Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I'm one of the people that just has never liked the Punisher. Not since first appearance. I've read the Miller run and I just can't stand the guy. I'm a huge Daredevil fan too.

And I agree completely that without the Purple Man you can't tell JJ's story. I slogged through Alias because I really liked JJ but any time Kilgrave was in the scene it took a lot of work to get through. I still think it's a fantastic series though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Punisher will be more of a villain than an antihero in this story I think. I think he works fine as a villain.

But agreed on Purple Man. Hi my super power is rape and I'm gonna say bitch and slut and whore a lot because this is a serious comic for grown ups. This is mature subject matter.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I do agree that if you are an abuse survivor that you should be careful about watching the show. But i bet there are a ton of thinkpieces about portrayals of sexual and psychological abuse in media written with regard to JJ as the show gets closer so hopefully potential viewers will know what's coming.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The rights for The Woods have been picked up for TV. Things like this happen all the time and nothing ever comes of it so it's not really a big deal, but in this case I really like the book and think it would make for a really neat TV show. It starts off with an entire school being transported to another galaxy and from there it gets kind of crazy as it goes on but it could definitely work on TV.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/boom-comic-woods-heading-television-830847

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

zoux posted:

I do agree that if you are an abuse survivor that you should be careful about watching the show. But i bet there are a ton of thinkpieces about portrayals of sexual and psychological abuse in media written with regard to JJ as the show gets closer so hopefully potential viewers will know what's coming.

Well, Jessica herself also confronts all of that poo poo and comes out a better person. So it's not like she's going to be treated as a sensitive flower who is saved by a man.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

Well, Jessica herself also confronts all of that poo poo and comes out a better person. So it's not like she's going to be treated as a sensitive flower who is saved by a man.

Oh absolutely, but the mind rape stuff is pretty uncomfortable no matter where the story ends up.

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

It's supposed to be hosed up. Purple Man is a petty self-involved rapist who takes the agency away from his victims in order to titillate his ego. A side-effect of having a character like that is that there may be rape/trauma survivors who find his actions to be overwhelmingly distressing.

I thought the Wilson Fisk's father abusing him in the flashback sequences was rather horrific, but it was in service to the plot and seemed like it was handled appropriately and honestly. I'd hope that the showrunners have a similar approach to Killgrave's actions and role in the story.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really hope that they take some stuff from Nacinti's run, such as Typhoid Mary in future DD episodes. If only because that was the first DD I ever read and it really stuck with me, plus I honestly think its as good as Miller's run but gets massively overlooked.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

greatn posted:

But agreed on Purple Man. Hi my super power is rape and I'm gonna say bitch and slut and whore a lot because this is a serious comic for grown ups. This is mature subject matter.

Purple man was a fun villain before Bendis turned him into Rape Man. It's not quite as ridiculous as what happened to Dr. Light over at DC, but you can't really ever tell a story about Purple Man where he isn't a horrifying monster ever again.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
He was basically just a bank robber, go in, ask for money, walk out, make the cops and citizens fight Daredevil or Spider-Man while he tried to escape, and get caught.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah, like I said, fun.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
You know I don't think he ever even killed anybody before Bendis mature ratings him into making a restaurant stop breathing.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
So he was Jesse Custer from Preacher before he got MAXed?

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Lurdiak posted:

Purple man was a fun villain before Bendis turned him into Rape Man. It's not quite as ridiculous as what happened to Dr. Light over at DC, but you can't really ever tell a story about Purple Man where he isn't a horrifying monster ever again.

Bendis didn't invent that aspect of him, he forced a woman to be his wife and had a daughter because of that long before Alias.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
What ever happened to the Purple Girl, anyway? All I remember is she did the same thing except it turned people purple too, and that she had endearingly ridiculous late 80s fashion stylings like something out of Mannequin.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sentinel Red posted:

What ever happened to the Purple Girl, anyway? All I remember is she did the same thing except it turned people purple too, and that she had endearingly ridiculous late 80s fashion stylings like something out of Mannequin.
She was in the most recent Alpha Flight run as a pawn of the super-conservative evil government guys. They used her power to make Northstar's husband into a 'deprogrammed' homophobe.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Barry Convex posted:

Why is there a sign *in the window* saying it's on the fifth floor, though?

Sorry if this has been answered already, but it's not uncommon for non-ground-level businesses to put little signs like that in their windows, so that people on the street see that there are, in fact, walk-in businesses on the upper levels of a building. I'll post some pictures if I see any walking around.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

The rights for The Woods have been picked up for TV. Things like this happen all the time and nothing ever comes of it so it's not really a big deal, but in this case I really like the book and think it would make for a really neat TV show. It starts off with an entire school being transported to another galaxy and from there it gets kind of crazy as it goes on but it could definitely work on TV.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/boom-comic-woods-heading-television-830847

This is a killer tv concept and I really hope it makes it to series.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

She was in the most recent Alpha Flight run as a pawn of the super-conservative evil government guys. They used her power to make Northstar's husband into a 'deprogrammed' homophobe.

