Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Read on Facebook that 504 is disappointing. Huge complicated rule book for what turns out to be simple and dull games. Not surprised, but I still applaud the ambition (and curious to see more about it to confirm this first impression).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Seems at the very least that it will provide great basic components for prototyping/developing new games

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

The End posted:

Seems at the very least that it will provide great basic components for prototyping/developing new games

Yes. This is all I was expecting really

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Went to Spiel yesterday:

Played Viceroy. It was ok. It felt kind of shallow tactics wise but maybe it will get better after some more plays. (A friend bought it)

Got Codenames and the new Tash Kalar deck and hope I get to play with it a bit next week.

Got W1815 as an entry level kinda wargame. Hope my wife will try that one with me and likes it. Next stop then Cuba Libre and Fire in the Lake.

Got Inhabite the Earth after talking with the designer and watching some people play it. Looks really nice and I don't have a racing game in my collection yet. Should be able to play that one on Sunday I hope. Also got last years Keyflower promo tiles.

Overall it was a great day and I'm a bit sad that I don't have time for another visit.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Selecta84 posted:

Got W1815 as an entry level kinda wargame. Hope my wife will try that one with me and likes it.

Has there been a reprint at last? Or did you just kill somebody and raid his home?

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Lichtenstein posted:

Has there been a reprint at last? Or did you just kill somebody and raid his home?

Maybe? UGG (a German Distributor for GMT and other wargame publishers) had some copies. And there were at least 1 other booth that had more copies.

And it was just 24 €. I guess that would be to cheap for an OOP wargame.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Udo Grebe is a weird alien dressed in a skin of some poor German, so that makes a lot of sense.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Oct 9, 2015

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Lichtenstein posted:

Udo Grebe is a wierd alien dressed in a skin of some poor German, so that makes a lot of sense.

I didn't have the Chance to meet Udo. Just some employees and they were really nice.

Is he that wierd?

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

W1815 looks pretty cool. But looking at the publisher website it doesn't seem to be OOP. Or is their site out of date? http://upgames.fi/home/order/

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

I haven't met the man in person, so he may be all nice and friendly, I don't know.

I have, however, played his game and - to a lesser degree - saw his official geocities website and there's something off with this man.

I mean, he got the bright idea to call his strategic WWII European Theater game Morsecode ···–. Because ···– stands for "V", which stands for "Victory". Which is very intuitive and makes perfect sense.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

I mean look at this poo poo http://www.ugg.de/ and read about his weird shareholder coupons and poo poo and think this is the #1 German wargame company, that actually hires other people and poo poo.

kalthir: Yeah, the website specifically mentions 2nd printing - the first one sold out in two weeks, IIRC. I couldn't find the game in my country, so i assumed the new printing wasn't there yet.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Yeah, the website is really strange.

But hey, they sold Churchill for 81 € (pre order price) so I'm not going to complain.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Ended up finally giving in and buying Legendary: Encounters last night. Checked everything and it looks like all the cards are there, which is nice. Had the side advantage of helping me understand what all was in the decks and how stuff is labelled. I'm looking forward to trying it out, seems like setup/cleanup's a bit simpler than Marvel Legendary, which is nice.

Any protips for the first game or stuff that's easily missed? I've played a decent amount of Legendary, for reference.

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!
Protip: Don't get hoist by your own petard.

I played with the traitor in.

I was the traitor.

I learned that aliens are just as good at killing me as any other player.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Robust Laser posted:

Protip: Don't get hoist by your own petard.

I played with the traitor in.

I was the traitor.

I learned that aliens are just as good at killing me as any other player.
realistic to the movies

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!

Tekopo posted:

realistic to the movies

No, yeah, I wasn't even mad. It was too perfect.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Avalon Hill recieved a letter from a scientist with a PhD (who was also an Avalon Hill fan) complaining he couldn't understand the rules.
I played Cosmic Encounter for the first time last night. I only played once with strangers and I feel like the game would be better after repeat play with a group of close friends.

Pros: It played well with 5 players, between switching turns every 1-2 encounters, some randomization of who the encounters were with, and the ability to form alliances during encounters, everyone was involved throughout the game.

Cons: Some flare cards seemed game breaking. The Munchkin-like encounter resolution seems more random than strategic.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

The best part about Ascension dumb combos is that when the game breaks (Adayu the Serene + the guy who lets you kill monsters in the Void) it takes like an hour to take your turn. I had a chance at comboing off a second time but I accidentally hit "play all" which might have cost me ~2000 more VP. The good news is that if this was in person you just start the combo, get ~30 more points than everyone else, and then everyone packs up and does something else.

