Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

The Season 5 finale is usually what works for me. When the Smoking Man torches Mulder's office it feels like a death in the family, although I know it was done to facilitate the move to LA.

One Son works too, though, although there's still a decent load of poo poo to get through.

Season 6 has some good MOTWs of too, so it's not too big a deal to get through. I also quite like the first X-Files movie, though I guess not everybody does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the old box set before the new movie had the old one.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

sticklefifer posted:

Does it include the movies?

I'm not sure, but you can get both movies for $10:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-X-Files-Fight-the-Future-and-I-Want-to-Believe-Blu-ray/57476/

e: have a better look at the box art:

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 6, 2015

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

The Hollywood Reporter posted:

Cynical industry journalists turned into gawking fanboys at the MIPCOM television trade fair on Tuesday night when Fox screened — in its world premiere — the first episode of the hotly anticipated return of The X-Files.

X-Files creator Chris Carter attended the launch, held in Cannes, France, and said that returning to the show, which went off the air in 2002, felt “surreal.” He added that it was “a dream come true” to bring back FBI agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully, played by original stars David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson.

The audience packed into Cannes' Grand Auditorium broke out in spontaneous applause multiple times — including when Duchovny and Anderson first appeared — and the crowd whooped and cheered as the closing credits rolled. But perhaps the biggest applause came earlier, when the opening credits — with The X-Files' trademark intro music — hit the screen.

In a treat for X-Files' traditionalists, Carter has kept the series' original opening credits exactly as they were when the show first aired back in 1993.

“We thought about doing some changes to the original credits, but then it seemed like like sacrilege,” said Carter. “Those credits were on 202 episodes. They belong on these next six.”

:allears:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Good.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

RIP weird falling Mulder face. I hope they just forget everything post-2000.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ginette Reno posted:

I also quite like the first X-Files movie, though I guess not everybody does.

It has its moments. The best part is the scene with John Neville and Mulder in the limo; both of them absolutely kill it there.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Fight the Future is pretty cool. I first saw it only having seen a couple of MoW episodes of the show and it's amazing how well it works both stand-alone and the finale to season 5 (or the series).

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
My favorite part of Fight the Future in the theater was when they almost kissed and a fangirl in the audience literally screamed.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

sticklefifer posted:

My favorite part of Fight the Future in the theater was when they almost kissed and a fangirl in the audience literally screamed.

that was me

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
According to Wikipedia, the first movie made money, so it must have been decently popular by itself, but it must be pretty unique as a theatrical film that requires audiences to have some knowledge of a TV series.

Of course, I may be underestimating how popular The X-Files was when it was on - I'm too young to have followed it when it was new.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

At the time X-Files was exceedingly popular. It was kind of the only show of its type, it was so much more well-produced than other sci-fi shows like TNG, and with the burgeoning internet it had a huge dedicated fanbase. I remember seeing the first movie in the theater and it was pretty packed.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Of course, I may be underestimating how popular The X-Files was when it was on - I'm too young to have followed it when it was new.

In season 5, X- files averaged 20 million viewers per episode. Those are Big Bang Theory/NCIS numbers.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Fight the Future turned aliens into a childhood fear for me, so yeah, it's pretty good.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Wheat Loaf posted:

According to Wikipedia, the first movie made money, so it must have been decently popular by itself, but it must be pretty unique as a theatrical film that requires audiences to have some knowledge of a TV series.

When FtF came out I went to see it with a friend who had never really followed the show, but he wanted to see the movie purely because of how many people were talking about it.

He understood nothing that happened in it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Hell I must've seen that movie like 4 times and I don't remember anything about the plot except Martin Landau, bees, and some arctic spaceship. I love X-Files but I do not think that's a great film.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
The first movie is basically a long, pretty good arc episode. The second movie is basically a long, pretty bad MOTW episode.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I remember when they filmed the second movie, they released false spoilers and set photos that made it look like the movie was going to be about a werewolf, and I really wish it had had that storyline instead.

