Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

And More posted:

Someone else had the same issue. Here you go: link

Carbon dioxide posted:

I watched this video about Stone. It is both subtitled and has a BSL translator on-screen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0346nnh

I'll pass this version along, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

You are history's greatest monster.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Fil5000 posted:

Don't listen. Listen and you're dead.

Come on, Minutet in Hell can't be THAT bad.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So thanks to a friend of mine, I started picking up and reading the New Adventures line of novels.

Now I really miss Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CobiWann posted:

So thanks to a friend of mine, I started picking up and reading the New Adventures line of novels.

...Sylvester McCoy?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

...Sylvester McCoy?

New Series Adventures.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Series_Adventures

drat it, there are too many Expanded Universe lines to keep track of!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Don't make me make a section of the OP about books.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CaptainYesterday posted:

Target Novelisations
Almost universally 128 pages long, and mostly written by Terrance Dicks, the Target novelisations were pretty much the only way to relive a story before VHS came along. They are the source of many Doctor Who fan phrases such as 'a pleasant, open face' and 'a strange wheezing, groaning noise'.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

CobiWann posted:

Only Human is really good.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

CaptainYesterday posted:

Well you’re going to have to add sections about Legos and video games, what's one more?

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Only Human is really good.

You're the fourth or fifth person who has said this to me...

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Only Human Nature is really good.

Which book series were we talking about again

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Man, in episode 4 of Planet the Daleks won't stop talking about shaft. But I can dig it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

CobiWann posted:

My "gently caress it, I'm gonna watch random older episodes because I'm on a Who kick right now" rewatches has shifted my opinion on 9 and 10. I'm digging 9 a lot more, and 10 a lot less.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Not for the first time and not for the last, the plot is moved on because someone wants to shag Jo Grant.

MisterBibs posted:

My "gently caress it, I'm gonna watch random older episodes because I'm on a Who kick right now" rewatches has shifted my opinion on 9 and 10. I'm digging 9 a lot more, and 10 a lot less.

Older is, uh, relative.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Man, "The Happiness Patrol" is a Hell of a Thing.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The Happiness Patrol is so, so good.

Psybro
May 12, 2002

MrL_JaKiri posted:

For anyone who's seen Babylon 5, the now departed Richard Biggs (who played Doctor Franklin) was deaf and had to use visual cues to know when to come in with his lines.

The lad who plays Tyssan in Destiny of the Daleks was deaf. I know nobody is going to go and verify this for obvious reasons, but he was.

The_Doctor posted:

Target Novelisations
Almost universally 128 pages long, and mostly written by Terrance Dicks, the Target novelisations were pretty much the only way to relive a story before VHS came along. They are the source of many Doctor Who fan phrases such as 'a pleasant, open face' and 'a strange wheezing, groaning noise'.

In two pages of a meeting with the High Council in The Five Doctors, 'The Master raised an eyebrow.' is used 3 times. Where did the third eyebrow come from???

Psybro fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 8, 2015

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Man, "The Happiness Patrol" is a Hell of a Thing.

Happiness will prevail.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Man, in episode 4 of Planet the Daleks won't stop talking about shaft. But I can dig it.

You drat right.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

TL posted:

Come on, Minutet in Hell can't be THAT bad.

Minuet in Hell is terrible but its the good sort of terrible in that generally its just laughably bad, and that way you can get some enjoyment out of it. Its also salvaged a tiny bit by it being the only appearance of both the Brigadier and the Eighth Doctor in performed Doctor Who which makes it somewhat notable, I guess

Nekromanteia however...

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

IceAgeComing posted:

Nekromanteia however...

I think the worst part about Nekromanteia is that it's literally the plot to The Caves Of Androzani with the character names changed, poorer dialogue, and an attempted rape thrown in.

Minuet In Hell is occasionally kind of fun, in a mostly pathetic way. Charley and a cut-price Buffy being turned into a sex workers being the tip of the iceberg -- though I assume that's all meant to be some sort of shout-out to Twin Peaks.

