Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

The problem with the one piece anime is that the voice actors are amazing, talented people and everyone else that works on the show is awful

Pretty much all the fun bits the anime adds were ad-libbed by tanaka and co.

Um, the soundtrack is seriously loving amazing too, give them credit. Even the 4Kids dub would have been salvageable if they'd sprung for the original OST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The soundtrack is good, but pacing and animation suffer from the worst documented case of shonenitis.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Daeno posted:

Did anyone else get Discworld vibes from the elelphant that holds up Zou?

I seem to vaguely recall someone mentioning that the elephant had been referenced in past manga chapters, but I find the timing curious with Pratchett passing away so recently...maybe Oda was a fan?

That's because they both draw on the same root idea - here's the wiki page about it.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Crosspeice posted:

I knew the anime wasn't for me when I couldn't get through half of Alabasta. Skypeia felt long even in the manga, so I couldn't imagine slogging through it in a slower medium.

Though everyone should jump back in after Skypeia for the G8 arc. Might be the only anime I watch when I do my eventual re-read, aside from a few movies.

Alabasta goes way faster if you aggressively skip episodes up to Spiders Cafe. The first 11 episodes of the arc cover 10 chapters of the manga. They just shoved filler episodes in randomly and the episodes that technically aren't filler would hit a plot covered in two pages of a chapter then make the rest of the episode filler. Once it hits Spiders Cafe it goes back to being normal and the remaining 28 episodes cover 58 chapters, which is reasonable.

Basically Alabasta should have been like 8 episodes shorter since they put a bunch of filler up front it makes the rest of it feel like a slog.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Didn't those episodes feature Ace as a guest star?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's Ace filler which isn't great, but it is at least expanding on them crossing the desert. Usually the anime just ads a side adventure that happen in between manga adventures, like the dragons in East Blue or the worthless Phoenix Pirates and the dumb bounty hunter family.(I think they managed to use both the magma and phoenix fruits here on filler characters) It's easy to skip them and they're generally non-offensive.

Outside of Ennis Lobby, there's very little pacing problems coming from the anime itself until you hit whatever your limit is in the stretch of Amazon Lilly to Marineford. That's when the anime decides gently caress it, who cares about quality or enjoyment, I'm just gonna cash these checks and put in the bare minimum.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

It's actually been long enough that I don't even remember what any of my particular problems with Skypiea were, just that I recall generally disliking it.

For anybody following either of the Jojo threads though, I first read Skypiea around the same time I read Part 4, and I disliked Part 4 back then too so I'm not inclined to take my past opinions on One Piece all that seriously as I forge ahead into the future.

I think it's just mainly cause of the length to be honest. I know you already mentioned it but it bears repeating cause it's always been the biggest flaw of the arc.

This was Oda's second Large Scale Story Arc; unlike Alabasta, it didn't have the momentum carrying into it from any previous islands that helped culminate into an epic showdown at the final island stop. I feel like that went a long ways towards setting up the pacing of that arc since we got enough breaks in between to get a general investment in Vivi and her plight, as well as flesh out the crew a bit more past the East Blue introduction.

Skypeia had none of that; it basically had to build everything lock, stock and barrel from the ground up, with only Jaya offering as the set up. That's tough for any writer to handle, especially since the mythical nature of Sky Island itself had little bearing on the overall plot of the world politics, which seem to be what determines what's deemed a 'good' arc or not by fan consensus.

It was more of a learning experience for Oda than anything I feel, and I'd say it was because of those pacing mistakes he made in Skypeia that greatly affected how the pacing and stakes of the next arc were handled.

I look at Skypeia as a stop that answered the call of the general weirdness that the Grand Line promised us back in the East Blue days when everything was exaggerated to legendary status via word-of-mouth and rumors of all the crazy poo poo that goes on over there, spoken by people who had never visited the Line and weren't going to anytime soon.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Bad Seafood posted:

Blackbeard is, in my opinion, the greatest shounen antagonist currently in publication, and still ranks highly next to his villainous forefathers whose glory days are no longer serialized. I don't even know where to begin with this guy. On a superficial level, there's the fact that Oda decided to make him fat, ugly, and unhygienic in stark contrast to the usual shounen stereotype of the final boss being either beautiful and graceful or at least stately and commanding.

