Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, telling some of the most powerfully independent people in the Imperium to get hosed could easily lead to you meeting the pointy end of the sword of plausible deniability.

It's probably a xenotech sword as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Carebearz posted:

You also have to be careful of how powerful their Dark Heresy characters get. My pre-ascension Psyker/Inquisitor would politely tell the RT to gently caress off in such a way that the RT would think they were at fault for wasting my time. Almost all high level DH characters usually don't take poo poo from anyone, they just show their rosette and throw their Inquisitor's name around(at least my groups Arbiter did).

edit: Unless they are like starting DH grunts, which this concept seems awesome as hell.

I think you overlooked the framing narrative of the campaign. The players have Rogue Trader characters. And the other players have Rogue Trader owned infantry who are statted up like an Only War regiment, but are not actually Imperial Guard. And the other players also have Rogue Trader owned quartermasters and clerks who are statted up like a Dark Heresy cell, but are not actually Inquisition.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

goatface posted:

Yeah, telling some of the most powerfully independent people in the Imperium to get hosed could easily lead to you meeting the pointy end of the sword of plausible deniability.

It's probably a xenotech sword as well.
The 'Xenotech sword of plausible deniability' is a great phrase for all the poo poo rogue traders generally get away with.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think it would make an excellent quest goal for an Ordo Xeno acolyte team: Go to planet XYZ and recover the xenotech sword of plausible deniability. No matter the circumstances in which you kill someone with it, nobody will ever believe you responsible. Track the thing down by mapping the spate of unsolvable crimes. Hunt down the wielder by process of excluding all the people who have any sort of excuse. Fight an enemy who can kill your friend in front of you and still have you believe that it could never have been them.

It also makes whoever carries it slowly lose their memory until they no longer have any idea if they did kill all those people in the past, but also makes them certain they can kill whoever without fear of reprisal. But that's just a bonus.

goatface fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 19, 2015

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I thought the Sword Of Plausible Deniability were a merc outfit?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Carebearz posted:

edit: Unless they are like starting DH grunts, which this concept seems awesome as hell.

Exactly, I was thinking more of the schmucks at lower levels who end up being warp bait to stop daemons. The idea being the 2nd groups has two sets of characters. DH characters for times when the Rogue Traders aren't in a big fight, and OW for when they are. That way if the RT group decides to do high level negotiations for their session, the 2nd group isn't stuck on the lower deck simulating playing charts, their DH guys can be doing stuff to trouble shoot for the Rogue Trader team or be doing their own thing in the small micro-chasm of where they are in the vastness of the Imperium. They just better hope they don't miss the ship's departure!

I was also thinking to keep power creep down, the 2nd' groups characters, if they reach a certain level where they get really good or powerful, become NPC's to simulate the captain/RT crew taking notice and promoting the guy. This way if certain characters people like survive long enough they get a kind of permanent enshrinement in the game's "canon" while allowing the 2nd group to continue on their survive the horror merry way.

TheBlandName posted:

I think you overlooked the framing narrative of the campaign. The players have Rogue Trader characters. And the other players have Rogue Trader owned infantry who are statted up like an Only War regiment, but are not actually Imperial Guard. And the other players also have Rogue Trader owned quartermasters and clerks who are statted up like a Dark Heresy cell, but are not actually Inquisition.

Exactly, the idea is the 2nd group are the poor schmoes who have to be the actual boots on the ground when a Rogue Trader team decided to plunder a Necron Tomb, or gallivant across a deadly imperial spire hive spire ball, or plumb the depths of the webway since there were rumors of treasure there.

For example:

Session 1: The Rogue Trader team decides to attack an Imperial Pilgrim transport to get a load of cheap slaves for a mining world they acquired. RT crew fights the space battle, negotiates with the captain and possibly have to do other weird high level things that come up constantly in Rogue Trader.

Session 2: Group 2 is filled on on what happened, they then pick how they approach the scenario:

DH Option: The group are the small administrative group that has to go over and itemize the newly acquired imperial slaves and figure out how to corral them to pens, figure out if there is any taint of chaos and neutralize it, etc. Or they could be infiltrators asigned to ride a poorly made rocket over to the other ship along with dozens of other pods to take out key ports for a Rogue Trader armsman assault

OW Option: A slave riot break out and spills over to both ships. Armed up, the gang and their fellow poor armsmen must put down the slave revolt before the Rogue Trader decides to just vent that section of the ship into space. Or be a part of that armsman assault mentioned in the DH option.