There's been some equally bad poo poo released by Big Finish since then, but those two were more noticeable, given the sheer quality that was around them at the time.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

You drat right.

Shaft jokes aside, The Planet of the Daleks is really incredibly mediocre. I'm not going to go full out and say it's actually abysmal, but this is the daleks at their least threatening.

So what have we got?

• An early example of "more = more scary", what with the army of 10,000 daleks. This is sort of forgiveable given the lead in from Frontier in Space (which I watched recently, but not immediately before) but still feels gratuitous and piggybacking on a much better story is not exactly a plus point.
  • The Spiridons, who are invisible, are given massive fur coats so you can see them. Why massive fur coats? So that the Doctor and one of the thals can pretend to be Spiridons by hiding in a pair.
  • This plan of course fails pretty much immediately, but they get away with it because the dalek that notices shouts in panic about them not being Spiridons rather than, eg, telling them not to move or just shooting them. This gives the Doctor and the thal enough time to defeat the dalek by throwing the big furry coat over it.
  • Two Daleks are earlier defeated by pushing them into a lake so they will get chilly. This is achieved in two stages: first, they cover them in the furry coats (note that this is the Doctor and the thals doing this, not the invisible people) and then push them into the lake. The most danger anyone is in while assaulting these two battle tanks with a coat as your only weapon is that someone gets knocked over by one of the daleks' eye stalks flailing around.
  • It's mentioned that cold kills the daleks (which is why pushing them into the lake worked, it was, uh, a cold lake) and that's why there are big refrigeration units to keep the daleks cool rather than using the "Ice core of the planet" (which is why the lake is very cold) because that will make them too cold and kill them. But using the ice core for cooling is why the daleks are here in the first place, isn't it?
  • The Dalek army is engulfed by the ice volcano which, given the logic of the story and what we've been told, should kill them. But it doesn't, it just buries them in ice and they have to be dug out according to the Dalek giving the "Daleks are actually great buy some Dalek merchandise" speech at that end.

And that's just the last two episodes.

While the forums were down I also watched The Nightmare of Eden which is notable only to me as one of the Target books my local library had so whenever I see it I get a wave of nostalgia before the feelings of "this is a bit pants" set in.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Oct 9, 2015

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Two episodes into Planet of Evil and I have to say the standout performer is the denim outfit Lis Sladen is wearing in this story. Whoa.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I just spotted DoctorWhat and The Coat at NYCC.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

HD DAD posted:

Did you give him a big hug, as he deserves?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Shaft jokes aside, The Planet of the Daleks is really incredibly mediocre. I'm not going to go full out and say it's actually abysmal, but this is the daleks at their least threatening.

So what have we got?

• An early example of "more = more scary", what with the army of 10,000 daleks. This is sort of forgiveable given the lead in from Frontier in Space (which I watched recently, but not immediately before) but still feels gratuitous and piggybacking on a much better story is not exactly a plus point.
  • The Spiridons, who are invisible, are given massive fur coats so you can see them. Why massive fur coats? So that the Doctor and one of the thals can pretend to be Spiridons by hiding in a pair.
  • This plan of course fails pretty much immediately, but they get away with it because the dalek that notices shouts in panic about them not being Spiridons rather than, eg, telling them not to move or just shooting them. This gives the Doctor and the thal enough time to defeat the dalek by throwing the big furry coat over it.
  • Two Daleks are earlier defeated by pushing them into a lake so they will get chilly. This is achieved in two stages: first, they cover them in the furry coats (note that this is the Doctor and the thals doing this, not the invisible people) and then push them into the lake. The most danger anyone is in while assaulting these two battle tanks with a coat as your only weapon is that someone gets knocked over by one of the daleks' eye stalks flailing around.
  • It's mentioned that cold kills the daleks (which is why pushing them into the lake worked, it was, uh, a cold lake) and that's why there are big refrigeration units to keep the daleks cool rather than using the "Ice core of the planet" (which is why the lake is very cold) because that will make them too cold and kill them. But using the ice core for cooling is why the daleks are here in the first place, isn't it?
  • The Dalek army is engulfed by the ice volcano which, given the logic of the story and what we've been told, should kill them. But it doesn't, it just buries them in ice and they have to be dug out according to the Dalek giving the "Daleks are actually great buy some Dalek merchandise" speech at that end.

