Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

You guys haven't even scratched the surface of the BWM wormhole that is Star Citizen.

There's stories of one guy (a moderator on the SC subreddit) that's spent $25k. He's on disability for bipolar disorder and his wife is leaving him for it. This game is going to cost so many people their marriages.

Apparently Chris Roberts also spent $20,000 on a coffee machine. And Star Citizen crazies are defending it:

Now rumors are saying Roberts (who tried to make it in Hollywood and went broke, hence his return to gaming) has spent 8 figures getting A-list celebrities to 'star' in the cutscenes for the game. Oh, and he hired his model wife with no background in marketing to be SVP and is paying her close to 7 figures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Ban all goons that contributed.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Comrade Flynn posted:

Oh, and he hired his model wife with no background in marketing to be SVP and is paying her close to 7 figures.

Pay2Win so CR can Pay2Fuck.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

quote:

For a legion of old-school gamers, the pitch was a symphony of dog whistles. One of those fans was Wulf Knight, a 39-year-old IT professional. The original Wing Commander had been a formative experience for him; it even taught him a trade. “I had to learn DOS to get it to run on my old 286 PC,” says the blond-haired, bearded Knight, who online goes by the handle Accelerwraith and offline lives with his wife and two cats in Madison, Wisconsin. “Chris Roberts launched so many IT careers, it isn't even funny. And now, after 10 years, he's making another space sim? It's like Tolkien coming back from the dead!”

Knight's first backing level, at $250, was Rear Admiral. This entitled him to early access to the game and a Constellation spaceship he'd be able to operate in the game, once the game exists. Then he purchased another spaceship—the $300 Vanduul Scythe. By the time the Kickstarter campaign concluded at the end of November 2012, though, Cloud Imperium's own crowdfunding website had been up and running for more than a month. It was now able to take donations directly from backers, without having to share a cut with an intermediary like Kickstarter.

Cloud Imperium kept accepting money and kept rolling out new ships: the M50 Interceptor ($85), the Starfarer Tanker ($175), the Drake Interplanetary Caterpillar ($225), the Retaliator Heavy Bomber ($250). Gamers like Knight didn't hesitate to snap them up. “I've got a Pokémon complex,” he says. “I have to have them all. They put it out there, I buy it.”

Knight was one of the 200 people who bought a $2,500 Javelin Destroyer. Why not? A month later, he upgraded to the special $10,000 Wing Commander package, which includes 44 ships and access to a private, in-game VIP spaceship lounge called the 1 Million Mile High Club. He's declined some of the other perks he's earned, such as the chance to spend a day with Chris Roberts. “He has better things to do,” Knight says. Like finish the game.

The average Star Citizen backer has contributed $96. To date, Knight's total investment is $22,501.

I'm addicted to reading about this poo poo.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Running a perpetual vaporware company based on name recognition and a cult of personality is pretty good with money, it seems.

"Investing" in one sounds really, really bad with money.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Comrade Flynn posted:

I'm addicted to reading about this poo poo.

Completely unrelated, but I had assumed that "Wulf Knight" was his online handle... and then I got to the part about "Accelerwraith."

What a wonderful world we live in.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
I generally read this thread as a good warning to being bad with money but StarCitizen is... that german word for enjoying others misery.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Schadenfreude.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
^^^ Ignore this lying liar.

Suspicious Lump posted:

I generally read this thread as a good warning to being bad with money but StarCitizen is... that german word for enjoying others misery.

"Lederhosen"

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Cicero posted:

Schadenfreude.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3683302

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Does anybody have that link for the investment forum with the people melting down after that potential apple supplier's stock plummeted?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

oxsnard posted:

Does anybody have that link for the investment forum with the people melting down after that potential apple supplier's stock plummeted?
I think it starts here when trading gets halted.

http://forum.thecontrarianinvestor.com/index.php?threads/gt-advanced-technologies-inc-gtat.69/page-499

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

This is pretty good.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
the contrarian investor

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
making money is too mainstream, we're going to lose it instead

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

What a bunch of stupid assholes! I can't stop reading this.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

This is so awesome. At a time when the market is delivering great returns, these dumbasses pooled all their money into the stock of an Apple supplier. I'm pretty sure no one makes money manufacturering Apple products except for Apple.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
loving amazing.

