Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Need backstory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

dordreff posted:

They did one of Wyrd Sisters too.
I have those. Bought the DVD years ago, but never watched it. I usually make it 20 seconds in and then I stop concentrating because all I can think is "CDi Zelda, CDi Zelda..."

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Oh god, I think you just ruined both of them for. The '90s animation definitely reminded me of something.

Nihilarian posted:

Going to get a new book and I figure it's time to get started on either Death or the Witches books. Thoughts?
Death! Death! Death!

But maybe it's just because Mort is one of my favourites, whereas I didn't enjoy Equal Rites and can't get into Wyrd Sisters at all.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Both cartoons suck a lot, but in a charming sort of way.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Nihilarian posted:

Going to get a new book and I figure it's time to get started on either Death or the Witches books. Thoughts?

Witches! Wyrd Sisters is amazing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

Both cartoons suck a lot, but in a charming sort of way.

The Cosgrove Hall Discworld series are good.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

I have those. Bought the DVD years ago, but never watched it. I usually make it 20 seconds in and then I stop concentrating because all I can think is "CDi Zelda, CDi Zelda..."

Yeah they're aggressively ugly but not bad if you can get past that.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

dordreff posted:

Yeah they're aggressively ugly but not bad if you can get past that.

Seriously watch them. You must witness the more bizzare character design and voice casting choices.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
My first exposure to Pratchett was the Wyrd Sisters cartoon, which has caused me to always picture Magrat, Granny, and Nanny Ogg speaking with those voices. Which is OK, I felt the voice work fit up pretty well.

e: I think the 'humble old woodgatherer LAWKS' scene does pretty well

https://youtu.be/HGKP2vVwcDg?t=1h50m57s

angerbot fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 3, 2015

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Missing the "I believe I would" line, ruined.

The voice work is pretty good, though. It's a shame about the animation.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

angerbeet posted:

My first exposure to Pratchett was the Wyrd Sisters cartoon, which has caused me to always picture Magrat, Granny, and Nanny Ogg speaking with those voices. Which is OK, I felt the voice work fit up pretty well.

Well, yeah, it's June Whitfield, Annette Crosbie and Jane Horrocks doing the voices. There's a great deal of voice talent in those series.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I kind of hope they look into the animation side of things for the Discworld if the Watch is a hit now. I still believe you can do a good Discworld adaption from the books.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I would like them to make it as grounded and "real" as possible, and not give it the "wacky kidz show" treatment Discworld adaptations seem to get.

Have the confidence to have a self-serious gritty crime drama that also happens to have whimsical trolls and poo poo.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

SeanBeansShako posted:

I still believe you can do a good Discworld adaption from the books.

I disagree. Too much of the humor comes from the narration and footnotes, and adaptations just can't recreate that.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

SeanBeansShako posted:

I kind of hope they look into the animation side of things for the Discworld if the Watch is a hit now. I still believe you can do a good Discworld adaption from the books.

I just hope that someone at GoG.com manages to get the licenses for the Discworld games, because I'd love to play Noir again.
It was a nice game.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Iacen posted:

I just hope that someone at GoG.com manages to get the licenses for the Discworld games, because I'd love to play Noir again.
It was a nice game.

I was lucky to get a budget re-release a few years ago of the game, but I am down for this as I've missed playing Discworld 2.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Iacen posted:

It was a nice game.
And it was made almost completely without Pratchett. His main contribution was to make sure they didn't gently caress it up.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Alhazred posted:

His main contribution was to make sure they didn't gently caress it up.

That's a pretty big contribution for a licensed game.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Asgerd posted:

I disagree. Too much of the humor comes from the narration and footnotes, and adaptations just can't recreate that.

So have a narrator.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hedrigall posted:

So have a narrator.

Stephen Fry is the default for these things nowadays, correct?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The first Discworld game did the narrator thing and it did it quite well if you ask me.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

The first Discworld game did the narrator thing and it did it quite well if you ask me.

I guess it was nice that they did something right.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Alhazred posted:

I guess it was nice that they did something right.

I'm really not a fan of more or less everything else as the art style is generic and the puzzles obnoxious, but the way Pratchett saw PC Games in the early nineties and helped with the development was brilliant.

Plus he made fun of all that in the intro to the manual of the 2nd game.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Discworld 2 has some really annoying bits where areas are larger than one screen, but the initial view is drawn to make you think it's exactly screen-sized. Talk about your pixel hunting in adventure games, in this one you have to edge hunt.

