Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

@dick_nixon is pretty on ball about the speaker election:

quote:

The fellow who until not long ago was majority whip -- who should know about every boyfriend, whore, and buried body -- can't get the votes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Welp eventually Boehner will kill himself either in a deliberate suicide or by prolonged excessive drinking/smoking so they'll have to figure something out

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Please tell me McCarthy is dropping out because he cannot string together a coherent English sentence.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Im listening to CNN in the car and the scene they're reporting on is hilarious.

"Bewildered" has been thrown around quite a bit

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Ahahahahahaha ahahahahahahah

oh my god this is delicious.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
So if McCarthy can't get 218, can anyone?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Fifteen of Many posted:

Jake Sherman just tweeted that McCarthy has dropped out of the speaker race.

Given some of the recent rumblings I heard, it seems like there might have been some dirt that the Freedom Caucus or some other group was going to drop on him to ruin his chances anyway.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
Holy gently caress. Crazy Train is coming.

Oh god, please Louie Gohmert, please toss your name into the ring

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Q: Can the GOP govern?

A: lol

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

AhhYes posted:

Probably not, unless everyone decides to throw their lot in with the Freedom Caucus in an election year. Seems about as likely as getting a mystical unicorn as speaker.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

AhhYes posted:

Benghazi? Satan? Unborn Fetus #320409?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nancy Pelosi is gonna be speaker again.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

"Boehner, come back!"

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
What about me? I'd be a pretty good speaker.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

zoux posted:

Nancy Pelosi is gonna be speaker again.

lol we could only hope

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

lol we could only hope

If I was Joe Moderate who was interested in governance and you offered me a choice between Pelosi and whatever talking point hate golem the Tea Party offers up, it'd give me pause.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

zoux posted:

If I was Joe Moderate who was interested in governance and you offered me a choice between Pelosi and whatever talking point hate golem the Tea Party offers up, it'd give me pause.

There aren't, clearly, enough Joe Moderate Republicans who would be willing to commit political suicide.

Like, can you imagine how /moist/ the far right would get at the idea of being able to primary a bunch of Republicans?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

AhhYes posted:

No. Though he didn't help himself with the establishment wing by blowing the cover off the benghazi 'investigation'.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

How many of those guys are left in the GOP now, particularly in the House?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
What if they just re-elected Boehner again? He doesn't technically have to be running to be re-elected, does he? Which is not to say he would take the job but it would certainly be a referendum that the Republican's need him to get anything done and might embolden him to be a stronger leader and stand up to the tea party crowd.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Does business get done without a speaker? Is everything else on hold (likr a CR to avoid the debt limit) until this gets figured out?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

nachos posted:

These deep red state freedom caucus members need some sort of victory. They may eventually agree on a speaker but I'm betting it won't be McCarthy. They've staked their position and if they back out now they'll get primaried.

:smug:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I imagine he's going to look a lot better to the bomb throwers in a week's time.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

What if they just re-elected Boehner again? He doesn't technically have to be running to be re-elected, does he? Which is not to say he would take the job but it would certainly be a referendum that the Republican's need him to get anything done and might embolden him to be a stronger leader and stand up to the tea party crowd.

I think if they can't elect a Speaker he just stays Speaker.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

How many of those guys are left in the GOP now, particularly in the House?

Just need 30. I don't know if they have that many, though.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Just need 30. I don't know if they have that many, though.

Yeah I suppose the real question is how many moderates there are that are also not in deep-red districts ripe for some psychopath to step in and primary them.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The freedom caucus just toppled McCarthy's bid and they weren't sane about the limits of their power before getting two scalps in a week. There's no path forward for the rest of the Republican I can see short of conceding to the freedom caucus or begging the Democrats to get their speaker nominee over 218. And both of those are devastating to the party.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Monkey Fracas posted:

I think if they can't elect a Speaker he just stays Speaker.

That'll be hard to do if he resigns. I mean, yes, technically you could elect Blake Bortles as speaker of the house, but it'd be a really bad idea if he's not even going to show up.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Say this to literally anyone in the Army. They'll die laughing.

If said with regards to most things, yeah, probably.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Good thing there's no important work that the House needs to get done or we'd really be in a pickle!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ron Jeremy posted:

Does business get done without a speaker? Is everything else on hold (likr a CR to avoid the debt limit) until this gets figured out?

Boehner is still speaker and intends to be until the 30th. He could just jam through bills to fix the debt limit if he felt like it before then. Doubt he will, but he could.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Good job putting these people in power America.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

There's virtually no president for this sort of situation. the last time there was a contested speakership inside a party was like the 1920's when there were very, very different rules on the process.

they could, of course, change the rules so that you only need a plurality, but that could be Pyrrhic

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

Yeah I suppose the real question is how many moderates there are that are also not in deep-red districts ripe for some psychopath to step in and primary them.

I don't actually think it'll happen, it's just kind of funny.

evilweasel posted:

The freedom caucus just toppled McCarthy's bid and they weren't sane about the limits of their power before getting two scalps in a week. There's no path forward for the rest of the Republican I can see short of conceding to the freedom caucus or begging the Democrats to get their speaker nominee over 218. And both of those are devastating to the party.

The only thing I can think is that McCarthy gets back in once it becomes clear to the freedom caucus what they just did, I don't see how they build a consensus around Gowdy, Webster or Gohmert.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

zoux posted:

The only thing I can think is that McCarthy gets back in once it becomes clear to the freedom caucus what they just did, I don't see how they build a consensus around Gowdy, Webster or Gohmert.

Something bad has to happen to them for them to realize they made a mistake, and the House unable to do anything at all is sort of what they want. I can't see them being displeased with any of the potential results from this. Even though they should be, but if they had the ability to realize that they wouldn't be the freedom caucus.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
This year in politics is better than I could ever possibly have imagined, and much, much better than I deserve.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Does the strict letter of the law prevent them from electing Reagan speaker?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

evilweasel posted:

Something bad has to happen to them for them to realize they made a mistake, and the House unable to do anything at all is sort of what they want. I can't see them being displeased with any of the potential results from this. Even though they should be, but if they had the ability to realize that they wouldn't be the freedom caucus.

Yeah. I honestly don't know what's gonna happen.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

James Garfield posted:

Does the strict letter of the law prevent them from electing Reagan speaker?

It does not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?
I bet the teahadists showed the infidelity card, and who wouldn't assume they are batshit crazy enough to play it?

• Locked thread