Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

FunOne posted:

If only that kind of information was listed in the specs of the device.

The 5X has one and it's not on the google play spec sheet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Reverse Centaur posted:

Some sites say it does (I think they mean the flash LED), some say it doesn't, I can't find a video or photo that shows the light. Maybe instead of being a sarcastic shitposter you could be helpful.

I hope it does (and I'm 99.9% certain it does, based on what I've read), I've had iPhones for four and a half years and I still miss those things. Makes me wonder if I would have developed the habit of checking my phone like junkie if I never lost that little colored light telling me if anything new happened on my phone.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Bring back the nexus one's trackball LED.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

DemonMage posted:

You could also just go flash the update manually, though by default that'll wipe your device.

Only if you flash the factory image - the OTA is literally the update you'll get over the air from your carrier, except you push it yourself

And goddamn it why did they remove the priority/silent mode 'until next alarm' option? It's exactly the same options pane except with that option missing, now you have to janitor your silent time to the nearest full hour instead of going 'keep quiet until the alarm goes off'. There's always something!

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

baka kaba posted:

Only if you flash the factory image - the OTA is literally the update you'll get over the air from your carrier, except you push it yourself

And goddamn it why did they remove the priority/silent mode 'until next alarm' option? It's exactly the same options pane except with that option missing, now you have to janitor your silent time to the nearest full hour instead of going 'keep quiet until the alarm goes off'. There's always something!

Android - There's always something!

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Battery life on my Nexus 5 has not improved since 6.0, I lost 15% of battery in 2 hours, during which the screen was only on for 10 minutes.

Is there another play store bug, or just teething problems with the OS?

Someone mentioned as Wifi bug...

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

How old is it? It could just be the battery dying which no software will fix

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Just updated to 6.0 tonight.

My remaining battery % is just... going up while idle. :shepface:.

The steep ramp at beginning was probably the "optimizing apps".

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

peepsalot posted:

It's about time the devs got around to cracking that perpetual energy thing

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Skarsnik posted:

How old is it? It could just be the battery dying which no software will fix

I bought one on release, but it got replaced with a whole new one after 6 months due to a mobile data hardware problem.

I then replaced the battery with a new, LG branded one from amazon earlier this year (maybe April or May).

Is there a battery health checker for android?

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

repiv posted:

If Google Maps is using the native API for voice it will be processed by Apples servers instead of Googles on iOS.

fwiw on iOS this is determined by if you started your voice search by tapping the mic icon in the search bar in Maps, or if you started voice dictation by tapping the microphone on the keyboard when that comes up. Tapping the mic icon on the search bar brings up google voice input, which should be the same as the android version, the latter starts Siri dictation. They'll likely give quite different results (there's no way to disable the siri microphone or make it go through the google voice service instead, btw).

If you are using the google voice search in maps it'd be worth checking your region/language settings for voice (hamburger menu->settings, voice is in there), they can make a big difference and IIRC the set of possible iOS region/languages does not map exactly to the set of android region/languages.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

WeAreTheRomans posted:

It's about time the devs got around to cracking that perpetual energy thing

:laugh:

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

bull3964 posted:

Honestly, it's a bit of a hypocritical stance to take decrying Chinese goods for potential spying concerns when the NSA routinely intercepts network equipment shipments to install hardware bugs in them.

Everyone is spying on everyone. Any anonymity you feel is pure illusion.

There's also something different about the NSA intercepting devices meant for you and adding surveillance capabilities vs. a company willingly participating in spying efforts, perhaps across an entire model. There can be a rather wide net cast in the latter.

The Nexus6P might be the most trustworthy version of that though - device images come from Google and the main bits are AOSP. You'll just have to resolve tinfoil hat concerns with the binary blobs that might exist in the image (e.g. baseband or wifi drivers).

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

MrBond posted:

There's also something different about the NSA intercepting devices meant for you and adding surveillance capabilities vs. a company willingly participating in spying efforts, perhaps across an entire model. There can be a rather wide net cast in the latter.

