Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Sailor Viy posted:

Hello boardgame thread. What games would you recommend for a group of players who are more or less new to boardgames but have played a lot of MtG, D&D, etc? I think my friends are pretty drat good at strategic thinking so I'd like something with a lot of depth for them to chew on. I guess I want something with a similar appeal to Magic but without the part where I always lose because I don't want to spend $200+ on a deck.

2 games I've read about that sound cool are Puzzle Strike and Dungeon Petz. Are either of those any good?

Those are both very good games, and also pretty different so getting both wouldn't really be redundant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Both are well regarded. You can demo Puzzle Strike at fantasystrike.com if you'd like.

My first recommendation would be Dominion. It's a deck building game that kick started the genre and remains the best. Puzzle Strike takes a lot from this game, but is more expensive and doesn't have the expansion presence behind it if you like it.

If you come from Magic and enjoy drafting, check out 7 Wonders. It's purely a draft; you don't play an additional game after the draft is finished.

From there, what do you personally enjoy in MtG and DnD? We can recommend more from there. You will probably be recommended Mage Knight, but I haven't played it personally.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

If they are used to D&D they shouldn't have a problem with Dungeon Petz but keep in mind that the game is very 'crunchy' in terms of rules. It is a good game but its not exactly the easiest start in worker placement games.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Also, check out the LCG thread for literally "Magic without booster bullshit, also usually better designed".

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Magic players, and D&D grognards too, tend in my experience to really enjoy overanalysing games. This makes playing a worker placement game either impossible or insufferable, because they cannot go "I will put my dude here and see what happens", they have to know what all the possible consequences are in at least the next 5 rounds. This is because they are used to being able to do this level of prediction in Magic because they have played it too much, but forgot how they couldn't do it when they began. so: Don't get Dungeon Petz, your friends will think for ages on their turns while they try to plan, figure out that they can't and feel disappointed.
Yes, I am bitter, sorry. You may have better friends than me, so y'know critical reading.

Good recommendations would be direct aggression games, or relatively simple games. Dominion is relatively simple, as long as you stick to prechosen or random kingdoms, and should satisfy your friends with depth. Otherwise, go for something like Kemet, where the thing preventing you from planning is the other players being dicks. or for lighter fare, something like Colt Express. Depending on your kind of D&D players, bluffing games like Coup or Resistance could either be great or completely destroyed by idiots trying to logically deduce everything.

Mage Knight should probably wait a bit, since it has a lot (and I mean tonnes) of very boardgamey rules that you should probably be more familiar with before trying.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Sailor Viy posted:

Hello boardgame thread. What games would you recommend for a group of players who are more or less new to boardgames but have played a lot of MtG, D&D, etc? I think my friends are pretty drat good at strategic thinking so I'd like something with a lot of depth for them to chew on. I guess I want something with a similar appeal to Magic but without the part where I always lose because I don't want to spend $200+ on a deck.

2 games I've read about that sound cool are Puzzle Strike and Dungeon Petz. Are either of those any good?

I'd recommend thread favorite Kemet for being an incredibly good strategic game that has excellent replayability, a wide selection of special powers and abilities to purchase which scratch the same sort of "between games theorycrafting" itch that games like Magic do (and which also drive replayability), and it has giant scorpions and mummies and war elephants which should be a selling point all on their own to anyone into D&D. It's very, very, very superficially similar to Risk in that it features moving plastic figures around on a map but in practice it's nothing at all like Risk really and it's a game that I'll happily play again and again even when I wind up losing because it's just that good.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Zveroboy posted:

Which leads me on to a question. We were talking about Panamax in the pub one afternoon and dad, being an avid fan of the steam railways (he was a proper train-spotter nerd as a kid in the 50s/60s) asked if there were any games with a company management mechanic like Panamax but set during the golden age of steam. I can hear all the 18XX nerd boners already. So what's a good entry level 18XX for dad and I to try out?

With 18xx availability is often more of a factor than newbie friendliness. Right now the only 18xx game in print from an actual publisher is 1830. The rest of them are mostly hand made by a few kitchen table companies. Soon we will also have the 1844/1854 combo box though both games are more complex than introductory, and tentatively scheduled for summer is 1846 which is more noob friendly.