Legendary Encounters is fun, only played it once though. I support dying horribly to the aliens all the time if possible, makes for a more immersive experience.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Andarel posted:

The best part about Ascension dumb combos is that when the game breaks (Adayu the Serene + the guy who lets you kill monsters in the Void) it takes like an hour to take your turn. I had a chance at comboing off a second time but I accidentally hit "play all" which might have cost me ~2000 more VP. The good news is that if this was in person you just start the combo, get ~30 more points than everyone else, and then everyone packs up and does something else.\

I have only played Ascension a few times on the app but I remember a friend of a friend trying to explain to my usual gaming group why it was so much better than Dominion and quickly segued into him talking about how consistently he could get "infinite combos". Which at the time I figured he was either using "infinite" wrong or else the game had the "playing cards into the discard pile" problem and actually was broken enough to have infinite combos.

But lol holy poo poo at actually seeing that kind of thing in action. The sad part is I absolutely know people who would sit and calculate how much their combo scored while everyone else moved onto something else.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Want to play a game about anime titties without the anime titties!

:nws:[url]https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1662858658/el-alamein-anime-card-game-from-japan:nws:[/url]

You can now own the deckbuilder Barbarossa, you know the one about anime-girl-crotch-shot-Nazis?, without the anime girls! Oh boy! WTF is this world I live in?

djfooboo fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 10, 2015

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

djfooboo posted:

:nws:https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1662858658/el-alamein-anime-card-game-from-japan:nws:

You can now own the deckbuilder Barbarossa, you know the one about anime-girl-crotch-shot-Nazis?, without the anime girls! Oh boy! WTF is this world I live in?

what the gently caress is this poo poo

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

My flgs has https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/550/barbarossa in stock, took me a minute to realize what it was.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Spiel update: I have significantly less money.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Impermanent posted:

Hey did you ever get to do that Archipelago game with a bunch of new players? How did it go?

Tomorrow. I think that in the group we ended up with, everyone has actually played at least once. But it's been over a year, and will be with five, so I'm still going to suggest all the baby variants (open objectives, no sympathizer) in the hopes that we finish in under three hours. Debating whether to do short or medium. In the past, ports and markets have not been popular enough to end the game even on short, for example.

enigmahfc posted:

I actually wasn't mad about anything. Someone came in and asked if I wanted to play Cosmic Encounters, I said no, and for some reason they felt the need to ask why not. When i said it was because I don' like the game, their response was literally, "how can you not like Cosmic Encounters?!".

They obviously aren't married, or they'd already know everything they like is stupid.

Edit:

Bottom Liner posted:

Read on Facebook that 504 is disappointing. Huge complicated rule book for what turns out to be simple and dull games. Not surprised, but I still applaud the ambition (and curious to see more about it to confirm this first impression).

Are any of the modules Nomic?

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 9, 2015

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Selecta84 posted:

Also got last years Keyflower promo tiles.

Overall it was a great day and I'm a bit sad that I don't have time for another visit.

Did they have beekeeper? It's the only one I need and don't want to pay $100 for it.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 9, 2015

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
The boardgoons that enjoy some of the board gaming heavier fare might be interested in a podcast that's been going on for a year called Heavy Cardboard. It's not full on video stuff a la SUSD but if you want a fairly thought-out 'cast that actually substantively covers the games they feature with short but succinct rules synopses and much more time devoted on actual critique, I'd give them a shot! Major caveat being that they pretty much exclusively cover some really niche levels of heavy gaming (Agricola is "medium maybe medium heavy" iirc). To me they're aware enough to acknowledge that it's a niche taste and they don't come off as snobs nearly as much as, say, goons like me do :v:

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Yeah I'll second Trynant's suggestion for Heavy Cardboard. They manage to be pretty substantive. The hosts aren't, like, entertainer-level funny or charismatic, but they don't grate on you the way that some niche podcast hosts might.

They clearly have at least something in common with the majority of the tryhard boardgamers in the thread because they glowingly reviewed Argent: The Consortium despite (and with heavy protest to) the anime artwork.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

The Long View is pretty good sometimes. It's basically a chatty dude and some different BGG celeb talking about one game for an hour and a half or more.

Ludology is good too sometimes for armchair game theory (not always capital-"G" Game Theory, but sometimes)

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

djfooboo posted:

:nws:https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1662858658/el-alamein-anime-card-game-from-japan:nws:

You have to pledge $100 to get the non-creepy version of a game. $100 to not be 'that guy' at the game meetup.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

deadwing posted:

what the gently caress is this poo poo

OUR GLORIOUS HOBBY

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Crackbone posted:

Did they have beekeeper? It's the only one I need and don't want to pay $100 for it.

