Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

when your building plan has to incorporate passive protest suppression methods maybe you should consider a different line of business

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah like active protest suppression methods

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i dont know what a backsplash is

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

c SV s: so i found out from a public meeting w/ one of the clients for this big complete streets project that the reason there isn't currently a sidewalk network that attaches their corporate campus to the city's is b/c "they don't want protesters to be able to walk here and stand outside"

lol

""protestors""

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

fart simpson posted:

i dont know what a backsplash is

its a thing that goes behind ur sink/kitchen counters on the wall that is easier to clean than the painted wall. usually it is a similar material to the counter top, but not always. it makes for easier cleaning and prevents splashback from the sink from creating water spots or w/e

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

SO DEMANDING posted:

sometimes i watch garbage home-reno shows on DIY network because i guess i like to watch men do things with their hands and PBS doesn't always show this old house...and holy poo poo the cost of some of the "custom backsplashes" you see are hilariously absurd

metal subway tiles!! poo poo ends up somehow costing as much or more than the countertops

best part is most of the people doing this will never cook a meal in that kitchen

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
As expected, diesel cars from Renault, Nissan, Hyundai, Citroen, Fiat, Volvo and other manufacturers have been found to emit substantially higher levels of pollution when tested in more realistic driving conditions

eat fines, lawdodgers

quote:

The biggest polluters according to Adac’s own data are

Renault’s Espace Energy dCi 160 emitted over 11 times more NOx in the WLTC test, with Renault’s Grand Scenic and Kadjar also among Adac’s top 10 polluters. A Renault Group spokesman said: “The group complies with all regulations and legislation for the markets in which it operates. Its vehicles are not equipped with defeat devices.”

Adac found Jeep’s Renegade 2.0 emitted 10 times more NOx while other cars producing at least six times more NOx included Hyundai’s i20 1.1, Fiat’s 500x 1.6 and Citroen’s DS5 Hybrid4. “Hyundai Motor abides by the testing regulations and methods of each region where it sells cars including Europe,” said a spokeswoman. Citroen, Fiat and Jeep did not respond to requests for comment.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Shaggar posted:

its a thing that goes behind ur sink/kitchen counters on the wall that is easier to clean than the painted wall. usually it is a similar material to the counter top, but not always. it makes for easier cleaning and prevents splashback from the sink from creating water spots or w/e

oh. i just have a tiny apartment kitchen where 100% of the walls are tile

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

the CEO of VW claimed to Congress recently that it was rogue software developers who did this of their own accord, because what programmer doesn't love coding for regulatory compliance just for shits

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Broken Machine posted:

the CEO of VW claimed to Congress recently that it was rogue software developers who did this of their own accord, because what programmer doesn't love coding for regulatory compliance just for shits

Yeah, that's credible.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

I lust for small diesel death

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

turns out diesel is garbage for retards

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Shaggar posted:

shaggar's 2 for 2 today and it's only 10

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bhodi posted:

Yeah, that's credible.

lmao

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Bhodi posted:

Yeah, that's credible.

aaaaaaaaahahhaahahahahahahah

up against the wall

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

"i don't know where they got the idea to implement the circumvention from, all we did was tell them to do it or be fired"

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Bhodi posted:

Yeah, that's credible.

The reason is that their boss's boss all the way to the top told them to, duh.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Shaggar posted:

and flippers/designers keep using grouted tile for them because either they are loving idiots, they will never use the kitchen anyway, or they know how horrific grout is to keep clean but don't give a poo poo because they aren't the ones who will be cleaning it.

seriously why do people keep putting white grout in the kitchen and bathroom?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Shaggar posted:

Chevy just released their first diesel truck today too, good timing guys

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 9, 2015

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The party isn’t entirely over, but you can hear someone shouting “last call.”

Every couple of months I leave my small Massachusetts town — where most people still shop for their own groceries and drive their own cars — and head for the Bay Area. Suddenly, all of my cynicism and bubble worries are drowned out by the kind of unfettered optimism that only $1 billion valuations (on $0.00 earnings) can buy.

But not today. Not this time.

Since landing in San Francisco on Wednesday, I’ve met with an assortment of senior venture capitalists, bankers, entrepreneurs and crossover investors. All of them have, in one way or another, been involved with so-called ‘unicorn’ companies. As in the past, they are nearly unanimous in sentiment. The difference now is that their sentiment is fear.

The past several years of raising too much, too high, too soon has run smack into a much more conservative investor ethos. Later-stage tech startups can still raise growth equity — and still lots of it — but not necessarily at the terms they were receiving just two months ago.

“This shift is only five or six weeks old, so most companies haven’t felt it yet,” a senior tech banker explains. “But I know of many companies who raised money at $1 billion valuations last year that are now being told that, to raise money now, they need to take around $700 million or $800 million. Probably with some serious structure that protects investors, like ratchets, on top of it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Check just released their first diesel truck today too, good timing guys

diesel trucks are a different story since no one considers them clean

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Shifty Pony posted:

and flippers/designers keep using grouted tile for them because either they are loving idiots, they will never use the kitchen anyway, or they know how horrific grout is to keep clean but don't give a poo poo because they aren't the ones who will be cleaning it.

it's better than the fuzzy carpeted bathroom someone posted in the pics thread

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bhodi posted:

Yeah, that's credible.

i want that guy to go to jail. bad jail, not the country-club type

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

I enjyoed this reference, good job

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

FCKGW posted:

The party isn’t entirely over, but you can hear someone shouting “last call.”

