Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

zen death robot posted:

So when was the last time a major party couldn't get its poo poo together to pick a position like speaker of the house?

It took nine ballots in 1923.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
OH!

Kevin McCarthy isn't someone we truuuuuuuuust!

OH!

These liberals keeping us all on our tooooooeeeees!

OH!

Let's show all these moderates just what they're up against!

OH!

Southern MOTHERFUCKING Tortilla Coast Republicans!

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I don't think it's just tactics. I think the Tea and Tortilla people reject compromise on both tactical and ideological grounds. And the establishment people disagree on that.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

zen death robot posted:

So when was the last time a major party couldn't get its poo poo together to pick a position like speaker of the house?

1923 took 9 ballots, 1855 took 133.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bob Ojeda posted:

I don't think it's just tactics. I think the Tea and Tortilla people reject compromise on both tactical and ideological grounds. And the establishment people disagree on that.

They absolutely do. I was listening to an NPR interview with an out going senator, I think it was Dan Coats, where he said that the Tea Party cannot find a path to yes. There's no horse trading, no concessions you can make to get them to hold their nose and vote yes, they simply cannot be negotiated with.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I was sitting in the base ID office getting a new CAC card when this popped up on CNN, and I nearly flipped my poo poo. I literally said "Holy poo poo, McCarthy is dropping out of the Speaker race?! This isn't good." and a dude in the waiting room heard me, and locked eyes with me with a "I feel ya, brother" look on his face.

This is going to be...uhhhhgg, I don't want to think about it. :negative:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

quote:

Rep. Tom Rooney, R-Fla., said the meeting opened, Republicans said the Pledge and then McCarthy stood up and took himself out of the race. The prohibitive favorite said he didn't want members to take arrows for voting for him and that he was taking himself out of contention.

Speaker Boehner then immediately moved to adjourn the meeting. Rooney said there was "total shock" and some members were audibly crying.
Rep. Charlie Dent, R-Pa., said Ryan was probably the only lawmaker who could get the necessary 218 votes in the caucus. Ryan, however, has already issued a statement that he won't run.

Dent, one of the few remaining moderate Republicans in the House and a close ally of Boehner, said lawmakers might need to form a coalition with Democrats to find a consensus speaker.

Republicans are divided and "anyone with eyes can see it," Dent said, adding that he didn't believe Boehner would leave until a new speaker is elected and so he "might be here a while."

Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, R-Calif., said Republicans may need a "caretaker speaker" or someone who will be speaker until new elections can be held in January 2017. They'd have to be a senior member who would not run for a full term though.
http://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolitics/2015/10/08/446889538/mccarthy-drops-out-of-speaker-race-throwing-gop-leadership-into-chaos

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I'm glad "Dick Cheney to endorse Kevin McCarthy" is the #3 story on Politico while this poo poo is blowing up.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

God help me, I love this. I love it so.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
If we're stooping to people not actually in Congress I'll throw Eric Cantor's name into the ring.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

gently caress you beat me to it - where did we get this crop of politicians who loving cry.

THERE'S NO CRYING IN INSIDE BASEBALL

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
No Exit II: Hell is Other Republicans

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Was John? This is important.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

evilweasel posted:

No, the mainstream GOP is pretty into the idea of shredding the Federal Government and they're much more in line with the Tea Party than the Democrats. They're just aware shutdowns don't get them where they want to be, and that default is a problem even for them. If they thought shutdowns would work, they'd be all for them. It's just they recognize they don't, not a moral aversion to shutdowns.

I have to disagree, for the most part the mainstream GOP talks about shredding the federal government only as a way to sell their pro-business agenda. The tea party morons are actually motivated by that idea.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

QuoProQuid posted:

Boehner is trapped in hell.

He is never going to be able to resign.

The pope works fast.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Was John? This is important.

I think he visibly cries more than audibly cries. Tears but no actual sobbing.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Jarmak posted:

I have to disagree, for the most part the mainstream GOP talks about shredding the federal government only as a way to sell their pro-business agenda. The tea party morons are actually motivated by that idea.

