Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

AND NOW HE'S DEAD.

AND I SHOULD HAVE HIS BALLOT.

get dave to send this forum a single vote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

NickRoweFillea posted:

unless each and everyone of you schmucks agree with me about cima and los misioneros, I ain't sharin'.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

jimmy hart is exactly where he should be as a non wrestler.

They should make the rest of the world it's own committee because with current voting deserving candidates like Colon and Mark Lewin are getting dicked over with Dave's laissez-faire handling of the HOF.

Yes, Colon is being dicked over. Someone who was a major draw in one small territory, a bad worker and could never draw elsewhere is clearly a no doubter. Clearly. That's not an arguable guy who is borderline at all.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

MassRafTer posted:

Yes, Colon is being dicked over. Someone who was a major draw in one small territory, a bad worker and could never draw elsewhere is clearly a no doubter. Clearly. That's not an arguable guy who is borderline at all.

Cool cherry pick and selectively ignoring my point bro.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
Didn't Colon draw all over the Caribbean?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Don't worry once he gets in it will become the objectively correct decision. If he doesn't, that will also be correct.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

How is he being dicked over? He's voted on by his peers and people who followed and reported on his career. He's currently incredibly close to getting in and is an incredibly divisive candidate who is thought poorly of by many of his peers and not thought well of by some historians due to his complete inability to draw outside of Puerto Rico, even in front of ethnic Puerto Rican crowds in New York. If you formed a committee for these candidates how exactly would it be different than just having voters who worked in the area, reported on the area or followed the area vote on him? It's tougher for some Australian candidates but they'll still have their shot in the historical committee. As will Colon if he doesn't squeak in.

Colon is exactly where you would expect a candidate like him to be vote wise, he's an example that the system works.

Spermgod posted:

Don't worry once he gets in it will become the objectively correct decision. If he doesn't, that will also be correct.

It's amazing that you think this is some great burn when it's actually just true. He's a borderline candidate and whether he gets in or doesn't there's really no wrong answer. He's not a clear cut candidate. Thus there is no real right or wrong answer which is why he's so close.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Spermgod posted:

Didn't Colon draw all over the Caribbean?

yup! and even though he wasn't the Puerto Rican draw WWWF wanted he had successful stents in New York and other territories. If one applies the Gordy List to him, he's in, but the Brody asterisk is always going to haunt him.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

yup! and even though he wasn't the Puerto Rican draw WWWF wanted he had successful stents in New York and other territories. If one applies the Gordy List to him, he's in, but the Brody asterisk is always going to haunt him.

Colon's drawing in other territories is marginal at best and not sustained. The entire Caribbean is not a major territory here, that's why most major stars kept other islands as infrequent stopping off points. PR was definitely a hot bed but even then if you look at major stars they would leave their hot beds and succeed in many more places than Colon. Colon is most comparable to Lawler except Lawler was seen as a great worker by his peers.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Is Big Daddy finally getting his due this year?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NienNunb posted:

Is Big Daddy finally getting his due this year?

I hope his vote share goes up again.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

MassRafTer posted:

How is he being dicked over? He's voted on by his peers and people who followed and reported on his career. He's currently incredibly close to getting in and is an incredibly divisive candidate who is thought poorly of by many of his peers and not thought well of by some historians due to his complete inability to draw outside of Puerto Rico, even in front of ethnic Puerto Rican crowds in New York. If you formed a committee for these candidates how exactly would it be different than just having voters who worked in the area, reported on the area or followed the area vote on him? It's tougher for some Australian candidates but they'll still have their shot in the historical committee. As will Colon if he doesn't squeak in.

Colon is exactly where you would expect a candidate like him to be vote wise, he's an example that the system works.

How can you even consider the current voting pool "peers and people who followed and reported on his career?" Anyone who has a ballot can vote for the other category and that is exactly the problem. You'll get folks like Alvarez who can't be considered informed enough to cast a vote considering how must disinterest he has shown in wrestling in the past decade. Have you ever heard him talk about Barnett/Australia? Talk about the baseball stadium sellouts in Bayamon? You get people who may be familiar with one portion of the world but then suddenly has to concern themselves with a giant catch-all for people who don't fit into normal categories. This category along with Historical and Non Wrestler really should get the consideration and treated differently like the Frick Award for BBWAA.

You get historians and people who actually know the candidates rather than the electorate. The best things voters should do for these categories, in my opinion, is opt out and force Meltzer to reformat the HOF (hahaha this is never going to happen).

MassRafTer posted:

Colon's drawing in other territories is marginal at best and not sustained. The entire Caribbean is not a major territory here, that's why most major stars kept other islands as infrequent stopping off points. PR was definitely a hot bed but even then if you look at major stars they would leave their hot beds and succeed in many more places than Colon. Colon is most comparable to Lawler except Lawler was seen as a great worker by his peers.

Colon outdrew the Mid South Coliseum for the baseball stadiums shows at Puerto Rico's peak. I see your Lawler comp and probably he's the candidate with the most in common with Colon, but I don't believe in doing if X was better than Y shouldn't get in. I'm a large hall apologist because you aren't telling the accurate story of wrestling in this area at this time period without having your Carlos Colons, Mark Lewins and Killer Karl Koxes.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

I hope his vote share goes up again.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

How can you even consider the current voting pool "peers and people who followed and reported on his career?" Anyone who has a ballot can vote for the other category and that is exactly the problem. You'll get folks like Alvarez who can't be considered informed enough to cast a vote considering how must disinterest he has shown in wrestling in the past decade. Have you ever heard him talk about Barnett/Australia? Talk about the baseball stadium sellouts in Bayamon? You get people who may be familiar with one portion of the world but then suddenly has to concern themselves with a giant catch-all for people who don't fit into normal categories. This category along with Historical and Non Wrestler really should get the consideration and treated differently like the Frick Award for BBWAA.