Session 3: Following the outcome of 2nd groups session, either the riot was put down/ and/or the slaves corralled, or new problems emerged and now the situation is bad enough the RT group has to get their hands dirty. Likely knowing their power level and resources, they can wipe it out fairly quickly, but its an annoyance to them. They then go to the mining planet where...

That kind of the rough idea anyways.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Exactly, I was thinking more of the schmucks at lower levels who end up being warp bait to stop daemons. The idea being the 2nd groups has two sets of characters. DH characters for times when the Rogue Traders aren't in a big fight, and OW for when they are. That way if the RT group decides to do high level negotiations for their session, the 2nd group isn't stuck on the lower deck simulating playing charts, their DH guys can be doing stuff to trouble shoot for the Rogue Trader team or be doing their own thing in the small micro-chasm of where they are in the vastness of the Imperium. They just better hope they don't miss the ship's departure!

I was also thinking to keep power creep down, the 2nd' groups characters, if they reach a certain level where they get really good or powerful, become NPC's to simulate the captain/RT crew taking notice and promoting the guy. This way if certain characters people like survive long enough they get a kind of permanent enshrinement in the game's "canon" while allowing the 2nd group to continue on their survive the horror merry way.

Exactly, the idea is the 2nd group are the poor schmoes who have to be the actual boots on the ground when a Rogue Trader team decided to plunder a Necron Tomb, or gallivant across a deadly imperial spire hive spire ball, or plumb the depths of the webway since there were rumors of treasure there.

For example:

Session 1: The Rogue Trader team decides to attack an Imperial Pilgrim transport to get a load of cheap slaves for a mining world they acquired. RT crew fights the space battle, negotiates with the captain and possibly have to do other weird high level things that come up constantly in Rogue Trader.

Session 2: Group 2 is filled on on what happened, they then pick how they approach the scenario:

DH Option: The group are the small administrative group that has to go over and itemize the newly acquired imperial slaves and figure out how to corral them to pens, figure out if there is any taint of chaos and neutralize it, etc. Or they could be infiltrators asigned to ride a poorly made rocket over to the other ship along with dozens of other pods to take out key ports for a Rogue Trader armsman assault

OW Option: A slave riot break out and spills over to both ships. Armed up, the gang and their fellow poor armsmen must put down the slave revolt before the Rogue Trader decides to just vent that section of the ship into space. Or be a part of that armsman assault mentioned in the DH option.

Session 3: Following the outcome of 2nd groups session, either the riot was put down/ and/or the slaves corralled, or new problems emerged and now the situation is bad enough the RT group has to get their hands dirty. Likely knowing their power level and resources, they can wipe it out fairly quickly, but its an annoyance to them. They then go to the mining planet where...

That kind of the rough idea anyways.

I like this idea, or maybe even a second set of players for the DH team, so when they start getting higher level, they can start growing into their own, so to say, and eventually cause political warfare because they are tired of doing all the bitch work for those snooty RT's

radlum
May 13, 2013
I'm planning of introducing one of these games to my tabletop group, which would be the better game to try first?

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Are there any things that would break if you made the system a roll high but under system. So basically you have to roll under your characteristic, but you count DoS in whole tens. Example shoot a dude with an adjusted BS of 50. roll 37, you get 3 DoS. It would also make opposed rolls much easier. If bothe succeed the highest roll wins. Is there anywhere in this it wouldnt work?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

radlum posted:

I'm planning of introducing one of these games to my tabletop group, which would be the better game to try first?

Depends on the game you're wanting to play. OW for very combat focussed stuff, DH2 for investigative and social, BC for batshit insanity on hell-planets.

RT and DW are feeling their age, and need a lot of tweaking to get working right.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

vuk83 posted:

Are there any things that would break if you made the system a roll high but under system. So basically you have to roll under your characteristic, but you count DoS in whole tens. Example shoot a dude with an adjusted BS of 50. roll 37, you get 3 DoS. It would also make opposed rolls much easier. If bothe succeed the highest roll wins. Is there anywhere in this it wouldnt work?
The only edge case you have to worry about is if the TN is over 100. Also keep in mind that the "new" DoS system in place since Black Crusade gives 1 DoS just for succeeding, +1 per ten points (or thereabouts with DH2E) of difference.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
What's the best use for the Black Crusade splat book archetypes? They're such high experience that I worry nothing could challenge them, but I want to run a Night Lords campaign because ADB.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Hiro Protagonist posted:

What's the best use for the Black Crusade splat book archetypes? They're such high experience that I worry nothing could challenge them, but I want to run a Night Lords campaign because ADB.

