Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Cicero posted:

Amazon already has such low prices that they barely make a profit overall. The high salaries are because of how much demand there is for certain skillsets, rather than because they're raking in the big bucks.

Amazon doesn't generally turn a profit because they aggressively re-invest profits into the business to continue to grow or develop new areas of the business, not because they don't make money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Not to beat a dead horse but another benefit effect of the HOT lanes on 405 is that buses cannot get over legally from the left lanes to make a one-exit jump on the freeway, so now they are allowed to drive on the shoulder during certain times and places

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Tolling/405/BusShoulderLanes.htm

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

If we do things right we can use century link as idle parking for the automated vehicle fleet during off peak hours.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

NippleFloss posted:

Amazon doesn't generally turn a profit because they aggressively re-invest profits into the business to continue to grow or develop new areas of the business, not because they don't make money.
I'm aware, I just meant they don't have a ton of extra money lying around to radically increase the pay of their engineers.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cicero posted:

I'm aware, I just meant they don't have a ton of extra money lying around to radically increase the pay of their engineers.

I thought the argument was the opposite - that Amazon was paying the engineers so well that they were gentrifying the area.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

computer parts posted:

I thought the argument was the opposite - that Amazon was paying the engineers so well that they were gentrifying the area.
Amazon engineer pay is obviously still very good compared to most jobs, you got brand new college grads making like ~120k between salary/stock/bonus. This is driven by demand for programmers, I was just pointing out before that it would be difficult for Amazon to substantially increase their pay yet further.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

effectual posted:

Maybe the corporation could reduce prices if they're making so much money they're inadvertently gentrifying an area? (I know it'll never happen)

Personally I'd rather have a corp. go to the suburbs like microsoft did, rather than gentrify a city and force the poor to move to the suburbs.

A lot of the trouble seems to stem from taking the suburban "business campus" design and plopping it right in the middle of the city. Wouldn't the best solution be to have companies aggressively implement telework for positions which do not require a physical presence, such as programming and UX for Microsoft and Amazon, thus allowing those that have lower paying jobs but who do have a physical presence requirement to not be in direct competition for housing?

If for some reason you need a programming or design team to be able to be in the same room every workday there isn't any real reason you can't have them at a satellite office. That isn't to say you'd remove all high paid people from the area around a corporate HQ because things like hardware prototyping will still need the people in the same room with the hardware and duplicating prototyping systems at each small office is a waste, but it would help.

Of course even with that you could end up with a San Francisco situation of highly paid workers suddenly deciding an area is cool and all piling in, but it might help dilute even that by reducing the clustering effect around transit or company bus routes.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
Telepresence isn't an answer that works for everyone. I personally hate working remotely. I get infinitely more work done in the office, even with an open workspace and how bad that is, compared to when I try to work from home. I prefer to collaborate with my coworkers in person with face-to-face conversations, but maybe I'm rare for the tech industry nowadays.

That being said, I work in Kirkland and stay in the 'burbs except on occasional weekends. Ain't no gentrifying coming from me! I specifically chose Kirkland over Seattle too because I'm a domestic 30-something oldster starting a family and it's way cheaper/more peaceful than in the city.

Flobbster fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 9, 2015

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This seems obvious, but how much work you really need to get done in a day at an office job varies widely by job. In some positions, working from home is a great stress reducer. It's definitely harder to concentrate on work, but realistically most people tune out around hour 6 at work anyway.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/09/t...WT.nav=top-news

Seattle does indeed realize that becoming San Francisco should not be the goal, and the only real way to do that is to get out in front of Amazon with realistic housing.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

This seems obvious, but how much work you really need to get done in a day at an office job varies widely by job. In some positions, working from home is a great stress reducer. It's definitely harder to concentrate on work, but realistically most people tune out around hour 6 at work anyway.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/09/t...WT.nav=top-news

Seattle does indeed realize that becoming San Francisco should not be the goal, and the only real way to do that is to get out in front of Amazon with realistic housing.

San Francisco has laws that prevent high density buildings, so of course a bedroom in their limited density buildings are going to be $3000+

Earlier this year I considered moving down there for a really fun job, but it would've meant leaving my 4 bedroom house to move into a studio for twice the cost of my current house. The way we prevent this from happening and/or getting worse than it already is is more development, flood the market with housing and the prices will drop as supply outpaces demand.