Can someone explain why Blackbeard is assumed to be the final boss out of interest? I'm kind of assuming it's because he's the biggest rival presented so far for One Piece itself, and most people assume the story will end at Raftel with the acquisition of One Piece. No matter what way I look at it though, I just can't see that happening or Blackbeard being the final boss. I mean, if you look at Akainu he seems much more likely to be the final boss. Blackbeard might have announced himself as a threat by capturing Ace, but Akainu announced himself as a threat by killing Ace, which is a big step up in terms of impact on both the story and Luffy himself. Akainu is the central cause of one of the few losses Luffy has ever suffered in the story, along with Kuma - who isn't really a villain.

I could go on, but ultimately everything I could say about the difference between the two comes down to the fact that while Blackbeard is a mirror to Luffy (a more cowardly and amoral version of him), Akainu is his antithesis as you said, and seems to serve the story better in multiple ways as an antagonist than Blackbeard, because while Blackbeard stands as a rival to Luffy in their pursuit of the ultimate sign of their dream, Akainu stands in opposition of the very existence of that dream in the first place.

If you negate the assumption that the story has to end at Raftel (which is a silly assumption in and of itself in my opinion), then Akainu seems much more likely to be the series' final antagonist.

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone

Astro Nut posted:

That's because they both draw on the same root idea - here's the wiki page about it.

Honestly I had no idea. Thanks for enlightening me!

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Gyges posted:

Outside of Ennis Lobby, there's very little pacing problems coming from the anime itself until you hit whatever your limit is in the stretch of Amazon Lilly to Marineford. That's when the anime decides gently caress it, who cares about quality or enjoyment, I'm just gonna cash these checks and put in the bare minimum.

My feelings on anime arcs pre-Impel Down is biased since that's when I got caught up and I could watch them at my leisure until then. Even watching week to week I didn't feel the sluggishness really detract THAT hard from Impel Down. It was definitely noticeable but I still enjoyed it. Marineford was loving garbage. They clearly had long since said "gently caress it" to any concept of brevity, good pacing, or expedience, but by Marineford they also decided to just forgo quality entirely because it didn't apparently impact the ratings or sales or whatever at all. And seriously, that "large group of guys running" footstep sound they seem to have never changed or added anything to is one of the most grating noises I've ever heard.

tsob posted:

Can someone explain why Blackbeard is assumed to be the final boss out of interest?

[...]

If you negate the assumption that the story has to end at Raftel (which is a silly assumption in and of itself in my opinion), then Akainu seems much more likely to be the series' final antagonist.

It's because Blackbeard's story is similar to Luffy's. They both "stole" Devil Fruits from their "friends" (quotes around stole for Luffy since he didn't realize what he'd done and around friends for Blackbeard since he was never really friends with the Whitebeards). They both have big dreams of being the coolest dude around. They both built up a ton of infamy with small crews (though granted it seems Blackbeard's operation has expanded lately). He's just a massive piece of poo poo.

Akainu has never come across to me as anybody more than a guy who's way too into his job. The Marines said they were going to execute Portgas D. Ace, so he made sure it happened one way or another. Nothing he does seems to be in the interest of anything other than catching and eliminating Pirates and making sure the WG's control doesn't slip. I'm sure if he had absolute control of the WG he'd probably be Final Boss material but he's limited by his position and is still stuck following orders, even as Fleet Admiral. Besides, Blackbeard didn't need that added to his record, he's already done plenty of villainous poo poo. He's the one who caught Ace in the first place, remember? So it's his fault even if he didn't do it himself.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

tsob posted:

Can someone explain why Blackbeard is assumed to be the final boss out of interest?

Well there is the meta stuff: Historical Blackbeard being Oda's favorite pirate, the Blackbeard pirates being introduced as a threat much earlier in the story (Drum Island vs Enies Lobby), the fact that Akainu is fairly static and a cog in a much larger organization whilst Blackbeard is still growing and is the head of his own organization.

There's more to it, but the really comes down to shounen thinking. In One Piece willpower is strength, and willpower is strongest when drawn from dreams.

TriffTshngo posted:

Besides, Blackbeard didn't need that added to his record, he's already done plenty of villainous poo poo. He's the one who caught Ace in the first place, remember? So it's his fault even if he didn't do it himself.