Unfortunately not. They had Storyteller, Emporium, Monument and Trader. And this years with the Pigs which needs the farmers expension.

I didn't saw any other promos.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I vaguely recall a post on BGG, maybe from Paul Grogan, that there aren't any more planned Mage Knight expansions, and the existence of Star Trek Mage Knight sort of seems to point towards this. Can anyone corroborate whether or not I'm making this poo poo up? I mostly ask since I'm thinking of getting the Broken Token insert, but a part of me loathes the thought of buying a $30 only for it to be obsoleted by an expansion or something. Which may happen either way, but this helps me justify throwing money at a game that I don't even play that often. But I may if it's organized in a way that makes sense!

Reflections85
Apr 30, 2013

I am not much of a gamer, but I just played a rather fantastic game of Splendor, and was curious whether there were games that are similar but 1) can accommodate more than 4 people or 2) were a bit more complex (or both). I enjoyed the resource collecting and purchasing aspect of the game. The historical setting was a plus as well. I think I might enjoy a game with a bit more of deckbuilder element to it though (was a fan of Magic when younger). So, are there any suggestions?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Reflections85 posted:

I am not much of a gamer, but I just played a rather fantastic game of Splendor, and was curious whether there were games that are similar but 1) can accommodate more than 4 people or 2) were a bit more complex (or both). I enjoyed the resource collecting and purchasing aspect of the game. The historical setting was a plus as well. I think I might enjoy a game with a bit more of deckbuilder element to it though (was a fan of Magic when younger). So, are there any suggestions?

For deckbuilders you want Eminent Domain + Escalation, Valley of the Kings and/or Valley of the Kings: Afterlife (both are good, and you can combine the two for larger player counts), and Dominion. All three have their pros and cons. My personal favorite is Eminent Domain, as I like building up space empires, and my least favorite is Dominion because as strong as the mechanics are, I just don't have fun playing it.

Ascension is fun to play as an app, as is the Penny Arcade deckbuilder but I would not recommend them in person.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

GrandpaPants posted:

I vaguely recall a post on BGG, maybe from Paul Grogan, that there aren't any more planned Mage Knight expansions, and the existence of Star Trek Mage Knight sort of seems to point towards this. Can anyone corroborate whether or not I'm making this poo poo up? I mostly ask since I'm thinking of getting the Broken Token insert, but a part of me loathes the thought of buying a $30 only for it to be obsoleted by an expansion or something. Which may happen either way, but this helps me justify throwing money at a game that I don't even play that often. But I may if it's organized in a way that makes sense!

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1422145/future-mage-knight-after-shades-tezla

While there is no word from WizKids about Mage Knight plans, Paul confirmed in the nice thread that neither he nor Vlaada will be involved with said expansions. So anything from here on is probably skippable.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Reflections85:

Super Motherload is just about as weighty as Splendor, but incorporates a deckbuilding element and an area-control element while still running fairly quickly. It plays up to 5. The resource acquisition and purchasing in this game is very similar to Splendor.

Puerto Rico is a logical step up from Splendor and has a similar historical setting. It plays between 3 and 5 players. It's also considered a classic, and defined the "action-selection" genre of games. There's a lot of resource acquisition and purchasing in this game.

Dominion plays up to 4, but is best with 2 or 3. It is all about building a deck as part of the game, like constructing a magic deck as you play it, and has a paper-thin historical setting.

Castles of Burgandy plays up to 4 and is a good introduction to worker placement games. It has a lot of resource collection and purchasing, and manipulating the purchasable options in the game is an important way to get ahead of other players.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Gutter Owl posted:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1422145/future-mage-knight-after-shades-tezla

While there is no word from WizKids about Mage Knight plans, Paul confirmed in the nice thread that neither he nor Vlaada will be involved with said expansions. So anything from here on is probably skippable.

Bless you, Gutter Owl. For uh, enabling me to spend $28 on an insert, I guess.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Reflections85 posted:

It's not a deckbuilder, but you might enjoy 7 Wonders. it's a card drafting tableau builder, and plays relatively fast at all player counts (up to 7).

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

GrandpaPants posted:

I think it has all been conjecture and nobody has said anything officially. Rumors about future expansions not bein in Czech also being a reason for no more expansions. However, from what I can tell from all of those posts on BGG, it's all conjecture and speculation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I thought Lost Legion was really inconsistent in regards to quality of gameplay and I couldn't bring myself to care about the new one so I'd be perfectly happy if the called the game complete and moved on. Then I wouldn't be tempted to give Wizkids money occasionally.