Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I've seen Excalibur open at weirdly "peak" hours while other, smaller servers like Brynhildr were closed.

So I have no idea what's going on there.

I got lucky by making a character right when the game went down for maintenance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage

Sentient Data posted:

Oh, and one last note for you or anyone else doing melding - the carbonized matter you need must match the grade of the materia or higher. Grade 3 is almost always about a quarter of the price of grade 1 (occasionally even cheaper than that), so be sure to check the prices for all the options before you buy

God I wish I had known that before pissing away so very very much money on grade 1. Oh well. So now I can add an extra materia onto an item that can normally accept spheres (not fancy drop items from dungeons) but at only a 40% chance. Is there any way to get this chance higher? I'm not going to sweat it now, but in the future who knows.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

sethimothy posted:

God I wish I had known that before pissing away so very very much money on grade 1. Oh well. So now I can add an extra materia onto an item that can normally accept spheres (not fancy drop items from dungeons) but at only a 40% chance. Is there any way to get this chance higher? I'm not going to sweat it now, but in the future who knows.

Using lower grade materia improves the chance of succeeding, so lovely materia is easier to add than good materia. The chance also lowers exponentially each additional materia you add, so it'd be something like 40% > 20% > 15% > 8% chance to succeed or something. This is how high end crafting and crafted raiding gear become stupid expensive.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Pretty sure something overmelded with all Materia Vs would cost more Gil then currently in the game.

Space Mako
Feb 2, 2013
I was digging through the heavensward textures and I found something interesting that I don't think anyone has ever had a good look at.

This is the globe of Hydaelyn that was used in the King Thordan fight. You don't really get a good glimpse of all the details in the fight, but the texture pretty much outlines the rest of Hydaelyn and I think that's pretty neat!

For reference, Eorzea is in the middle, with Ilsabard north of it and spanning to the Northeast.
Meracydia is the island below Eorzea.
The western continent is the "New World" that Merlwyb discovered and the eastern continent is likely Othard or Thavnair.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

Space Mako posted:

I was digging through the heavensward textures and I found something interesting that I don't think anyone has ever had a good look at.

This is the globe of Hydaelyn that was used in the King Thordan fight. You don't really get a good glimpse of all the details in the fight, but the texture pretty much outlines the rest of Hydaelyn and I think that's pretty neat!

For reference, Eorzea is in the middle, with Ilsabard north of it and spanning to the Northeast.
Meracydia is the island below Eorzea.
The western continent is the "New World" that Merlwyb discovered and the eastern continent is likely Othard or Thavnair.

That is a really neato picture. I've always kinda wondered the placement of things.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Space Mako posted:

This is the globe of Hydaelyn that was used in the King Thordan fight.
The what? I missed that, does anybody have a screenshot?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

It's in the background during the very last stage of the knight phase, while he's powering up with all the knights just before the screen-shatter effect.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

Boten Anna posted:

I was not able to replicate this, it doesn't seem to be a problem serverside. PM me your email and I can see if an account was created or not, or set one up for you.

I tried it again today and it worked the first time. Not sure what was going on.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Xenoveritas posted:

It's less that there's not enough content, it's more that if you've been playing since launch you've had over two years to complete the content.

In any case, ever wanted to know all about the Draconian language? Because Koji Fox posted an enormous post about it on the Official Forums.

This is really great and detailed but I gotta say the part that really stuck out to me was at the very end:

Koji Fox posted:

There also happens to be one place on the Azys Lla map that features a name in the dragon language. One may ask how this is possible, as it goes completely against the naming conventions used for other locations in the area. Well, the story behind this is that the name is, in fact, an Allagan creation, not something that the dragons themselves coined. At the height of their civilization, the Allagans felt that they had achieved intellectual supremacy over all other beings on Hydaelyn, the mighty dragons included. Even the dragon language, once believed impossible to crack, was fully deciphered by Allagan linguists─or so they claimed. Using the ‘impossible’ language became a fad, and dragonspeak was, for a time, incorporated everywhere from restaurant names to cereal brands.

"Hey guys the boys in linguistics finally cracked that millennia old language spoken by immortal dragons. We need to start rebranding our cereal now, what a chance for more market share!"

Allagans never stop being total dicks about everything.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
A popular tattoo of the ancient Allags, apparently the translation of this mysterious language from beyond the stars is "I am powerful, for I am wise"

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Y'all realize that Allagans are basically us irl right?

It really makes u think.

:420::420::420:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I'm pretty sure we haven't made a power plant fueled by the suffering of an engaged god, connected directly to Hell.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

I'm pretty sure we haven't made a power plant fueled by the suffering of an engaged god, connected directly to Hell.

You know drat well that if we knew how to do such things, someone would totally do that too.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

We ARE making power plants out of resources we suck out of the ground and spew into the atmosphere to get everyone sick as gently caress while cooking our planet and denying its happening then whine about how inconvenient it is to use readily available alternative sources instead of maybe considering the ramifications of those actions though.

