Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer
Anyone who leaves their Clock/Calculator/Camera icons on the home screen instead of launching them through Control Center is objectively doing it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

OK I knew Camera was there but that just blew my mind.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Folders on the home screen is incorrect. :eng101:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

The Gillman posted:

Anyone who leaves their Clock/Calculator/Camera icons on the home screen instead of launching them through Control Center is objectively doing it wrong.

I just spent years resisting numerous Android launchers and utilities and OS mods that try to turn my notification tray from a status center into an always available alternative app launcher.

I tend to just stick by old habits until someone can show me a use case that feels like a monumental change in my workflow and then I'll adopt it. "One more empty icon spot" won't cut it for now.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

The Gillman posted:

The only icon I actually use in the control center is the flashlight

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

Craptacular! posted:

I just spent years resisting numerous Android launchers and utilities and OS mods that try to turn my notification tray from a status center into an always available alternative app launcher.

I tend to just stick by old habits until someone can show me a use case that feels like a monumental change in my workflow and then I'll adopt it. "One more empty icon spot" won't cut it for now.

Back links in iOS 9.

I have been using Launcher for awhile now and I love that I can open my mail or twitter and jump back without using the home button for when I only want to check another app quickly and then go back to what I was doing

I also don't agree with putting folders in the dock. But I might be a weirdo about that anyway because I only keep three icons in there for symmetry

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Can people with a 6 run a quick test for me? Go into a dark room, set your brightness to the lowest, then hit the sleep button from a semi-dark screen like your home screen or Awful app in night mode. My screen shuts off in 2 stages, first the LCD goes blank and then you can see the backlight turn off instead of both happening simultaneously. For some reason, I feel like this didn't happen before my screen replacement.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

milkaxor posted:

Seconding this. Especially if crossing the manhattan bridge. If I let the phone do its thing it will take almost the entire length of the bridge. Airplane mode gets it connected almost immediately.

We must take the same train because that bridge was the reason I posted about it in the first place.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Josh Lyman posted:

Can people with a 6 run a quick test for me? Go into a dark room, set your brightness to the lowest, then hit the sleep button from a semi-dark screen like your home screen or Awful app in night mode. My screen shuts off in 2 stages, first the LCD goes blank and then you can see the backlight turn off instead of both happening simultaneously. For some reason, I feel like this didn't happen before my screen replacement.

Mine goes off all at once.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

wooger posted:

You people who don't fill your first home screen are blowing my mind, surely the icons at the bottom are 800 X quicker and easier to reach than ones at the top?
I just upgraded from a 4S to a 6S. Adapting to having all that extra screen space is oddly hard!

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

lelandjs posted:

You pointed out the Dark Sky -> Forecast.io connection before I could so I'm just gonna take this opportunity to :aaaaa: for a moment because I now just realized that your u/n is Star War Sex Parrot and not Star Wars Sex Parrot.

Oh and I bought Dark Sky instead of using Forecast.io because I like the heads up it gives about incoming rain.

:siren:REDDIT USER SPOTTED:siren:

...you should really check out Narwhal, it's got a lolmeme name and icon but the UI is the best of any Reddit client out there IMHO

I recently moved from android, and i used an app called.... Uhmm.. Reddit is fun?? I am not entirely sure, but it was similar to that. Anyway, I dont see an app called narwhal. At this point it seems like just using safari is better for reddit than using an iOS app. Reddit is fun had multiple users, night mode, loadsa poo poo for free by enabling ads. And the ads were just in-line, so, occasionally one of the reddit posts would be an ad instead of a post, so completely unobtrusive, just scroll past it.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Gillman posted:

3D Touch shortcuts for Clock and Camera don't work with Control Center.

Skwee posted:

I recently moved from android, and i used an app called.... Uhmm.. Reddit is fun?? I am not entirely sure, but it was similar to that. Anyway, I dont see an app called narwhal. At this point it seems like just using safari is better for reddit than using an iOS app. Reddit is fun had multiple users, night mode, loadsa poo poo for free by enabling ads. And the ads were just in-line, so, occasionally one of the reddit posts would be an ad instead of a post, so completely unobtrusive, just scroll past it.

