Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Tekopo posted:

Not sure why they have giant turds on their shoulders :v:

Must be the fabled huge scrunts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Please stop effort posting about how heroic the nazis were in the bad mini thread.

This is so close to actually being cool.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Attestant posted:

This is so close to actually being cool.

No one has explained what it is, so how could it be cool? In order to be cool, you have to be some*thing*.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Mugaaz posted:

No one has explained what it is, so how could it be cool? In order to be cool, you have to be some*thing*.

A big lump of greenstuff that's supposedly a Forgefiend

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Improbable Lobster posted:

A big lump of greenstuff that's supposedly a Forgefiend

But the greenstuff looks like a rotting orange.

EDIT:

The comparison isn't flattering. Only makes me want to get a Knight even harder (never gonna happen, lol, GW prices).

MORE EDIT:

The other, Staryu inspired suit on the right, is somewhat better. Lol at the Red Faction Guerilla drones, tho.

JcDent fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Oct 9, 2015

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

the difference between making soviet inspired and nazi inspired armies is that its possible to imagine a communist society that isnt a terrifying dystopia where ethnic minorities are slaughtered en masse whereas thats a fundamental part of nazi ideology

E: is that the new official tau paintscheme? What happened to tan??

Phoon fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Oct 9, 2015

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Phoon posted:

the difference between making soviet inspired and nazi inspired armies is that its possible to imagine a communist society that isnt a terrifying dystopia where ethnic minorities are slaughtered en masse whereas thats a fundamental part of nazi ideology

E: is that the new official tau paintscheme? What happened to tan??

It's somehow worse in orange/tan:

I'm getting the pics from here

JcDent fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Oct 9, 2015

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Can't get over how redundant the little head is

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Can't wait to get my hands on that huge rigid cannon and the two bulbous missle pods at the base.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
FFS it can't even see directly in front of its camera, let along anything at a negative elevation. Unless these walk around always pointed 45 degrees down staring at the ground, they can't even waddle around without tripping over something.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

A+ gap filling there.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Skellybones posted:

FFS it can't even see directly in front of its camera, let along anything at a negative elevation. Unless these walk around always pointed 45 degrees down staring at the ground, they can't even waddle around without tripping over something.

The cannon in level and excited positions are two distinct guns in the rules. The making GBS threads position is the "anchors" being use that let it fire twice in one turn.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

JcDent posted:

The cannon in level and excited positions are two distinct guns in the rules.

I really, really hope this is how the rules refer to the distinction.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Do the Tau even have an artillery unit like the Basilisk? Given how big a hard on they have for practical, sensible military tactics and technology, they should have a bunch of indirect fire units. Nobody wants to see an obese blind drunk robot with erectile dysfunction, let's see their Katyusha hovertruck, or some bizarre cannon-thing the Kroot made after eating an Imperial Guard ordinance officer.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Sky Ray is their missile truck. Tau are so much advanced, they evolved past indirect, unguided fire. They're all expensive planes and stupid "crisis suits" anyways. Even the Broadside suffered a redesign that took double shoulder mounted railguns and put it in its hands.

Eh, what do I know, I hate Tau.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They should have poo poo loads of katyusha trucks, only instead of dumb rockets they fire poo poo loads of laser guided smart missiles that can be directed to key targets by a few marker-drones or scout suits.

But that would be sensible

JcDent
May 13, 2013

goatface posted:

They should have poo poo loads of katyusha trucks, only instead of dumb rockets they fire poo poo loads of laser guided smart missiles that can be directed to key targets by a few marker-drones or scout suits.

But that would be sensible

Arguing sensibility in battletactics on 40K is a slippery slope.

In design, not so much.

Strange how Tau have so few units, yet so much release bullshit. Like, Firewarriors almost feel like they're not a thing anymore. Then again, Marines haven't been Marines for some time...

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Not a games company. Line infantry don't look as good on a shelf as super-elite special forces types.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

goatface posted:

Not a games company. Line infantry don't look as good on a shelf as super-elite special forces types.

Oh, my bad! I get it know. I'll start saving up for the Supremacy suit so that it would one day crush both my future cat and future kid when it topples over.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
Would any of you nerds wish to buy single plastic chaos dwarfs?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

KingFisher posted:

Would any of you nerds wish to buy single plastic chaos dwarfs?