You bet your rear end if there were elder gODs that could get super mad and destroy the planet, we'd try to capture them and use them as a fuel source.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Finally something other than garbage fish :toot:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Boten Anna posted:

We ARE making power plants out of resources we suck out of the ground and spew into the atmosphere to get everyone sick as gently caress while cooking our planet and denying its happening then whine about how inconvenient it is to use readily available alternative sources instead of maybe considering the ramifications of those actions though.

You bet your rear end if there were elder gODs that could get super mad and destroy the planet, we'd try to capture them and use them as a fuel source.

I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with capturing Cthulhu and using him as a power source tbh considering he'd just liquify all our brains if we left him alone.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I've seen Excalibur open at weirdly "peak" hours while other, smaller servers like Brynhildr were closed.

So I have no idea what's going on there.

My guess? Excal was locked 24/7 for over 2 months and is full of bitter old vets who all unsubbed until 3.1, while other servers had a ton of new players come in when the expansion hit and are still playing the 50-60 content. :v:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Eej posted:

I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with capturing Cthulhu and using him as a power source tbh considering he'd just liquify all our brains if we left him alone.

Until infrastructure falls out of political favor and is the first thing cut and the lax safety standards cause him to break out and flay all of our minds. And we thought we were so clever with our mglw'nafh burgers and naTsathoggua fries, too.

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Oct 9, 2015

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Eej posted:

This is really excellent logic.

Boten Anna posted:

Until infrastructure falls out of political favor and is the first thing cut and the lax safety standards cause him to break out and flay all of our minds. And we thought we were so clever with our mglw'nafh burgers and naTsathoggua fries, too.

This shows... a complete understanding of America and our miserable politics :negative:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Honestly, why haven't we revived George Washington to lead America again yet?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

Congrats puppy buddy. You can /handover to call him over to you and /pet to rub his belly.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
who wants to feel cozy af

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-9WEwgevEg

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Mr. Nice! posted:

Congrats puppy buddy. You can /handover to call him over to you and /pet to rub his belly.

Holy poo poo, is /handover actually a thing? I'd heard about /pet but this sounds awesome.

Even better since I'm super bored with my fat cat and just /throw at it while I'm stuck in queue.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Boten Anna posted:

Deregulation is a bitch.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Finally got Ravana Ex done tonight. It only took 2 tries! It's actually a really fun fight.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

seiferguy posted:

Finally got Ravana Ex done tonight. It only took 2 tries! It's actually a really fun fight.

Got Shiva tonight. Went with pubs, and I literally know no more about the fight now than before, but that music was awesome.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Basically, stack on her rear end and avoid moving away from there unless you need to do positionals. Most of her moves either need to hit only the tank, hit the entire party to spread damage or miss the entire party, because they're practically OHKO.

When the big circles in the ground come up, go stand in the last one that spawsn, then once the first one blows up go stand there.

People will call in b, out c, in behind etc, they're positions. A, B and C will usually be at 9 o'clock, 6 o'clock, and 3 o'clock with another spot at 12 o'clock that isn't marked and is typically where the tank runs when the aoes spawn. Each spot has 2 positions, one closer to shiva, one further away.

Once the ground freezes, stop moving. No really, stop. STOP loving MOVING AFTER SHE FREEZES THE FLOOR FOR FUCKS SAKE *3 dps move, get stuck in ice blocks and die*

Creeping Chaos
Nov 15, 2012
Anyone else lagging like crazy? I get disconnected repeatedly, and when I don't disconnect everything happens only after several several seconds.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

Congrats! I just got mine this morning.

I've also gotten two Fat Cats. Selling the second one felt good. :homebrew:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Ignimbrite posted:

Basically, stack on her rear end and avoid moving away from there unless you need to do positionals. Most of her moves either need to hit only the tank, hit the entire party to spread damage or miss the entire party, because they're practically OHKO.

When the big circles in the ground come up, go stand in the last one that spawsn, then once the first one blows up go stand there.

People will call in b, out c, in behind etc, they're positions. A, B and C will usually be at 9 o'clock, 6 o'clock, and 3 o'clock with another spot at 12 o'clock that isn't marked and is typically where the tank runs when the aoes spawn. Each spot has 2 positions, one closer to shiva, one further away.

Once the ground freezes, stop moving. No really, stop. STOP loving MOVING AFTER SHE FREEZES THE FLOOR FOR FUCKS SAKE *3 dps move, get stuck in ice blocks and die*

Thanks, that actually helps a lot, and I kinda understand what happened in the fight now.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

seiferguy posted:

I'm jelly

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

seiferguy posted:

This can be said of almost any fight in the game at their relevant apex, provided you have seven other people competent enough to beat it.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Rav EX is honestly one of my favourite fights in the game, alongside a few others like T9, Ultima Weapon Bard Mode, and The Singularity Reactor.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The Singularity Reactor is amazing. I really hope 3.1 has an Extreme version of it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They've hinted pretty strongly at it, and they'd be crazy not to do it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Plus imagine if the weapon drops are the ones the boss uses. :swoon:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'd be willing to bet that the weapons of the Heavens' Ward will be the new relics. 13 knights, 13 classes, 13 zodiac signs.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

seiferguy posted:

Would you happen to be on Balmung? Timing and details makes me think you are someone I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Afros :swoon:
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/blog/001214.html

• Locked thread