Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

eviltastic posted:

Also pretty stupidly so if they're trying to impede a voluntary measure rather than talking it up.

They also oppose destroying guns from voluntary gun buyback programs and the only reason that could possibly exist is that it would result in a net reduction of gun volume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

I just don't get what's so compelling about Ben Carson that he's polling second. He's a terrible speaker, his policy positions are dead standard for a GOP candidate, what's the appeal?

polls are the same as ratings, ratings are polls. carson is polling well because the media is talking about him, they're talking about him because he's polling well. soon this media attention will sour and he won't poll as well, so he'll be covered less after his gaffes get boring, until he drops out of the race

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Popular Thug Drink posted:

polls are the same as ratings, ratings are polls. carson is polling well because the media is talking about him, they're talking about him because he's polling well. soon this media attention will sour and he won't poll as well, so he'll be covered less after his gaffes get boring, until he drops out of the race

Pretty much this.

Worked this way with almost every candidate 2012 until everyone begrudgingly just accepted Romney.

Except Ron Paul, he was never popular.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zoux posted:

They also oppose destroying guns from voluntary gun buyback programs and the only reason that could possibly exist is that it would result in a net reduction of gun volume.

It also helps line the pockets of gun store owners who can buy the guns off the gov't for cheap then turn around and resell them while screaming "watch out the government is coming for your guns!!!"

Win-win really

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Gravel Gravy posted:

Pretty much this.

Worked this way with almost every candidate 2012 until everyone begrudgingly just accepted Romney.

ironically, one of the few things the ron paul crowd got right was that his candidacy suffered because the media refused to cover him

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
My hope is Carson eventually shits himself which causes a lot of the evangelicals to skip voting.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DemeaninDemon posted:

My hope is Carson eventually shits himself which causes a lot of the evangelicals to skip voting.

Oh he will most deffo poo poo himself. Even if he doesn't I doubt the ability for a GOP electorate to actually pull the lever for a black guy when it comes down to it.

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

Zwabu posted:

If you were to say "quick, who's the biggest religious zealot in the GOP primary", Carson is the name that pretty much comes to mind right away.
See, the names that come to mind for me are Huckabee and Santorum, but perhaps I'm behind the times.

But it helps explain Carson's success in a way I hadn't considered previously. I knew those two were polling poorly, and I knew that the evangelical vote didn't disappear, but I hadn't yet made the connection that they probably flocked to Carson instead.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Carson belongs to a weird fringe sect of Protestantism, which is going to be a problem once the media decides to make it a thing.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Gravel Gravy posted:

Pretty much this.

The problem this time around is that there is no clear "Romney". If you look at any of the candidates individually, they're all quite easy to dismiss as not really having a shot. But one of them has to win...

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zoux posted:

Carson belongs to a weird fringe sect of Protestantism, which is going to be a problem once the media decides to make it a thing.

Another front in the War on Christians

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah people thought that JEB was the Romney of this election but it's becoming clear that no one outside his personal friends really respects or gives a poo poo about him.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Another front in the War on Christians

Nah if there's one thing religious fanatics hate more than non believers it's heresy and apostasy.

Radish posted:

Yeah people thought that JEB was the Romney of this election but it's becoming clear that no one outside his personal friends really respects or gives a poo poo about him.

He got completely skullfucked by Trump.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Inferior Third Season posted:

The problem this time around is that there is no clear "Romney". If you look at any of the candidates individually, they're all quite easy to dismiss as not really having a shot. But one of them has to win...
I suppose so.

How I recall it is the media cycle just went candidate to candidate, vetted, and when some scandal was uncovered they moved onto the next one. THey settled on Romney because he had fewer skeletons (that they knew of) in his closet.

Romney was just a vanilla bean in a suit and there are a couple of them in this iteration.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Gravel Gravy posted:

I suppose so.

How I recall it is the media cycle just went candidate to candidate, vetted, and when some scandal was uncovered they moved onto the next one. THey settled on Romney because he had fewer skeletons (that they knew of) in his closet.

Romney was just a vanilla bean in a suit and there are a couple of them in this iteration.

The dense field combined with TRUMP make it rough on candidates as plain and boring as a piece of dry toast. No room to get national exposure when you have a man willing to totally destroy you on twitter for no reason other than to be an rear end in a top hat.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Gravel Gravy posted:

I suppose so.

Romney was dominant over the others throughout the summer of 2011, and always polling strongly and number two when the others got to the tops of their roller coaster rides. There is nobody even remotely like that this cycle.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

zoux posted:

Well, given the policy goals of the organization, that position makes sense. But I'd think a voluntary measure is the sort of thing you point to as demonstrating that other controls aren't needed.

I guess the military might be an organization where "voluntary" measures and "suggestions" from commanders might deserve the air quotes. But they've gotta be pretty high on their own supply to want to block that discussion entirely just to assuage the nebulous fear of gun grabbing. The damned Army, of all entities, can probably be taken as knowing what it's talking about and acting in good faith if it's suggesting to a soldier that it might not be a good idea for them to handle firearms.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Inferior Third Season posted:

Romney was dominant over the others throughout the summer of 2011, and always polling strongly and number two when the others got to the tops of their roller coaster rides. There is nobody even remotely like that this cycle.