This thread would be most interested in your OOP evil stunties

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

JcDent posted:

Strange how Tau have so few units, yet so much release bullshit. Like, Firewarriors almost feel like they're not a thing anymore. Then again, Marines haven't been Marines for some time...

I do keep hearing that Tau is the second best selling army after Marines so the release bullshit is explainable.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Well, they have some appeal on their own without the game to lean on and make themselves interesting.

At a distance, you can't really tell IG aren't just lovely historical minis with bath-tub-toy tanks. Tyranids used to be cool but are now just tentacle monsters that fell down in a carapace factory. Orks look like trash on purpose (I don't mean 'bad', I mean, they look like they wear and ride in junk, which is fine, but serves to make them kind of uniform and uninteresting in appearance).

DE and Eldar kind of appeal to me a lot. So it's a little wierd that they don't sell better--especially now. I guess the bright spots in their lines are outshone by the boring or outmoded parts. Though now they're pretty much totally updated...

Maybe it just comes down to the fact that Marines and Tau are showcased in paint schemes that are simple and seem achievable. Whereas everyone else, as a standard of their 'look' has got amazing decal/freehand work, flesh, cloth, or weathering that is integral to their look. Anybody can put two colors on a suit of armor and wash it.

Probably part of the reason things like scouts and kroot never got crazy popular.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Probably part of the reason things like scouts and kroot never got crazy popular.

Sniper Scouts is the worst GW box I've ever seen.

I like GW, but their non-Cadians need an update, badly, maybe except for Vostroyans.

I don't think Eldar are that hard to paint. Find two colors, paint armor one, panels the other. Don't even need imagination for Aspect warriors, they're all the same. The last update left them severely OP and they should be popular, and some people say they were never really glass canons.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

JcDent posted:

I like GW, but their non-Cadians need an update, badly, maybe except for Vostroyans.
All the metal IG are great models, I just wish they'd make them plastic. The plastic IG need some updating though. I don't hate the Cadian kit and the old Catachan kit has a doofy charm about it, but those two kits pale in comparison to their respective command squad kits, which are genuinely pretty great.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

JcDent posted:

Sniper Scouts is the worst GW box I've ever seen.

Elaborate on this please, I'm genuinely curious as to why.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

JcDent posted:

It's somehow worse in orange/tan:

I'm getting the pics from here

Those mold lines, god drat

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Where are they? I can't see them.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

Kavak posted:

Where are they? I can't see them.

On the bottom of the giant shoulder cannon.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

SRM posted:

All the metal IG are great models, I just wish they'd make them plastic. The plastic IG need some updating though. I don't hate the Cadian kit and the old Catachan kit has a doofy charm about it, but those two kits pale in comparison to their respective command squad kits, which are genuinely pretty great.

Ya sure? Vostroyans are great and Steel Legion looks nice, but Valhalans, Tallarn and Mordians could use some work with their size and lasguns.

I'd also like to see both old Guardsmen kits upgraded - both the Colonial Marines Cadians and Scooter Helmet Guardsmen from the 6+/5+ agains explosions flak armor days (how did people play guard with 6+?). They have that 80s charm.

I have a squad of Cadians I only have two criticisms: lack of special weapons (sold separately, lol) and having to paint faces (I can't).

goatface posted:

Elaborate on this please, I'm genuinely curious as to why.

In my short and rather not illustrous career as a person who flails arms in the general direction of miniatures and complains about painting, I have bought a box of Cadians, a box of Marines, a BT Conversion kit ("but how can I make my Marine squad twice as expensive), a Chimera, an Emp's Champ (had to send me a new one, finecast, lol) and a box of Scout Snipers.

Why would you have your Scouts with any other weapon? Why can't it just be a box of scouts? Because GW likes money, I guess.

You can't assemble 5 camocloak sniper dudes. Unless I somehow mismatched the contents of the box, you get 4 sniper dudes (3 with camo cloaks, one of the necessarily kneeling) and a rocket launcher dude. Virtually no posability, because butts are basically matched to torsos. You have two leftover sniper rifles. Might as well glue them to a WHFB dude, since most of the guns also have arms up to the elbows (as opposed to the arm and shoulder thing usual with 40K).

One of your dudes is going to be this idjit who's just standing there arms spread wide, scopeless rifle in one hand, and scope in the other. Tactical spying action (didn't get issued binocs) or a recruit from a primitive world venting his frustration with technology? You decide!

