My actions change their behavior, or if their behavior is different each time.

The short answer is it does whatever, but just like you the AI gets missions toward specific goals and they will usually follow them. So the Ottomans get missions to conquer the Middle East that give them a bunch of claims, and so on.

There is a feature called Lucky Nations that by default is set as "historical." This makes a bunch of the historical world powers of the time period, like France, England, Ottomans, Spain, Muscovy have really strong bonuses to keep them strong like they actually were. I recommend newbies turn Lucky Nations off when starting new games since it can make France and friends really frustrating until you're familiar with the game.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Jastiger posted:

There is AI scripting going on, most of it not particularly grounded in history. The drive to unite their country is pretty extreme, as you'll see when Austria constantly bulldozes it's way through southern Germany to connect Sundgau. There are a number of events and missions that attempt to steer the AI in a more historical course, but some are kind of jarring, like the event that gives France claims on all of Naples. They'll destroy Naples, take 4 provinces, and then never take anything else for the next 200 years. :iiam:

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Rakthar posted:

Eastern lets you run 40% Infantry, 60% Cavalry. Western caps it at 50/50. It makes a difference if you actually want to run Cav heavy armies, you have more headroom for infantry losses before you start worrying about the combat penalty kicking in due to insufficient infantry. This works very nicely with the +33% cav combat ability that Commonwealth gets.

Western countries cannot make vassals out of Indian countries, so once you get past Afghanistan you either need to annex or Protectorate them if you're Western. If you're Eastern you can force vassal / integrate as normal while conquering.

Eastern countries get a -10% Western Arms Trade bonus, so the 20% tech penalty is really a 10% Tech Penalty. Whether you think 10% tech cost is worth being able to run more cav and make Indian vassals is up to you, but you have the choice.

Westernizing doesn't make you lose the eastern military tech units or cav proportion.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Potooweet posted:

Westernizing doesn't make you lose the eastern military tech units or cav proportion.

Shame getting access to better units as the nomads loses you the 100% cav proportion. Running around with a midgame army of nothing but cavalry and artillery sounds fun.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Good news! Hordes get new units in 1.14. Meaning I have zero intention of ever reforming. 50% Cav, 50% arty, and Tribal Conquest all over everybody's asses.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

If I have the option to contest a succession war (i.e., I get the popup about contesting when another nation gains a union), and I win that war, does the heirless nation end up in a union under me if I win? The wiki is less than clear on this subject.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

PittTheElder posted:

Good news! Hordes get new units in 1.14. Meaning I have zero intention of ever reforming. 50% Cav, 50% arty, and Tribal Conquest all over everybody's asses.

I'm just afraid of what will be the downside. I'm guessing the game is still going to want to make reforming worthwhile. Otherwise hordes are going to be obscenely good, and EU4 isn't their time period anymore.

Bold Robot posted:

If I have the option to contest a succession war (i.e., I get the popup about contesting when another nation gains a union), and I win that war, does the heirless nation end up in a union under me if I win? The wiki is less than clear on this subject.

You need to choose the personal union demand when sueing for peace. I think. But yes, contest away.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PittTheElder posted:

I cant loving wait.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Node posted:

I'm just afraid of what will be the downside. I'm guessing the game is still going to want to make reforming worthwhile. Otherwise hordes are going to be obscenely good, and EU4 isn't their time period anymore.

Pretty sure it's gonna be that Horde unity value or whatever it's called. It's going to force you to be attacking almost always, and make it really tough to ever take a breather to rebuild at all. I suspect one badly lost war will wreck you.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Did they show the unit pips? I'd put my money on them being categorically worse for equivalent tech level.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah they did. I didn't look to closely at the infantry, but the cavalry are about on par. They don't get new units for the final techs but then a few other groups don't either.

Keep in mind, hordes still have the 75% tech penalty and 25% autonomy floor, it's not like they don't have some handicaps already. I'm gonna be mad disappointed if they nerf any of these new features, they all look really fun. Unity requiring constant wars like Pitt says would be good though.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Oct 8, 2015

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
From what they've said razing will also boost horde unity and the screen shot they provided showed that it gives a very good boost so losing a war probably just means that you have to cut down some of your development or face low discipline and higher unrest.