The Nexus6P might be the most trustworthy version of that though - device images come from Google and the main bits are AOSP. You'll just have to resolve tinfoil hat concerns with the binary blobs that might exist in the image (e.g. baseband or wifi drivers).

Well, Huawei are basically government owned as I understand it, and certainly no company operating in China is in a position to refuse anything the government wants anyway.

That said - you US folks should realise that the NSA == China in terms of spying for anyone in the rest of the world.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

peepsalot posted:

Estimated battery life takes in to account the temperature of the battery. Under higher temperatures lithium chemistry batteries will drain faster so as the phone cools down the estimated battery life will increase slightly.

This isn't magic and it's not some sort of secret.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

grack posted:

Estimated battery life takes in to account the temperature of the battery. Under higher temperatures lithium chemistry batteries will drain faster so as the phone cools down the estimated battery life will increase slightly.
Sure, there's also the recovery effect where batteries voltage will go back up when a load is removed. Though prior to 6.0 these subtle effects were hardly observable since battery was being drained at an insane rate all the time.

quote:

This isn't magic and it's not some sort of secret.
No but its still a miracle that Google seems to finally have a grasp on power management after 7 yrs of floundering.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Just got the Marshmallow OTA notification on my N5 on Rogers so looks like the OTAs are going out.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Literally no one cares about spying on your phone.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

So is there any app that can do what iPhones do with their Live Photos? I'm using an iPhone 6s right now and that feature is the coolest thing I've ever used on a phone. I have a one year old, so every picture makes me smile a little more seeing her moving and laughing. I don't want an iPhone though, so I'd rather find an android app that does it.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Tiny Lowtax posted:

So is there any app that can do what iPhones do with their Live Photos? I'm using an iPhone 6s right now and that feature is the coolest thing I've ever used on a phone. I have a one year old, so every picture makes me smile a little more seeing her moving and laughing. I don't want an iPhone though, so I'd rather find an android app that does it.

Windows Phones have done this for years. But it's a Windows Phone...

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Tiny Lowtax posted:

HTC Zoe. But you should probably just stick with your iPhone.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
And HTC had a camera mode called Zoe that did it, though I'm sure it differed from the iPhone implementation (not sure if Zoes had a still photo along with the short video?)

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/1...art-losing-them

Looks like people will start ignorant Moto as a good Android OEM due to what they did with the Marshmallow update.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Galaxy phones can, although their implementation differs somewhat.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/1...art-losing-them

Looks like people will start ignorant Moto as a good Android OEM due to what they did with the Marshmallow update.

We're not going to stop giving you money for screwing us right now, but if you keep screwing us later, we might just think about not giving you money.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Also, have the missing phones been confirmed as definitely not getting Marshmallow? I thought that list was just "here's the phones that are for sure getting M", not "here are the only phones we'll be updating". It's still very surprising that the 2014/2015 phones weren't on the list, but surely not a corporate snub of epic proportions?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

hooah posted:

Also, have the missing phones been confirmed as definitely not getting Marshmallow? I thought that list was just "here's the phones that are for sure getting M", not "here are the only phones we'll be updating". It's still very surprising that the 2014/2015 phones weren't on the list, but surely not a corporate snub of epic proportions?

Their update info blog said "we have plans to upgrade the following Motorola devices." I would assume that if anything, they would remove devices from that list as they deemed upgrades unfeasible, not add anything.

Meanwhile, the 2014 Moto X is on that list, but only the Pure editions. Scrolling down a few posts in this thread in their customer forum, the community manager issued an explicit statement to clarify that:

quote:

The carrier versions -- AT&T and Verizon -- will not get the upgrade.

So if you bought their 2014 device from a carrier, you are completely justified in being pissed off. Apple is sitting here updating a 2011 phone with iOS 9 and Motorola won't update a phone that you can still even buy.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Tiny Lowtax posted:

It's not the same really, but I usually use burst mode on my Moto X, and Google Photos turns that into a gif.