And defunding government organizations that monitor business is not beneficial to people who are stakeholders with said businesses?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Just saw the news. Oh man this is so so bad. Boehner and McCarthy were both bad news but whoever emerges to fill that gap is going to be so much worse.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Calling it now, they're going to all beg, absolutely beg Paul Ryan to run even though he's said he won't. He's the only one who could get those votes.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

pathetic little tramp posted:

THERE'S NO CRYING IN INSIDE BASEBALL

Next thread title please.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Calling it now, they're going to all beg, absolutely beg Paul Ryan to run even though he's said he won't. He's the only one who could get those votes.

He has already refused: http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/paul-ryan-mccarthy-out-speaker

quote:

"Kevin McCarthy is the best person to lead the House, and so I'm disappointed in this decision. Now it is important that we, as a Conference, take time to deliberate and seek new candidates for the speakership," he said in a statement. "While I am grateful for the encouragement I've received, I will not be a candidate. I continue to believe I can best serve the country and this conference as Chairman of the Ways and Means Committee."

Which makes sense as he doesn't want to deal with that poo poo and he probably still wants to be President and there's no way this would help.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

This is the weirdest Lovecraft short story I've ever read.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Paul Ryan wants to be President, not chained to this pile of poo poo problem.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

evilweasel posted:

He has already refused: http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/paul-ryan-mccarthy-out-speaker

Which makes sense as he doesn't want to deal with that poo poo and he probably still wants to be President and there's no way this would help.

But he's the only one left on this book cover of the next crop of up and coming republicans:

He's not satisfying the tontine, that sonuvabitch. (Seriously though drat that was a quick refusal)

Wabbit
Aug 22, 2002

Have you any figs, Sir?
I want Boehner to be conducting this meeting in a straw hat, hawaiian shirt with a couple plane tickets marked Oct. 31 in the pocket. Then he hears the news, the ciggy drops out of his mouth and he mutters "oh, gently caress".

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

But he's the only one left on this book cover of the next crop of up and coming republicans:

He's not satisfying the tontine, that sonuvabitch. (Seriously though drat that was a quick refusal)

I will never get over the fact that a guy with gray hair was called a "young gun".

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

So Boehner can just do away with the pretense of the Hastert rule now, right? Just start laying all the straight bills on the line now that there is clearly no majority of the majority to be had?

Come on, John.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Speaker of the House Louie Gohmert is all I want for Christmas this year.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fix posted:

So Boehner can just do away with the pretense of the Hastert rule now, right? Just start laying all the straight bills on the line now that there is clearly no majority of the majority to be had?

Come on, John.
a majority of the majority demands...a unicorn

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Boehner has announced he is going to stay until a new speaker is elected. So January 2017 is his new retirement date?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

This was a really great read, thanks for providing the link.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

smg77 posted:

Speaker of the House Louie Gohmert is all I want for Christmas this year.

That would be loving awful for America, Jesus dude.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Man this was REALLY bad timing for Clinton to announce her financial reform plan. No one will pay attention to it.

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/p/briefing/factsheets/2015/10/08/wall-street-work-for-main-street/

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

evilweasel posted:

a majority of the majority demands...a unicorn

I'm not talking about agreeing on lunch.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bob Ojeda posted:

That would be loving awful for America, Jesus dude.

Spoiler: there isn't a good choice for America.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They should just draft Paul Ryan. You can vote for whoever the gently caress you want you don't need their permission. He wants to spend time with his family? Boohoo so do millions of people working the minimum wage. You take this lovely job Paul Ryan.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's the word for the feeling that's the same as the guy who was hootin and hollerin on the bomb as it was dropped in Dr Strangelove?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

zoux posted:

What's the word for the feeling that's the same as the guy who was hootin and hollerin on the bomb as it was dropped in Dr Strangelove?

'yeeaaahhhoooooooooo'

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
Can an inanimate object be elected to speaker? I bet an AR-15 could get 218 votes...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
So is anything about the leadership fight/vote going to show up on CSPAN in the next three hours? Need to know if I should clear my schedule.

• Locked thread