Also do you guys understand that companies go where the business and talent is? You're not going to find many companies opening up shop in the middle of nowhere where they have few customers and abysmal hiring options.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

A lot of the trouble seems to stem from taking the suburban "business campus" design and plopping it right in the middle of the city. Wouldn't the best solution be to have companies aggressively implement telework for positions which do not require a physical presence, such as programming and UX for Microsoft and Amazon, thus allowing those that have lower paying jobs but who do have a physical presence requirement to not be in direct competition for housing?

If for some reason you need a programming or design team to be able to be in the same room every workday there isn't any real reason you can't have them at a satellite office. That isn't to say you'd remove all high paid people from the area around a corporate HQ because things like hardware prototyping will still need the people in the same room with the hardware and duplicating prototyping systems at each small office is a waste, but it would help.

Of course even with that you could end up with a San Francisco situation of highly paid workers suddenly deciding an area is cool and all piling in, but it might help dilute even that by reducing the clustering effect around transit or company bus routes.
If telecommuting was a panacea, then companies would already be doing it so they could pay lower salaries and also less for office space. My technical lead at work works remotely but it does make communication a bit harder. When it's just one dude on a team it's not so bad, but if everyone worked in a different place it'd be very difficult. I mean the whole reason cities are cool and productive is because of serendipitous face to face interaction, I don't think it's a stretch to say that this probably applies to within companies too (especially when those companies are as big as some cities).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Even ignoring generation differences, people generally like interacting directly with people, as opposed to over text/phone/Skype/etc.

This is doubly true during non-routine circumstances (i.e., anything from a meeting to a crisis situation).

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
While programming seems like a perfect job for telecommuting, and it can be done pretty well, in person has some great advantages. Much of the work is not typing things into computers, but thinking about how they work and what to implement. A conversation around a whiteboard can be much more effective to create a design than playing IM/Email tag.

Even though there are the moments where getting down to coding invites entering "the coding zone" and blocking out the world, the ability to grab someone with a simple "Yo, anyone know about such and such?" makes open bays pretty good. I don't have the stats on how distractions balance out compared to the time saved through being able to talk to everyone easily and fluidly, but I honestly consider a physically separated team a bad sign.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

foobardog posted:

A conversation around a whiteboard can be much more effective to create a design than playing IM/Email tag.

Few people would disagree with that specific claim, but think it's a false dichotomy: you're comparing a collaboration method with a shared visualization to one without. A slightly more apples-to-apples comparison might be a whiteboard vs the edits and comments in a google doc. To say nothing of all the hits I get when I search for "online whiteboard", any of which can be combined with your voice chat of choice, some of which probably have it built-in.

quote:

Even though there are the moments where getting down to coding invites entering "the coding zone" and blocking out the world, the ability to grab someone with a simple "Yo, anyone know about such and such?" makes open bays pretty good.

My current engineering organization is mostly split between a few big offices in different time zones, plus quite a few fully remote people scattered about the boonies (I'm in an office). Almost all of us are in Slack all drat day. The sheer amount of expertise you can summon on-demand to answer your questions about bash or Scala or dependent types (to say nothing of business-specific poo poo) cannot even be compared to asking it aloud. I'm not sure if I could yell loud enough for 300 plus people to hear my question even if we were in the same room, and if I could, I suspect those nearest to me might find it distracting! And what if they had a question at the same time?

I personally think remote-first wins big for programming right now, principally because we're so bad at designing useful shared spaces for it, and to a lesser degree because you can hire the best for less, but big public corporations probably won't do more than dip their toe in, since they can't act purely in their own long-term interest.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Doc Hawkins posted:

My current engineering organization is mostly split between a few big offices in different time zones, plus quite a few fully remote people scattered about the boonies (I'm in an office). Almost all of us are in Slack all drat day. The sheer amount of expertise you can summon on-demand to answer your questions about bash or Scala or dependent types (to say nothing of business-specific poo poo) cannot even be compared to asking it aloud. I'm not sure if I could yell loud enough for 300 plus people to hear my question even if we were in the same room, and if I could, I suspect those nearest to me might find it distracting! And what if they had a question at the same time?

This sounds like a team that can easily be split into subgroups without much lost.

I mean you still have to know "Bob is good with this thing" or whatever so there's not really a difference between messaging him on the group thing or calling him up yourself.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Hooray, got my ballot in the mail so I can have the whole family poo poo on Tim Eyman!

On the off chance that you are a crazy enough person that Tim Eyman being associated with something doesn't mean automatic no, 1366 got a glowing endorsement from Pam Mothafuckin Roach in the paper, so that should pretty much seal the deal.

