Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Ticket of the day:

quote:

5 cant ty*e as there 5s an 5c6n 6n and 5 d6nt 2n6w h6w t6 get r5d 6f 5t
Can y64 4ndestand+

numlock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

AlphaKretin posted:

That's come up a few times before in the thread with .lnks but I can't remember the resolution or cause. How is it always Reader? :psyduck:

I think it's some annoying registery fuckery to fix it. I've seen it happen a few times (always with adobe reader), and every single time I just said gently caress it and imaged it.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Throw all laptop keyboards in the sea.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

My place of work entered Hard Mode yesterday. I've been chugging along all summer, coming in up to 2 hours early and staying up to 3 hours late on various days making sure that all of our EMV conversions are getting done. For the most part, it's been an uphill, losing battle. We've been getting the installations done, but at the expense of me not being in the office to answer phone calls and emails, which have been piling up fast. Once the October 1st deadline for EMV's liability shift hit, our tech support call centers all pretty much stopped functioning due to the massive influx of phone calls they now receive at all hours of the day and night. This morning, for example, I tried calling in at 6am for a file build request and it took them 35 minutes to pick up my call, when normally it would take less than 10 seconds.

As I sit here writing this, I've just been informed that Tasq, the major supplier of credit card terminals for the eastern half, if not all of, the country has run out of anything that could be used to be EMV compliant. They have no VX520s, no ICT250s, no FD50s/100s/130s, no FD35 pinpads, nothing. We have 20 FD35s and 4 VX520s left and I have a total of 35 units already scheduled to be installed over the course of the next 2 weeks.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

bitterandtwisted posted:

Ticket of the day:

numlock

I booted up some one-diskette free BSD once to try out if it would suit my needs and for some reason it switched F and P around so I decided against it.

(Might have been some other two keys/letters, this was like ten years ago, but you get the point.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I mean who wants files named asdpadpasdpsdpasdp?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

lodewijk posted:

Problem: Phone is broken.
Resolution: Informed user that this was impossible, since he was calling me.

Gold.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
So after having my Z-series idea shot down, apparently the CE went into the department head meeting yesterday morning and, when the idea was brought up by the department wanting the new computer, the CE claimed that it was a wonderful idea and how he had been suggesting for the past year that they replace that editor (lie) his personal suggestion would be a Z-Series Workstation (also lie). So now he's kidnapped this whole project and I guaran-drat-tee you he'll order an iBuyPower with RAIDed budget SSDs for a scratch disk, brag about how much cheaper he was able to get it, and then dump the whole thing on me to deploy and maintain.

I was not aware of this and went to tell the department head this morning that CE had denied the request. She went into a frenzy and stomped into the GM's office and threw a fit about CE and how his attitude, ego, and insecurity were personally affecting her department and had been for years and on and on and on. Then she dropped my name and I was called in and basically bitched out for trying to head up projects I had no business heading up and to leave everything to the CE.

So, I'm out. I'm done. No more initiative on my part. He wins. No more AWS client uploads, no more redundant storage planning, no more WiFi deployment, no more anything that isn't a tech support ticket.

I am officially a broken man and I redouble my efforts to find a new job; I don't care what or where it is, just get me out of here.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

larchesdanrew posted:

So after having my Z-series idea shot down, apparently the CE went into the department head meeting yesterday morning and, when the idea was brought up by the department wanting the new computer, the CE claimed that it was a wonderful idea and how he had been suggesting for the past year that they replace that editor (lie) his personal suggestion would be a Z-Series Workstation (also lie). So now he's kidnapped this whole project and I guaran-drat-tee you he'll order an iBuyPower with RAIDed budget SSDs for a scratch disk, brag about how much cheaper he was able to get it, and then dump the whole thing on me to deploy and maintain.

I was not aware of this and went to tell the department head this morning that CE had denied the request. She went into a frenzy and stomped into the GM's office and threw a fit about CE and how his attitude, ego, and insecurity were personally affecting her department and had been for years and on and on and on. Then she dropped my name and I was called in and basically bitched out for trying to head up projects I had no business heading up and to leave everything to the CE.

So, I'm out. I'm done. No more initiative on my part. He wins. No more AWS client uploads, no more redundant storage planning, no more WiFi deployment, no more anything that isn't a tech support ticket.