Actually I think that a big proportion of the best X-Files episodes were the comedy ones, and it would have been amazing to have an X-Files movie come out and all the casual moviegoers be completely floored to discover it was a comedy. I remember showing my best friend (who had never seen the show before, just knew of it through pop culture) Jose Chung, Bad Blood, and Hollywood AD and he was really surprised that X-Files wasn't just completely dark and serious.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Absolutely, whenever the show would do something comedic it would be some of the funniest stuff on television for its time. I think it's the episode with the Fiji Mermaid where someone is talking to Scully about Mulder and you see him in the distance standing with his foot on something looking like he stepped out of the cover of a romance novel, it kills me just thinking about it.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
All of Darin Morgan's episodes are standout episodes. Hell, even "Somehow, Satan got Behind Me" from Millennium was a really good episode with a lot of gallows humor.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Darin Morgan is a genius. His final episodes push past being interesting meditations on the themes of the show and become genuinely interesting meditations on the nature of existence.

They will teach Jose Chung in schools one day.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I haven't really been keeping up with this new series, but why is it only six episodes? Are they just testing the waters? Do Duchovny/Anderson not wanna commit to more?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Hakkesshu posted:

I haven't really been keeping up with this new series, but why is it only six episodes? Are they just testing the waters? Do Duchovny/Anderson not wanna commit to more?

Doing only six is cheaper, easier to sell to the network, easier to get the cast on board despite their busy schedules, etc. Plus they want to try to keep the quality of the episodes consistently high, something the show frequently struggled with in its original run.

Carter has said they'll never go back to the 20+ episodes/season format; if they do any more of the show after this they will continue to use the miniseries style.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 7, 2015

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The "short fat white Nazi stormtrooper" bit from Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose is one of my favorite jokes of the funnier episodes.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Hakkesshu posted:

Absolutely, whenever the show would do something comedic it would be some of the funniest stuff on television for its time. I think it's the episode with the Fiji Mermaid where someone is talking to Scully about Mulder and you see him in the distance standing with his foot on something looking like he stepped out of the cover of a romance novel, it kills me just thinking about it.

"Can you imagine going through life looking like - like that?"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Hakkesshu posted:

At the time X-Files was exceedingly popular. It was kind of the only show of its type, it was so much more well-produced than other sci-fi shows like TNG, and with the burgeoning internet it had a huge dedicated fanbase. I remember seeing the first movie in the theater and it was pretty packed.

Yeah, what made it a gamechanger was that it was one of the first big mainstream scifi shows that wasn't just for geeks--it was cool for anyone to watch and talk about at the watercooler the next day. It was like Lost, except that show played coy about being scifi for years.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Slate Action posted:

Carter has said they'll never go back to the 20+ episodes/season format; if they do any more of the show after this they will continue to use the miniseries style.

I don't mind eschewing the 20+ episode/season format, but I hope if they do more, they give us 10-12 episode seasons. 6 is just too drat short.

Also, let's ignore the fact that, assuming this revival is a resounding success, the next mini-season is sure to include younger proteges for Mulder & Scully to kick-off a "X-Files The Next Generation" spinoff series that will probably be crap.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Didn't they already kind of try surrogate Mulder and Scully with Robert Patrick and What's-Her-Face in seasons 8-9?

I tuned out near the end of 7 and really didn't start watching again until I heard that the series finale was definitely coming, and it was weird as gently caress to tune in and see two people who weren't Mulder or Scully as the focus points while Scully just kind of mulled around in the background as a support character.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember when they filmed the second movie, they released false spoilers and set photos that made it look like the movie was going to be about a werewolf, and I really wish it had had that storyline instead.
All I remember about the second movie is that it started with Billy Connelly as a paedophile priest having visions and ended with gay Russians doing head-swap operations, and I have absolutely no idea how it got from one to the other.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

So, I'm inviting some folks over for two X-Files viewings/parties later this month. Basically everyone coming has never really seen the show, but are excited because I'm so excited to show it. In theory, I will get at least one person hooked enough to comb through the series before January.

