Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
There's kind of a useful rule of thumb in medicine: "Cure-alls cure nothing". Anyone who thinks they've discovered some miracle breakthrough procedure or medicine that they then apply to every single problem they come across is always -- always -- full of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Imagined posted:

There's kind of a useful rule of thumb in medicine: "Cure-alls cure nothing". Anyone who thinks they've discovered some miracle breakthrough procedure or medicine that they then apply to every single problem they come across is always -- always -- full of poo poo.

Reminds me of this guy:

http://www.snotr.com/video/3938/Dragons_Den (sorry, no youtube link that I could find)

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Reminds me of this guy:

http://www.snotr.com/video/3938/Dragons_Den (sorry, no youtube link that I could find)

I really like that he misspelled tons of the disease names

Indegestion, prostrate...

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Frostwerks posted:

We really loving should drag these fuckers legacies right through the loving mud because it's what they goddamn deserve.

gently caress yeah. I'm going to post in the Post Your loving Favorite Unnerving Article thread, and spread the word about these god drat loving pieces of poo poo.

Degenerate Star
Oct 27, 2005
unlikely

Vladimir Poutine posted:

a 4 year old child

What could have a 4 year old possibly have been doing to make anyone think that the best solution was to ice pick them in the brain??

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

What the gently caress is this poo poo?! :psyduck: I have a soft spot (I can't think of a better term, sorry) for this sort of thing, as my son had gone through a comparatively minor amount of stress when he was born (contractions lowered his heart rate significantly), and it might have caused a slight delay in his development, but he's doing really well now. Hearing about this is a nightmare; it's like your child has all of the chances in the world (especially being a Kennedy), and this simple act robs them of almost everything. Add the lobotomy to that, and holy poo poo :smith:

Why was this done?

From the article:

quote:

But when Rose went into labor with Rosemary, the doctor was not immediately available. Although the nurse was trained to deliver babies, she nonetheless tried to halt the birth to await the doctor’s arrival.

Gotta keep this natural process from happening until the big cheese is here!

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Reminds me of this guy:

I was thinking "god, they're being gentle" and then he asks "why" and gets what he deserves.

Very much on-topic, black salve.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cansema

I read some long article about it a while back but I'm not sifting through the horrible google results to find it. Long story short: "all-natural cancer cure" not only doesn't cure cancer, it eats gaping wounds in your body.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

RNG posted:

Long story short: "all-natural cancer cure" not only doesn't cure cancer, it eats gaping wounds in your body.

Yeah, well to its credit, cancer has never actually sprung into existence from the void that is a gaping hole, so that's one more bit of body area volume that'll stay cancer free! Stuff Works! Checkmate established medical community!

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

gently caress yeah. I'm going to post in the Post Your loving Favorite Unnerving Article thread, and spread the word about these god drat loving pieces of poo poo.

Fine, honor them.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Frostwerks posted:

Fine, honor them.

The icepick lobotomy guy died miserable and guilt-ridden as it slowly dawned on him that he wasn't helping anyone and was actually ruining tons of lives.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Jack Gladney posted:

The icepick lobotomy guy died miserable and guilt-ridden as it slowly dawned on him that he wasn't helping anyone and was actually ruining tons of lives.

I'm glad for it.

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_tide

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
http://lateralscience.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/galvanic-experiments-on-dead-body-of.html

The second bit on the page, Galvanic Experiments on the Dead Body of a Criminal (who had been hanged for murder one hour previously.)

quote:

A considerable incision was at the same time made in the left hip, through the great gutteal muscle, so as to bring the sciatic nerve into sight, and a small cut was made in the heel; the pointed rod connected with one end of the battery was now placed in contact with the spinal marrow, while the other rod was applied to the sciatic nerve. Every muscle of the body was immediately agitated with convulsive movements resembling a violent shuddering from the cold; the left side was most powerfully convulsed at each renewal of the electric contact.

There's more. This "experiment" was carried out in public. Some spectators had to leave and one observer fainted, because scientific inquiry can be some creepy-rear end poo poo.

It also makes me wonder, if they had hit the brain with electricity, would this corpse have experienced flickers of consciousness in the midst of full body seizures? loving hell, the things I end up reading before bedtime.

shelley
Nov 8, 2010
Short answer "no", long answer "hahahaha no".

Similar experiments were done pretty regularly on non-human dead animals; if you run enough electricity through a dead thing to replace what the brain cannot do anymore, the corpse will twitch. It's a little weird to see.

Also, you're gonna flip your poo poo when you see that gif of pouring soy sauce over a dead octopus. (The sodium makes its muscles contract!)

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

But did he have an icepick rammed up his eyesocket while this was happening?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I remember learning about this in biology, it was a big deal in Alaska because people ate so much shellfish. Clams I think were the ones in particular that stored up the toxin that causes the paralytic shellfish poisoning. My biology teacher described for us in detail what happened when it took effect and how it probably felt to die from it :stonk:

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy

Puppy Time posted:

From the article:

To touch on this a little more, I believe it's Laurence Leamer's book The Kennedy Women (very good, btw) which has a quote from Eunice Kennedy. She mentions that the doctor in those days also didn't get his "full fee" if the baby came while he wasn't there.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

shelley posted:

Short answer "no", long answer "hahahaha no".

