Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I played a game of 7th. It was cool and a good time and my robo army shot lots of lasers at aliens.

I am easily entertained

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Terrific work! Is that the original model? If so, the sculptor hosed up the scale because it looks like a really tiny, cute creature in a large scale miniature rather than a small scale miniature of a towering monstrosity.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

DeadGame posted:

Is that Tau hit location chart in the death thread real? None of the sites are chattering about it.

It's for a separate, WD-only minigame that you can 100% ignore. Don't tell the death thread that though.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I really need to get back into the game. :/ I haven't played in earnest since March mostly due to lack of time in general.

BuffaloChicken, your Tyranids continue to own bones. Would your friend be willing to produce some of that terrain again for sale, because those fargates look awesome and that terrain would generally be great for both 40K and Infinity.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

What do you guys think of this:

I'm planning on making a mold and casting a bunch of copies for my Thousand Sons, because gently caress freehanding that 40 times.

Does the logo look to big for the shoulderpad?

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Looks spot on mate

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BuffaloChicken posted:

The goon posting has been really disappointing of late, spiraling into an ever-deeper cycle of whining with no solutions since Age of Sigmar, but shout-out to SRM for being an awesome positive hobby light. I'm converting up some new Catachan snipers, and one guy has a Taurox driver head. In honor of your Valhallans and sweet Taurox minis, I'm gonna give the guy a red star on his shoulder.

Been having more fun and getting more games of 40k in than ever before in my ten+ years in the hobby, so genuine condolences to everyone not having the same!
It's an honor! Maybe some day he can kill the Chaos cultist that's based on your Catachans:

I just figure to be the ham you want to see in the world. I love this game, I love playing it, and I want to put that out there and have other people can do the same. Yeah, it's far from perfect, but I enjoy it a lot and I've met some of my best friends through it. Beats bitching about it on the Internet for 8 hours a day.

Also that Necron table looks dope even for how basic it is, and I'm glad the rest of your group is just as into making crazy cool terrain as you are.

Hixson posted:

What do you guys think of this:

I'm planning on making a mold and casting a bunch of copies for my Thousand Sons, because gently caress freehanding that 40 times.

Does the logo look to big for the shoulderpad?
Looks good!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

BuffaloChicken posted:

My reason for neglecting personal hobby time has been helping all my friends get their armies off the ground. I'd share a lot more photos of crazy battles and fun minis, but my prehistoric computer hates Photobucket so I've given up on uploading battleshots besides our gaming group's secret Facebook group. I did upload this one picture, which a friend took of his Necron terrain. All of this was made in the past few weeks - he works with laser cutters professionally, so has been terraining up a storm since getting into the hobby. Next step is to make it "prettier" (right now it's pretty boxy and functional) and add LED lights.

I was in this game. Fun times. Here are some lovely cameraphone photos:

Deployment! One guy was using star wars models/toys as proxies for an Eldar army. I have mixed feelings about this, since nothing in his army is really the right footprint size/height, but on the other hand he's a cool dude and he's not giving GW money.

I was playing Khorne Daemonkin, giving them another shot. They're pretty fun so far, and fared better in this game, where I had Necron fire support. The game was Necrons + Orks + Khorne Daemonkin vs. Eldar + Dark Eldar + Mechanicus. This was also my first game against Mechanicus, which was interesting. I ran the Blood Host detachment with the Slaughtercult formation, so I was rolling in blood tithe points most of the game. My 5-man possessed squad started looking at the portal.

Later on they dropped onto some Sicarian Infiltrators, who promptly beat their dicks in. The rules for those loving things are insane.

That was OK though, because my dreadnought then walked back through this portal, ended up behind them, charged them, and murdered the bejeezus out of them. Before the game, we decided that some portals were linked, so you had the option to either move through portals that were linked, or you could roll to emerge from a random portal.

We were playing objectives, which are the blue markers on the terrain here. The two far gates were also connected, as seen here. I had 8 blood tithe points on turn 3, so I went ahead and summoned a bloodthirster, who got his rear end wrecked by Dark Eldar shooting.