Hopefully Eyman gets a big fat no on 1366 for Christmas and is then spending some time behind bars starting in 2016.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 18, 2015

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Every time I remember Pam Roach is still in the state legislature I have to ask myself what the gently caress she's done to keep getting people to vote for her. Aside from being an absolute garbage nightmare person to work with and for, has she actually done anything note worthy in Olympia?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Since moving up north, I kinda miss seeing goodspaceguy in the voters guide, but Snohomish County gets to features guys like this:

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Maneki Neko posted:

Since moving up north, I kinda miss seeing goodspaceguy in the voters guide, but Snohomish County gets to features guys like this:

I'd vote for Electrick DeWitt

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Electrick Dewitt has my vote.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Maneki Neko posted:

Read this to yourself in the Liam Neeson voice and it is amazing.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Maneki Neko posted:

This guy has my vote.

edit: so does this guy

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 19, 2015

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
Autoplay is terrible and annoying, stop trying to tell me what to do with my removable media, Windows. :argh:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

foobardog posted:

Autoplay is terrible and annoying, stop trying to tell me what to do with my removable media, Windows. :argh:

Yeah, I was a little tempted to email him.

It was alright in Windows XP I suppose, can't blame him for Microsoft holding onto annoying practices well past their lifespan.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Maneki Neko posted:

He invented autoplay? Launch him into the sun.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
From the USPol thread: Dori Monson, unsurprisingly did something incredibly terrible: http://www.iexaminer.org/2015/10/poc-yoga-closure-a-tragedy/

Essentially, he called out a Yoga studio in Seattle for being a safe space for minorities (aka non-whites). Dori decried reverse racism without exploring why minorities might want a safe space. The story got picked up by Infowars and angry callers started calling the studio every 5 minutes leaving death threats. Dori concern trolls "I don't have a problem with them doing it, I just think it's hypocritical they can do that whereas the government shuts down a bakery not catering a gay wedding" and then claimed he has no control over what his listeners does. By doing so, he's completely proven why these safe spaces are needed from angry white people.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Dori Monson sounds like he needs to blow his loving nose

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

seiferguy posted:

From the USPol thread: Dori Monson, unsurprisingly did something incredibly terrible: http://www.iexaminer.org/2015/10/poc-yoga-closure-a-tragedy/

Essentially, he called out a Yoga studio in Seattle for being a safe space for minorities (aka non-whites). Dori decried reverse racism without exploring why minorities might want a safe space. The story got picked up by Infowars and angry callers started calling the studio every 5 minutes leaving death threats. Dori concern trolls "I don't have a problem with them doing it, I just think it's hypocritical they can do that whereas the government shuts down a bakery not catering a gay wedding" and then claimed he has no control over what his listeners does. By doing so, he's completely proven why these safe spaces are needed from angry white people.

I mean to be fair it was almost certainly illegal. A business can't employ racial discrimination, full-stop. I'm sure she's a good person, and it sounds like she was a quiet yoga practitioner who got brow-beaten by a conservative radio-jock jerk, but at the end of the day you can't advertise services with an open disclaimer that certain races or skin colors are excluded. The Washington State courts don't give you a pass for "good intentions" (nor should they).

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=49.60.030

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Kaal posted:

I mean to be fair it was almost certainly illegal. A business can't employ racial discrimination, full-stop. I'm sure she's a good person, and it sounds like she was a quiet yoga practitioner who got brow-beaten by a conservative radio-jock jerk, but at the end of the day you can't advertise services with an open disclaimer that certain races or skin colors are excluded. The Washington State courts don't give you a pass for "good intentions" (nor should they).

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=49.60.030

Hmm, but then how do women's clubs, shelters, etc. exist? Because they would violate this same law.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Drunk Tomato posted:

Hmm, but then how do women's clubs, shelters, etc. exist? Because they would violate this same law.

Women's clubs are typically a private club with a membership, therefore not subject to the same requirements. Women's shelters aren't commercial entities, and the women who go there aren't paying customers. There's a variety of ways to get around civil rights protections and commerce clause requirements, but it's pretty obvious that the POC Yoga folks were too small-time to be aware of them. I mean they were just a tiny little studio run in a woman's house, and their biggest protection against oversight was that the group was effectively a secret one. But yeah, they were pretty clearly breaking the law, and if she had continued the group with the same practices and advertising then she'd be asking to be investigated.