I am officially a broken man and I redouble my efforts to find a new job; I don't care what or where it is, just get me out of here.

https://careers.epic.com/

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

larchesdanrew posted:

find a new job
:yotj:

Also I like that "purchasing a computer" is a "project" at your (current) place of business. Good lord almighty. Good luck, transfer all that time you were previously spending on showing initiative and fixing issues to studying for certs and gtfo'ing.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

larchesdanrew posted:

A: No more initiative on my part.

B: redouble my efforts to find a new job

Move your energy from A to B.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
Part of me saw this coming but the other part is going "what the gently caress".

gently caress that GM forever, reminds me of mine.

E: in that our GM won't even spend money on equipment these days at all, he's in some hosed up dream world of "well I bought it once why do I need to buy it again".

So instead our CE is borrowing equipment and computers from a contact he has at a local school district, else we wouldn't be on the air at ALL.

Haquer fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 8, 2015

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Move your energy from A to B.

This. If I had an over abundance of cash I swear to god I would personally move you and your family and cover a couple month's wages to get you out of there this weekend. Jesus christ.

Haquer posted:

So instead our CE is borrowing equipment and computers from a contact he has at a local school district, else we wouldn't be on the air at ALL.

This is terrifying.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Why do all CEs for local TV stations suck (I say this based on a sample size of 2)? Is it small markets only?

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Why do all CEs for local TV stations suck (I say this based on a sample size of 2)? Is it small markets only?

You have it backward, our CE is the good guy, our GM won't spend a dime on his own station.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

larchesdanrew posted:

At this point working for Best Buy/Apple/some sort of tech retail while searching for a job will be better than that shithole.

I'm so glad I got out of TV (production, not broadcast), the headache was just not worth it in the end. Of course now I work for an VAR/MSP that supports production companies but it's much nicer.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

pr0digal posted:

At this point working for Best Buy/Apple/some sort of tech retail while searching for a job will be better than that shithole.

Seriously

A buddy of mine got laid off from his job as the sole IT person for a small pharma company, so he went to Best Buy for a part time job and they fell over themselves trying to hire him. He managed to negotiate absolutely ridiculous terms due to his experience and their need for good technicians, and managed to get them to agree to basically let him lock himself in an office and fix computers for 39 hours a week at $13/hour.

I obviously don't recommend tech retail if you can help but but it's frankly not that bad if you have no other options.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Actual ticket from an actual teacher:

quote:

I have an update on need on my computer for my printer but I can not updated.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Was that even English?

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
No idea, so happy I'm only covering through Friday for our onsite guy. handholding grown rear end adults through resetting their gmail password because they keep all of their work documents on google docs is getting old.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

larchesdanrew posted:

Check your PMs.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Haquer posted:

In my town, that'd be a massive misuse of government equipment and a HEAVY handed smackdown would come down on this contact of theirs.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Nerdrock posted:

In my town, that'd be a massive misuse of government equipment and a HEAVY handed smackdown would come down on this contact of theirs.

Yeah I've been waiting for this to happen, and I'll be sad if it does.

Not for this station but for the guy, he's just a nice guy and wants to help us :shobon:

Our GM expects people to do things like this for him though out of some hosed up self inflated worth. The best is when something fucks up he'll ask our CE if [school contact] can get us a new one for free.

Yes I've been job hunting, why do you ask?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

larchesdanrew posted:

Dicks.

Lots and lots of dicks.

Screw that company. If they want to buy equipment like a cheap Chinese restaurant buys meat, screw 'em.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Haquer posted:

Yeah I've been waiting for this to happen, and I'll be sad if it does.

Not for this station but for the guy, he's just a nice guy and wants to help us :shobon:

Our GM expects people to do things like this for him though out of some hosed up self inflated worth. The best is when something fucks up he'll ask our CE if [school contact] can get us a new one for free.

Yes I've been job hunting, why do you ask?

email your local school board asking about it. there might be a job opening at the schools shortly afterwards :)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I just realized I'm in the "A ticket came in" thread when, in fact, I'm the guy who writes the tickets :greencube: Or, more often than not, I don't. Every time someone tells me about a problem it's so vague I won't even bother asking for details because they'll be unable to give them anyway (and I certainly won't open anything on a "USER HAD PROBLEM ERROR TERROR DOCUMENTO PUERTO RICO HABLA HOBLA CHA CHA CHA MASSAGE WINDAW ON SCREEN BUT HE CKICKLED IT AWAY WITH MUSE NOW IT'S GONE LOLLLERSTRÖMBERG HELP SOS" basis like a lot of other people seem* to do) so I always just nod and forget about it immediately until I run into the same problem myself. Also if someone Lyncs me "HEY COME HAVE A LOOK AT THIS" I just block them because it's loving Lync you can share your loving screen oh wait you already left for lunch anyway like ten seconds after telling me to come over so gently caress you buddy.