I thought that was aliens.

Zythrst posted:

Bendis didn't invent that aspect of him, he forced a woman to be his wife and had a daughter because of that long before Alias.

I guess I thankfully missed that story.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Lurdiak posted:

I guess I thankfully missed that story.

It was a few panel flashback in Alpha Flight #41 so pretty easy to miss.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Zythrst posted:

It was a few panel flashback in Alpha Flight #41 so pretty easy to miss.

Suddenly an obvious culprit rears his ugly head.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Suddenly an obvious culprit rears his ugly head.

Actually no, it was Bill Mantlo.

Lurdiak posted:

Again, nope. The Master of the World had Kara Kilgrave and Vindicator, among others, working for him.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

quote:

"Look, I know how important this character is to you guys, I know that," said Bernthal. "I know how important Punisher is to law enforcement and the military, I look at this as a huge honor and responsibility, I give you my absolute word that I will give everything I have."

ughhhh

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
And here I was being excited

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Is this where I post an overreaction to an actor's statement about the military?

Edit: They are showing the whole first episode of Jessica Jones right now apparently.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 10, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think it's both creepy and weird for people in law enforcement to admire a vigilante murderer character, and it's even creepier for anyone involved in the creative process of that character to reciprocate. The military aspect is slightly less creepy, but considering how that stupid logo has become associated with right wing hero and child murderer Chris Kyle, it's not something I'm too happy seeing an actor acknowledge at all.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Punisher is always a character than can very uncomfortably come close to being a weird/horrible right wing fantasy. I hope the writers are smart enough to portray him in a way that is sensible and responsible, especially since they had no problem portraying the NYPD as being filled with dirty cops.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Lurdiak posted:

I think it's both creepy and weird for people in law enforcement to admire a vigilante murderer character, and it's even creepier for anyone involved in the creative process of that character to reciprocate.

case in point

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There's a reason Dirty Harry 2 was about him killing a bunch of dirty vigilante cops.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Carrie-Anne Moss' Jessica Jones character revealed as a female version of Jeryn_Hogarth, the guy who ran the business end of Heroes for Hire

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Bryan Cranston also said in the interviews that he was on Walter White's side, it is a good thing when actor goes into his character.

Punisher is a hero to cops and soldiers, but you shouldn't blame comics or movies for it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

fatherboxx posted:

Bryan Cranston also said in the interviews that he was on Walter White's side, it is a good thing when actor goes into his character.

Punisher is a hero to cops and soldiers, but you shouldn't blame comics or movies for it.

Did Bryan Cranston say he understood how important his character was to drug dealers and assured them that he was going to do his best to do them justice?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

http://comicbook.com/2015/10/10/jessica-jones-carrie-anne-moss-gender-swap-role-revealed-iron-fi/

Carrie-Anne Moss' role is a gender swapped version of Jeryn Hogarth (of Iron Fist fame).

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Did Bryan Cranston say he understood how important his character was to drug dealers and assured them that he was going to do his best to do them justice?

No, because Walter White considered himself morally superior to other drug manufacturers. Misguided unconditional respect to the law enforcement and military is the crucial part of The Punisher.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

fatherboxx posted:

No, because Walter White considered himself morally superior to other drug manufacturers. Misguided unconditional respect to the law enforcement and military is the crucial part of The Punisher.

Yeah, Walter was always super offended over being called a drug dealer, and not a producer.

Tangent but it was pretty funny how every actor on Breaking Bad had identical views with their characters regarding Walt, with Bryan Cranston rooting for him till the very end like mentioned earlier and Dean Norris and Jonathan Banks absolutely hating him to impressive levels.

mycot fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 11, 2015

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Here's a leak of the Daredevil Season 2 Trailer

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Is it me or does that just look like a lot of footage from season 1? And I am disappointed that the Punisher is the only new character announced for the series.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Uh... You missed Elektra? Or did you somehow know about her and miss the casting announcement for Castle?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Rich Johnston is continuing on his quest to portray Feige as a fascist tyrant and is claiming that Marvel Studios is interfering with Iron Fist and it might get cancelled just like Inhumans (which isn't cancelled) to spite poor victim Ike Perlmutter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

Uh... You missed Elektra? Or did you somehow know about her and miss the casting announcement for Castle?

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some villain they were saving up for the last few episodes so they can team up for the greater good etc