Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I have been using the FdL for months now, and it's my baby. Now that power plant sniping has been nerfed I am swapping through various weapon loadouts to see what I like.

The nice thing about it is the speed. It can outrun almost anything else. The only things that can catch it (in a straight line) are Cobras and iEagles, and neither of them are much of a threat to it. The shields can be incredibly powerful with the right loadout as well.

Basically it gives you the luxury of being able to pick your fights. You can't be forced to stick with a fight that's not on your terms.

The jump range is complete poo poo, though, that is very true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

frank.club posted:

Sorry I almost got you killed

Haha, no worries. I found painite right after so it was worth it.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm LOLballs6969 on the Xbone if anyone wants to spaceship bro out and kill stuff.

Please do not critisize my xbl name.

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.
Whats the best way to get a pretty green prismatic shield with a minimum of pain

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Cheatum the Evil Midget posted:

Whats the best way to get a pretty green prismatic shield with a minimum of pain

Sign up for the anime princess faction and ignore it for a couple weeks. Then, go farm up 750 merits; this is easiest done with the largest and highest grade FSD you can afford and just interdict enemy powerplay faction ships for 30 merits each. Turn in your merits once you're over 750 and buy your shields next week. Then go back to ignoring powerplay.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Romes128 posted:

I'm LOLballs6969 on the Xbone if anyone wants to spaceship bro out and kill stuff.

Please do not critisize my xbl name.

I picked it up last night and flew around like a retard, ran out of fuel and jettisoned my ship into the sun. I am awful at landing just now as well, but still I made some space-bucks selling meat to the mafia.

Also how do you avoid frame shifting straight into the sun?

I'm Aramoro on XBone

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Aramoro posted:

I picked it up last night and flew around like a retard, ran out of fuel and jettisoned my ship into the sun. I am awful at landing just now as well, but still I made some space-bucks selling meat to the mafia.

Also how do you avoid frame shifting straight into the sun?

I'm Aramoro on XBone

Just turn away immediately coming out. You could also throttle down during the countdown, it won't register on the dash, but you'll come out of frame shift at a standstill.

Also turning off yaw and setting the right stick left and right directions to the mini thrust (like it's set with up and down) helped with landing a ton. The auto yaw setting messed me up a lot since I was mainly used to playing flight sims, and was accustomed to just rolling when I hit a direction instead of rolling + moving left or right.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
This is a friendly reminder to try to check the system map before you accept a job.

As it turns out, the system I was taking my Sidewinder to was 25LY away from where I was.

Then the station was a whopping 368,000LS away from where I jumped out.

...I ran out of fuel 1 minute away from the station. Goodbye 380,000 credit contract :(

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

H13 posted:

This is a friendly reminder to try to check the system map before you accept a job.

As it turns out, the system I was taking my Sidewinder to was 25LY away from where I was.

...I ran out of fuel 1 minute away from the station. Goodbye 380,000 credit contract :(

I really wish you could do short jumps in that situation. Like, is it an in-universe reason we have to fly 20 IRL minutes to some of these places instead of jumping there directly?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Agreed.

Also, why are suns so hot? Holy crap, I jumped into one system and basically watch my armour peel off around me. This game can be cruel when it wants to...

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Whoever missed the notice in laucher:

:siren: STOP EXPLORING :siren:

quote:

Hey guys,

Some of you may know that recently we upgraded the servers that host the exploration data.

Unfortunately we've identified some issues as part of this upgrade and we are advising that everyone stop exploring until we confirm it's safe to continue doing so.

We will be keeping players informed on this thread as we get more news.

I'm very sorry for the confusion caused.

Thanks,

Zac

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Romes128 posted:

Just turn away immediately coming out. You could also throttle down during the countdown, it won't register on the dash, but you'll come out of frame shift at a standstill.

Also turning off yaw and setting the right stick left and right directions to the mini thrust (like it's set with up and down) helped with landing a ton. The auto yaw setting messed me up a lot since I was mainly used to playing flight sims, and was accustomed to just rolling when I hit a direction instead of rolling + moving left or right.

Ah handy, I'm currently really bad at supercruising and coming out of supercruise at my destination, like it flashes up I should slow down but well after I should have started slowing down so I kinda obrit it trying to slow down to some reasonable speed nearby before cruising in.

