Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

To constantly gently caress with and reset this inhuman's domain makes it seem like he has a shitload of time, and could have used that time to make his world better.

This issue took it from regular old rear end in a top hat Doom to skin crawling creepy fucker though. He took in the alternate fantastic four, made Johnny the sun, put Grimm to a sisyphean task, married sue then manipulated reality so that she'd give birth to Val and Franklin again. :stonk: :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SynthOrange posted:

This issue took it from regular old rear end in a top hat Doom to skin crawling creepy fucker though. He took in the alternate fantastic four, made Johnny the sun, put Grimm to a sisyphean task, married sue then manipulated reality so that she'd give birth to Val and Franklin again. :stonk: :barf:

Oh man, Doom is such a internet creeper.

Fuckstick Electric
Nov 25, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Assuming the story is in any way true.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Since the kids look the same as when they were Reed's kids, I assume Doom didn't magic impregnate Sue with Reed's DNA and instead just did a whole bunch of mindwipe/ false memory fuckery.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Man, Gillen, heck of a last few words to close out Siege. What a ride.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
As someone who cannot wait for Secret Wars to be over so Marvel can be all-ANAD all the time, this was a pretty great week for Secret Wars overall. OML, Siege, SW#6 and 1602 Witch Hunter were all amazing. Spider Island is the weak link, but even then I wouldn't say it was bad, just not particularly noteworthy. It happened, was alright, about as much as I can say.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DrProsek posted:

Since the kids look the same as when they were Reed's kids, I assume Doom didn't magic impregnate Sue with Reed's DNA and instead just did a whole bunch of mindwipe/ false memory fuckery.

Yea, I assumed the whole Fantastic Four with Dr Storm was a false memory that Doom implanted in Sue to explain why things were how they were.

And I still think that they are the ones from the part of the raft that broke off. Doom saw that Sue and the kids were falling into the end of all things vortex and used his god powers to rescue them.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Where did Ultimate Reed get his eye injury and has he ever said why he hasn't used his science to fix it?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Starsnostars posted:

Where did Ultimate Reed get his eye injury and has he ever said why he hasn't used his science to fix it?

if I remember right johnny loving melted his face at the end of the fight where everyone found out he was evil and he has left it because he doesn't care

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

if I remember right johnny loving melted his face at the end of the fight where everyone found out he was evil and he has left it because he doesn't care
I thought it was he sustained enough damage that he actually couldn't fully heal the extent of it. So many :stare: faces in SW. Ribic can do a great wtf. Anyone else want a new SW book that has Thanos adventuring south of The Wall having a good old time?

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
I thought that the Prophet was a reincarnated Scott Summers as he's the Marvel dissident these days, and especially with the 'fire' and 'raised' descriptors about his words to the people, which I read as Phoenix references.

...I'd forgotten all about Maximus though.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I want a fully annotated three volume omnibus of every tie-in that explains all of these references.

EvilJay
Jul 25, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah I was thinking about how no matter what's up with the kids, if Doom is Sue's "love" then he's probably banged her at least a few times over 8 years. Thats got to be amazingly creepy when Reed shows up, no matter the outcome of Secret Wars...

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

And I still think that they are the ones from the part of the raft that broke off. Doom saw that Sue and the kids were falling into the end of all things vortex and used his god powers to rescue them.

I was pretty against this idea but after reading Siege of all things I have to say this is what likely happened. After Grimm gets hit with the enlightenment cannon and goes back to Thanos the conversation they had almost felt personal. Like it wasn't just an acknowledgement of who each one was, but I got the hint that they knew they were talking to the same person they've known from before.

SW#6's story could be either a memory implanted or what really happened (if these are other versions of the family) but I think these really ARE 616 Sue, Val, and the rest of the Foundation.

I pinned Maximus as the prophet immediately. Him and Galactus' herald are the only ones they haven't shown post scatter, right? Either way, it's going to break when 616 Phoenix Scott is reborn and resumes monologuing.

I also want to say that even though he's only getting a line or two every other issue, Bentley is loving great.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 9, 2015

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
One of the things that was so amazing about Siege was that it was loving Thanos of all people telling Ben Grimm of all people to go be a hero. How much have they interacted over the years. I'm shocked Thanos even knew his name, but he does and in fact he calls him a hero and talks about what a great hero he was. Such a surreal moment.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I was pretty against this idea but after reading Siege of all things I have to say this is what likely happened. After Grimm gets hit with the enlightenment cannon and goes back to Thanos the conversation they had almost felt personal. Like it wasn't just an acknowledgement of who each one was, but I got the hint that they knew they were talking to the same person they've known from before.

SW#6's story could be either a memory implanted or what really happened (if these are other versions of the family) but I think these really ARE 616 Sue, Val, and the rest of the Foundation.

I pinned Maximus as the prophet immediately. Him and Galactus' herald are the only ones they haven't shown post scatter, right? Either way, it's going to break when 616 Phoenix Scott is reborn and resumes monologuing.

I also want to say that even though he's only getting a line or two every other issue, Bentley is loving great.

It makes sense anyway. It's 616 Doom, it's the 616 Sue and Valeria that he has feelings for, not some random doppelgangers out there.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Yeah, Doom has always been motivated by his jealousy for RICHAAAARDS. With all his money and power he could never have the things Reed had, which were the things he really wanted.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

PaybackJack posted:

One of the things that was so amazing about Siege was that it was loving Thanos of all people telling Ben Grimm of all people to go be a hero. How much have they interacted over the years. I'm shocked Thanos even knew his name, but he does and in fact he calls him a hero and talks about what a great hero he was. Such a surreal moment.

