Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Exmond posted:

Quickstart rules for the RPG is out at drivethrurpg.com. Includes rules and adventure guide.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/159673/INFINITY-RPG-FREE-Quickstart

Dope. Thanks for the heads up.

I think the Heat/2d20 system is a really neat way to abstract all the grit of Shadowrun while keeping the Tacticoolness and neat toys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
Fiddling around with a test model. Still a work in progress, but I'm not sure about it. I think the idea of the color scheme looked better in my head than it is turning out in reality.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I think I really like the color scheme.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Agreed the blue and yellow work really well with that black to offset. Nicely done

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

Painting thread suggested making the arms/boots/packs a cool grey, which I think will go better with the yellow and blue.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Cyclomatic posted:

Painting thread suggested making the arms/boots/packs a cool grey, which I think will go better with the yellow and blue.

I really like the painting, but agree that you need some more neutral colors in there

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Played the Infinity RPG quickstart-playtest today with some of our Infinity regulars. Our crew was Victor the Hexas Agent doing Sterling Archer impersonation, Father Steven-Gregor-O'Mally-something our Father-Knight, the Hassassin Altair, and our ex-Yakuza ganger Jane Cobb.

The scenario was great, and the fluff spectacular. However, we only had two combat scenarios: They blew through the Specculo Killer, and the Morat boarding party encounter drug on forever. The PCs are ridiculously beefy. Having soak 2-5, being able to dodge attacks, and Infinity Points to refresh health to full made it impossible to put any real hurt on them. A little frustrating considering the lethality of Infinity is a major strength.

However, our interest is still peaked. The Heat-Momentum system is a real clever way to load narrative agency into the mechanics, and the Infinity fluff is a great world to set your player shenanigans in. We have at least two people buying-in on the Kickstarter, and we're willing to make some major changes in the combat rules to make the violence a little more ultra.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
That's too bad, Infinity could theoretically do lethal combat in a long campaign better than most settings because of cubes. How well would the combat rules work with miniatures?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

TastyAvocado posted:

That's too bad, Infinity could theoretically do lethal combat in a long campaign better than most settings because of cubes. How well would the combat rules work with miniatures?

Very... badly?

The infinity system uses a range band called "Zones". Zones are a lot like the fate system. Pretty much just take an area and call it a zone. If you are in the same "zone" you can just move into close combat using a move action.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

Is it inherent to the system or was it the encounter? They might have soft balled things as a fair number of RPG players tend towards being god awful at game tactics/mechanics and often get rather miffed if they don't meet with success. It is a product demo after all, and with demos the goal is to find a way to take a dive no matter how hard they make it for you to lose.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

TastyAvocado posted:

This is my rival's (the Nomad player's :doom:) suggestion. I think it would take some managing, but the RPG isn't too far off from the tabletop game. The RPG has ARO's in the form of reactive actions one can take in response to opponents doing something (note that you cannot attack back, but you can react even if you aren't the one being attacked). Forcing the Wargame's rules into the RPG would mostly consist of the fine tuning the RPG ARO equivalent and adding another layer of fallibility to armor.

Cyclomatic posted:

Is it inherent to the system or was it the encounter? They might have soft balled things as a fair number of RPG players tend towards being god awful at game tactics/mechanics and often get rather miffed if they don't meet with success. It is a product demo after all, and with demos the goal is to find a way to take a dive no matter how hard they make it for you to lose.

This was my take on it. I was the GM, and the quickstart gave no support on how to structure encounters to make them difficult, how many enemies the players should face, or anything that might help the GM challenge the players. I think with some more explicit planning and expectations from the players, difficulty could be added as simply as some of the baddies packing bigger guns.

On the other hand, the biggest mistake I made was making the climactic fight against the Morats a straight up meatgrinder. I should've take notes off the wargame and introduced a primary objective to which fighting would've been useful, but not essential. A straight slugging match was pretty reminiscent of 3.5/4th ed. D&D where everyone is just rolling dice and shuffling their models around.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

If it helps Verr we played it here and had much the same opinions you did.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

It does, thanks. Got a case of the Kickstarter jitters.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah I was kinda turned off on how survivable things were but I do love my theme more than my mechanics so I still really enjoyed it, I do wish things were a bit sharper and quicker to resolve though, it'd help with how decisive the game itself can be and I think needs to be in the RPG more, we're gonna have another crack at it next week and see what's good.