I kinda figure, but try telling that to the part of my brain that writes my nightmares. It's totally irrational and won't listen to reason at all.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
This may have been speculation or hyperbole, but I also recall something about Rosemary just being a "normal" (perhaps comparatively dim or the same as her siblings) but having been rebellious and sexually precocious, marking her for extra scrutiny and criticism. Seems possible with the whole "wandering the streets, vulnerable to men" comment on the wiki, or potentially caused by bipolar disorder and acting out.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Not sure if it's been posted in this thread or not, but I dug this article up for a friend today and thought it would be right up the thread's alley.

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/myths-over-miami-6393117

A look at the semi-religious folklore of homeless kids in Miami back in the nineties.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

cptn_dr posted:

Not sure if it's been posted in this thread or not, but I dug this article up for a friend today and thought it would be right up the thread's alley.

A look at the semi-religious folklore of homeless kids in Miami back in the nineties.
That is amazing and heartbreaking.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Filox posted:

http://lateralscience.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/galvanic-experiments-on-dead-body-of.html

The second bit on the page, Galvanic Experiments on the Dead Body of a Criminal (who had been hanged for murder one hour previously.)

There's more. This "experiment" was carried out in public. Some spectators had to leave and one observer fainted, because scientific inquiry can be some creepy-rear end poo poo.

It also makes me wonder, if they had hit the brain with electricity, would this corpse have experienced flickers of consciousness in the midst of full body seizures? loving hell, the things I end up reading before bedtime.

Fortunately (or unfortunately), that's not how consciousness works. Hell, we don't even really know how it works, just how to make it stop working. We're really good at that though.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Filox posted:

I kinda figure, but try telling that to the part of my brain that writes my nightmares. It's totally irrational and won't listen to reason at all.

I've got a cure for that, here look at this icepick and whatever you do don't sneeze.....

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

This may have been speculation or hyperbole, but I also recall something about Rosemary just being a "normal" (perhaps comparatively dim or the same as her siblings) but having been rebellious and sexually precocious, marking her for extra scrutiny and criticism. Seems possible with the whole "wandering the streets, vulnerable to men" comment on the wiki, or potentially caused by bipolar disorder and acting out.

Because heaven forbid that a Kennedy want to have sex with lots of people, right

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Filox posted:

The brain basically breaks down right away after death.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

Because heaven forbid that a female Kennedy want to have sex with lots of people, right

FTFY

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The brain basically breaks down right away after death.

I used to work in a funeral home and brains actually MELT at room temp once they're dead. You'd try to pick up the brain slices the pathologist left you and they just schlurp right through your fingers.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Sex Hobbit posted:

I used to work in a funeral home and brains actually MELT at room temp once they're dead. You'd try to pick up the brain slices the pathologist left you and they just schlurp right through your fingers.

Now I have a half-amusing, half-unsettling image of the brain as a self-aware entity that is constantly straining to just barely hold itself together, and as soon as it loses consciousness the whole thing literally falls apart.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Sex Hobbit posted:

The texture is something between undercooked scrambled eggs and butter that's been softened in a warm room. All of my experience with brains comes from pigs, but it's amazing that something so fragile (and frankly, just one big ball of fat) is so powerful.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Sex Hobbit posted:

Was talking to my brother on the phone when I thought I'd check this thread. I read him this and I swear I could hear him turn green. :v:

(Schlurpy stuff doesn't bother me. He loving hates it.)

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RNG posted:

I was thinking "god, they're being gentle" and then he asks "why" and gets what he deserves.

Very much on-topic, black salve.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cansema

I read some long article about it a while back but I'm not sifting through the horrible google results to find it. Long story short: "all-natural cancer cure" not only doesn't cure cancer, it eats gaping wounds in your body.

Was this the poo poo that someone almost lost their nose to?

Fake edit: Yup.

http://reasonablehank.com/2013/02/18/meryl-of-the-family-dorey-versus-the-tga-with-a-little-help-from-her-friend/

http://www.oneanswertocancermovie.com/articles/bill_oleary_story.htm

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

cptn_dr posted:

It wasn't just homeless kids who were terrified of Bloody Mary in the mid 90s. I'd forgotten all about that. If you stood in a dark room with a mirror in it and said her name three times, she'd appear and pull you through the mirror with her.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I remember being absolutely terrified as a young child trying that out for the first time.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I don't know how widespread it was but I remember a more morbid offshoot of Bloody Mary back in the 90's, Blue Baby. It had a similar setup, going into a dark room, look into a mirror, and say its name three times and then you summoned it and it killed you, though you also had to rock your arms back and forth in a cradling motion. Blue Baby was supposed to be some baby that died or was killed.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
I hate it when people scoff at the bloody Mary thing, because while I don't believe in ghosts, it is based on a real optical illusion, so people do see "something". Just not a ghost.
It's something like this

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006

Puppy Time posted:

From the article:

Same thing happened to my grandmother when she was giving birth to my mom. The doctor was on a smoke break so they tried to get her to wait. Luckily no damage resulted.

Good thing we don't live in those unenlightened times! Now docs just hustle you into a c-section to keep their tee times.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

WaywardWoodwose posted:

I hate it when people scoff at the bloody Mary thing, because while I don't believe in ghosts, it is based on a real optical illusion, so people do see "something". Just not a ghost.
It's something like this

WTF :gonk:

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Listen, your brain is a lazy rear end in a top hat, and will make up poo poo at the drop of a hat if it is unsure or bored.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

WaywardWoodwose posted:

It's something like this

This is loving me up something fierce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

I wish it was possible to take a picture of the peripheral-vision versions of those pictures, they crack me up every time.