Didn't they add a new CB to unify China? I'm doing a Qing game and having to fabricate on Ming every time is a pain in the rear end.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I feel kind of bad that nomadic eurasians get such a bad rap (lol "hordes") but at least they have the Syncretic thing I guess.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Ithle01 posted:

Didn't they add a new CB to unify China? I'm doing a Qing game and having to fabricate on Ming every time is a pain in the rear end.

Assuming you meet the other requirements: Unify China only works on the Ming if they've lost the Mandate of Heaven.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll do the tutorial (I was kind of avoiding it since I've run through CK2's and its very out of date and unhelpful so I thought it'd be the same kinda deal) and see how far I get! Wish me luck!

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Out of curiosity, is there a mod that either turns the Philippines and other island chains off of Southeast Asia into CNs or otherwise lets Nationalist Revolts form on them (inactive cores or something?). Making them into CNs wouldn't be very historically accurate, but it's also bizarre to see Rebels holding the entirety of The Philippines under their grip for decades and being unable to actually do anything with that leverage despite Spain being very far away, deeply in debt, and otherwise completely collapsing.

Adding some sort of nationalism to Southeast Asia/Oceania outside of Colonial Australia is also on my wishlist of features that will never actually get made.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You could create a custom nation on them, but that would possibly get frustrating to do each game.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013
New Dev Diary: Culture conversion changes and merc changes.

dev diary posted:

Free in the 1.14 patch is a change to canals that will prevent anyone who is at war with the owner of the canal from moving their ships through it.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-dev-diary-october-8th.885819/

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Awesome stuff, but unfortunately it looks like my all-mercs-all-day strategy has finally met its end. Fiddle played, etc.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That's a nice canal change. "Daneslayer" is such a diplomatic name. What's the character limit on the names anyway? This quote from Tropico 5 seems relevant somehow: :v:

quote:

The ruler of Zaire had his name changed to Mobutu Sese Seko Nkuku Ngbendu Wa Za Banga ("The all-powerful warrior who, because of his endurance and inflexible will to win, goes from conquest to conquest, leaving fire in his wake").

I'd really like if the game only highlighted the relevant provinces for the building limit when you try and build manufactories. The game is currently highlighting Crete in yellow to inform me that I can't place any more buildings there despite that I'm trying to place a weapons manufactory which you can't even build on Crete in the first place (they produce fish).

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

King Hitler XII "Kill-A-Frenchie" Lancaster

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

This expansion is looking amazing. I've always wanted the option to culture-convert beyond just to your primary.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

All in all, a very successful run as Mutapa. I was able to successfully colonise Brazil, Australia, California, and the East Indies, while I was able to stack so much discipline and morale that my armies could punch way above their weight, with me being able to slaughter Ottoman armies that outnumbered me 3 to 1. Which is good, because my manpower sucked throughout the game even with Quantity; I didn't break 100K manpower until the 1700's.

Overall, I had a ton of fun and I'd recommend Mutapa to someone looking to try a game in Africa.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

The army builder still needs to behave better with the number of provinces you have.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Overall I like the changes, again. I was hoping for a complete Culture re-work (I'm not sure what exactly I was hoping for, but I was hoping for something a bit more realistic I guess?)

Dibujante is this you?

Baron Porkface posted:

The army builder still needs to behave better with the number of provinces you have.
I still will never use it unless I can pick where things are built rather than just the province where I want the units to collect once they are built.
edit: though I guess this is now less of an issue with land units because there is not a building that makes them 20% cheaper to recruit and maintain.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 8, 2015

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Pellisworth posted:

Regarding Venice -> Byzantium, here's my game in 1550. Have all the unique Venice stuff and ready to convert to Orthodox and form Byzantium, but even though I've been fairly conservative in my expansion (and am DROWNING in monarch points, 6 years ahead in all techs) I have too many non-Orthodox provinces. I'll probably need to break all my alliances and maybe integrate Syria so no one kills the Zealot rebels, and sit around for a couple decades hoping they convert enough provinces for me to flip.

So yeah if you do Venice -> Byzantium make sure you don't go much below 50% Orthodox provinces, ideally have a majority so you can easily flip.