E: Also PZ, fair shout, I've been running double Shrouded for two weeks or so now and people have been hating it, they're so loving good. It helps they keep making their Automedikit checks and just purely aggravating my friends.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 10, 2015

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

Someone just told me that models partially in a zero-v zone can not have LOF drawn to them? Is that right? I thought it was just models partially in smoke can't draw LoF to other models.

edit: because my bikes just got even more absurd if they can toe into a smoke cloud with their giant 55mm bases and hack, or have the Yojimbo murderize everything in a nine inch diameter of death off one smoke grenade that doesn't need to land on the target so they don't get to at least try and dodge a bit back towards safety.

Cyclomatic fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Oct 10, 2015

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
PanO army is growing!

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

Cross post of some WIP shots I took of an Oniwaban. Decided to channel my inner Storm Shadow. Mostly to avoid painting black at all costs.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Ooh that's coming along quite nicely, it's really heavy on the white, how much are you intending with that? It's looking nice shade wise though.

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011

Cyclomatic posted:

Cross post of some WIP shots I took of an Oniwaban. Decided to channel my inner Storm Shadow. Mostly to avoid painting black at all costs.

This owns.

I just picked up my Doctor Worm but i'm wondering how to apply the new studio scheme to it. I was hoping they would update the paint scheme on the bx to match the new EI color palette but they decided to just re use the one from the last edition.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

Ooh that's coming along quite nicely, it's really heavy on the white, how much are you intending with that? It's looking nice shade wise though.

Thought is to go almost all white. Eyes will be green, and so will the sword. Goal is to channel Storm Shadow, and to have the red on the forehead channel the Japanese flag. Ideally the red and the sword should draw the eye with nothing but white elsewhere. We'll see if it is a disaster or not.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Sweet. Keep posting dude it's looking nice.

Hmm how amazing of an idea is running a Charontid and an Anathematic in same list.

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

Sweet. Keep posting dude it's looking nice.

Hmm how amazing of an idea is running a Charontid and an Anathematic in same list.

The best Idea

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

lol one of my mates said "friends dont let friends play lists like that"

Time to make is so and spring it on our tilty player who is rapidly becoming "that guy" of our gorup.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
'Tilty'?

And I wouldn't say that 2 x beastly models necessarily makes a beastly list, it depends on the mission whether you want to go for a single combat group or spread out. If it is annihilation or a simple mission, those two would be good though. MSV3 and TO are both excellent for striker models.

I am on holiday painting a bit - done 2 Intruders and now working on 2 Hellcats. Goal is to also complete 2 Tomcats by the end. For some reason I find painting models in pairs is the right batch size for me with Infinity. You get a bit more done and are using at least some of the paint dropped out onto the pallet, but it doesn't take forever.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah if one spanner goes into his works so to speak he starts tilting and losing the plot, he's the sort of player to start to get frustrated with a game and then question every action you'll do and second guess each rule while not doing it for his own play, followed by arguing against blatant LOS calls, a few of my guys don't enjoying playing vs him.

He's a nice enough guy, just a bit of a mare to play against apparently. I've yet to play against him but inevitably it'll come up. :)

also yuuurgh the Asswang model is poo poo, time to just plop camo tokens down and hope he never gets seen.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 12, 2015

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Cross-posting from the squinty-eyes thread:

First set of vanilla Ghulams finished!

Angled for slightly better light (gods, I need to just make a light-box already...):

Rear view:

The guy in the middle is clearly supposed to be an homage to Solid Snake from the Metal Gear Solid games. Most of the time you see this mini painted, the headband is, well, a headband. But I figured having only one eye and wanting to get into knife-fights means you get cut. Hence the bandage. :) I tried to get the effect of old, crusted blood soaked through several layers of bandage:

This makes 6 Infinity minis done now. And by starting with the cheap ones first, that's all of 92 points. :cripes:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

also yuuurgh the Asswang model is poo poo, time to just plop camo tokens down and hope he never gets seen.

Shave off its toupee and it looks much much better.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Is Army Infinity dying for anyone else?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The entire website is dying.

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011

WAR FOOT posted:

Is Army Infinity dying for anyone else?