We also had quite a few flyers this game, though the two Necron Doom Croissants did most of the heavy lifting on our end, wiping out the Eldar/Dark Eldar flyers. My land raider almost got blown up on turn 1 when Buffalo Chicken's brother rolled a 6 to seize the initiative, then a 6 to hit, a 6 to pen, and a 6 for damage in a row. Fortunately, the Land Raider passed its cover save so I didn't have to burn the building down. It went on to shoot a flyer out of the sky with its heavy bolters and then dump out some Terminators, who wrecked a bunch of mechanicus chodes.

The Necron player dropped out his C'Tan on Turn 2, which is shown here, proxied. As you can also guess, the C'Tan did not live long after this photo was taken, but it was cool as hell.

At the end of the game, we were able to capture 4 of the 6 objective markers, securing victory for the forces of Chaos/Hooligans/Weeaboo Robits. Fun times, even though big games of 40k are not really my jam these days.

BuffaloChicken posted:

The goon posting has been really disappointing of late, spiraling into an ever-deeper cycle of whining with no solutions since Age of Sigmar, but shout-out to SRM for being an awesome positive hobby light. I'm converting up some new Catachan snipers, and one guy has a Taurox driver head. In honor of your Valhallans and sweet Taurox minis, I'm gonna give the guy a red star on his shoulder.

Been having more fun and getting more games of 40k in than ever before in my ten+ years in the hobby, so genuine condolences to everyone not having the same!

We've been mulling over a new game mode that we should try that's similar to the old Hydro maps from TF2. Also, you should try the latest house rules revision next time we hang out, or at least try out the shared turns dynamic... makes things way more interesting and solves almost all of the assault/reserves issues. It's also possible to play without changing most of the other rules, if you're really concerned about that.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 8, 2015

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
What are these magic house rules you speak of?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

BuffaloChicken posted:

The goon posting has been really disappointing of late, spiraling into an ever-deeper cycle of whining with no solutions since Age of Sigmar

Actually a bunch of solutions have been posted already - kings of war, warmachine, malifaux, infinity, frostgrave, bolt action, warpath, and many more! The problem is that folks ITT are looking for a solution that involves still playing warhammer, and games workshop has made it clear they're simply not interested in producing a well-thought out, thoroughly playtested miniatures game. Sorry the answers aren't what you're looking for, but them's the breaks.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

JesusIsTehCool posted:

What are these magic house rules you speak of?

We've been playtesting some house rules for about a year now that play around with the turn structure and change a bunch of rules. They need an update, but if you want to try the latest revision of them, shoot me an email (my username @gmail). If you wanted to try just the stripped-down cliffnotes version, the current version has turn order use shared turns that still go Movement -> (Psychic*) -> Shooting -> Assault, but players alternate activating one unit in each phase, according to which player has The Initiative (determined at the start of the game, based on army strategy rating** or a die roll). The player with the Initiative moves second and shoots/charges first.

So basically it's I move a unit, you move a unit, etc. until both players pass moving (once I pass movement, I cannot move anything else), then I shoot-you shoot, then we declare charges, starting with me, and resolve each, and you do two full rounds of combat in the Assault phase, resolved normally with no charges in-between. Units being charged can choose to either fire overwatch or take a counter-charge, in which case they just count as charging in the first round. Charging bonuses only apply to the first fight sub-phase. A unit with Counter-Charge can fire overwatch and then get +1 attack, but doesn't count as charging.

This has 3 major consequences:
- You can now easily do battles with more than 2 sides, you just add more players into the rotation. We did a 3-player game that was pretty fun.
- You can assault out of deep strike or reserves or on turn 1. This isn't an issue as you will always have the chance to shoot a unit that has moved into charge range by virtue of the turn structure.
- You now no longer dread winning an assault the turn you charge, because you'll have a chance to move after the combat before shooting happens.

There are a ton of other rules we have been testing out, but those are the basics if you want to play with pretty much all the codex content intact.