What idea sets did you go for after the opening Plutocratic/Humanist?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
As Venice I somehow managed to get a 'Annexed Subjects' modifier with no end date. How do I edit the save file to remove it?

e: never mind, save/reload did the trick.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Kalos posted:

Assuming you meet the other requirements: Unify China only works on the Ming if they've lost the Mandate of Heaven.

Thanks, that's never going to happen though. Ming is incredibly stable right now so I guess I'll just have to pick away at them until I can dominate them in the war after the next war.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bold Robot posted:

What idea sets did you go for after the opening Plutocratic/Humanist?

I would skip Humanist, it doesn't really fit with Venice -> Byz. Step back for a moment and ask yourself, what are the strengths of Venice -> Byzantium?

I'd say:

-Merchant Republic with unique Venetian modifiers (up to +0.6/year RT) will have you swimming in cash and monarch points
-Great geographic positioning. Lots of islands and peninsulas to exploit naval dominance, you have the easiest access to expanding into the Levant and Eastern Med of any Western nation. You can do the Ottoman far-overseas coring discount fuckery and block Africa and Asia off using vassals to core them all for half price, then integrate late game to get all that territory at low autonomy. You also can easily beat the Iberians to the Cape and most of Africa and Asian colonization if you take some Red Sea coast from the Mamluks and Exploration.
-After going Orthodox and forming Byz, absolute best-in-game religious conversion and tolerance modifiers. Taking Jerusalem is easy for an extra missionary, Rome isn't too bad for another couple missionaries.

What are you lacking? Point discounts and army strength, Byz will be good on manpower with their NI bonuses and Orthodox Patriarch Authority, but otherwise you just get +5% Discipline. No coring discounts or stuff like that, though notably you get massive Prestige (at 100 Prestige you have +50% Better Relations Over Time) and can alternate wars between Christians and Muslims so AE is not a huge concern.

It's true your Religious Unity will be crap until you form Byz and convert, and you'll have to put down some rebellions. Even though Humanist would help with that, I don't see what it does for you after you're Byzantium. You want to use your strong missionaries and just convert everything to Orthodox. You're not getting any other Heretic/Heathen tolerance or Cultural Acceptance, so long term you're going to be converting stuff anyway. Humanist just seems unnecessary.

On the other hand the -2 RR from Plutocratic is really nice and in general it's a great idea set. Not all that strong militarily mind you, it's like half Trade but that's cool too.

I would go (not necessarily in this order, second option more colonial focus)
Influence or Exploration
Admin
Plutocratic or Quantity
<other military idea> or Expansion
<more army stuff>

My strategy last game and I what I would probably recommend is taking Exploration early and grabbing the Cape and Africa/Asia, but not necessarily going whole hog on colonization by also getting Expansion and Quantity. You could of course do that, but you'll have a hard time steering New World trade home unless/until you dominate Genoa. I think the best return on investment is Exploration and getting Cape then colonize east through SE Asia, skip the New World.

Edit: also if you're playing on Ironman and/or willing to restart a few times, having both Austria and Poland rivaled to the Ottomans at the start makes it super easy. Poland will usually rival Ottomans, Austria will need a few restarts to get both of them on board but it's pretty hard to gently caress up your first war with the Ottos as Venice + Austria + Poland/Lithuania.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 8, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

What's a good first three idea groups for Muscovy? I'm really tempted to go with Admin and/or Influence, because I've got just a poo poo ton of coring to do - Novgorod alone is 1190 base points. But that would severely delay settling Siberia and I don't want to wait too long and discover Spaniards in Kamchatka. Maybe Admin/Exploration would be better? Or Expansion/Influence? Or I could just say gently caress it to coring costs and go Exploration/Expansion.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

What's a good first three idea groups for Muscovy? I'm really tempted to go with Admin and/or Influence, because I've got just a poo poo ton of coring to do - Novgorod alone is 1190 base points. But that would severely delay settling Siberia and I don't want to wait too long and discover Spaniards in Kamchatka. Maybe Admin/Exploration would be better? Or Expansion/Influence? Or I could just say gently caress it to coring costs and go Exploration/Expansion.