Here's a link to Narwhal. It's got all of the features you mention except multiple users which I never really understood the point of anyway.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Finally someone else with settings in the dock.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

~Coxy posted:

vodafone is the worst carrier because it take up your whole goddamn status bar.
Number 1 thing to get rid of in a jailbreak, although I'm surprised Apple hasn't allowed us to do it in the stock OS by now.

jfc you idiots

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
I don't understand having 18 million icons on your screen when folders are much more organized.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Blinkz0rz posted:

jfc you idiots

I saw it :cool:

its no big deal
Apr 19, 2015

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

has the feedly app improved yet? i used to use reeder then feedly came out and i tried the app but for some reason it was poo poo so i went back to reeder

I like it. Every once in a while there is an issue with the API for saving to Pocket, but that's few and far between. Mine tends to just display my feed in the view I want and kinda just work.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

The Gillman posted:

I didnt realise that control centre icon was for the clock 😳😓

I pretty much only use one page of apps. The rest on the other page are rarely used. 😗

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

The Gillman posted:

I also don't agree with putting folders in the dock. But I might be a weirdo about that anyway because I only keep three icons in there for symmetry

What?

OptimusMatrix posted:

I don't understand having 18 million icons on your screen when folders are much more organized.

2 clicks takes longer than 1 click. Sometimes the icon of an app can serve as a reminder of things you planned on doing. I can barely walk through a doorframe without forgetting the task I got up for.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

OptimusMatrix posted:

I agree with you for now, but with 3D Touch it might make more sense to have apps for the quick action menus

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

noirstronaut posted:

twitter is free too but a bunch of idiots here keep buying a lame rear end app to tweet

today i found out the mac app store version of tweetbot is $40. $40 for an app that offers very little over literally logging into https://www.twitter.com

it's the app store equivelant to

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Tweetbot on iOS is like 5 bucks, Tweetdeck for OS X is free. Best of both worlds. Tweetbot is really pretty great on iOS because the native Twitter app is loving poo poo, but Tweetdeck owns OS X. There's nothing you can't do. I don't tweet much (or at all, really) but that's the combination that's worked for me.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

The Gillman posted:

Back links in iOS 9.

But I might be a weirdo about that anyway because I only keep three icons in there for symmetry

Symmetry is not the reason I do this. Asymmetry is, so the dock icons stand out more.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

I like things alphabetized :shobon:

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

serebralassazin posted:

I've heard it mentioned before but, is it better than alien blue's classic mode?

The only iOS client worth using is amrc. Alien Blue is terrible, IMO.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
lol you guys don't just use siri to launch apps.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
A co-worker just found a great easter egg on 9.0.2.

Make sure you have auto-correct on. Compose a text message and type in "Lardass" It should suggest "Kardashian"

It will only suggest it once. We all just tried it on our phones and it worked.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Jose Oquendo posted:

Make sure you have auto-correct on. Compose a text message and type in "Lardass" It should suggest "Kardashian"

Odd, it did it after a few tries. It also suggested "Lard assistant"

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

I thought you were bullshitting but indeed, it does. It's probably a software bug rather than an easter egg, but still funny.

Or should I say ducking funny?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I don't think it's a bug or an easter egg. That's just how popular talking about Kardashian(s) is. EveryletternearK-ard combo will probably suggest it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Looking forward to the Medium thinkpiece on this

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Does anyone else experience this pretty annoying bug? I actually opened a now closed bug report about it in iOS 8 beta.

oh and just to be on the bandwagon...

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Cool.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

robodex posted:

today i found out the mac app store version of tweetbot is $40. $40 for an app that offers very little over literally logging into https://www.twitter.com

it's the app store equivelant to

For all the poo poo iOS App Store gets, it's nothing compared to the joke that is the Mac App Store.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

benisntfunny posted:

Does anyone else experience this pretty annoying bug? I actually opened a now closed bug report about it in iOS 8 beta.

are you sure you don't just have a lot of friends named Steve? it's a pretty common name

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

robodex posted:

are you sure you don't just have a lot of friends named Steve? it's a pretty common name

Starbucks has a lot of customers named "Bob" because they suck at spelling my name so why be honest

but I doubt he has over 300 friends named "Steve"

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

robodex posted:

Do you work at Apple QA? Is this why my bugs never get addressed?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

benisntfunny posted:

Do you work at Apple QA? Is this why my bugs never get addressed?

Settle down, Steve.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

Cozmosis posted:

The only iOS client worth using is amrc. Alien Blue is terrible, IMO.

AMRC works well, the interface is just so bleh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

look i'm just saying maybe you had a group chat with 300 of your friends, all named steve