As usual, the kit has grenade pouches and poo poo. I opted not to take them because there's really no good place to stick them on without cluttering the model up. It also has several choices of heads. Most of them have Splinter Cell NVGs that need to be glued to the head (why couldn't they just cast them?). Except for the launcher guy, he gets a Data/Robocop visor. Nothing else would fit.

Comes with an ork and nid skulls. I put my skull on my Champ because the pistol holsters that Champs come from definitely don't have bolt pistols in them.

Oh, and maybe I missed that in fluff, I thought that SM use different sniper rifles than Guardsmen. This is an issue because the rifles are just pimped out lasguns. Seriously, same model, down to random gun bobs and bits on the side,, just with poo poo attached through Blender.

The end result is that you can't really assemble the models like you want, it fucks with WYSIWYG, and there aren't many exciting bits that I could apply to other minis/3D scan for nefarious purposes.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

JcDent posted:

Ya sure? Vostroyans are great and Steel Legion looks nice, but Valhalans, Tallarn and Mordians could use some work with their size and lasguns.
I've painted over 100 metal Valhallans over the past few years and a platoon of the 2nd ed metal Cadians. I'd say I'm sure! They're not truescale by any stretch (and that was never the point) but they're great minis with a lot of character. Yeah, I'd like it if they had modern lasguns but the base models and the details on them have held up pretty drat well and I'd love to see them get the plastic treatment. Victoria Lamb has teased Valhallans a few times, but she's only recently gotten her not-Cadians off the ground and they're looking great.
http://victoriaminiatures.highwire.com/products?search=arcadian

JcDent
May 13, 2013

SRM posted:

I've painted over 100 metal Valhallans over the past few years and a platoon of the 2nd ed metal Cadians. I'd say I'm sure! They're not truescale by any stretch (and that was never the point) but they're great minis with a lot of character. Yeah, I'd like it if they had modern lasguns but the base models and the details on them have held up pretty drat well and I'd love to see them get the plastic treatment. Victoria Lamb has teased Valhallans a few times, but she's only recently gotten her not-Cadians off the ground and they're looking great.
http://victoriaminiatures.highwire.com/products?search=arcadian

Well, they're certainly Colonial Marines, but Lamp is FW Expensive, so that's little consolation for me.

Heh, even she makes Taurox conversion kits, of course she does.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SRM posted:

I prefer the Catachan Command Squad kit over the Cadian one because the former one feels like they've learned something from. I know I've harped on this in the normal 40k thread before but the Cadian kit feels very boring in its poses. Meanwhile the Catachan kit has a bunch of good poses like the banner that's actually not starched to hell and back. Not to mention the weapon options in it are a lot better too than the Cadian one.

JcDent posted:

I have a squad of Cadians I only have two criticisms: lack of special weapons (sold separately, lol) and having to paint faces (I can't).

The only way to get plastic Special Weapons for Cadians is still using the HQ box because of all the armies IG is still the one with the largest amount of metal models more or less available. All of the Cadian special weapons troopers are still metal, not even sure they released those guys in finecast for that part.
The second part could just be solved with their gasmasks. Those small triangle things that no one really uses.

Still wish for plastic Kasrkin over the Scions though. As much as I love the bitz overload you somewhat get with those guys they still don't have anything against the stockiness and just sheer coolness of the Kasrkin.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

Still wish for plastic Kasrkin over the Scions though. As much as I love the bitz overload you somewhat get with those guys they still don't have anything against the stockiness and just sheer coolness of the Kasrkin.

Kasrkin are just boss and should have gotten their own plastic release.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
One for the Batman fans, this is Killer Croc painted up as part of a Harley Quinn/Joker crew. To be fair I think it was intended humorously...

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
Any protips for cleaning awful bold paint from GW plastic? Green stuff works well on metals but no so much on these chaos duradins.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

KingFisher posted:

Any protips for cleaning awful bold paint from GW plastic? Green stuff works well on metals but no so much on these chaos duradins.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Works great on paint, but it did a number on my hands. Use gloves unless you enjoy the skin peeling off your fingers for days.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Use Biostrip20. Non-toxic, non-irritant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Fearless posted:

Works great on paint, but it did a number on my hands. Use gloves unless you enjoy the skin peeling off your fingers for days.

Yeah, chemical burns are no joke and it can happen with Super Clean but it really is the best stripper I could find in the US. Biostrip isn't available here, to my knowledge.