Its been down since at least Saturday. For the fifth time while giving demo games for Infinity while telling the prospective new player how great the free army builder and Infinity wiki are and how much they add to the game they both turn out to be down. I really wish they could get their tech poo poo together.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

In Spain, expecting a worker to do something about your crashed website that hosts a key element of your business (rules and Army) when it happens is apparently unreasonable. I'm not in favor of wageslavery, but at a point there is a reason for 20% unemployment rates. Seriously, it crashes for days at a time on a regular basis, how is that any way to run a business.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
So I bought the Aridania box since it was on sale and I wanted some random junk to paint, but I'm thinking about getting into this game. Unfortunately the website needed to look all this stuff up is not working!

What else would I have to buy to make this into a playable army? Can I get by with the quickstart rulebook, or do I need to shell out a bazillion dollars for the printed version? And are there legal PDF versions of the rulebook (and army books, I guess) anywhere?

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

grassy gnoll posted:

So I bought the Aridania box since it was on sale and I wanted some random junk to paint, but I'm thinking about getting into this game. Unfortunately the website needed to look all this stuff up is not working!

What else would I have to buy to make this into a playable army? Can I get by with the quickstart rulebook, or do I need to shell out a bazillion dollars for the printed version? And are there legal PDF versions of the rulebook (and army books, I guess) anywhere?

Website is back up now.

The entire rulebook is free as a PDF on their website. Their Army builder on the website has all the unit profiles (and is canonical). Hence them being called lazy idiots for just letting it sit down for days at a time when is crashes on a weekend.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Cyclomatic posted:

In Spain, expecting a worker to do something about your crashed website that hosts a key element of your business (rules and Army) when it happens is apparently unreasonable. I'm not in favor of wageslavery, but at a point there is a reason for 20% unemployment rates. Seriously, it crashes for days at a time on a regular basis, how is that any way to run a business.

I agree that it's a problem, but (a) there are plenty of small American companies that have the same issue, because small dumb companies don't prioritize IT (b) that's not how unemployment rates work.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

admanb posted:

I agree that it's a problem, but (a) there are plenty of small American companies that have the same issue, because small dumb companies don't prioritize IT (b) that's not how unemployment rates work.

Or they could just put it on a CDN for super cheap and have it only partially crash, or not even be noticed if they did it right. It is likely how unemployment rates work in Spain to a fair degee because they don't make hardly anything there, likely for this exact sort of unreliable attitude.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

grassy gnoll posted:

Which Ariadna box?

@PDFs: You want to go HERE and grab:
Rulebook (full core rules, i.e. everything but fluff/pretty pictures)
Human Sphere and Paradiso Rules (as above, but for the expansions - BUT! these are still from the previous edition yo you'll need the following)
N3 FAQ and N3 Weapons (these patch the expansions to the current edition)
ITS Rules and Missions (once you get bored of straight firefights; these are tournament scenarios)

The official army builder will add necessary stuff like relevant weapon stats and Booty/Meta-Chemistry tables to the PDF list.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

i love making bad lists when under the influence

ima play the gently caress out of this until I wake up tomorrow and read what I was working on

Combined Army
──────────────────────────────────────────────────

Group 1 10 0 0
CHARONTID Lieutenant (Multispectral Visor L3) HMG, Nanopulser / Heavy Pistol, Knife. (2 | 79)
ANATHEMATIC Hacker (EI Hacking Device) Plasma Rifle, Nanopulser / Pistol, Shock CCW. (0.5 | 88)
SHROUDED (Minelayer) Combi Rifle, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 25)
SHROUDED (Forward Observer) Combi Rifle, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (25)
M-DRONE Combi Rifle, Sniffer / Electric Pulse. (17)
Q-DRONE HMG / Electric Pulse. (1 | 26)
IKADRON (Baggage, Repeater) 2 Light Flamethrowers, Flash Pulse / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (9)
IKADRON (Baggage, Repeater) 2 Light Flamethrowers, Flash Pulse / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (9)
ÍMETRON Electric Pulse. (4)

4 SWC | 299 Points

Open with Army 5

E: Roger Roger

Combined Army

Group 1 10 0 0
CHARONTID Lieutenant (Multispectral Visor L3) HMG, Nanopulser / Heavy Pistol, Knife. (2 | 79)
ANATHEMATIC Hacker (EI Hacking Device) Plasma Rifle, Nanopulser / Pistol, Shock CCW. (0.5 | 88)
SPECULO KILLER Boarding Shotgun, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, Monofilament CCW, Knife. (1 | 34)
UNIDRON (Forward Observer) Plasma Carbine / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (15)
UNIDRON (Forward Observer) Plasma Carbine / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (15)
Q-DRONE HMG / Electric Pulse. (1 | 26)