Not to mention that he played the Whitebeard pirates and Marines against each other in the process.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 8, 2015

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I think Blackbeard seems like he'd fit as the final boss better than Akainu simply because of how great a foil he is to Luffy, but I think that 1). Luffy will have to defeat Blackbeard to become the Pirate King and get One Piece and 2). the story won't end with Luffy getting One Piece (because the final great war still has to happen). I really can't see Luffy still having to defeat Blackbeard after becoming the greatest pirate.

I've thought Akainu would be the final boss for a long time - but I don't imagine that that friction between him and the upper echelons of the government will go nowhere.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

tsob posted:

Can someone explain why Blackbeard is assumed to be the final boss out of interest? I'm kind of assuming it's because he's the biggest rival presented so far for One Piece itself, and most people assume the story will end at Raftel with the acquisition of One Piece. No matter what way I look at it though, I just can't see that happening or Blackbeard being the final boss. I mean, if you look at Akainu he seems much more likely to be the final boss. Blackbeard might have announced himself as a threat by capturing Ace, but Akainu announced himself as a threat by killing Ace, which is a big step up in terms of impact on both the story and Luffy himself. Akainu is the central cause of one of the few losses Luffy has ever suffered in the story, along with Kuma - who isn't really a villain.

I could go on, but ultimately everything I could say about the difference between the two comes down to the fact that while Blackbeard is a mirror to Luffy (a more cowardly and amoral version of him), Akainu is his antithesis as you said, and seems to serve the story better in multiple ways as an antagonist than Blackbeard, because while Blackbeard stands as a rival to Luffy in their pursuit of the ultimate sign of their dream, Akainu stands in opposition of the very existence of that dream in the first place.

It's because Blackbeard is Luffy's philosophical mirror that he is likely to be the final boss. It forces more introspection on the side of the strawhats and what they stand for/who they are. Because of that, the showdown with BB bears much more gravitas than one last "punch him til he's down" enemy like Akainu would be. BB's fight concerns dreams and values and is a much more real threat to Luffy than Akainu, who is all self preservation and revenge based in conflict. I just can't see it being final confrontation worthy if Akainu is the final threat to Luffy's dream instead of essentially "Dark Luffy".

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
blackbeard is a scheming kind of guy, i could totally see luffy finding out some sort of crazy truth, then the war has to come before raftel, then blackbeards like, heh, beat you here and they get one final showdown alone on an island.

or

blackbeard also learns the truth and they have to race to some post-war objective or something.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

TriffTshngo posted:

They both built up a ton of infamy with small crews (though granted it seems Blackbeard's operation has expanded lately). He's just a massive piece of poo poo.

That's funny, Luffy's operation had expanded too, even though he didn't want it to. Blackbeard probably sought out and coerced people to work under him, and apparently willingly split up his own crew so they could command different ships and go off on special missions. Luffy's group was split up by unforeseen circumstances and he never wanted a fleet in the first place.

It's like I'm reading Naruto there's so many parallels.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
So when did manga stream start serving up drive by downloads and poo poo?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Phone posted:

So when did manga stream start serving up drive by downloads and poo poo?

Yeah it's pretty annoying

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Looks like Kiss has the same exact group, their ad network isn't nearly as awful, and it's all on one page.

Do I want a drive by virus on my phone? Hmmm...

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

tsob posted:

I think we've had this discussion before, but I think I can put it fairly concisely. First, at this point in the story, we're going to have to have already met the end boss to give them weight. In terms of people who are active and in charge of things the only two characters who the end boss reasonably could be are Blackbeard or Akainu.

You're right that between Akainu and Blackbeard, Blackbeard has far more in common with Luffy. But that means fighting Akainu is less meaningful. Luffy vs. Akainu means just about the same thing as Blackbeard vs. Akainu (as an example- replace with any pirate or revolutionary vs. Akainu as desired). It doesn't take Luffy specifically to overthrow the government.

Freedom vs. Justice is a very fundamental theme to this story, but it's so big it's more like the backdrop than the actual narrative. More meaningful is what freedom means. That's more important. And that's what Luffy vs. Blackbeard would mean. Luffy's Freedom vs. Blackbeard's Freedom, Luffy's Dream vs. Blackbeard's Dream... Those differences are saying something.

The world will fall to chaos, the pirates and revolutionaries will ultimately win... and then Luffy will fight Blackbeard to shape what the world should be.

Breaking Akainu's philosophy, while it is fundamentally required, cannot be the final step in this story. It's Blackbeard's philosophy that needs to be addressed.

