Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I dunno, I spent about 1.5k replacing half a dozen hundred year old double hung windows, and that was just for cheap(er) windows and vinyl trim. Seeing how it's all put together, I can see how poo poo would get expensive fast, especially as there's probably no standard measurements, so you've gotta reframe or custom build stuff.

Though after seeing the horrible things water and carpenter ants will do if your sill wasn't installed properly (aka a painted piece of lumber that slopes back towards the house), I'd be putting in modern vinyl windows on the sly anyways. Wood as a trim material is a terrible idea, as far as I'm concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
But the historic value!

*pops an aneurysm trying to screech a stuck window open*

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Nowadays cellular pvc comes in sheets and boards, while you can also buy all sorts of vinyl trim. Sills and other pieces could be made out of material that doesn't give a gently caress about water. And the modern wood windows are remarkably resistant to moisture and penetration, which is part of the reason why they cost so much.

Also, I think it's best to point out, that most people buy ~$200 3x4' window at Home Depot and think that's what windows cost. In reality, anything outside standard box size, goes up in price dramatically. Non-vinyl materials increase that price as well. And bay and round top windows are in the league of their own.

I've worked on a job site, where we installed 2 windows to the tune of 30k. It took 8 people and a small crane. And then some guy traveled from 2 states away to wrap it in copper

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

Laminator posted:

But the historic value!

*pops an aneurysm trying to screech a stuck window open*

In that vein my aunt and uncle have a beautiful old Victorian home in an historic district. They built an addition to the house and used concrete shingle siding on the addition for its durability and cost savings over wood shingles. So they want to re-do the entire house using the concrete shingles, except the historical society will absolutely not budge on letting them even after a demonstration in which the historical society members all agreed that there is no way to tell the difference between the two. The head of the committee even went so far as to tell them "well if you can't afford wood shingles maybe you shouldn't have bought a house in the historic district!"

So the front of their house is unpainted and looks more and more dilapidated every year as my uncles' personal form of protest against the whole bullshit situation, which I'm sure really drives up the housing market in the area.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Not exactly crappy construction.

My mom is having a fake stone wall and the crappy wood burning fireplace taken out and replaced with much nicer stuff. Not to mention legal, after we got the house my dad and grandpa closed off the chimney, and sawed it off internally. Then when the roof was redone some years after that he had the external bits removed too. So the fireplace just continued to sit there for 20 years in this state, maybe this is a crappy construction story after all...

But anyway, all the old poo poo has been demoed out now. We found this in the wall:

For a can from 1978 it's in great condition, even cleaner than it looks.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Casimir Radon posted:

But anyway, all the old poo poo has been demoed out now. We found this in the wall:

For a can from 1978 it's in great condition, even cleaner than it looks.

But how did it taste?

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
Worth something to someone, you could probably flog it.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Probably more than one person on youtube willing to drink it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It's actaully empty. There were a bunch of crushed ones back there too.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

New and exciting Chinese building material failure: extraordinarily flammable aluminum cladding.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1801571

quote:

CSIRO scientists in Australia tested this building material. And the cheaply imported aluminium cladding from Melbourne’s fire-damaged Lacrosse tower was so flammable they had to abandon combustibility tests after only 93 seconds to avoid damaging their equipment

Thankfully the class of materials has been largely banned for use in >3 story buildings in the US for quite some time.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
The building made from aluminum that had already caught on fire caught on fire again? Wow, who could have predicted that!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3Y3Rw773Ok

:stare:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

packetmantis posted:

The building made from aluminum that had already caught on fire caught on fire again? Wow, who could have predicted that!

The issue isn't aluminum (which can technically burn in regular air but isn't exactly easy to get started unless you maximize its surface area:volume ratio), but that the aluminum cladding panels are two sheets of aluminum sandwiching a flammable plastic core. That's what's burning, the aluminum is just really hot falling debris.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 8, 2015

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Calling bullshit on this Blade Runner screencap.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Phanatic posted:

The issue isn't aluminum (which can technically burn in regular air but isn't exactly easy to get started unless you maximize its surface area:volume ratio), but that the aluminum cladding panels are two sheets of aluminum sandwiching a flammable plastic core. That's what's burning, the aluminum is just really hot falling debris.

So Aluminum and a polymer binder? Sounds like rocket fuel!

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

TasogareNoKagi posted:

So Aluminum and a polymer binder? Sounds like rocket fuel!

Don't give them any ideas. Soon we'll get nu-luminum lightweight panels, made like those polymer + sawdust plasticwood products, just with polymer & powdered aluminum. :supaburn:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Boat posted:

Don't give them any ideas. Soon we'll get nu-luminum lightweight panels, made like those polymer + sawdust plasticwood products, just with polymer & powdered aluminum. :supaburn:

Better add some iron oxide for coloring.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Boat posted:

Could we add some titanium and/or magnesium as well?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Better add some iron oxide for coloring.

This guy knows what's up.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

CopperHound posted:

This guy knows what's up.

you should put a road flare on the top like a birthday candle!

and maybe 400 or so pounds of concrete.

