Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

nollij posted:

A little AutoX would do a lot of these chumps a lot of good. Would also put some humility into them when they get beat by a CRX by 10 seconds.

This is why I could never get into AutoCross. I went to a local event once just to check it out and the course was just so tight that the Corvettes get beat by CRX's and the CRX's get beat by go-karts. It just made me want to sell my Corvette and get a go kart. Although if there were separate lanes for go karts I would totally commute in one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Isn't 5 seconds off from a pro .. good?

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

davebo posted:

This is why I could never get into AutoCross. I went to a local event once just to check it out and the course was just so tight that the Corvettes get beat by CRX's and the CRX's get beat by go-karts. It just made me want to sell my Corvette and get a go kart. Although if there were separate lanes for go karts I would totally commute in one.

I could never get into Autocross because it's about 3 minutes of seat time in second gear and 3 hours of shagging cones.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

That's what I love about RallyCross instead of AutoCross. Most everyone is out to just have some fun sliding around in the dirt and mud and show up driving all sorts of silly stuff. Yeah we want to put down the best times we can, but it's crazy fun regardless of how fast or slow you are. Other than a small handful of people it's not terribly competitive and people are just having a good time being car nerds together rather than nitpicking rules and comparing tire selections. It's also a lot more fun to watch than AutoX while working the course. And going 40mph in dirt and gravel feels a fuckload faster than 40mph in a parking lot.

There are still people who are super serious about laying down good times, like the guys who are mostly using RallyX as practice and shakedown for stage rally. But those guys are super fun to watch and talk to because they typically know what the gently caress they're doing.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 7, 2015

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

PCOS Bill posted:

Isn't 5 seconds off from a pro .. good?

I would be pretty happy with that.

James May didn't even do that well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5rpFXdWtK4

Also...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQJKQjXpGQA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KiC03_wVjc

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Octopus Magic posted:

I could never get into Autocross because it's about 3 minutes of seat time in second gear and 3 hours of shagging cones.

It's cheap. Good enough for me.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Phone posted:

Not really, they'd blame the tires or something. Idiots never admit defeat, they double down on something unrelated.

Latest example from Miata.net: some dude did a bad A/B test at Laguna Seca in his "spec" Miata and his brand new ND Club. Randy Pobst turned a 1:50.xxx in the ND for Motor Trend and this guy couldn't breach 1:55; he did turn a mid 1:50 in his "spec" Miata. He posited that maybe Randy Pobst, professional race car driver, might be a better driver than him; however, he's extremely curious about what tires Pobst was on...

Except you know... His fake Spec Miata is 4+ seconds off of the pace at Laguna Seca and being 5 seconds slower than a professional race car driver might not be down to the tires.

Definitely the tires.

This behaviour is a raging inferno in the motorbike world.

It was totally cold tyres and not me target fixating into a tree because I don't know how to turn the bike, no way!

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Octopus Magic posted:

Best bang for your buck is karting. I did two years of Autocross and it always seemed like I never had enough seat time. Once you have a kart and equipment you can honestly run a season of karting for under $3k, which includes running practice sessions once or twice a week.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Slavvy posted:

It was totally cold tyres and not me target fixating into a tree because I don't know how to turn the bike, no way!

My favorite excuse that I've heard was on a VW GTI board where some guy blamed traction control for why he almost sideswiped an old couple in a sedan while taking a sick-nasty interstate on ramp at speed. And why he almost dumped the car into a river in a different incident.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

My favorite is that guy with the eclipse who threw his car into reverse at 165, and assumed he just wasn't going fast enough so he went and bought 2 bottles of nitrous. the big ones.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Uthor posted:

My favorite excuse that I've heard was on a VW GTI board where some guy blamed traction control for why he almost sideswiped an old couple in a sedan while taking a sick-nasty interstate on ramp at speed. And why he almost dumped the car into a river in a different incident.

my favorite of course, comes from nasioc

quote:

yesterday in woodbridge i slipped on some water at about 12 MPH when my turbo decided to engage on some slick water spot before i shifted into 2nd... I was only going about 12 MPH and needless to say im VERY PISSED...

my car slid out and by the time i pushed in the clutch and put on the brakes i already hit a ford expedition parked on the side of the road...

it was the same idiot who drove it through someone's house

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

1500quidporsche posted:

Best bang for your buck is karting. I did two years of Autocross and it always seemed like I never had enough seat time. Once you have a kart and equipment you can honestly run a season of karting for under $3k, which includes running practice sessions once or twice a week.

Karts are biased against fat people (also tall people).

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

BraveUlysses posted:

my favorite of course, comes from nasioc

it was the same idiot who drove it through someone's house

That was gold that NASIOC thread, the owner of that WRX saying the car overpowered it brakes, and how he could not turn the motor off.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

The best part is the 12mph turbo spool.. Forever will I remember that.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Slavvy posted:

I rode along with a novice in a Mk4 Golf that was heavily boosted. I gave him advice to look ahead and to keep his eyes up, but the mother fucker wouldn't shut up about tires.

I didn't do it, I should have, but I wanted to drive his car once and just blow his time out of the water and look like some autocross god amongst the plebs because I kept my eyes up and didn't saw at the wheel.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
For those of us that don't autox, what does keeping your eyes up do? You mean like watching the track and not the gauge cluster?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

veedubfreak posted:

For those of us that don't autox, what does keeping your eyes up do? You mean like watching the track and not the gauge cluster?

Lots of novices will look 2 or 3 feet in front of their car rather than further down the track/course. The further down you look, the more time you have to prepare and the smoother you can be. If you're looking only 2 or 3 feet in front of your car every move you make is a panic move so you brake later, saw at the wheel to correct over/understeer, etc. If you look further down you can get the car in the right spot, be smoother with the throttle, the wheel, and the brakes, and get better times.