I'll trying fiddling with the control as well, right now it's a pretty bumpy landing.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Aramoro posted:

Ah handy, I'm currently really bad at supercruising and coming out of supercruise at my destination, like it flashes up I should slow down but well after I should have started slowing down so I kinda obrit it trying to slow down to some reasonable speed nearby before cruising in.

I'll trying fiddling with the control as well, right now it's a pretty bumpy landing.

It's all about coming in at an angle and knowing your gravity wells.

Planets, suns, and other large space objects have large gravity wells that slow you down massively. Using this knowledge, you can chart your course to go well around them in a wide arc to maintain your speed, or sling around near them to act as an anchor to drag down your speed.

If you are going too fast (the little timer says 0:04 or lower) then when I like to do is pitch down at a 45 degree angle to my target. Then watch your distance in the lower left HUD. Keep your target at 45 degrees (right around the top of your cockpit's canopy) as you spiral into the target. While spiraling inwards towards your target, the gravity well of the nearby planet will work its magic to slow you down to the speed range you need to be in. I've found this to be much faster than the usual newbie "woooooops!" fly wayyy past it, turn around slowly, come back in a straight line, etc.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I was interdicted 3 times by a player in a python. I'm in an A-fit vulture and comfortably fled every encounter (I told him to eat poo poo every time and it was fun). How do those ships stack up though? Would I have been able to tangle with him if I'd gone for him? I'm a fairly confident dogfighter but I've never tanlged with a player python.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Sekenr posted:

gently caress. I made 47 jumps yesterday!

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

H13 posted:

They could make an actual use for Nav Beacons here by letting you lock onto them instead of a star.

But then again this is a company that think it's 'cute' for people to make a 3 day journey to Hutton Orbital.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Whaa? That sucks. I can't 'stop exploring' because I'm thousands of LY from known space.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

QuantaStarFire posted:

I really wish you could do short jumps in that situation. Like, is it an in-universe reason we have to fly 20 IRL minutes to some of these places instead of jumping there directly?

I think that the best compromise would be to be able to micro-jump between the first order gravity objects in a system. For example, the reason that some stations are very far from the jump point in a system is simply the fact that your ship uses the biggest mass in a multiple star system for the jump point, and the station is orbiting another star inside the system.

I think the way to alleviate this without making SC completely pointless would be to give us the choice of doing micro-jumps from one massive object to the other inside a star system AFTER we have entered at the largest mass entry point. This would both make sense in lore (your nav computer cannot jump to a smaller objects inside a multiple object system from light years away), and serve to cut those lengthy trips by a very big margin.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sekenr posted:

Glad I haven't even started yet. Guess I'll rig my Asp for mining or something.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Strategic Tea posted:

Whaa? That sucks. I can't 'stop exploring' because I'm thousands of LY from known space.

Play CQC until poo poo's patched, shouldn't be too long.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

chaosapiant posted:

Play CQC until poo poo's patched, shouldn't be too long.

They don't even know yet what the issue is, so I remain sceptic. :colbert:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Did they add some higher paying missions? Did a simple courier mission of illicit goods for 3 1/2K. Got interdicted after the first jump, and since I sold my Cherry Red Cobra for a Galactic Dump Truck (type 6) I immediately got shot out of frame-shift and my butt fired on until I was down to 55% health. I have no shields because what kind of miner/trader needs that poo poo. I still managed to limp away, and make the other 12 hops to my destination and make a tidy profit. Using a space-warehouse makes for some more intense moments because like a true horror game, you can't really fight back. TLDR, game owns boners.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
Methinks this leaked out of the Newsletter early.

:magical:

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go

Braben did post it to the forum himself.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

When I first played ME1 years ago, this is what I truly wanted out of video games. Can't wait to do this in VR.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

chaosapiant posted:

When I first played ME1 years ago, this is what I truly wanted out of video games. Can't wait to do this in VR.

But will you be able to drive 90 degrees up a hill?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Is it just me or ships and ship effects like thrusters look significantly worse in CQC than in normal game? It is very noticeable when they show you your killer

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Sekenr posted:

Seriously? I'm 14k Ly out and have been exploring with all my free time the past couple days. This is going all the way down the toilet?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

This is going to be so much damned fun.