Plus, we were introduced to Blackbeard waaaay earlier. So, you know... he was there first.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Blackbeard is the only other guy who seems to have a realistic shot at the king of pirates title and the one piece. I think it's as simple as that.

Edit: (the post above is petty much spot on too)

hell astro course fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 8, 2015

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
also blackbeard has a bunch of evil mirrors of the strawhats and lets be real the climax of the story will be a bunch of people fighting each other because its shounen and the guy with evil versions of each crew member is basically the best possible climactic villain

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Begemot posted:

That's funny, Luffy's operation had expanded too, even though he didn't want it to. Blackbeard probably sought out and coerced people to work under him, and apparently willingly split up his own crew so they could command different ships and go off on special missions. Luffy's group was split up by unforeseen circumstances and he never wanted a fleet in the first place.

It's like I'm reading Naruto there's so many parallels.

There's also kind of a family parallel where Luffy and Blackbeard draw in people to join them by their sheer charisma, but Luffy's crew are basically family towards each other whereas his relationship with his fleet, and their relationship towards one another, are as friends who will mutually help each other out in times should they need it. Blackbeard by contrast has a crew who are not entirely loyal towards him (with possible exception of his initial crew) and who would have disbanded if Blackbeard couldn't follow through on his promises, and afterwards aren't entirely content with serving under him.

Given the parallels between Luffy and Blackbeard, it's rather telling that Luffy wants his core members to stay together no matter what, while Blackbeard has no qualms about splitting his own core members up if need be.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
There are a lot of reasons Blackbeard as the final boss makes sense, but here's one that only occurred to me thanks to the reread.

In the second chapter of One Piece we're introduced to am awkward, timid boy named Coby. Coby's a wimp and a nerd and acting cabin boy (against his will) for Alvida, but he doesn't want to be. He wants to be a marine! You know, one of the good guys! He wants to protect the peace and preserve order and serve justice. Luffy takes a liking to Coby and tries to help him out, even though their dreams are mutually exclusive. Sure, Coby being a marine and Luffy being a pirate may cause some strife down the road, but Luffy's fine with that. If Coby wants to be a marine, why should Luffy stand in his way? You get the sense that even if, someday, circumstances should force Luffy and Coby to meet as enemies, they'd still do so with smiles on their faces.

Then we meet Captain Morgan, an arrogant and entirely self-serving marine officer who rules over his outpost and the neighboring town like a tyrant. Luffy beats the tar out of him, not for his crimes against his underlings or mistreatment of the townsfolk, but for "Ruining Coby's dream." Coby thought that a marine was a wonderful thing to be, until this jackass showed up and sullied his inner image of what a marine should be. Fortunately, with Morgan defeated, Coby's dream survives intact.

There are men like Bellamy who deny others' dreams. They're not worth messing with. There are men like Akainu who oppose others' dreams. Well that's fine. They're a natural result of the way the world works. Some dreams are mutually exclusive, with no recourse but to butt heads. We'll cross those bridges when we come to them.

But then there are men like Morgan who destroy others' dreams. These men above all others are twisted and evil.

Blackbeard is to Luffy was Morgan was to Coby. He's a pirate who betrayed what it means to be a pirate. He's a pirate who threatened to tear down Luffy's inner image of what a pirate should be.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Actual content: Robin's reaction and the dragon in general were ridiculously adorable.

KoB
May 1, 2009
The one to finally take down Akainu is obviously Sabo. Like, come on. Its like you've never seen shonen before.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Still don't think Blackbeard will be the final boss.

As much as Blackbeard is Luffy's foil and they will definitely throw down, he's going to be the penultimate boss. Luffy wants to be free to do whatever he wants, that's why he's become a pirate and why his dream is to be King of the Pirates. Blackbeard is not the actual obstacle to that. Blackbeard is the obstacle to Luffy's grand adventure to follow Roger and find the One Piece, however he's not doing anything to make Luffy less free. The only people doing that are the Marines and the World Government.

We know that the World Government is oppressive and have created the void century. It's the void century and the will of D. and the Revolutionary Army that are the over arching plot of the story. Landing on Raftel and finding One Piece just clears up what happened and gives Luffy and the crew the information to decide what to do. Roger and his crew left it there because they could not do anything with it. In order to become the true King of the Pirates Luffy will have to do something against the government that is obstructing not only his freedom but the freedom of others. Reverie also plays into this along with the Ponyglyphs, various royals, celestial dragons, and such.