As with everything it all depends. I have players in my BC game about that level, and I do have trouble finding stuff to challenge them. That said, I've had trouble even when they were low level. Black Crusade in general is a higher level experience, and the Core Book does a poo poo job of helping you get the power level of encounters right.

Even at low level, if the player gets swift/lightning attack, they'll still rip and tear most stuff you throw at em. I'm starting to find the real way to challenge the players is more in how you set up the combat, both the field and the gear. Put your adversaries behind cover, Give that underwhelming marine NPC a power field, and throw in a daemon engine, and things look a little more even sided.

Also, Night Lords are one of the more underwhelming archetypes unless you're going to give them plenty opportunities to be stealth marines. Though the worst archetype by far is the poor Alpha Legion one.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Werix posted:

As with everything it all depends. I have players in my BC game about that level, and I do have trouble finding stuff to challenge them. That said, I've had trouble even when they were low level. Black Crusade in general is a higher level experience, and the Core Book does a poo poo job of helping you get the power level of encounters right.

Even at low level, if the player gets swift/lightning attack, they'll still rip and tear most stuff you throw at em. I'm starting to find the real way to challenge the players is more in how you set up the combat, both the field and the gear. Put your adversaries behind cover, Give that underwhelming marine NPC a power field, and throw in a daemon engine, and things look a little more even sided.

Also, Night Lords are one of the more underwhelming archetypes unless you're going to give them plenty opportunities to be stealth marines. Though the worst archetype by far is the poor Alpha Legion one.

Pay attention to how your characters are armed. I noticed in the campaign I ran that no one had a blast/flame weapon. While everyone else fighting to survive, I bogged down the sorcerer with hordes and swarms. Hooray for scarabs!

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution

Werix posted:

Though the worst archetype by far is the poor Alpha Legion one.

I think they thought they were mandated to give them that +30 Deceive (because, y'know Alpha Legion), even though it eats a significant portion of their points budget - just under 2000 if you assume they were built on top of a Chosen base. So all they had left over was just enough for "slightly smarter shoot-marine."

Now, if their special abilities were good, it'd be fine (see: Thousand Sons), but one wants you to have high fellowship (so you can actually have Deceive tests that are much higher than your infamy to acquire favors (but not loot)) while the other basically lets you replace Inquiry (a fellowship skill!) with Scrutiny (Per), but only when it makes sense that you could find a random AL human operative.

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 28, 2015

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I hope this is OK to post in this thread, I can't find a Warhammer Fantasy roleplay thread.

Has anyone tried the FFG version and can give a quick opinion on it? I would like to try it out but the core set is very out of print and I can only find it for several hundred pounds online. Apparently it is due for a reprint but I was just wanting to know a bit more about it while I wait. I have played Edge of the Empire, is it similar to that for dice and skill checks?

The reviews I have seen mention something about cool character path mechanics, can anyone elaborate?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Phrosphor posted:

I hope this is OK to post in this thread, I can't find a Warhammer Fantasy roleplay thread.

Has anyone tried the FFG version and can give a quick opinion on it? I would like to try it out but the core set is very out of print and I can only find it for several hundred pounds online. Apparently it is due for a reprint but I was just wanting to know a bit more about it while I wait. I have played Edge of the Empire, is it similar to that for dice and skill checks?

The reviews I have seen mention something about cool character path mechanics, can anyone elaborate?

There is a thread. One of the reasons it's expensive is that it was expensive new -- it comes with a lot of stuff. I hadn't heard it was due for a reprint, though -- where did you see that? It sounded to me as though FFG was done for now.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

homullus posted:

There is a thread. One of the reasons it's expensive is that it was expensive new -- it comes with a lot of stuff. I hadn't heard it was due for a reprint, though -- where did you see that? It sounded to me as though FFG was done for now.

Ah I didn't look hard enough, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

If you go here: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/warhammer-fantasy-roleplay/

The core set is listed as "At the printer"

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010
Some highlights from the the elite squad of False Light of Octavicus acolytes tonight:

We discover some heretics with large bags of papers that they claim are official paperwork, but I am suspicious. I start setting the large bundles of paper on fire covertly with psychic powers, eventually causing them to flee the scene without spreading their heresy into the PDF (The papers are actually pamphlets talking about the injustice of the PDF draft and how they should all revolt.)

They flee back into the maintenance tunnels and try to sort through the good pamphlets, compared to the burnt/soaked pamphlets. The melee/fanatical characters decide that these heretics need to die, and so we activate a stummer and try to sneak through the tunnel. We are seen immediately, because we're really bad at sneaking.