Group 2 1 0 0

4.5 SWC | 300 Points

Open with Army 5

Might run the 8-pt Drone rather than double Imetron in that second list, but I like the potential for the extra order mid-game if both land, although a 6-6 repeater is always useful for good ol Mr Annie.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 12, 2015

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Thinking of taking a crack at this "not a 15 man order spam" thing:

Neoterran Capitaline Army

Group 1 10 0 0
SWISS GUARD Hacker (Assault Hacking Device) MULTI Rifle / Pistol, AP CCW. (0.5 | 70)
AQUILA HMG / Pistol, Shock CCW. (2 | 62)
FUSILIER HMG / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 18)
FUSILIER Lieutenant Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (10)
FUSILIER Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (10)
AUXILIA (Forward Observer) Combi Rifle + AUXBOT_1 / Pistol, Knife. (15)
AUXBOT_1 Heavy Flamethrower / Electric Pulse. (4)
AUXILIA (Forward Observer) Combi Rifle + AUXBOT_1 / Pistol, Knife. (15)
CSU Boarding Shotgun, Nanopulser / Pistol, Knife. (11)

Group 2 1 0 0
SWISS GUARD Missile Launcher, Light Shotgun / Pistol, AP CCW. (2 | 69)

5.5 SWC | 300 Points

Open with Army 5

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Though this looks like even more fun - there's a tournament coming up with Biotechvore involved, so I'm expecting some folks will want to practice for it...

Military Orders

Group 1 10 0 5
JOAN OF ARC Lieutenant Spitfire, Nanopulser / Pistol, AP CCW. (1 | 51)
FATHER-KNIGHT (Forward Observer) Combi Rifle, Nimbus Grenades / Breaker Pistol, DA CCW. (46)
KNIGHT HOSPITALLER Doctor (MediKit) MULTI Rifle / Pistol, AP CCW. (41)
MAGISTER KNIGHT Missile Launcher / Pistol, DA CCW. (2 | 32)
MAGISTER KNIGHT Panzerfaust, Light Shotgun / Pistol, DA CCW. (24)
SPEC. SERGEANT Combi Rifle + AUXBOT_1 / Pistol, Knife. (17)
SPEC. SERGEANT Combi Rifle + AUXBOT_1 / Pistol, Knife. (17)

3 SWC | 300 Points

Open with Army 5

e: Or maybe a version that doesn't instantly roll over and die to hacker coverage:

Military Orders

Group 1 10 0 5
JOAN OF ARC Lieutenant Spitfire, Nanopulser / Pistol, AP CCW. (1 | 51)
FATHER-KNIGHT Hacker (Assault Hacking Device) Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Breaker Pistol, DA CCW. (0.5 | 50)
MAGISTER KNIGHT Missile Launcher / Pistol, DA CCW. (2 | 32)
MAGISTER KNIGHT Panzerfaust, Light Shotgun / Pistol, AP CCW. (23)
SPEC. SERGEANT (CH: TO Camouflage, Infiltration, Forward Observer) Combi Rifle, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (27)
BIPANDRA Combi Rifle + Light Shotgun / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 24)
SPEC. SERGEANT Hacker (Hacking Device) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 21)

4.5 SWC | 300 Points

Open with Army 5

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Pierzak posted:

Which Ariadna box?

@PDFs: You want to go HERE and grab:
Rulebook (full core rules, i.e. everything but fluff/pretty pictures)
Human Sphere and Paradiso Rules (as above, but for the expansions - BUT! these are still from the previous edition yo you'll need the following)
N3 FAQ and N3 Weapons (these patch the expansions to the current edition)
ITS Rules and Missions (once you get bored of straight firefights; these are tournament scenarios)

The official army builder will add necessary stuff like relevant weapon stats and Booty/Meta-Chemistry tables to the PDF list.

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/catalog/product/view/id/47275/s/cvb280007-0540/ The Army Pack box, which I assume means a specific thing.

Are the fluff and pictures worth sixty-some bucks?

And is Operation Icestorm actually worth time and money, or is it a trap like GW starter boxes?

• Locked thread