Really, all the things Google Photos does has been great for capturing moments with my daughter.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

kitten smoothie posted:

Scrolling down a few posts in this thread in their customer forum, the community manager issued an explicit statement to clarify that:

Oh, holy poo poo. Yeah, that's terrible.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

kitten smoothie posted:

Meanwhile, the 2014 Moto X is on that list, but only the Pure editions. Scrolling down a few posts in this thread in their customer forum, the community manager issued an explicit statement to clarify that:

So if you bought their 2014 device from a carrier, you are completely justified in being pissed off. Apple is sitting here updating a 2011 phone with iOS 9 and Motorola won't update a phone that you can still even buy.

Am I the only one who thinks a "community manager" probably isn't the final say in update plans? For one thing, I'd be surprised if Moto had a definitive list of phones that won't be updated yet, ya know? Anyway, it obviously isn't good that the carrier Moto X 2014 models and 2015 Moto E were left off the list, but I'm not yet buying that they are definitely not getting another major update :shrug: Seems far more likely an employee posted on a forum their interpretation, not the company's official line.

Edit: Hmm, looked at some of the community manager's comments and he mentions directly talking to like the Bluetooth team about someone's issue. Also clarified that the carrier 2014 X models will still get security updates. Not looking so good anymore, haha. Guy looks like a real employee, not like a glorified volunteer mod for a forum or something.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Oct 9, 2015

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yeah, on these sorts of customer-facing forums the "community manager" is an actual employee hired for that role, with authority to speak on behalf of the company.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I used Now On Tap yesterday to get directions. I was on a website that had an address listed but no map link, so I did it and it immediately opened maps with the address and it was super cool.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Motorola has made it kinda clear that they aren't interested in supporting carrier locked devices. So I'm not entirely surprised at the 2014 Moto X carrier locked devices not getting updates. I am surprised that they haven't announced whether the Moto E versions are. There might be hardware limitations, but I figured most of the internals were identical to the Moto G. Hopefully they mention they at least upgrade the Moto E's.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Something terrible has happened.

https://blog.lastpass.com/2015/10/lastpass-joins-logmein.html/

What will we use now? :gonk:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

BoyBlunder posted:

What will we use now?

LastPass.

I guess I'm missing something? Why wouldn't we continue to use LP?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

HolyDukeNukem posted:

Motorola has made it kinda clear that they aren't interested in supporting carrier locked devices. So I'm not entirely surprised at the 2014 Moto X carrier locked devices not getting updates. I am surprised that they haven't announced whether the Moto E versions are. There might be hardware limitations, but I figured most of the internals were identical to the Moto G. Hopefully they mention they at least upgrade the Moto E's.

This is also why I'm nonplussed at the news. There's been few if any reasons to buy a carrier-locked budget device for a couple years now because of how drat cheap stuff like the moto G and E are, not to mention the N5/6 and the X Pure, outside of wanting a $700 phone for $200 and those are flagships like the S5/6 and are probably getting updates anyway. It isn't worth the effort on Motorola's behalf to make snowflake builds full of carrier-spec bullshit for phones already operating with thin hardware margins (2014 X is maybe an exception but IIRC that wasn't exactly a high-priced phone) to cut cost.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Thermopyle posted:

LastPass.

I guess I'm missing something? Why wouldn't we continue to use LP?

LogMeIn as far as I can tell/remember has 2 strikes against it:

1) dece software but for idiots, also a security risk
2) bad mid-level business account pricing/support

Neither of which seems entirely relevant to LastPass. So I'm going to be neutral on this.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I was actually just looking at deploying LastPass. Makes me want to take a pass.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Internet Explorer posted:

I was actually just looking at deploying LastPass. Makes me want to take a pass.

But will it be your last pa*is yanked offstage by giant vaudeville hook*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Isn't 1 Password a pretty popular alternative?