And that's just the last two episodes.

While the forums were down I also watched The Nightmare of Eden which is notable only to me as one of the Target books my local library had so whenever I see it I get a wave of nostalgia before the feelings of "this is a bit pants" set in.

Yeah but that ep 1 cliff hanger is classic. "What's this we've found on the Planet of the Daleks? gently caress me it's a Dalek!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
While all of "The Three Doctors" is great, I think my new favourite line is, "Are you sure that you and he are of the same intelligence?"

Honestly, Omega getting progressively more pissed off at the Doctors' antics is brilliant.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
The thing I enjoyed most with Jon Pertwee's Doctor is the Gummidge face he pulls when a Sea Devil is mind raying him.

(jk, pertwee is one of my faves)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CobiWann posted:

Are BBC America's numbers taken into account in any capacity?

I imagine they are to a certain extent, as BBC America began contributing part of the funding for the show this season.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I'm going to a pub with Samuel Anderson and some other NYCC attendees in a couple of hours.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

HD DAD posted:

You should have said something! I'll be at the Playwright Irish Pub tonight and at 11 am tomorrow i'll be in room 1E02 for the DW fan meetup.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm going to a pub with Samuel Anderson and some other NYCC attendees in a couple of hours.

How did you swing that? Lovingly stroke Sam's thigh for me, ta.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Oh hey. They're putting out audio commentary tracks for Enemy Of The World and The Web Of Fear.

I really love the audio commentaries, they make buying the classic stuff on DVD worth it. I shall have to grab these when they come out!

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Kikka posted:

The thing I enjoyed most with Jon Pertwee's Doctor is the Gummidge face he pulls when a Sea Devil is mind raying him.

(jk, pertwee is one of my faves)

More so than him shifting dimensions in Inferno?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

DoctorWhat posted:

You should have said something! I'll be at the Playwright Irish Pub tonight and at 11 am tomorrow i'll be in room 1E02 for the DW fan meetup.

I wanted to! But you were way across the room and I didn't want to be rude to my girlfriend's friends we were hanging with. I'll be there tomorrow!

Sam Anderson is rocking quite the beard now.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

HD DAD posted:

I wanted to! But you were way across the room and I didn't want to be rude to my girlfriend's friends we were hanging with. I'll be there tomorrow!

Sam Anderson is rocking quite the beard now.

See you then!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Somebody make sure to get pics of DW, he promised me he would get a perm this year!

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

DoctorWhat posted:

How did you get that to happen?

I'm totally not asking so I can try to buy Paul McGann a beer during LIWho.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
So there's a channel on antenna here in DC, RetroTV, and they've been running the old series in order, skipping incomplete episodes and/or the animated recons. They show two parts per night, and it's amazing. Getting to do Troughton/Pertwee where you wait a night to finish the story is the only way to live. And last night was the end of The Dæmons, which I'd somehow never watched.

Guys. Everyone stop what you're doing and go watch that story. The Master was born to be a Satanic priest, a twenty foot demon is oddly well handled, and CHAP WITH THE WINGS? FIVE ROUNDS RAPID.

Also Benton punching everyone and getting seduced by a white witch. And also missing the end of the world because he and Yates were watching the rugby. Just like real life, Doctor Who comes in second to the sweet chariot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Somebody make sure to get pics of DW, he promised me he would get a perm this year!

I bailed like a motherfucker on that and the pub was so crowded and loud my autismal rear end nearly freaked out totally.

• Locked thread