*We hate this phase and are working on an alternative, so it doesn't really occur in our games. Hypothetically, you'd each roll for power points, create one large pool of charge, and alternate casting powers.
**A borrowed 2nd edition concept. You can just roll at the start, otherwise the general strategy rating goes Space Marines > Eldar/Tau > CSM/Dark Eldar/Necrons > Imperial Guard/Mechanicus/SoB/Knights > Tyranids/Daemons > Orks

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 8, 2015

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

Age of Emperor

Cant wait

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

TheChirurgeon posted:

We've been playtesting some house rules for about a year now that play around with the turn structure and change a bunch of rules. They need an update, but if you want to try the latest revision of them, shoot me an email (my username @gmail). If you wanted to try just the stripped-down cliffnotes version, the current version has turn order use shared turns that still go Movement -> (Psychic*) -> Shooting -> Assault, but players alternate activating one unit in each phase, according to which player has The Initiative (determined at the start of the game, based on army strategy rating** or a die roll). The player with the Initiative moves second and shoots/charges first.

So basically it's I move a unit, you move a unit, etc. until both players pass moving (once I pass movement, I cannot move anything else), then I shoot-you shoot, then we declare charges, starting with me, and resolve each, and you do two full rounds of combat in the Assault phase, resolved normally with no charges in-between. Units being charged can choose to either fire overwatch or take a counter-charge, in which case they just count as charging in the first round. Charging bonuses only apply to the first fight sub-phase. A unit with Counter-Charge can fire overwatch and then get +1 attack, but doesn't count as charging.

This has 3 major consequences:
- You can now easily do battles with more than 2 sides, you just add more players into the rotation. We did a 3-player game that was pretty fun.
- You can assault out of deep strike or reserves or on turn 1. This isn't an issue as you will always have the chance to shoot a unit that has moved into charge range by virtue of the turn structure.
- You now no longer dread winning an assault the turn you charge, because you'll have a chance to move after the combat before shooting happens.

There are a ton of other rules we have been testing out, but those are the basics if you want to play with pretty much all the codex content intact.

*We hate this phase and are working on an alternative, so it doesn't really occur in our games. Hypothetically, you'd each roll for power points, create one large pool of charge, and alternate casting powers.
**A borrowed 2nd edition concept. You can just roll at the start, otherwise the general strategy rating goes Space Marines > Eldar/Tau > CSM/Dark Eldar/Necrons > Imperial Guard/Mechanicus/SoB/Knights > Tyranids/Daemons > Orks

This is cool. I like this. I resigned myself long ago to liking the ghost of GW Past and am one of those hated hams who is happy to house rule the poo poo out of my games and still by GW products, so I would be keen to try stuff like this.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
As much as people shout dont give GW money, warhammer is a pretty neat beer and pretzels game. Just get some hams together and have fun.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
The thing about 40k is that it's actually a bad game. I get my kicks from the hobby side of it, and I try to get games in as much as I can, because it's a social thing where we pound beers and talk poo poo, but I actually kind of hate the act of playing 40k itself.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DJ Dizzy posted:

As much as people shout dont give GW money, warhammer is a pretty neat beer and pretzels game. Just get some hams together and have fun.

"It's a fine game when you are drunk" isn't exactly glowing praise.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Honestly, I don't know why you guys get so upset. I know I haven't been putting up with the rules and pricing shenanigans for years like you but the game is hardly what keeps me interested in 40k, it is the setting through and through, it is just cool and has really been given a glimpse of its potential by some real talented authors. There is plenty enough 40k based IP running around to really keep the universe alive even if GW packed ship tomorrow. Even then someone would buy the rights and things would continue. As we see with the new 31K series about Orks GW is going to spend years filling in the gap between Heresy and Age of Darkness before they need to worry about such things. Progressing the narrative is pointless much like putting an ending on Star Wars would be pointless, the Sith and Jedi will be at odds forever, it's all about introducing interesting characters along the way for fans to invest into.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

ANAmal.net posted:

The thing about 40k is that it's actually a bad game. I get my kicks from the hobby side of it, and I try to get games in as much as I can, because it's a social thing where we pound beers and talk poo poo, but I actually kind of hate the act of playing 40k itself.