The format is going to be two nights, two episodes a piece. The first night will be mytharc episodes, and I've already settled on Pilot + Deep Throat for those. The second night will be MotW episodes. The first is definitely going to be Beyond the Sea, since it's an excellent episode and also big character development for Scully. I'm not sure what the second one will be, but here are some options:

1) Home: Top candidate right now, simply because it will be the week of Halloween and it just seems like a great, hosed up way to end the evening. I don't see any cons to showing this.
2) Paper Hearts: Another good one, fits as a Mulder development episode to compliment Beyond the Sea. The big con is that it's a later series episode, and I think a lot of the weight of the episode comes from fully understanding Mulder's obsessiveness with his sister, which doesn't come through fully in just Pilot/Deep Throat.
3) One of Darin Morgan's episodes, either Bruckman or Chung. I would feel bad about not showing a Darin episode, but I'm also not sure if they would be good intro-to-X-Files episodes, since they are brilliant but also break the mold a bit. Same thought process for Prometheus.
4) Drive, just because it's awesome. Biggest con is there's not much Scully.

Any other suggestions? What would you show to folks to introduce them to the show?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Honestly, you could just stick with season 1 and show them Squeeze. If I was introducing the show to someone (and I have before) I would just show them the first three episodes in order, and maybe also Conduit since it explain's Mulder's whole deal so well.

If I'm recommending the show to people, I feel like I'm also recommending the process of watching the show evolve over time. So showing them the first couple episodes of the whole show and then a hand-picked one from a later season wouldn't fit into that. But that's just a personal perspective, you should show them whatever you think they would like the most.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 9, 2015

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
First, can I come?

Second, I like Nesei/731 or Tunguska/Terma for mytharc eps. You could probably watch the former without too much knowledge of the show and enjoy it.

Lastly, show Bad Blood.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Slate Action posted:

Honestly, you could just stick with season 1 and show them Squeeze. If I was introducing the show to someone (and I have before) I would just show them the first three episodes in order, and maybe also Conduit since it explain's Mulder's whole deal so well.

If I'm recommending the show to people, I feel like I'm also recommending the process of watching the show evolve over time. So showing them the first couple episodes of the whole show and then a hand-picked one from a later season wouldn't fit into that. But that's just a personal perspective, you should show them whatever you think they would like the most.

I hadn't thought about Squeeze. It's creepy enough to be great for Halloween week. I'll go back and watch it again and see how it feels for this.

Gravitee posted:

First, can I come?

Second, I like Nesei/731 or Tunguska/Terma for mytharc eps. You could probably watch the former without too much knowledge of the show and enjoy it.

Lastly, show Bad Blood.

Yea, I'd love to show the Anasazi/Blessing Way/Paper Clip arc, too, but that's just way too steeped in the mytharc by that point.

X-Cops was another serious consideration. :c00l:

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
I feel like showing Paper Hearts or Bad Blood would be a disservice to folks who are just being introduced to the series. Both are obviously exceptional episodes, but both also rely on being very familiar with the journey that Mulder has taken (Hearts) or the chemistry between the leading pair (Bad Blood).

Die Hand der Verlezt is my straight up horror episode of choice. I also think DPO is an extremely underrated episode that would serve as great paranormal MotW offering.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

68k posted:

Any other suggestions? What would you show to folks to introduce them to the show?

Pusher is one of my favorites of the whole series.

For mytharc, I always liked the Anasazi/The Blessing Way/Paper Clip trilogy, mainly due to Skinner finally standing up to Cancer Man.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

If you can fit in a random comedy episode, consider Bad Blood.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

sticklefifer posted:

Pusher is one of my favorites of the whole series.

This is a good answer too.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

This Spender guy is a real piece of work.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Astroman posted:

Yeah, what made it a gamechanger was that it was one of the first big mainstream scifi shows that wasn't just for geeks--it was cool for anyone to watch and talk about at the watercooler the next day. It was like Lost, except that show played coy about being scifi for years.

Yeah I remember my grandpa loved season 1 of lost because it was like a survival show to him, the bunker antics didn't really interest him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

68k posted:

Another vote for Pilot, Deep Throat, Squeeze, Beyond the Sea.

Hmm... The Host is another really good, early MOTW too.

Feedbacker fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 10, 2015

• Locked thread