Looking at pile of still dangling threads and the themes established, Blackbeard just doesn't fit the role of ultimate bad guy. He's just a real big rear end in a top hat that's going to be getting in Luffy's way. Likely providing an alternative solution to the problems should he prevail over Luffy. Likely Blackbeard and Luffy will have a showdown that, in a predestination fate sense, determines the course of events from there. Luffy is going to be championing freedom while Blackbeard will be taking the same information and parallel path to instead try and rule the world. Once the fight between Luffy and Blackbeard is settled, then the final fight commences to overthrow the government and their corrupt order.

Luffy will probably still end up an outlaw, being chased by Admiral Colby as the story closes, but the World Government as is will be gone and everyone will have the freedom to follow their dreams no matter their class, race, or wealth. Maybe we'll even see some happy families giving kids nice childhoods without horrible tragedies.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Final boss will be Akira D Nobunaga, the man who lives in One Piece that gets introduced right at the end and one shots BB to show how SERIOUS it's about to get. He has six pack abs and does not smile and also he invented haki and the sharingan.

deep space nein
Aug 25, 2011
Blackbeard is an opportunist, he'll be the end boss simply by waiting till everyone else has beaten each other bloody and then swooping in just like at marineford. He will be Luffys most hated villain after he takes out Shanks in the sneak attack

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Gyges posted:

Still don't think Blackbeard will be the final boss.

As much as Blackbeard is Luffy's foil and they will definitely throw down, he's going to be the penultimate boss. Luffy wants to be free to do whatever he wants, that's why he's become a pirate and why his dream is to be King of the Pirates. Blackbeard is not the actual obstacle to that. Blackbeard is the obstacle to Luffy's grand adventure to follow Roger and find the One Piece, however he's not doing anything to make Luffy less free. The only people doing that are the Marines and the World Government.

Blackbeard and his crew repeatedly talk about fate. To them everything is predestined, which is the ultimate opposition to freedom. Luffy is all about choice. He won't even tell people whether he is on their side because he doesn't want to take that choice from them.

Teach is a fellow "enemy of god" and he will likely fight Luffy to determine the nature of the next age after the current "gods" of One Piece are thrown down.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 9, 2015

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Amorphous Blob posted:

Final boss will be Akira D Nobunaga, the man who lives in One Piece that gets introduced right at the end and one shots BB to show how SERIOUS it's about to get. He has six pack abs and does not smile and also he invented haki and the sharingan.

Thanks for giving me a laugh by reminding me on how Naruto ended. What a wet fart that entire last arc ended up being.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Problem is Aokiji needs to beat Akainu so I don't see Aka being the final boss, or hell a real boss for Luffy at all.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Veskit posted:

Problem is Aokiji needs to beat Akainu so I don't see Aka being the final boss, or hell a real boss for Luffy at all.

akainu killed ace, there is literally no chance he is beaten by anyone that isnt luffy, sabo, or... i dunno maybe jinbe or marco or something. too much emotional weight.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Akainu is also the face for marines murdering everyone Robin knows. He's got quite a bit of comeuppance in the cards, and Robin/Sabo/Aokiji probably all play into it.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Tellin you people Garp is gonna lay the smackdown on him. Perhaps Akainu will corner Luffy and Company somehow and Garp will step in and be like "I got your justice right here!" as Luffy escapes.

I also like the whole schism in the marines possibility between Akainu and the sane people.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Crazy theory: The five giants leaving Buggy's crew are literal giants. They're joining up with the giants serving under Luffy.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Yeah, I really want Garp to finish what Whitebeard started. Just grandpa punching that shitbag into the ground permanently.

Cloks posted:

Crazy theory: The five giants leaving Buggy's crew are literal giants. They're joining up with the giants serving under Luffy.

They are the giants who just joined up with Luffy.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Cloks posted:

I thought that was heavily implied not a theory?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cloks posted:

This theory is about as crazy as my controversial opinions are controversial.

Hjar literally says he has 4 other giants he dreams of recreating the Giant Pirates with.

Then in this chapter we are told that 5 giants, including Hjar, have left Buggy's crew.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Veskit posted:

I thought that was heavily implied not a theory?

It's explicitly stated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuckshoes
Jul 11, 2001

sup ladies
Coby is going to get absolutely wrecked by the Blackbeard pirates, isn't he?