Plus when you're looking 2 or 3 feet in front of you you're probably looking at cones, and target fixation will make you drive into them rather than looking further up.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 8, 2015

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
What Gutbomb said. Looking 6ft in front of your car is loving useless because you literally cannot do anything to change your trajectory.

In order to be fast regardless of the sport, you need to not focus on where you are right now. It is useful at times to know where you are right now, but by focusing on where you want to go, you can "be ahead" and choose your trajectory versus trying to fight it.

It's a difficult thing to learn and it takes time. If anyone says that they went to an autocross and was immediately good is full of poo poo.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Phone posted:

What Gutbomb said. Looking 6ft in front of your car is loving useless because you literally cannot do anything to change your trajectory.

In order to be fast regardless of the sport, you need to not focus on where you are right now. It is useful at times to know where you are right now, but by focusing on where you want to go, you can "be ahead" and choose your trajectory versus trying to fight it.

It's a difficult thing to learn and it takes time. If anyone says that they went to an autocross and was immediately good is full of poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZe5J8SVCYQ

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Phone posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWaq0zOaAVU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

You Am I posted:

That was gold that NASIOC thread, the owner of that WRX saying the car overpowered it brakes, and how he could not turn the motor off.

Man that thread is probably why I own a Subaru. OH NO A HAUSE

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think there's a bad reason to own a Subaru

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

you posted that one and not this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0XSIl5JlWk

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Holy crap that's a lot of cones!

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Replacing highway pegs like they're knee pucks is a cool thing to do. I think the cops that get into those competitions train all year to go to some regional/national competition if I'm remembering correctly.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
My car's alignment from the factory is MEDIOCRE as all hell:

Factory spec for camber is -1.1 to +0.8 :stare:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Replacing highway pegs like they're knee pucks is a cool thing to do. I think the cops that get into those competitions train all year to go to some regional/national competition if I'm remembering correctly.

I know how it ends though, they get in their first high speed chase and end up knocked off balance by the escaping villain and eat poo poo into the back of a parked car.

All that effort just for a couple seconds of gratuitous violence doesn't seem worth it. :colbert:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

The Locator posted:

Holy crap that's a lot of cones!

Kind of explains why cops on the street see the user in all of us.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
I'm out on Vancouver Island for the next few days and Budget gave me an orange Prius C as a rental. Look at this stupid piece of poo poo:

Rear view mirror is really low, have really poor rear visibility. Engine is gutless, there's never any feeling of having torque, when the gas engine is engaged it feels like its always at 6k rpm in top gear but there's no tach so beats me. No cruise control. Constantly makes weird noises from the hybrid systems. The one thing it almost does well is when you're done driving it will tell you your average fuel economy and how much the trip cost. gently caress you Prius, you dont know how much I paid for gas! I averaged 4.1l/100km yesterday, in my TDI I probably would have gotten around 5.3l/100km on the same trip and gotten a lot more enjoyment out of the drive.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Uh it's a prius. Being gutless is its defining trait.

And when you fill up the tank, it will ask you the price of the fuel and that's how it estimates the trip cost. You can also set the cost per gallon/liter manually in the preferences screen.

Also that orange color owns.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Ok, then it does have one cool feature. Haven't gassed it up yet. Also, if you must drive a Prius, don't take it on highway 14 beween Sooke and Port Renfrew, the lack of fun you will have on such an awesome driving road will make you really pissed off and bitter.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
How on earth does a Prius come without cruise control? That's seriously an option? Was that model intended exclusively for city dwellers?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

david_a posted:

How on earth does a Prius come without cruise control? That's seriously an option? Was that model intended exclusively for city dwellers?

You can't hypermill with cruise control. If they were smart it was a option to remove it and save weight.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

david_a posted:

It would have to be some kind of crappy fleet version. The base model comes with cruise control standard.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

david_a posted:

Yeah, the C is the 'City' model.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well I'll be, they actually have a model with no cruise control.

http://www.toyota.com/priusc/features/interior/1201/1203/1205/1207

What a goofy move. The ECU is still going to support it, I guess they felt like the $100 they'd save wiring up a stalk was worth it. Maybe they wanted to be able to say they had an option "below $20,000".

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

That makes way more sense than what I thought:

c = car = smaller
v = van = bigger

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

neckbeard posted:

I'm out on Vancouver Island for the next few days and Budget gave me an orange Prius C as a rental. Look at this stupid piece of poo poo:

Rear view mirror is really low, have really poor rear visibility. Engine is gutless, there's never any feeling of having torque, when the gas engine is engaged it feels like its always at 6k rpm in top gear but there's no tach so beats me. No cruise control. Constantly makes weird noises from the hybrid systems. The one thing it almost does well is when you're done driving it will tell you your average fuel economy and how much the trip cost. gently caress you Prius, you dont know how much I paid for gas! I averaged 4.1l/100km yesterday, in my TDI I probably would have gotten around 5.3l/100km on the same trip and gotten a lot more enjoyment out of the drive.

Not for much longer! :laugh:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Safety Dance posted:

That makes way more sense than what I thought:

c = car = smaller
v = van = bigger

i think C for compact (compared to the original which is a midsize) but yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Linedance posted:

Not for much longer! :laugh:

Diesel is dead, long live diesel!

Hybrid and electric manufacturers are probably giggling uncontrollably in their board rooms right now with the way this emissions thing keeps spreading around the industry.

Though there's probably a few engineers nervously double-checking their code.