You get historians and people who actually know the candidates rather than the electorate. The best things voters should do for these categories, in my opinion, is opt out and force Meltzer to reformat the HOF (hahaha this is never going to happen).

Colon outdrew the Mid South Coliseum for the baseball stadiums shows at Puerto Rico's peak. I see your Lawler comp and probably he's the candidate with the most in common with Colon, but I don't believe in doing if X was better than Y shouldn't get in. I'm a large hall apologist because you aren't telling the accurate story of wrestling in this area at this time period without having your Carlos Colons, Mark Lewins and Killer Karl Koxes.

You aren't supposed to vote in any region you aren't qualified for. Having people selected for each region is something I am very iffy on and self selection hasn't seemed like a major issue in the past beyond white noise shitheads like David Bixenspan who tried to hurt Tanahashi's candidacy with non-votes in Japan, but every Hall of Fame is going to have those issues. I've said earlier that the Other Category sure isn't perfect but given the system and that candidates like Colon will have a second chance in Historical I don't really have an issue. I have no problem with Colon being in and expect him to get in this year, but he's definitely someone with question marks and seems like the exact type of candidate who was going to have trouble.

Lawler also fits the comparison because he had a number of detractors who hated him for reasons outside of being a performer. I don't see Lawler as a reason Colon shouldn't be in or not, he's just an easy comparison and someone with an easier argument because in time wrestlers came to see him as one of the best in the business, so if he'd been voted on in the 80s he'd have trouble but by the mid 90s he was nearly universally liked by his peers.

To me Non-Wrestler is the major problem area and needs to be addressed.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 7, 2015

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

sting

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
I'm not sure what the issue with a blank ballot for Japan in 2013 is? Were any of the guys on there slam dunk candidates?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spermgod posted:

I'm not sure what the issue with a blank ballot for Japan in 2013 is? Were any of the guys on there slam dunk candidates?

It's an issue when you do it to keep a guy out, just how it is lame and stupid how baseball writers send them in for similar reasons.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
If he genuinely thought there were no HOF-worthy candidates that year I don't see what difference motivation makes tbh

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

MassRafTer posted:

Laws often exist defacto that have no basis de jure.

do we got any soup de jure back there I'm starving

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MassRafTer posted:

The Hot Summer theories were good but Bryan's explanation for why Devon always gets the tables was better.

Craig misunderstanding that was pretty hilarious too.

"So if Bubba's so good at it, why is he sending Devon?"
"Because he knows Devon will screw it up and they won't get DQed!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

NickRoweFillea posted:

We'd just send back the ballot scratched out and with "Adam Cole :colbert:" written in without any explanation.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin

Jerusalem posted:

We'd just send back the ballot scratched out and with "KANE" written in without any explanation.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

We'd just send back the ballot scratched out and with "Cesaro" written in without any explanation.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Jerusalem posted:

We'd just send back the ballot scratched out and with "Gary Strydom" written in without any explanation.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
I just want to say that out of everybody on the ballot, I'm most upset Akira Taue's status as an utter no-hoper with a really low vote share.

I used to think JYD was a no-brainer because he was such a big deal in Mid-South, but after tweeting Dave about it I think it's fair that he doesn't get many votes -- he was utterly poo poo as a worker, had no longevity, and his peak period was very brief.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
JYD was not as lovely of a worker as Big Daddy however

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

DynamiteKidd posted:

I just want to say that out of everybody on the ballot, I'm most upset Akira Taue's status as an utter no-hoper with a really low vote share.

He's not even the best drummer in the Four Pillars.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

DynamiteKidd posted:

I was surprised too but Dave has said multiple times him and Akiyama always get no support from their peers.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Wrestling Observer Live was interesting today. Ed has been banned from the show for a week and someone shilled the pillow fight league.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I wonder how many texts Bryan really gets. I sent two in yesterday and he read them both.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I hope Hot Summer goes on forever so I can get Lance's analysis on Bryan's theories forever and Bryan trying to get him to admit something about the storyline is good.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Newest Observer Radio is up, already a good listen.

Bryan: Let me finish my statemen-
Dave: No no no nononononono

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
lol at Mike using the SW TUF season as an example of establishing a good division:

"It's a good thing Carla won"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Newest Observer Radio is up, already a good listen.

Bryan: Let me finish my statemen-
Dave: No no no nononononono

He's absolutely right about Bayley though. Either they'll get out of their own way and she may actually be the female star they need to get this whole revolution thing to work properly. Or she's going to bomb worse than Emma.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Big Dave talking 1950s weightlifting with Bruno Sammartino :allears:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I could listen to Bruno tell stories for hours

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That bit about the village in Italy calling him up on his 80th birthday was glorious.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Gaz-L posted:

He's absolutely right about Bayley though. Either they'll get out of their own way and she may actually be the female star they need to get this whole revolution thing to work properly. Or she's going to bomb worse than Emma.

Deep down, everyone knows that there's really only one option here and how it's going to play out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

GoutPatrol posted:

I was surprised too but Dave has said multiple times him and Akiyama always get no support from their peers.

Akiyama to me isn't a Hall of Famer in truth. Being in the main event for a long time does not mecessarily make you an all time great. He is always below Misawa, Kawada and Kobashi on the totem pole... he's like a Japanese DDP to me almost. He was great, but he's not an all time great.

• Locked thread