*) Yes I look at the queue daily just for laughs. The Norwegians in our company seem the absolute dumbest when it comes to IT for some reason :norway:

Do I sound angry? I'm not even angry :shrug:

e: Of course reading threads like this make me feel a lot better about my work :tipshat:

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 8, 2015

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Deployed a new laptop yesterday for a client whose existing one was EOL and chugging along. Help add to the domain, install leftover apps, test login, the usual stuff.

Get an email today that they got the Vosteran virus/malware on the laptop. "But I swear I didn't download anything, it was like that when I got it!" I humor them, export Chrome bookmarks and clean everything off (including reinstalling Chrome and blowing away the AppData\Local\Google folder). A few minutes later..."it's back, can you clean it again??"

Turned out the idiot got infected via Google Apps, there's some bullshit extension for Chrome that kept getting installed when they'd sign in. Cleaned again, told them not to sign into Apps on the work machine and if they must use Chrome, import the bookmarks instead. Seen to many of these retarded viruses and malware getting in through file sharing/backup programs, we already have one client who has outright banned using Dropbox, Google Drive or Carbonite due to a Crypto infection and has us backing up important workstations with our own tool to be safe. Any further infections from here on out are basically "we'll try to clean it off but if it takes more than 20-30 minutes, we're wiping the drat thing".

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Jerry Cotton posted:

I just realized I'm in the "A ticket came in" thread when, in fact, I'm the guy who writes the tickets Or, more often than not, I don't. Every time someone tells me about a problem it's so vague I won't even bother asking for details because they'll be unable to give them anyway (and I certainly won't open anything on a "USER HAD PROBLEM ERROR TERROR DOCUMENTO PUERTO RICO HABLA HOBLA CHA CHA CHA MASSAGE WINDAW ON SCREEN BUT HE CKICKLED IT AWAY WITH MUSE NOW IT'S GONE LOLLLERSTRÖMBERG HELP SOS" basis like a lot of other people seem* to do) so I always just nod and forget about it immediately until I run into the same problem myself. Also if someone Lyncs me "HEY COME HAVE A LOOK AT THIS" I just block them because it's loving Lync you can share your loving screen oh wait you already left for lunch anyway like ten seconds after telling me to come over so gently caress you buddy.

*) Yes I look at the queue daily just for laughs. The Norwegians in our company seem the absolute dumbest when it comes to IT for some reason

Do I sound angry? I'm not even angry

e: Of course reading threads like this make me feel a lot better about my work

If you're the guy who is supposed to be helping, you're being a dick and making things worse.

If you're not the guy who is supposed to be helping, you're being a dick for no reason.

Don't be a dick man.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

larchesdanrew posted:

Bullshit CE/GM crap

Had a feeling it would eventually get this far, despite the GM supposedly not being "buddies" with CE. You know it's bad when another party comes in, specifically points to the CE as the root of the problem, and YOU end up getting hosed for it. Please, for your own sake, once you get a new job just resign immediately and walk the gently caress out. Nobody should ever have to deal with that kind of workplace sabotage.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

If you're the guy who is supposed to be helping, you're being a dick and making things worse.

Can't help with a problem if I don't know what the problem is. If it's an actual non-user error I'll run into it myself pretty fast. Everyone's been told more than once to stop if they get an error message they don't understand instead of clicking yes with the speed of light and then telling me something went wrong. I have enough actually business-critical work to do.

A lot of the people ITT should try being dicks: it works and is healthy. Now if I actually got paid for being part of the support chain, things might be different. Until that time, the onus is going to be on the user to provide at least some info on what's going on so that I can replicate the problem and if (I mean when) it's user error, tell them how to do it right. Because just forwarding what end users try poo poo on my lap would mean being literally the hugest dick in the world to the IT people.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Jerry Cotton posted:

Can't help with a problem if I don't know what the problem is. If it's an actual non-user error I'll run into it myself pretty fast. Everyone's been told more than once to stop if they get an error message they don't understand instead of clicking yes with the speed of light and then telling me something went wrong. I have enough actually business-critical work to do.