CIGTAT posted:

BANKRUPTSY!!!

borat99 posted:

Can someone with experience on this matter explain what impact this could have on the stock and investors?

bvb85 posted:

So on this front I'm a newb..
Will we still be able to sell stocks? And any speculation as to when it will open?

bgshanghai posted:

Sam. Its not possible, the long road to bankruptcy is something investors know about. Lenders issue warnings and suppliers start winding down shipments. We believe that there has been massive shipments of alumina in recent weeks. This is not a company going into bankruptcy. Please, posting like this is not responsible and double please...calm down and think of your heart!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It's definitely been posted in here multiple times, but every time around is always eye-opening.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!
The schadenfreude in that thread is spoiled a little by the people who ruined the futures of their unsuspecting parents, children, or spouses.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

epenthesis posted:

The schadenfreude in that thread is spoiled a little by the people who ruined the futures of their unsuspecting parents, children, or spouses.

Looking up posted:

I have just lost all of my retirement and all of my son's savings. My son has special needs and I have failed him in the biggest way, sorry for posting this but I am totally devastated!!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The GTAT thread by page 500 had the bankruptcy. But the poo poo had already hit the fan a month earlier when Apple announced the iPhone 6 without a sapphire screen. Go to page 319, before the phone announcement and you see people go from ecstasy to horror.

http://forum.thecontrarianinvestor.com/index.php?threads/gt-advanced-technologies-inc-gtat.69/page-319

quote:

But, for many of us here, its the end result, not so much the journey. We look at it as a once in a lifetime opportunity for financial security.

quote:

I won't be able to see the keynote event live because my mother wants to go have sushi to celebrate my results.

Dudes, she always picks the wrong moments .. I guess that's typical for mothers, isn't it?!

quote:

Puke

epenthesis posted:

There are a lot of blameless victims in this. But we can still find a measure of satisfaction in people throwing away all their money when they could have invested in almost anything else and made a good return. If only because public shaming might deter others from repeating those mistakes.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I just don't understand how it's not common knowledge that Apple has razor thin margins with their suppliers and that they cycle suppliers so that the suppliers don't gain any extra leverage. Investing in their suppliers will never be a good idea.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Forget the players, the story is one big advertisement for the #1 rule in smart investing - diversification. So many "I invested everything I had in this and now my family is destitute" posts.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Dillbag posted:

Looking up posted:
I have just lost all of my retirement and all of my son's savings. My son has special needs and I have failed him in the biggest way, sorry for posting this but I am totally devastated!!

I love how this individual puts !! at the end. It just seems so inappropriate. Like he's super sad/guilt stricken in the first half of the sentence but then moves on to super saiyan shirt ripping angry.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

This is the guy that pissed me off the most.

wisconsincheese posted:

Don't hate the player, hate the game. Anyway, I earned those shares, I bought most of them at around 3 before anybody even heard of sapphire screens, because I did my DD and understood their R&D efforts and that 2014-15 would likely lead to huge things and their technology would have value over time even if solar was in the tank. To invest basically all your net worth in GTAT at 3 when the stock is cratering and people are talking bankruptcies took some serious cojones but I knew this was a once in a lifetime opportunity and I would kick myself forever if I didn't go all in. Might have been slightly reckless and against all known investment strategies but with big risks, comes big rewards.

Anyway, it is not me you should be jealous of but my mom whose account I manage and has around 415k shares and probably doesn't know GTAT is on the Nasdaq. I have to set up separate accounts for her GTAT holdings so she doesn't see all her positions at once as she has been telling me to sell for it for more than a year and I have to keep telling her to wait and hide exactly how much of her portfolio is GTAT so she doesn't flip out about it.

He went all in with his mom's portfolio, knowing full well she'd (rightfully) flip her poo poo if she knew he'd done it.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
"slightly reckless"

In the same way that playing Russian roulette with a Glock would be "slightly reckless"

It is a semiautomatic so as long as it is loaded and not broken, it always goes bang

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Enos Cabell posted:

This is the guy that pissed me off the most.