There's been some good discussion about this in the last couple months. The consensus is Religious is a really good idea as it lets you expand into the steppe hordes sooner.

Taking Exploration and going hardcore colonial Russia is an option, in which case you'd look something like Exploration, Religious, Defensive (or Quantity), Expansion, another military idea, woops the game's over. This allows you to haul rear end across Siberia and hit the Pacific about 1550, from there you can colonize Asia and grab a few Colonial Nations in the western US. I even managed to get all of the Cape last time. However, Russia is pretty strapped for cash and the investment in colonization will slow down your early expansion.

You don't at all need to take Exploration to beat the Iberians to Siberia. If you don't give a poo poo about a sprawling trans-Pacific colonial empire and just want to paint Asia olive drab, skip Exploration and get Influence. Taking Expansion fourth on top of your colonist from NIs will be plenty to cover Siberia.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Is Admin not as good as I think it is?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Humanist as an Orthodox country is one of the dumbest ideas ever because the PA bonuses only apply to Orthodox provinces, except for the missionary strength of course. Humanist for Venetian Byzantium will do nothing for you after the first 50 years, whereas if you take Religious instead you'll maybe get an extra revolt wave but you'll get a ridiculously strong CB against all of your neighbors until you start brushing up against Georgia and Russia. If you are really desperate about getting accepted cultures for some reason you can take humanist later on too. I think there's an RT policy that involves Humanist so it wouldn't be the worst idea.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

It's good I just find it hard to fit in as Muscovy. They're really the only start that players commonly recommend Religious for, and you'll probably also want Expansion fourth or fifth at the latest.

It's pretty tough to convert Sunni without Religious. You can slowly pump up your PA and get Inquisitor advisers and convert, but high PA will ruin your early game income (which relies a lot more on taxes than later) and it's a lot slower than with Religious.

You also don't get a lot from the merc bonuses in Admin. It's a good pick just hard to fit in with Religious and Expansion, so you'll want to prioritize based on how badly you want to conquer vs. colonize.

Edit: also keep in mind you'll still pay half coring cost for India and China as long as you don't have a land connection.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 8, 2015

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

I am planning a Muscowy game and I'll pick Admin first, fill until the core discount then focus on tech again. That 25% reduced coring cost/time ist just too good. You can pick up Religious as 4th Idea if you run into problems converting.

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

Poil posted:

I'd really like if the game only highlighted the relevant provinces for the building limit when you try and build manufactories. The game is currently highlighting Crete in yellow to inform me that I can't place any more buildings there despite that I'm trying to place a weapons manufactory which you can't even build on Crete in the first place (they produce fish).

Allowing us to equip our armies with weapons-grade fish seems like a much more sensible solution.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Tahirovic posted:

I am planning a Muscowy game and I'll pick Admin first, fill until the core discount then focus on tech again. That 25% reduced coring cost/time ist just too good. You can pick up Religious as 4th Idea if you run into problems converting.

With Muscovy, you are better suited to enjoy your ridiculous manpower vantage and -infantry cost than relying on mercenaries, IMO

I still need to devise a reasonably good strategy and progression for Russia as of Common Sense. Religious/Influence/Defensive/Expansion/Trade/Quantity is my way to go, but I end up having a loving tremendous gap in tech while stomping all around.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Transmetropolitan posted:

With Muscovy, you are better suited to enjoy your ridiculous manpower vantage and -infantry cost than relying on mercenaries, IMO

I still need to devise a reasonably good strategy and progression for Russia as of Common Sense. Religious/Influence/Defensive/Expansion/Trade/Quantity is my way to go, but I end up having a loving tremendous gap in tech while stomping all around.

The dirty Russian westernization trick is to get in on a Teutonic Order curbstomp and force release of Danzig, then diplo-vassalize them. Boom free Westernization at your leisure.

Idea picks on a spectrum from hardcore colonizer / conqueror:

Exploration/Influence
Religious/Admin
Quantity/Defensive
Expansion
<your pick military idea>
<maybe Trade but probably another military idea>
<game is pretty much over>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012
My mercs. :negative:

I like the culture change update, that was a mechanic that was basically useless before and looks like it will be much better after the patch

• Locked thread