A lot of the people ITT should try being dicks: it works and is healthy. Now if I actually got paid for being part of the support chain, things might be different. Until that time, the onus is going to be on the user to provide at least some info on what's going on so that I can replicate the problem and if (I mean when) it's user error, tell them how to do it right. Because just forwarding what end users try poo poo on my lap would mean being literally the hugest dick in the world to the IT people.

Being a dick is a pretty fast way to earn a trip to HR and/or a meeting with your boss. Especially if you work for a MSP since being a dick to the client is a great way to lose a contract.

At least that's my experience here in the states so ymmv but I'm part of the support chain and get paid for it so :shrug:

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 8, 2015

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Most of us work in a professional environment where being a dick to someone with no justification earns you a managerial boot up the rear end. Just because no one has smacked you with a 2x4 yet doesn't mean your method is the better one.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

Being able to very, very politely tell people to go gently caress themselves is probably the best skill I have ever learned, outside of being able to write competently.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

That's what the threads are for. Come bitch here while wearing your game face when dealing with clients/users. Between the forums and the alcohol we manage to get by.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Being able to very, very politely tell people to go gently caress themselves is probably the best skill I have ever learned

This is also immensely rewarding.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

pr0digal posted:

Being a dick is a pretty fast way to earn a trip to HR and/or a meeting with your boss. Especially if you work for a MSP since being a dick to the client is a great way to lose a contract.

At least that's my experience here in the states so ymmv but I'm part of the support chain and get paid for it so :shrug:

Luckily I don't work for an MSP but anyway, customers are easy, and when there's a problem they call me and give me all the details because they're not dumb-asses. Oh and in case anyone is wondering why I even take part in the support process at all: first of all it gives me access to stuff that makes my own job a lot easier, secondly if I didn't, one of the sales people would be designated to do it, and then we would close down in a few months because they don't understand poo poo about the system (they made an impression on the EDI support guys last summer when I was on holiday because, despite being told that e-mail and EDI are not the same thing, they kept sending "E_MAIL EDI ODER NOT CUMING THORGH WE NO GET ORDR ENTRIRE WEAK HELP SOS" messages despite EDI working just fine. I forget what the actual problem was). Changing requirements and continuous development (not to mention expanding to new countries with different/conflicting requirements) mean something always breaks at some point but I usually catch that poo poo before it affects us too much.

Also it's probably a cultural thing as well. Have you heard of Linus Torvalds?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Raerlynn posted:

with no justification

:downs: "Why hasn't this been fixed yet?"
:greencube: "Why hasn't what been fixed yet?"
:downs: "Uhh."
:greencube: "Yeah."
:downs: "OK."

Is usually how it goes.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Being able to very, very politely tell people to go gently caress themselves is probably the best skill I have ever learned, outside of being able to write competently.

But that's rude.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Jerry Cotton posted:

Luckily I don't work for an MSP but anyway, customers are easy, and when there's a problem they call me and give me all the details because they're not dumb-asses. Oh and in case anyone is wondering why I even take part in the support process at all: first of all it gives me access to stuff that makes my own job a lot easier, secondly if I didn't, one of the sales people would be designated to do it, and then we would close down in a few months because they don't understand poo poo about the system (they made an impression on the EDI support guys last summer when I was on holiday because, despite being told that e-mail and EDI are not the same thing, they kept sending "E_MAIL EDI ODER NOT CUMING THORGH WE NO GET ORDR ENTRIRE WEAK HELP SOS" messages despite EDI working just fine. I forget what the actual problem was). Changing requirements and continuous development (not to mention expanding to new countries with different/conflicting requirements) mean something always breaks at some point but I usually catch that poo poo before it affects us too much.

Also it's probably a cultural thing as well. Have you heard of Linus Torvalds?

Is he that character in Peanuts?

I'm not a developer so there's probably a disconnect here, but I know our internal developer makes people cry.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 8, 2015

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

pr0digal posted:

Is he that character in Peanuts?

Well! Here comes ol' Linus Torvalds! Good ol' Linus Torvalds....Yes, sir! Good ol' Linus Torvalds... How I hate him!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

pr0digal posted:

I'm not a developer so there's probably a disconnect here, but I know our internal developer makes people cry.

Yeah I don't tell people off I just disregard most of what they say. I did curse a lot at my first boss's boss when we started out but then he got demoted so I didn't have to anymore.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 8, 2015

• Locked thread