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
My buddy messaged me the other day about a house he was renovating after a fire damaged part of it. They were pulling out parts of the ceiling in a room and were greeted with a rain of dildos falling out. I'm assuming they were under a bedroom and that there weren't just a dozen dildos stashed away between floors.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

killhamster posted:

My buddy messaged me the other day about a house he was renovating after a fire damaged part of it. They were pulling out parts of the ceiling in a room and were greeted with a rain of dildos falling out. I'm assuming they were under a bedroom and that there weren't just a dozen dildos stashed away between floors.

You know what happens when you assume, friend.

I think ceiling fan dildos are more likely, honestly.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

NancyPants posted:

You know what happens when you assume, friend.

I think ceiling fan dildos are more likely, honestly.

Those free range dildos are the worst.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

killhamster posted:

:ohdear: Once they compromise the structural integrity like that, you're hosed.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

oldskool posted:

I'm visualizing earthquake-absorbent footers made entirely of old dildos... :barf:

Goredema fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 10, 2015

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

oldskool posted:

Huge black carpenter dildos will chew through wood like a plague...

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Huge black carpenter dildos will chew through wood like a plague...

They're attracted to all the knots in the wood

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

killhamster posted:

It's raining members! :v:

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
I recently became the Tenant of a 8400Sq. Ft. office building that served as the Headquarters of a Local NE Ohio Newspaper from the late 1870's to September of 2012. The oldest part of the building was built in 1858, by a Farrier that leased horses and wagons to the federal government for the Cleveland-Ravenna and Mentor-Ravenna mail routes. It did a short stint as a mortuary/funeral parlor in the early 1870's. The Ravenna Republican newspaper moved in the the late 1870's.

Already I've found Stab-Lok subpanels everywhere, a mystery light switch in the basement that cuts the lights in the break room upstairs, A secret Trap Door in the floor of one of the offices, Staircases to nowhere, twistlok 240V outlets on the second floor for an NCR Mainframe Computer + "Hard Disk Unit," two big rear end Anemostats in the first floor ceiling that blow no air, and a creepy rear end boiler room that flooded last year. (the boiler was above the water line, thank god)

I'll keep the thread updated as I uncover the crazy that lies within these walls.
Or, would it be better if I started a dedicated thread?

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Oct 11, 2015

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Well you are in Alliance/Ravenna or whatever shithole town that building is in , based on the 44 sign I assume its not Kent :shrug:

But I'm not far away from where that is probably, so I guess I can't complain.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

Sylink posted:

Well you are in Alliance/Ravenna or whatever shithole town that building is in , based on the 44 sign I assume its not Kent :shrug:

But I'm not far away from where that is probably, so I guess I can't complain.

Ravenna. We're trying to make things better. The town has good bones but far too many problem people renting downtown and idiots in city government. Your city's best downtown rental properties probably shouldn't be rented to habitual drug offenders with no incentive to get treatment/help, even though there is a city statute prohibiting such behavior and supposedly offering free treatment/rehab.

Our roof was covered with spent Tracfones and broken crack pipes from the apartment buildings/literal bed-in-a-room flop houses on either side when we moved in. This is going to change mighty quick. I guess you could call it rust belt gentrification.

We're turning this place into a Recording Studio, Coffee Shop/Bookstore, incubator office space, and an apartment for my business partner, his Fiance, and our other Partner on the second floor.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Oct 11, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Good luck; I hope the financials work out.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

One good thing about the building. It came with a dog!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

LeJackal posted:

One good thing about the building. It came with a dog!

loving owns.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Since this is the de facto concrete thread, I'm just gonna cross-post this here since it didn't get covered in the fix it fast thread:

Bad Munki posted:

I recently pressure washed my porch, steps, and driveway. It's concrete. Do I need to do any followup? Reapply some sort of sealant or something? Winter's coming, I don't want my driveway to explode or burn down or whatever happens if I don't do what I'm supposed to.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

MullardEL34 posted:

Ravenna. We're trying to make things better. The town has good bones but far too many problem people renting downtown and idiots in city government. Your city's best downtown rental properties probably shouldn't be rented to habitual drug offenders with no incentive to get treatment/help, even though there is a city statute prohibiting such behavior and supposedly offering free treatment/rehab.

Our roof was covered with spent Tracfones and broken crack pipes from the apartment buildings/literal bed-in-a-room flop houses on either side when we moved in. This is going to change mighty quick. I guess you could call it rust belt gentrification.

We're turning this place into a Recording Studio, Coffee Shop/Bookstore, incubator office space, and an apartment for my business partner, his Fiance, and our other Partner on the second floor.

NE Ohio loves having drug dens right next to its court house districts - see Canton.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
We don't go to Ravenholm Ravenna.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Hmmm.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Owns owns owns owns

MullardEL34 posted:

I'll keep the thread updated as I uncover the crazy that lies within these walls.
Or, would it be better if I started a dedicated thread?

You're totally welcome to post in here of course but I would certainly subscribe if you started a dedicated thread. Not just for old building fuckery but also whatever work you do there, and maybe show that old computer stuff too because it's cool as heck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002