Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/256128-how-john-boehner-could-stay-speaker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Please let this not mean a tea party speaker is the result.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Please let this not mean a tea party speaker is the result.

hail satan

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's Time

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Miltank posted:

Holy poo poo. The radicals might win.

Now imagine a three-day convention, hundreds of failed voting rounds, and the party forced to pick compromise-candidate Mitt Romney.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
At least all this chaos is going to make survivalists feel vindicated.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

RZApublican posted:

Now imagine a three-day convention, hundreds of failed voting rounds, and the party forced to pick compromise-candidate Mitt Romney.
What happens if the House can't actually select a speaker? Does Obama get to institute Full Obamunism and Sharia Law?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WERjL-mpPQ

click and drag on video or wasd

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I feel like there has not been enough "oh my loving GOD" posts for what Carson said about the Holocaust, holy gently caress

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I feel like there has not been enough "oh my loving GOD" posts for what Carson said about the Holocaust, holy gently caress
Was it that they should've rushed the Germans, or something else?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Nessus posted:

What happens if the House can't actually select a speaker? Does Obama get to institute Full Obamunism and Sharia Law?

They keep voting until someone has a majority. Presumably government shuts down at some point.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nessus posted:

Boehner's resignation is not effective until there's a new speaker.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
So...do the people currently running for McCarthy's job as Majority Leader drop out now? Does Scalise just hang up his white hood in shame?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

They keep voting until someone has a majority. Presumably government shuts down at some point.
I'm guessing one of the holdups here is that the Republicans want to elect someone with at least the great majority of the votes being Republicans; a couple of Democrat defectors are fine but they don't want the Speaker to win on the strength of the Obamu-Commu-Nazi Gay Abortion Occupation Forces.

Is that correct? Obviously the Democrats as a bloc would not support someone without concessions, which presumably would be lethal to Republican support for a Speaker, even if they were the most trivial poo poo possible.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

evilweasel posted:

Boehner's resignation is not effective until there's a new speaker.

What if Boehner kills himself?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jewel Repetition posted:

They break out the necronomicon. Death won't save you from the House.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I can only imagine the primary bloodbath that would ensue if the saner Republicans cut a deal with the Democrats

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

I can only imagine the primary bloodbath that would ensue if the saner Republicans cut a deal with the Democrats

On the other hand, there could probably be some sweet lobbyist positions lined up for 30 House reps willing to just straight up "retire" effective next election.

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

Nessus posted:

Was it that they should've rushed the Germans, or something else?

Rush the chambers, they can't gas all of us at once

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Nessus posted:

Boehner pours himself another drink.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Jewel Repetition posted:

:boehner:

:smithicide:

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I really enjoy the phrase "fractious caucus" from that one article.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Jewel Repetition posted:

He'll be shackled to his chair on life support like the Warhammer 40k emperor and doomed to be the eternal Speaker

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

showbiz_liz posted:

Whatever happened to suicide caucus, that was the perfect term

misdirectomy
Feb 19, 2008

showbiz_liz posted:

Sounds painful.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

nachos posted:

At this point it would probably be better to call them the homicide caucus. Or maybe the fratricide caucus.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Shakugan posted:

It's worth noting that medical education has traditionally been extremely focused on rote memorization rather than critical thinking. Someone who is extremely good at memorizing stuff can get (could get?) far in the medical field, but be terrible at critical analysis of facts, math, lack creativity etc.

So rather than being surprised at Carson's ignorance despite his apparent "brilliance", recognize that his brilliance and training thereof is very limited in the first place.

Now I have the mental image of Carson having a debate with House. :v:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

nachos posted:

They backed down from suicide.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

I didn't notice this 'til I saw it in the Trump thread, but holy poo poo the Taiwanese Animators really took things to the next level. I can't believe this is what news is turning into but I think I love it.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
GTA 6: Grand Trump Auto

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Moktaro posted:

Now I have the mental image of Carson having a debate with House. :v:

"It's clear the child has influenza"

"God told me the child has AIDS"

"...are you retarded?"

"God didn't tell me that"

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015
Here's an interview where Carson points out that the problem in Nazi Germany was the lack of guns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvKCIsRgY5M

I've encountered the argument before, and it boggles the mind. After all, from 1939 to 1945, pretty much all German men had guns. Even artillery, planes, tanks, V2s, etc. For some reason though they decided to not point them at the representatives of German tyranny, like policemen, soldiers and so on (i e themselves), but at pretty much everybody else.

Is Carson suggesting that Americans should start shooting policemen and soldiers in case a tyrant gets in charge? Are Mexicans who are about to be deported under the rule of Trump supposed to go down with guns blazing instead of complying? And when is an armed insurrection in which you are supposed to shoot fellow Americans justified?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Ibogaine posted:

And when is an armed insurrection in which you are supposed to shoot fellow Americans justified?

That's always been the specious argument for the second amendment. The argument starts that if the government becomes tyrannical that we need guns to overthrow the government. OK, what does that mean exactly? I means we would have to start murdering police officers and government officials. Yeah, that's not going to fly.

The Real Paddy
Aug 21, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like Boehner isn't the only one crying...

http://m.motherjones.com/politics/2015/10/kevin-mccarthy-bows-out-house-speakers-race

quote:

The House GOP now has a full-blown leadership crisis on its hands. As Republican lawmakers gathered on Thursday to elect a new speaker, John Boehner's presumptive heir for the top spot, Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), unexpectedly bowed out of the race, telling his colleagues he was "not the guy." Boehner—who reportedly joked recently, "I had this terrible nightmare last night that I was trying to get out and I couldn't get out"—was forced to postpone the vote for his successor. Lawmakers who were present for the closed-door meeting reported a scene of"chaos" that included "audible crying."

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

lol they're gonna get stuck with Chaffetz, I'd cry too

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
who's Lincoln Chaffetz??

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I really want to know who was crying.

Is there not one single solitary Republican in Congress who is fed up enough with this insanity to publicly say "the Republican Party is a pile of smoldering rubble and I won't be a part of it anymore"? Surely there'd at least be some jobs and a book deal at the end of it.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

It's like the phantom pain truck ride all over again.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

:catstare:

Watch it on a tablet for the full vr experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
So...remember when "Cruz insiders" said he raised 14 million? Well, Cruz' official numbers are out. 12.2 million. Still pretty good.

Marco Rubio reports a rather unimpressive 6 million. Rubio has 11 million on hand.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 9, 2015

• Locked thread