Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

zoux posted:

I dunno about real blackness but I do want a president that knows what a debt limit is.

That's like 3/4 of the Republican party, to be fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I just don't get what's so compelling about Ben Carson that he's polling second. He's a terrible speaker, his policy positions are dead standard for a GOP candidate, what's the appeal?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
"See! We aren't racist!"

He's the political candidate equivalent of "my black friend".

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

zoux posted:

I just don't get what's so compelling about Ben Carson that he's polling second. He's a terrible speaker, his policy positions are dead standard for a GOP candidate, what's the appeal?

He's not a politician and They Like That. And did you hear what he said about #BlackLivesMatter??? Just let them Leeeberals lecture him!

Also,

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

"See! We aren't racist!"

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

zoux posted:

One Of The Good Ones (tm)

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

zoux posted:

"See! We aren't racist!"

iirc most of the buzz started and is being perpetuated by major media. It isn't natural appeal and it'll be dumped before long.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

zoux posted:

He's black, not a politician, and tells it how it is. Perfect person for racist poo poo heads to prop up so they can say "see! I'm not a racist piece of poo poo!"

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

See also:

Carly Fiorina

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Fiorinas popular because she's Skeletors long lost cousin.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

quote:

@rupertmurdoch · 1h1 hour ago
Apologies! No offence meant. Personally find both men charming.

lol

See also:

Carly Fiorina

Oh, no they genuinely like her. She's a blood-thirsty, corporatist.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Yeah but being able to go "what war on women? :smug:" adds to her appeal.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Fundraising disclosure day in the Commonwealth

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

He lets people say "hmm you think Republicans are racist against Obama? Well why don't you want to vote for Carson over Hillary then? :smug:"

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Yeah but being able to go "what war on women? :smug:" adds to her appeal.

I would love to see Hillary and Carly on stage.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

note: the Republican Attorney Generals' Association has been spending heavily for Westerfield, so that race isn't as lopsided, money-wise, as it looks.

Normally they don't invest that heavily in campaigns. The Republicans must be anxious to prevent the rise of a Beshear dynasty.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

Clinically depressed suicidal people aren't rational actors who compare shop suicide methods. Suicide attempts are often spontaneous and committed with what's at hand. That's why less than 2 percent of pill attempts are non fatal, most people simply don't have enough pills in their house to lethally overdose. But if there's a gun handy it's a different story. So if they have a firearm available in their house and grab that, they are 85% likely to fatally injure themselves. In fact, that's exactly what happened to my 18 year old cousin last year, who got into a fight with his girlfriend and suddenly in the middle of it went and got his dad's, my uncle's, .22 pistol and killed himself with it. We don't know why he did it, but if there wasn't a gun in the house that day he'd still be alive.

So to answer your question, I don't have to explain why cultural mores towards suicide wouldn't actully reduce suicide deaths, because suicide rates in America could remain unchanged. Every person that reached for a gun that wasn't there, and came to their senses later, or tried to hang themselves an failed, or whatever the scenario, they'll have a chance to go get therapy, to go get the help they need.

Research: Less Access to Guns Lead to Fewer Suicides

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah it's an obvious conclusion but that won't stop gun rights hasbara from coming around and throwing up tortured data smokescreens and foggy appeals to cultural differences to somehow argue that there is no relationship between access to and prevalence of guns and deaths from guns.

Seriously, after all the data and refutations presented including from articles they themselves posted, I've determined that there is no evidence you can present that will get them to moderate their stance, so why even bother.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

Yeah it's an obvious conclusion but that won't stop gun rights hasbara from coming around and throwing up tortured data smokescreens and foggy appeals to cultural differences to somehow argue that there is no relationship between access to and prevalence of guns and deaths from guns.

Seriously, after all the data and refutations presented including from articles they themselves posted, I've determined that there is no evidence you can present that will get them to moderate their stance, so why even bother.

Well gently caress. Also this part from the article posted last page.

quote:

“Quite frankly, all I was trying to get done was the ability of our folks to ask the (potentially suicidal) person about his weapons and make a recommendation that they would separate themselves from the weapon — turn it in, give it to a friend — until the suicidal feelings passed.”

But it wasn’t possible.

“I was told by my lawyers that even that would cause issues,” Chiarelli said. “I was told there would be huge problems with the NRA.”

The organization is malignant at this point.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The entire goddamn national ethos is.

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

zoux posted:

In addition to what's already been said:

"He's a literal brain surgeon! He is therefore smart on all matters!"

and

"He speaks so calmly!"

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

"See! We aren't racist!"

Isn't he the 3rd or 4th black token?

I know the Daily Show had a running joke of a muppet based on some guy called Steel;the first black leader of the RNC. The Pizza guy and some other guy?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well in 2008 the most prominent black woman in the Republican party was the mayor of a tiny Utah city.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

Isn't he the 3rd or 4th black token?

I know the Daily Show had a running joke of a muppet based on some guy called Steel;the first black leader of the RNC. The Pizza guy and some other guy?

there's always tim scott

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

zoux posted:

Well in 2008 the most prominent black woman in the Republican party was the mayor of a tiny Utah city.