Every couple of months I leave my small Massachusetts town — where most people still shop for their own groceries and drive their own cars — and head for the Bay Area. Suddenly, all of my cynicism and bubble worries are drowned out by the kind of unfettered optimism that only $1 billion valuations (on $0.00 earnings) can buy.

But not today. Not this time.

Since landing in San Francisco on Wednesday, I’ve met with an assortment of senior venture capitalists, bankers, entrepreneurs and crossover investors. All of them have, in one way or another, been involved with so-called ‘unicorn’ companies. As in the past, they are nearly unanimous in sentiment. The difference now is that their sentiment is fear.

The past several years of raising too much, too high, too soon has run smack into a much more conservative investor ethos. Later-stage tech startups can still raise growth equity — and still lots of it — but not necessarily at the terms they were receiving just two months ago.

“This shift is only five or six weeks old, so most companies haven’t felt it yet,” a senior tech banker explains. “But I know of many companies who raised money at $1 billion valuations last year that are now being told that, to raise money now, they need to take around $700 million or $800 million. Probably with some serious structure that protects investors, like ratchets, on top of it.

Lol. I still recall the guy who, when asked why his company should have a 1 billion valuation he responds with "because if we're not a billion dollar company we can't hire the right engineers".

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shifty Pony posted:

Grouted tile in the kitchen/bathroom is supposed to be a subtle way to imply you can afford housekeepers often enough to keep everything looking ok

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

graph posted:

aaaaaaaaahahhaahahahahahahah

up against the wall

nah, let's put him in a gas chamber and asphyxiate him with diesel fumes

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

prefect posted:

do they have particularly aggressive grass and shrubbery where the sidewalk would have been?

it's a four lane roadway w/ no shoulders or median, squeezed between an interstate onramp and a chainlink fence separating a light rail line

literally no place for peds to be - which is kind of a problem for this project since the city now wants bike and ped facilities here (due to pressure from the employees of said corporate campus)

it's p hilarious

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's a four lane roadway w/ no shoulders or median, squeezed between an interstate onramp and a chainlink fence separating a light rail line

literally no place for peds to be - which is kind of a problem for this project since the city now wants bike and ped facilities here (due to pressure from the employees of said corporate campus)

it's p hilarious

infrastructure lols forever

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's p hilarious

tell them to just drive like a normal person.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's p hilarious

could you make it three lanes with 2 alternating for rush hour

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's p hilarious

you could write a loving book with this.

or at least a solid article.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's p hilarious

Sounds like FB today

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

graph posted:

could you make it three lanes with 2 alternating for rush hour

currently the frontrunner of my designs (the client hasn't picked one yet) has them losing both of the lanes in one direction in order to provide a class 1 bike trail that allows peds

what this means is that all of the new development of this campus (they're expanding like crazy which is what spurred this project) will allow commuters into the campus from any direction, but commuters will be unable to go back the one of the two ways that they came in and get directly onto the interstate

there really isn't a good solution and the city basically hosed themselves (and by extension this campus) by allowing these campus developers to decide poo poo like NOPE NO PEDS when it all got built

oh yeah and since there's currently no ped facilities outside of this campus, the existing sidewalk just sorta ends at the light rail crossing - and doesn't have the necessary ADA detectable warning surfaces so i kinda wonder how blind people trying to walk off campus just don't get hit by trains (lol there are no blind people in SV)

H.P. Hovercraft fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 9, 2015

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Progressive JPEG posted:

Sounds like FB today

it's in sunnyvale, so you can probably guess who the clients are

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

A group of Uber drivers staged a protest outside the company's Paris office Friday morning over a recent reduction in rates across the French capital. As the French newspaper L'Express reports, the group of about 50 chauffeurs were demonstrating against a 20 percent fare reduction for the company's UberX service and a 25 percent cut for UberPool, which went into effect today. The protesters were eventually dispersed by police in riot gear.

Uber introduced the rate cut in response to recent promotional campaigns from French taxi companies, which have offered lower fares for young passengers and late night trips. The San Francisco-based company said it would compensate drivers for the difference over the next six weeks, writing in a blog post that the increased volume of passengers would ultimately boost their revenue. The post also noted that drivers in New York saw their hourly turnover increase by 50 percent following a similar fare reduction, but the drivers protesting this morning apparently aren't convinced.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if we cut rates you can make more money!!!*

*by driving twice as much

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Shifty Pony posted:

my apartment came with white grout and its not a big deal. takes liek 5 minutes to spray some bleach solution and scrub it like once every 2 weeks to keep it glistening. also good for inspecting my neighbors kitchens and judging them.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
the kitch floor also has grout, but thats big brown tiles and lighter brown grout. thats more laborious to scrub, but.. it must be done! and it feels good. to clean it. and to be clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

currently the frontrunner of my designs (the client hasn't picked one yet) has them losing both of the lanes in one direction in order to provide a class 1 bike trail that allows peds

is class 1 the lamest bike trail or the most blinged-out?

• Locked thread