This is also why I'm waiting to go exploring. Imagine a small rocky planet in close orbit with a trinary set of suns all in close orbit. Screenshot potential is going to be great.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I hope at some point planets with atmospheres and water allows us to go fishing. I want to be an interstellar fisherman.

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go

Sekenr posted:

Is it just me or ships and ship effects like thrusters look significantly worse in CQC than in normal game? It is very noticeable when they show you your killer

I read between the lines of a Frontier dev somewhere that CQC uses different graphics code than the main game. Reason appears to be that the main game makes only 30fps on XBone; this way they get CQC to do 60.

In other words, thanks consoles.

Edit: I haven't played CQC, yet, so it might still be just you.
Edit2: The main game makes only 30fps on my PC as well, ofc, so I should not complain. Maybe it's even dynamic - do you have a "good rig" (as in, actually good)?

double riveting fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 9, 2015

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

:magical:

This needs to be reversed with 'Also sprach Zarathustra' immediately.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
That planet reveal is pretty poor, it's just a Perlin noise heightmap with a single texture and randomised rocks for clutter?

Even what we think of as single-environment worlds like Mars and the Moons have stuff like craters, chaos terrain, lava plains, canyons, dunes and different colours of regolith, even Kerbal managed a lot of that and that was a tiny indie game with a few newbie developers. It's nice to see not everywhere will have a thin atmosphere though, I was expecting them to rely on that to obscure distant LoD, like in Skyrim.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

double riveting posted:

I read between the lines of a Frontier dev somewhere that CQC uses different graphics code than the main game. Reason appears to be that the main game makes only 30fps on XBone; this way they get CQC to do 60.

In other words, thanks consoles.

Edit: I haven't played CQC, yet, so it might still be just you.
Edit2: The main game makes only 30fps on my PC as well, ofc, so I should not complain. Maybe it's even dynamic - do you have a "good rig" (as in, actually good)?

Yes I do, gtx 980 and everything else on pretty much same level.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

RubberJohnny posted:

That planet reveal is pretty poor, it's just a Perlin noise heightmap with a single texture and randomised rocks for clutter?

Even what we think of as single-environment worlds like Mars and the Moons have stuff like craters, chaos terrain, lava plains, canyons, dunes and different colours of regolith, even Kerbal managed a lot of that and that was a tiny indie game with a few newbie developers. It's nice to see not everywhere will have a thin atmosphere though, I was expecting them to rely on that to obscure distant LoD, like in Skyrim.

Seriously? You're going to whine about their first showing of an asteroid sized world not being diverse enough?

Give it some time.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008

Met posted:

Seriously? You're going to whine about their first showing of an asteroid sized world not being diverse enough?

Give it some time.

Procedural generation means all of the worlds will be generated with the same algorithm though, I can safely judge based on this one because every rocky vacuum world will look exactly like that, maybe with faint atmospheric haze.

I think there should be at least some interesting terrain to look at rather than just Perlin noise - it doesn't need to be quite Minecraft Amplified levels of interesting rock formations, but something, and literally a single texture for something the size of ten Earths is kind of ridiculous.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
loving blow a gasket about an accidental reveal months before release.

Never mind that they just wanted to show off the functional bits and they still have months to pretty things up. Nope! Have to go furiously type up criticisms at the first conceivable opportunity because it isn't absolutely perfect yet.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You are a prime example of the reason they don't show off changes until the last possible moment. Why would anyone want to deal with the neckbeard making GBS threads on it before it's ready to go?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

RubberJohnny posted:

Procedural generation means all of the worlds will be generated with the same algorithm though, I can safely judge based on this one because every rocky vacuum world will look exactly like that, maybe with faint atmospheric haze.

I think there should be at least some interesting terrain to look at rather than just Perlin noise - it doesn't need to be quite Minecraft Amplified levels of interesting rock formations, but something, and literally a single texture for something the size of ten Earths is kind of ridiculous.

You make a lot of assumptions based on a 20-second video of some prototype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
WHAT IS THIS? A PLANET FOR ANTS?

• Locked thread