Really? Huh, guess I was wrong.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

JeffersonClay posted:

They think Obama got elected because he was black. Therefore if they run a black candidate, they can't lose.

The corollary to this is that the Republicans don't dare impeach Obama either, because then they'd just be, unfairly mind you, called racists.

And the logical conclusion to that is if when Bernie Sanders becomes President, he's not going to be able to make nearly as many changes as Obama did, because if a white man was even a quarter as totalitarian as Barack, they'd be impeached in a heartbeat.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
My biggest fear is Rubio... we all know he's a complete idiot but I think he'll outlast a bunch of the other candidates and with enough coaching he could probably look smart enough.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

The corollary to this is that the Republicans don't dare impeach Obama either, because then they'd just be, unfairly mind you, called racists.

I think that has more to do with the complete own goal that the Clinton impeachment was. If they were afraid of unfairly being called racists they'd talk a lot less.

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

My biggest fear is Rubio... we all know he's a complete idiot but I think he'll outlast a bunch of the other candidates and with enough coaching he could probably look smart enough.

Yeah I think he's their best candidate at the moment, in terms of an actual challenge to Hillary.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BobbyDrake posted:

You know... When I tried to kill myself, I popped a handful of Ritalin at 12 years old specifically because we didn't have a gun in the house. If we had, I'd be dead. In my late teens, the plan was to buy a gun from a pawn shop on my 21st birthday and use it on myself. My girlfriend found out about it and stopped me. Since then, I've refused to allow guns in my house knowing that if I had access to one, it would be a matter of time before I hit a low point and used it to kill myself. So yeah, lack of gun access has kept me alive. Granted, anecdotes aren't proof, but, well I'm not dead yet.

Thanks for sharing, buddy. Depression is a hell of a thing (my family is rife with it).

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

He could do well if he survives the full broad side Trump gives him. He's pretty plain too. Like a nice glass of warm water.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

DemeaninDemon posted:

He could do well if he survives the full broad side Trump gives him. He's pretty plain too. Like a nice glass of warm water.

It keeps you going, but isn't very refreshing or enjoyable.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

eviltastic posted:

Well, given the policy goals of the organization, that position makes sense. But I'd think a voluntary measure is the sort of thing you point to as demonstrating that other controls aren't needed.

I guess the military might be an organization where "voluntary" measures and "suggestions" from commanders might deserve the air quotes. But they've gotta be pretty high on their own supply to want to block that discussion entirely just to assuage the nebulous fear of gun grabbing. The damned Army, of all entities, can probably be taken as knowing what it's talking about and acting in good faith if it's suggesting to a soldier that it might not be a good idea for them to handle firearms.

One of the major recommendations in the US Navy Suicide Prevention training when talking with a sailor having suicidal ideations is to offer to take possession of their household firearms while they work through their issues. Even the loving military knows having easy access to guns is a bad idea for suicidal people.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

One of the major recommendations in the US Navy Suicide Prevention training when talking with a sailor having suicidal ideations is to offer to take possession of their household firearms while they work through their issues. Even the loving military knows having easy access to guns is a bad idea for suicidal people.

Everyone knows that but part of the conservative media strategy, and you see this on practically every issue, is that admitting a single fault in the facade of your argument is no different from complete capitulation on the issue.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
So it's coming out that Oklahoma used the wrong drug to horrifically execute Clayton Lockett back in January. I hope his family sues this lovely state into bankruptcy.

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*

AlternateNu posted:

Actually we should make sure our depressed and PTSD addled vets have increased access to guns. Worked great for Chris Kyle.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

zoux posted:

Nah if there's one thing religious fanatics hate more than non believers it's heresy and apostasy.

He got completely skullfucked by Trump.

He did and it's magical.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kro-Bar posted:

So it's coming out that Oklahoma used the wrong drug to horrifically execute Clayton Lockett back in January. I hope his family sues this lovely state into bankruptcy.

It's amazing that they are going with the "we don't know what drugs we're using to kill people" excuse.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Jake Sherman just tweeted that McCarthy has dropped out of the speaker race.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Fox is reporting that Kevin McCarthy is dropping out of the race for speaker

e: god damnit!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Fifteen of Many posted:

What if this is all a ruse, an exercise intended to convince everyone that Boehner is irreplaceable, and to get them to beg him to stay?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

eviltastic posted:

The damned Army, of all entities, can probably be taken as knowing what it's talking about and acting in good faith
Say this to literally anyone in the Army. They'll die laughing.

Zapp Brannigan
Mar 29, 2006

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Radish posted:

Zapp Brannigan is too accurate to be a parody.

Hey, don't associate me with these assholes!

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
dropped out of speaker race, hopefully to cut government waste, such as Republicans occupying perfectly good elected positions.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Fifteen of Many posted:

Oh sweet Jesus its happening :getin:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Oh god what horrors await us in the next 6 hours... :unsmigghh:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fifteen of Many posted:

Fuuuuckkkkkkk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What if this is all a ruse, an exercise intended to convince everyone that Boehner is irreplaceable, and to get them to beg him to stay?

Honestly if you're a democrat Boehner staying is probably the best outcome.

Plus if he did stay because people realized he was irreplaceable that would give him more leverage with his own party

• Locked thread