Same--I have much more fun with the hobby side than I do playing. I still think it can be fixed with the right rules, though. Also the campaign was fun while we were still doing that. Before half the group dropped out and you guys lost the planet's capital city to Buffalo Chicken's Tyranid horde.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

TheChirurgeon posted:

Same--I have much more fun with the hobby side than I do playing. I still think it can be fixed with the right rules, though. Also the campaign was fun while we were still doing that. Before half the group dropped out and you guys lost the planet's capital city to Buffalo Chicken's Tyranid horde.

Yeah, the house rules are actually in a place that fixes the game up to be worth playing, but I still think I enjoy futzing with the rules more than I do actually playing. The campaign was a good idea, I'd love to pick that back up sometime if we can find less-flaky people to get in on it.

And the only reason we lost that city was because some rear end in a top hat gave BuffChix a card that brought his dumb boss monster with sword arms back from the dead on the last turn. Not that I helped much, all I did was immobilize myself on top of my own dead tanks and fail difficult terrain checks.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Uroboros posted:

Honestly, I don't know why you guys get so upset

I bet you play space marines.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I actually forgot he does play space marines since he doesn't have an av.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

ANAmal.net posted:

Yeah, the house rules are actually in a place that fixes the game up to be worth playing, but I still think I enjoy futzing with the rules more than I do actually playing. The campaign was a good idea, I'd love to pick that back up sometime if we can find less-flaky people to get in on it.

And the only reason we lost that city was because some rear end in a top hat gave BuffChix a card that brought his dumb boss monster with sword arms back from the dead on the last turn. Not that I helped much, all I did was immobilize myself on top of my own dead tanks and fail difficult terrain checks.

I think it had less to do with that card and more to do with some other rear end in a top hat losing his land raider on turn 1, then immobilizing his Rhino in an attempt to drive over it, then spending the rest of the game trying to walk across the board

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

DJ Dizzy posted:

you could just do the beer and pretzels part and replace the 40k part with a better game too but w/e :D

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Moola posted:

you could just do the beer and pretzels part and replace the 40k part with a better game too but w/e :D

Y'all got the death threads for this poo poo. Some of us actually like seeing BuffBunch battle reports and photos.

Some of you guys act like Mormon missionaries trying casually preach.

Nobody likes Mormons.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

DJ Dizzy posted:

Just a quick comprehension check on my part, isn't a "beer and pretzels game" defined by being rules light, easily accessible, and typically a short playtime? I keep hearing people refer to 40k as one, but I'm starting to think my definition might be wrong since it is the complete opposite of all of those things. And I like 40k.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Beer and Pretzels get top billing because those things are consistently enjoyable.

LingcodKilla posted:

Y'all got the death threads for this poo poo. Some of us actually like seeing BuffBunch battle reports and photos.

Aren't you the one who tried to bully Broken Loose out of the death thread for being negative last week?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Ignite Memories posted:

Beer and Pretzels get top billing because those things are consistently enjoyable.

Aren't you the one who tried to bully Broken Loose out of the death thread for being negative last week?

Key word. Death thread.

The emptiest of empty calories. I prefer to play my games with sashimi and chia-kale salads.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

TheChirurgeon posted:

I think it had less to do with that card and more to do with some other rear end in a top hat losing his land raider on turn 1, then immobilizing his Rhino in an attempt to drive over it, then spending the rest of the game trying to walk across the board

Hey now, I also had motorcycles driving across the board, but half of them fuckin' died from crashing into walls or some such bullshit.

Goddamn that game owned.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

ANAmal.net posted:

Hey now, I also had motorcycles driving across the board, but half of them fuckin' died from crashing into walls or some such bullshit.

Goddamn that game owned.

The one thing I'd change if I had to do that game again is I'd flip the board so BuffaloChicken had to cross the river. I think that was a bigger disadvantage.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Key word. Death thread.