"What time is it, Ben?" is one of the best moments ever.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Assuming editorial has any oversight over the tie-ins, Sue's story is almost certainly an implanted memory since multiple tie-ins have had characters talking about things that happened well before the eight year life of Battleworld. Never mind that most everyone is older than eight. Grimm also didn't know his name was Ben. I suppose the royal family could have some knowledge of the truth that the general populace doesn't but considering Val's investigations, I'm not sure that's the case. I think Sue's story is not a very good source of truth.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You would think Doom would realize Valeria is far too smart for his lies to stick with her.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Senor Candle posted:

Also, kind of a warning for people reading stuff tomorrow. I would recommend reading siege before you read secret wars if you plan on reading both.

Thank you for this. Siege 4 was amazing.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Aphrodite posted:

You would think Doom would realize Valeria is far too smart for his lies to stick with her.

She's just a kid. She thinks he's her dad.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

He makes the same mistakes Reed does.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

PaybackJack posted:

One of the classic Marvel stories of the '70s is in Marvel Two-In-One Annual #2, which features the original "death" of Thanos. Spider-Man gets tapped on the shoulder by cosmic entities to go rescue the Avengers, who've been beaten down by Thanos's army, and he recruits Ben because he figures the FF probably have a spacecraft. The ensuing fight involves a Thing and Thor tag team against Thanos, and while Ben gets the worst of it, he keeps going straight at Thanos just as if he stands a chance.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, Think was definitely integral in one of the first big Thanos crossover stories Marvel did.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That story ruled. I really like the part where Spider-man realizes just how out of his league he is and has a panic attack and runs away from Thanos, flat-out.

Pompadour Diamond
Mar 21, 2013
Yeah, considering how close Thanos was to victory in that story, it isn't that surprising he would remember the names of those who foiled him, even if they seem insignificant on a cosmic scale.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Pompadour Diamond posted:

Yeah, considering how close Thanos was to victory in that story, it isn't that surprising he would remember the names of those who foiled him, even if they seem insignificant on a cosmic scale.

Also, the F4 are pretty consistently loving around on a cosmic scale, even if they never fought in person Thanos would know who he is ("Oh yeah, he's part of that group that's defeated Galactus multiple times").

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Unmature posted:

I want a fully annotated three volume omnibus of every tie-in that explains all of these references.

I need this just for WeirdWorld.

loving Crystar, man.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Also, the F4 are pretty consistently loving around on a cosmic scale, even if they never fought in person Thanos would know who he is ("Oh yeah, he's part of that group that's defeated Galactus multiple times").

You'd remember it if you fought him.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Man, gently caress Hawkeye. The Thing's the coolest.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Hawkeye despising The Thing's shtick will always be loving hilarious to me. Did it ever get referenced in anything else?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Thanos is the kind of guy who strikes me as having researched the avengers remotely at least once. He's a planner too.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Thanos having that conversation with Thor, I get that. Having it with Captain America, I get that. Having the conversation with Black Bolt, I get that and it ties into Infinity.

Thanos having the conversation with Thing, you could argue it was just because he was the Shield, but the manner in which they interacted still felt like old rivals, it was like how Thanos would talk to Silver Surfer. It wasn't bad, but it was definitely surreal because if you were to make a list of people Thanos humbled himself for as a way to spur someone into action, Thing would not be high on that list.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

It was also responsible for merging Nimrod and Master Mold into Bastion, back when.

Wait what? I thought Bastion was a Sentinel who became sentient due to the power of true love a glitch in his programming.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gynovore posted:

Wait what? I thought Bastion was a Sentinel who became sentient due to the power of true love a glitch in his programming.

you're both right

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Bastion_(Earth-616)

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Can someone explain Years of the Future Past? I didn't understand it at all.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You spent your money poorly

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

SalTheBard posted:

Can someone explain Years of the Future Past? I didn't understand it at all.

This is from memory so here goes:

It's DOFP. Kitty and Colossus have been living in a concentration camp and have raised their daughter, who seems to be able to turn into liquid metal or something. Magneto lives there too and they have this big idea to save Baron Kelly from an assassination and get mutants freed. Meanwhile, Wolverine has been raising another kid and he's gonna help out. The two kids are potentially the last mutants ever.

Turns out the two kids are siblings and Wolverine's been raising the son of Kitty and Colossus because...? Then they go and meet some other mutants, like Nightcrawler who runs the local church of Doom and is immune to human attacks and Angel who runs an underground city for mutants.

Sentinels attack and they're gonna go save Kelly with the catch that Magneto is controlling the Sentinel that will try to assassinate him. They find out the real plan is to kill Kitty's daughter because it will start a war or something and yeah! Rachel Summers has been helping with this plan and everyone is mad. Magneto gets killed and everyone is upset but then Kitty's son decides to enact the plan in a new way: murder Kelly!

He goes to murder the Baron. His sister has to kill him to stop him. Everyone is sad but Kelly seems to have a change of heart about mutants.

There was a metaphorical conversation about tigers eating people and bad choices or something and then the tigers EAT Magneto's corpse I guess and then Kitty sees the tiger and THE END HOLY poo poo AAAAHHHHHH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know I'm playing catch up...but my god was Hank Johnson Agent of Hydra hilarious. Nice artwork too...but also just really funny.

• Locked thread