He went all in with his mom's portfolio, knowing full well she'd (rightfully) flip her poo poo if she knew he'd done it.

There are a lot of insufferable idiots in that thread bragging about the price they bought in at and their positions. People posting patent diagrams and pouring over every iPhone rumor without any understanding of how much pressure Apple puts on its suppliers. One guy on the eve of the iPhone 6 announcement was asking for tips on the next sub-$10 tech stock to invest in. Because it's just one score after another.

So while it sucks for the families of these dumbasses, if Tim Cook had walked out on that stage positively covered in sapphires while exclaiming 2014 was the year of the sapphire, many of those people would have just funneled their windfalls into the next sure thing until they eventually lost it all. They were always going to lose it all. It was just a matter of when.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 9, 2015

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Bad with money - lowtax's server bills.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

The Mandingo posted:

Bad with money - lowtax's server bills.

Topical!

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
re: stock picking, this article is always good.

The Guardian posted:

Investments: Orlando is the cat's whiskers of stock picking
Ginger moggy beats the professionals and a team of students in the Observer's share portfolio challenge

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
If the cat out performed the managers for 3 years I'd be impressed. In fact replacing them all with cats is probably a good idea. At least they'd land on their feet when the market's down and they throw themselves out the nearest window.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Holy poo poo. Apple absolutely raped GTAT on that contracy. Looks like the company management and those "investors " both made the same basic mistakes lol.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones/2014/10/30/this-is-why-apple-did-not-want-its-gtat-contracts-made-public/

tldr: GTAT made furnaces to melt rocks and minerals into lenses and glass and poo poo. Apple came to them initially with the intention of buying a shitload of furnaces. Then Apple came back to the company later and were like "you know what gently caress that we don't want to buy these furnaces. How about instead you guys buy them and make a factory despite the fact you have no experience building components for consumer electronics. We won't pay any capital costs but we'll cosign for you on a giant loan. After that we might consider using you as a supplier (but we'll have no obligation to do so). Oh and also you can't sell any parts from this plant to anyone but us"

And GTAT signed that contract. hahahahahahhaaa

oxsnard fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 9, 2015

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Dear god why would anyone accept this:

quote:

Under the new structure, Apple would act as a lender and would have no obligation to purchase any sapphire furnaces, nor did it have any obligation to purchase any sapphire material produced by GTAT.

At the same time, GTAT would be precluded from doing business with any other manufacturer in or supplier to the consumer electronics market.
No person in their right mind would accept these terms. You are taking all the risk and getting debit in return.

How this is even legal I don't know. Apple should be investigated for company slaughter. :psyduck: all around.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
The siren song of "exclusive provider of [thing] for Apple" makes people do crazy stuff.

Jamus
Feb 10, 2007
Well I assume that the exclusivity clause would be invalid if apple didn't choose to use them as a supplier. So the net effect is this company was forced to go into consumer electronics supply, but apple helping out with the loan gave them a better deal than they otherwise would have got, so it must have seemed like an okay opportunity?

I know nothing about business but this is the only way I can rationalise that contract being a good idea.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Last week my fiance got fired from his first paying job ever (he is 30). Today he bought a $1400 phone.

e: He had a temper tantrum because I walked in asked "did you really spend $1400 on a phone?" I didn't yell or say it harshly but I guess my body language was condescending.

Soooo over/under on whether this is gonna work out?

Switchback fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Oct 9, 2015

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Switchback posted:

Last week my fiance got fired from his first paying job ever (he is 30). Today he bought a $1400 phone.

e: He had a temper tantrum because I walked in asked "did you really spend $1400 on a phone?" I didn't yell or say it harshly but I guess my body language was condescending.

How long was he in the job?

CombatInformatiker
Apr 11, 2012

Switchback posted:

:supaburn: Sever! :supaburn:

But seriously, have you tried talking to him about your feelings regarding his purchase, his motivation regarding his purchase, and his reaction to your reaction?

But holy poo poo, why would anyone ever buy a $1400 phone? I mean, even if you can afford it, what's the upside compared to a $700 phone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
What phone costs $1400?!

• Locked thread