More than a decade since I played it and that's the thing I remember.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

How come none of you assholes ever told me how great Science of Discworld is? Learning cool poo poo about neutron stars and the atmosphere AND reading about the wizards loving around with stuff. This book is GOLD.

-Fish- fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 8, 2015

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I have begun to read the last two Tiffany Aching books and realized that that will be the last time I will ever read a Discworld book I haven't read before :(

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I might never read the last Aching book. I also never saw George Carlin's last stand-up special. I just tend to keep things like that out there in the unknowable void, because then I'll never be finished. :smith:

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
I've been putting off reading the last Aching book, mostly because I'm scared it'll be as bad as Raising Steam.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

dordreff posted:

I've been putting off reading the last Aching book, mostly because I'm scared it'll be as bad as Raising Steam.
By all reports it is much better, although also clearly unfinished.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

dordreff posted:

It was way better than Raising Steam. Not even in the same ballpark, honestly. That said, it was definitely the weakest in the Aching series. The dialogue felt really wooden and you could really tell that it didn't get that polish the other books got. It was still absolutely a wonderful book by normal standards and definitely worth reading. I shed a little tear in the beginning of the book when Granny Weatherwax died. I like that it's heavily implied but never outright stated that You contains her mind or a part of it, which is the sort of clever play on words I'd missed from Pratchett; we've all got a little Granny in our heads now. :unsmith:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Reene posted:

I shed a little tear in the beginning of the book when
What :stare:

Jeez, talk about going out with a bang. Kinda want to read it now.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Reene posted:

I shed a little tear in the beginning of the book when

oh gently caress no I did not mean to mouse over that spoiler oh no :smith:

i guess I need to read the book now but even hearing about that kinda put me in a state of shock

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

dmboogie posted:

oh gently caress no I did not mean to mouse over that spoiler oh no :smith:

i guess I need to read the book now but even hearing about that kinda put me in a state of shock

Thankfully it's also the best-written part of the book. It was clearly part of the arc all along.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Yeah I just finished The Shepherd's Crown and yeah :( . There was also a short afterward explaining Terry's writing process and admitting Terry would have written a longer and more polished book if he had the time, as well as talking about some of the books and stories he had planned on writing, one of which seems to have been an allegory for his battle with Alzheimers .

I still need to read Raising Steam and Unseen Academicals. I had started Unseen Academicals but didn't really get into it as it started with a lot of new characters. I'll have to go give those two a read now.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I didn't mind Unseen Academicals. It has some of the same plot issues as Making Money - the pacing is a mess and the villain is weak - but I liked it better than that. It's definitely better than Snuff or Raising Steam.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Unseen Academicals seriously fecked me off because it seems like even without the Alzheimer's, he didn't understand football culture half as well as he thought he did. For once it really seemed like satire written by an outsider looking in.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Trin Tragula posted:

Unseen Academicals seriously fecked me off because it seems like even without the Alzheimer's, he didn't understand football culture half as well as he thought he did. For once it really seemed like satire written by an outsider looking in.
Do tell?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

FactsAreUseless posted:

By all reports it is much better, although also clearly unfinished.

I finished it last night. The first half is really, really good. The chapter which contains the aforementioned spoiler is one of the most beautiful things he's written. I twigged what was going to happen pretty early, and it lead to this entire sense of bittersweet anticipation.

In some ways, I feel he was writing his own death as much as Granny's.

The last half isn't nearly so polished. It feels very rushed and leaves more than one plot thread hanging. It's obvious that there was to be a test of wills between Tiffany and Ms. Earwig, but that got set aside. Geoffrey was a great character but, ultimately, he was just set dressing. And there was so much more that the Queen could have done.

Overall, The Shepard's Crown was pretty good. It's no Night Watch, Small Gods, or Reaper Man, but it was way better than some, like Raising Steam, which is one of the few Discworld books I actively dislike.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Reene posted:

I shed a little tear in the beginning of the book when Granny Weatherwax died.

I actually had to take a pause from reading it when I realized that that was gonna happen. And I really liked the part where various Discworld characters reacted to that. Also, Esk has a son. There's potentially another sourcerer around. As others has said it it's not a perfect book but its still a great way to finish the series. Its the only book where I almost cried at the end, both because it is the last Discworld story and because Pratchett loving nailed the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Alhazred posted:

Also, Esk has a son. There's potentially another sourcerer around.

Only if she had eight of 'em. Esk is sensible, I'm sure she wouldn't do that.