They are also not properly two player games, usually the meat of the game is the tangled web of incentives due to board position and stock ownership. The only games I've heard recommended for two player are 1860 and one of the 1825 units, maybe unit 2. They're largely unavailable. For instance there is one copy of 1860 up on BGG now for $150 Canadian. You might better off looking at some other train games unless you have more players.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Impermanent posted:

Here's a topic we haven't yet touched on in this thread:

What are y'alls favorite blogs about board games? I know we have a few people who run or host their own - share your links! I need more to read about board games because my inaugural game of Caylus fell through thanks to reflooring problems in my apt.

A few posts here are interesting reads http://stonemaiergames.com/e-newsletter/blog/ , not really a review blog though.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I have a copy of 1860 that I'm willing to sell if you are up for it. 1854 isn't a very good game IMO and I wouldn't recommend it. 1844 is a good game but very complex and not very user friendly. I would honestly suggest waiting until GMT releases 1846 because that is an excellent entry into the system, but that isn't released until summer. Otherwise, 1830 is still a good choice.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Sailor Viy posted:

http://www.pagat.com/invented/ace_of_death.html

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Tekopo posted:

I have a copy of 1860 that I'm willing to sell if you are up for it. 1854 isn't a very good game IMO and I wouldn't recommend it. 1844 is a good game but very complex and not very user friendly. I would honestly suggest waiting until GMT releases 1846 because that is an excellent entry into the system, but that isn't released until summer. Otherwise, 1830 is still a good choice.

I read in one of the BGG threads that there would be changes to 1854. Nobody mentioned what they would be.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013

Sailor Viy posted:

Dungeon Petz is my favourite game, but I never get to the table. Mainly because it gives my girlfriend a AP seizure. It can be a hassle to teach, because of the two different aspects (worker placement and pet management) and how they relate. It is so much fun, though.

Magic players seem to grasp some things very well, espescially hand management and card synergy. D&D players often seem able to accept cumbersome/inelegant rules as long as it is in the name of THEME. But some mechanics can leave people dumbfounded, like worker placement. I even had one magic player be really confused and insulted by Dominion's deckbuilding mechanic. "The most stupid thing ever", he proclaimed. This is an exception though, a lot of Magic players seem to love Dominion. Both groups often seem to struggle with euro "point salads", where success is measured by something more abstract than gold or punches to the face. This depends how focused on theme they are. Though I personally don't get how an abstract number representing your success as a ruler of a kingdom or pet store is any less thematic than an abstract number representing your health.

Despite all this, I still second Dominion and Kemet as solid choices. I would add a few expansions (Seaside and Prosperity) to Dominion. Otherwise it might feel a bit simplistic for Magic players. I would also like to add Lords of Waterdeep as a great gateway euro for crowds like that. It could be a nice stepping stone for moving on to Dungeon Petz.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Wow, this is frighteningly accurate to the sorts of games we used to play during lunch break in high school.

Thanks for the other recommendations. Kemet looks really cool, although Dominion has the advantage of being short enough that we could squeeze it in between rounds of EDH.

Dungeon Petz maybe down the track if we get more into it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sailor Viy posted:

Hello boardgame thread. What games would you recommend for a group of players who are more or less new to boardgames but have played a lot of MtG, D&D, etc?

You should get Mage Knight, it's like playing an entire campaign of D&D from level 1-20, in one session.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Just played Android: Netrunner last night. It looks like a lot of fun and I am thinking about getting it.

If I have another friend who I will probably play against most of the time, do you think it would be viable to split the cost and have one person take all the corp cards and the other take the runner cards or should we just leave them all in the same box and find a way to figure out who should "own" the game?

I can't really tell from reading some of the expansion descriptions, but do they all come with cards for both corps and runners? Are there any that only come with cards for one of the players?

If I mostly want to start by playing one specific corp, it it fairly easy to find a deal on eBay or someplace else to just get the starting set cards for that corp + the non-faction cards?

Nique
May 18, 2006

A good place to start is to use one core set between both of you and make 2 balanced decks (can be found in the OP in the netrunner thread here) and get in some games to get a better feel for it.

The cleanest way to do it would probably just pay half each for your first core and 'own' half each - then if you do get more into the game and want to move into deck creation you will almost definitely be buying a 2nd core between yourselves - can just both go in for half of this as well and the other person take it home.

From there the options available to you guys such as further core purchasing, data packs you might want for your favoured faction, or whatever else will probably make a lot more sense. You definitely don't want to be limiting yourself to being a 'runner player' or a 'corp player', it's not really how it works and you'd be missing out on essentially half the game. When first learning you may stick with one side for a few games but once you've both got to grips with it you will probably be playing close to a 50/50 split.