Uhh...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How bout the most prominent black woman willing to have anything to do with the Republican party in 2008.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I suspect Carson has the fundamentalist Christian support in his corner at the moment. I'm sure a lot of those voters don't like Trump since he doesn't even really pay the super thin lip service to their issues that most GOP candidates do, and I guess Huck and Santorum are yesterday's news.

If you were to say "quick, who's the biggest religious zealot in the GOP primary", Carson is the name that pretty much comes to mind right away.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zoux posted:

How bout the most prominent black woman willing to have anything to do with the Republican party in 2008.

She was technically SoS until 2009, but yeah, it wasn't like she was campaigning.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Much like Colin Powell, Condoleezza Rice seems to be mostly ignored, if not outright hated, by a lot of the modern GOP.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
An insight into the mind of @dick_nixon.

BobbyDrake
Mar 13, 2005

You know... When I tried to kill myself, I popped a handful of Ritalin at 12 years old specifically because we didn't have a gun in the house. If we had, I'd be dead. In my late teens, the plan was to buy a gun from a pawn shop on my 21st birthday and use it on myself. My girlfriend found out about it and stopped me. Since then, I've refused to allow guns in my house knowing that if I had access to one, it would be a matter of time before I hit a low point and used it to kill myself. So yeah, lack of gun access has kept me alive. Granted, anecdotes aren't proof, but, well I'm not dead yet.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

QuoProQuid posted:

To add onto what has already been said, the House vote is scheduled a day before Boehner's resignation. If the GOP somehow fails to elect a candidate, Boehner would remain Speaker until a majority is reached.

Might explain why Boehner is pushing so hard for Republicans to line up behind a single candidate. I can't imagine he wants to stick around any longer than he needs to.

I don't know about anyone else, but I find it really funny that Boehner, who is retiring his position due to fears of getting ousted by incompetent tea partiers, may not be able to quit when he wants to due to incompetent tea partiers. They are just ruining his plans no matter what he wants.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

BobbyDrake posted:

You know... When I tried to kill myself, I popped a handful of Ritalin at 12 years old specifically because we didn't have a gun in the house. If we had, I'd be dead. In my late teens, the plan was to buy a gun from a pawn shop on my 21st birthday and use it on myself. My girlfriend found out about it and stopped me. Since then, I've refused to allow guns in my house knowing that if I had access to one, it would be a matter of time before I hit a low point and used it to kill myself. So yeah, lack of gun access has kept me alive. Granted, anecdotes aren't proof, but, well I'm not dead yet.

No sorry, that's not true. Guns are just as lethal as sporks, you just didn't want to kill yourself enough.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

This isn't unique to guns either. A common method of suicide in the UK used to be via turning on an unlit oven and inhaling coal gas, which was 10-20% carbon monoxide. When the switch was made to natural gas (no carbon monoxide) UK overall suicide rates went down by 1/3rd. Evidence showed that some people switched to other methods but removing a ubiquitous and deadly option saved thousands of lives.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Zwabu posted:

I suspect Carson has the fundamentalist Christian support in his corner at the moment. I'm sure a lot of those voters don't like Trump since he doesn't even really pay the super thin lip service to their issues that most GOP candidates do, and I guess Huck and Santorum are yesterday's news.

If you were to say "quick, who's the biggest religious zealot in the GOP primary", Carson is the name that pretty much comes to mind right away.
He does, and that's exactly why Santorum, who finished 2nd in 2012, is DOA. All of the evangelical votes are going to Carson now.

Also his books have been very popular in the evangelical community for a long time

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

BobbyDrake posted:

In the last couple pages of this thread alone we've had, what, like 5 or 6 goons give very personal accounts of themselves or family members being touched by suicide via gun. It's horrifying and I know that I for one will never allow guns into my home.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Shifty Pony posted:

This isn't unique to guns either. A common method of suicide in the UK used to be via turning on an unlit oven and inhaling coal gas, which was 10-20% carbon monoxide. When the switch was made to natural gas (no carbon monoxide) UK overall suicide rates went down by 1/3rd. Evidence showed that some people switched to other methods but removing a ubiquitous and deadly option saved thousands of lives.

When I was a kid I heard about people putting their head in the oven to kill themselves, but we had an electric oven so I thought that people actually turned it on and just broiled themselves to death. :black101: I was pretty impressed by their conviction at the time.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

They think Obama got elected because he was black. Therefore if they run a black candidate, they can't lose.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JeffersonClay posted:

They think Obama got elected because he was black. Therefore if they run a black candidate, they can't lose.

I've decided this is the reason.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Shageletic posted:

The organization is malignant at this point.

Also pretty stupidly so if they're trying to impede a voluntary measure rather than talking it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The Tacoma and the HiLux are mechanically different; the HiLux is way more rugged, while the Tacoma has much better ride quality.

There's a reason they don't sell the HiLux here, and it's because American truck buyers don't actually use their trucks.

But before they introduced the Tacoma, there was 20 years of the Hilux by another name, and 6 years of just straight up the Hilux.

zoux posted:

Uh, he's doing second place at 17% behind Trump at 23%. That's only 1/6 of the Republicans liking him, it's not really that impressive.

• Locked thread