Uh, yeah, that was my point. You tell people that complain in here to get out, then you go to the complaining thread and tell the people who complain in there to get out.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
I will say that the lack of rules has an appeal since the fuss, accounting, and stress of gathering together an army list and packing up all the minis is a hurdle. If it's my day off I just want to throw down some dice with some fun people. It would get so boring so quickly if I played it on a weekly basis, though.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Ignite Memories posted:

Uh, yeah, that was my point. You tell people that complain in here to get out, then you go to the complaining thread and tell the people who complain in there to get out.

Ok fine. I'm inconsistent. Now get out.

I want to hear ham stories and see pretty paint jobs. Got no loving clue what you are getting out of this.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Quit douching up the death thread and you've got yourself a deal. Til then, deal with it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Ignite Memories posted:

Quit douching up the death thread and you've got yourself a deal. Til then, deal with it.

Lol. Deal. I'll ignore the unbound GBS thread with a constant trails of posters all furiously jacking off on who can be the most anti-gw and you'll stop telling people to play other games than 40k in the thread living in the games subforum.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 9, 2015

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

LingcodKilla posted:

Ok fine. I'm inconsistent. Now get out.

I want to hear ham stories and see pretty paint jobs. Got no loving clue what you are getting out of this.

Jesus Christ dude, just shut up already. No one likes you and you should feel bad. I'm sure as hell not coming into this thread hoping to see people complain that other people want to complain about the game warhammer 40k in the warhammer 40k thread. I read this thread for discussion of warhammer 40k, both the good and the bad parts of it. If you want the thread to be more positive about how loving awesome 40k is, post about why 40k is awesome.

TheChirurgeon, I'm going to hit you up for those house rules. Do you find that it makes the game take longer with that turn structure, and if so, does having more to do help to offset the extra time? It seems like a real advantage would be that you're always engaged and not just rolling saves while checking facebook as the other guy shoots your stuff off the field for half the game.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Just a quick comprehension check on my part, isn't a "beer and pretzels game" defined by being rules light, easily accessible, and typically a short playtime? I keep hearing people refer to 40k as one, but I'm starting to think my definition might be wrong since it is the complete opposite of all of those things. And I like 40k.

Im probably using the term wrong. Beer and Pretzel means to me just a casual gaming experience with friends.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

drgnvale posted:

TheChirurgeon, I'm going to hit you up for those house rules. Do you find that it makes the game take longer with that turn structure, and if so, does having more to do help to offset the extra time? It seems like a real advantage would be that you're always engaged and not just rolling saves while checking facebook as the other guy shoots your stuff off the field for half the game.

It does seem to go quicker, but we've never timed it or anything, and part of the speed-up might be because most of our group picked up the game recently, so we're getting faster anyway now that we aren't checking the rules as often. It definitely feels more involved, since you aren't standing there on the other guy's turn, drinking beers for 30 minutes straight while you pick up models.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

drgnvale posted:

Jesus Christ dude, just shut up already. No one likes you and you should feel bad. I'm sure as hell not coming into this thread hoping to see people complain that other people want to complain about the game warhammer 40k in the warhammer 40k thread. I read this thread for discussion of warhammer 40k, both the good and the bad parts of it. If you want the thread to be more positive about how loving awesome 40k is, post about why 40k is awesome.

Telling people to play another game is not discussing the game on hand!

I love the setting but yeah the rules need work. A lot of work. More than GW will most likely ever put effort into fixing.

Now go search this thread for my name and take a look for people thanking me for help with bits or other aspects of this game.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

you guys lost the planet's capital city to Buffalo Chicken's Tyranid horde.
:unsmigghh:

I wish I could just post Facebook photos here without having to rehost... Someday, when my friends' minis are more complete, I'll take some fun battleshots to share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
The thing is, most of 40ks rules are pretty solid. It really wouldn't take much adjustment at all to change 40k into a very well balanced game. A few adjustments to make assault more viable, better rules for dealing with multiple detachments, and some adjustments to a few units and we're good.

• Locked thread