I'm not arguing against the idea that this was a sad story, and that she's a sympathetic character who has been hurt by the reprisal against her, but I do think that it's disappointing to see a handful of progressive blogs try to pick up and run with this story as if she were somehow not at fault here. Those homophobic Portland bakers seemed like relatively nice people (the wife anyway) who were also hurt by the course of events, but that didn't give them a pass to illegally discriminate. Discrimination isn't a team sport, it's just wrong and illegal.

Here's a full legal explanation about women's clubs, which are probably a close comparative to the POC Yoga concept: http://download.ihrsa.org/gr/womenonly.pdf

Kaal fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 20, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
The homophobic cake company family in OR went out of their way to contact the media and share uncensored information about the gay couple in question (among other things) and start a shitstorm, and were subsequently fined for damages resulting from the media shitstorm and what then happened to the homosexual couple.. Up to and including the lesbian couples' religiously-devout family members cutting off contact and keeping them from contacting other relatives, cutting them out of a family will, upsetting their adopted kid, etc, iirc.

The christian baker couple then went on to try and run some kickstarters and poo poo for christian baking companies or something, and eventually went media silent.

I'm pretty sure they weren't from Portland either, they were from some redneck outlying town. edit: yeah, gresham (named after a Civil War general, mind you! :laugh: ) http://www.snopes.com/2015/07/03/sweet-cakes-melissa-damages/

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 20, 2015

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

So is there anyone willing to counter-argue with The Stranger's cheat-sheet for the Seattle mail-in ballot? I've got it hot and ready in my hands and I'm not going to drop it off until Thursday.

Also: VOTE! REGISTER FOR NEXT YEAR! EDUCATE YOURSELF ON CANDIDATES AND ISSUES!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I actively want to learn about the candidates but the local ones here invariably have no online presence whatsoever, and getting name + party is often a stretch. :|

Then again, this area is rural enough that there is a serious argument going on facebook about the legality of riding horses on public roads.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

coyo7e posted:

The homophobic cake company family in OR went out of their way to contact the media and share uncensored information about the gay couple in question (among other things) and start a shitstorm, and were subsequently fined for damages resulting from the media shitstorm and what then happened to the homosexual couple.. Up to and including the lesbian couples' religiously-devout family members cutting off contact and keeping them from contacting other relatives, cutting them out of a family will, upsetting their adopted kid, etc, iirc. ... I'm pretty sure they weren't from Portland either, they were from some redneck outlying town. edit: yeah, gresham (named after a Civil War general, mind you! :laugh: ) http://www.snopes.com/2015/07/03/sweet-cakes-melissa-damages/

Gresham is basically a suburb of Portland, and while it is more conservative than Portland it's hardly redneck. And General Gresham was a Union general and an ardent Republican (aka liberal abolitionist). And demonizing the cake couple doesn't take away from the fact that they were also hurt by the reprisals. Conservative blogs were filled with pity-stories about how they lost their business, suffered death threats, had to get police protection, were crying all the time, etc. Exactly the same as these liberal articles about the POC Yoga folks. Everyone always gets hurt in these sorts of things, but that doesn't mitigate the fact that the discrimination was wrong.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Gerund posted:

So is there anyone willing to counter-argue with The Stranger's cheat-sheet for the Seattle mail-in ballot? I've got it hot and ready in my hands and I'm not going to drop it off until Thursday.

Also: VOTE! REGISTER FOR NEXT YEAR! EDUCATE YOURSELF ON CANDIDATES AND ISSUES!

Ooh good reminder I need to check the Stranger cheat sheet. Even for the candidates not on my ballot it's a good read.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Kaal posted:

Everyone always gets hurt in these sorts of things, but that doesn't mitigate the fact that the discrimination was wrong.

I think lots of people here would argue that the "discrimination" in the case of the POC yoga studio is not at all morally wrong.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Drunk Tomato posted:

I think lots of people here would argue that the "discrimination" in the case of the POC yoga studio is not at all morally wrong.

Well if they want to explain their theories on carving out exemptions to our civil rights protections, please go right ahead. I'll stay on the "discrimination is wrong" train where I don't accidentally justify segregation.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Kaal posted:

Well if they want to explain their theories on carving out exemptions to our civil rights protections, please go right ahead. I'll stay on the "discrimination is wrong" train where I don't accidentally justify segregation.
Trying to cast super broad concepts in yes/no terms is argumentative reductionism.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

anthonypants posted:

Trying to cast super broad concepts in yes/no terms is argumentative reductionism.

I suppose that no one is particularly shocked that you'd come out in support of discrimination. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
i am also p okay with discriminating against white people

• Locked thread