One of the heretics, a House Guard for the noble-heretics who are spreading this propaganda, moves toward us and asks, "What are you doing down here, who are you?"

Thinking quickly, I smile and walk away from the guy with a stummer and ask in a very cheery voice, "Hello, we are lost in these tunnels. Are those maps?"

The man moves to block my sight to the pile of pamphlets, "No, these are personal correspondences."

"Personal correspondence? I LOVE personal correspondence! Do you want to know why? Because of all the secrets it has!" I say, continuing to walk forward.

"Well this isn't yours, now go away," the guard says, drawing a metal truncheon to try and scare me off.

I draw my chainsword in response, "Are you sure?"

-----------

Later on we find the headquarters of the main heretic and break into his office. They ambush us, but we clear out the first wave and are making our way into the room. Meanwhile the main heretic calmly finishes writing his note, opens up his desk, grabs his plasma pistol from the desk and then closes the desk. All very calm and nonchalant.

So I grab the plasma pistol out of his hand with telekinetic power, and walk forward to meet it halfway, pointing his own pistol back at him, "We want to know how to contact the Rogue Trader."

He sighed, "Then why didn't you just ask, like normal people."

Then he dropped a grenade into the middle of the party, and I managed to roll away. Maxamillian Stern just tanks the damage in the chest, and continues killing heretics. I attack the Heretic Leader and scold him, "No, bad heretic."

Then he stabs me with a stun dagger, and I drop to one knee. He takes his Plasma Pistol and puts it to my head, while Grayson Mcavoy, our fanatical guard chainswordsman puts his chainswords to the man's neck. We have a mexican standoff.

He pulls the trigger - and his plasma pistol overheats.

"The Emperor Protects," were the last words that he heretic heard. And so Daren "Reckless" Andser survives yet another situation where he should have by all rights died a horrible death, through nothing but blind luck and faith in the God Emperor.

Also I stole that pistol.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Do not forget that after the last session, where I could not kill one stormtrooper who then used a bayonet to nearly kill me, this time I kill two heretics and the main heretic who tried to plasma pistol you to death. The dice can be fickle.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

FFG art is so great.

Remember kids, never poke around Necron planets! (unless you are a space marine)

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Where is my C'tan game revival Frajaq?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

frajaq posted:

Remember kids, never poke around Necron planets! (unless you are a space marine)

That ice block really was the perfect size & shape to be pinned to, wasn't it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They carefully selected it and then cut it to shape afterwards. Necrons appreciate a strong design in their warnings, even if they might never be found.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Is that spear meant to be Necron, anyway? I dunno, the aesthetic is wrong to me.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I thought that it was supposed to be his own spear.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
He died in service of the Emperor, the only death one could hope for. :colbert:

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
He's a xeno/archeo-tech smuggler, and the only thing regrettable about his death is it not being at the hands of the Inquisition.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Look closely. He is one of the hands of the Inquisition.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I feel more bad about that poor servoskull

it looks so defeated :qq:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Peztopiary posted:

He's a xeno/archeo-tech smuggler, and the only thing regrettable about his death is it not being at the hands of the Inquisition.

TheBlandName posted:

Look closely. He is one of the hands of the Inquisition.

These things are not mutually exclusive.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

frajaq posted:

I feel more bad about that poor servoskull

it looks so defeated :qq:

yeah it's not dead, it's just really sad

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Warhammer 40k: yeah it's not dead, it's just really sad

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

welcome to the big leagues boys

ps: don't join the Ordo Malleus ever

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Always join Malleus, always go radical in the xenophilic way.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So does Boltpistol McAngryhelmet not once stop and wonder.. "How did my life end up at the point where I'm surrounded by flying daemon-possessed gimptrons" ?

Even in 40K, one supposes there are easier and/or safer ways to make a throne.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tias posted:

So does Boltpistol McAngryhelmet not once stop and wonder.. "How did my life end up at the point where I'm surrounded by flying daemon-possessed gimptrons" ?

He's part of the Malleus. He either knows exactly where his life went wrong (the second he got grabbed for the Inquisition), or this is exactly what he wanted to be doing with his life.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tias posted:

If chaos was able to comprehend just how insane and/or stupid the stuff they do was then they would kill themselves.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Tias posted:

Blood is the only currency of the EMPEROR!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Also I just noticed the (maybe) daemon sword in Boltpistol McAngryhelmet's hand