All expansions have a mix of both runner and corp cards, but not all corps or runner identities are represented.

Nique fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Oct 8, 2015

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I had to tell someone to "stop getting mad about cardboard" because she could not and will not accept the fact that I hate Cosmic Encounters. She knows full well I do not like the game, but always tries to convince me it's good and full of so many strategies every time it is brought up. I don't even try to explain my opinion anymore, I just say, "that's fine" with every one of her points. After 10 minutes of her getting frustrated with me for not believing her that CE was the end all, be all of great games, I had to stop her and let her know that it is perfectly okay for me to not like a game she does, and she can like games I don't.

This is why I rarely play games on campus anymore...jesus.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
You don't like Cosmic Encounter!? How could this be!?

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013

Rutibex posted:

You should get Mage Knight, it's like playing an entire campaign of D&D from level 1-20, in one session.

Exactly like that, but with good rules.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Uh, it sounds like you're the one mad about cardboard.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Despite the fact I've only been able to play Tash Kalar once since I got the expansion for Christmas, I'm going to buy this new expansion and have it sit unplayed with the rest :(

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sailor Viy posted:

You could also check out Lost Legends, which combines card drafting with competitive dungeon crawling. You beat up monsters for points and gold, and then have a market round where you buy cards via a draft that help you configure for the next layer of the dungeon (which is harder). It's not a perfect game, but it would scratch both itches of your players. The only downsides is that it is a little swingy at the start, and tends to snowballing (good players stay good, a bad start is hard to reverse).

snuff
Jul 16, 2003
For anyone interested in Roll for the Galaxy it's a daily deal for $30. It is a very good game for a very good price.

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/rgg492.html

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Speaking of Tash Kalar, BGA just recently implemented the Everfrost expansion online.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

enigmahfc posted:

I had to tell someone to "stop getting mad about cardboard" because she could not and will not accept the fact that I hate Cosmic Encounters. She knows full well I do not like the game, but always tries to convince me it's good and full of so many strategies every time it is brought up. I don't even try to explain my opinion anymore, I just say, "that's fine" with every one of her points. After 10 minutes of her getting frustrated with me for not believing her that CE was the end all, be all of great games, I had to stop her and let her know that it is perfectly okay for me to not like a game she does, and she can like games I don't.

This is why I rarely play games on campus anymore...jesus.

It sounds like you where the one getting mad about cardboard. There's no need to be so grumpy when someone is shooting the poo poo with you about their favorite game.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Lichtenstein posted:

Uh, it sounds like you're the one mad about cardboard.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

To me it sounds like they both got mad and we know gently caress all about the actual conversation so everyone should just shut the gently caress up instead of trying to psychoanalyze.

Now I'm mad about cardboard. Thanks a lot.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I reserve my anger for wooden meeples.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'm more angry about plastic pieces. Give me wood or give me death

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Is this thread literally ever not mad about something?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I'm not mad that my wife got to play Ruhrschifffahrt last night!

It sounds like farts.

It also sounds like pick up and deliver and holy crap is that a genre I'm not too fond of.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

fozzy fosbourne posted:

sometimes people mention a 'good' game and we fall over ourselves trying to get a circle jerk going

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Tekopo posted:

sometimes people mention a 'good' game and we fall over ourselves trying to get a circle jerk going

Its an angry circle jerk since there is the realization that some people think the 'good' game is 'bad'

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It's why Broken Loose is so much more mellow nowadays. We took his anger upon us.

Now I shiver whenever I think Rutibex bought Agricola...

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

well i used to be angrier too

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

"That's my secret, Cap. I'm always angry...about cardboard."

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tekopo posted:

I'm more angry about plastic pieces. Give me wood or give me death

I get angry thinking about how much less forbidden stars would be if it was just carboard chits instead of plastic minis

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
I'm just glad we're past the point of telling people to set fire to things they enjoy.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Bosushi! posted:

I'm just glad we're past the point of telling people to set fire to things they enjoy.
It's why I added it to the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Tekopo posted:

To me it sounds like they both got mad and we know gently caress all about the actual conversation so everyone should just shut the gently caress up instead of trying to psychoanalyze.

Now I'm mad about cardboard. Thanks a lot.

You probably have father issues. Did he ignore you to focus on his career as a cardboard box factory manager? I can tell from the way you internet.