Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shuffle posted:

is There a script or mod that will autosize my ships gravity generator's area of effect to match my ship?

Not to my knowledge, you gotta dial that in yourself with a spacewalk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not to my knowledge, you gotta dial that in yourself with a spacewalk.

If your ship has an Antenna active, and you go to the Info tab and check the box to show Gravity Fields, it goes a little more smoothly... but yeah, it's a bit of a pain. :)

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

Anal-retentive, overly loquacious weapons scientist.

I've been playing a ton of Elite Dangerous lately and now I wanted to build a ship more along the scale of that. I went about building a small block ship that I can run around on with a landing ramp to get my planets on.

I'm terrible at painting though, so I haven't really tried. It flies really well though!

I named it the Seeker, it finds things. :shrug:

I also discovered a bug where small ship oxygen tanks don't seem to refill or do anything at all, so I hope that's fixed tomorrow. Kinda put a damper on exploring when I found that out after switching to survival.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I was actually just thinking of coming back to this game (now that :frontear: broke PowerPlay) and trying to replicate Elite ships to the scale the documentation says they are. I think it would be neat to see them from a human perspective. Especially the Anaconda!

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Siets posted:

I was actually just thinking of coming back to this game (now that :frontear: broke PowerPlay) and trying to replicate Elite ships to the scale the documentation says they are. I think it would be neat to see them from a human perspective. Especially the Anaconda!

Powerplay not working is honestly a net benefit

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

frank.club posted:

Powerplay not working is honestly a net benefit

Well... Mostly yes... Unless you have actual dreams of becoming a legit Anaconda-haver.

:negative:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can make a cooler ship in this game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BillyJoeBob posted:

I've been playing a ton of Elite Dangerous lately and now I wanted to build a ship more along the scale of that. I went about building a small block ship that I can run around on with a landing ramp to get my planets on.

I'm terrible at painting though, so I haven't really tried. It flies really well though!

I named it the Seeker, it finds things. :shrug:

I also discovered a bug where small ship oxygen tanks don't seem to refill or do anything at all, so I hope that's fixed tomorrow. Kinda put a damper on exploring when I found that out after switching to survival.

Get yourself the SlopeLCD mod if you want a set of pilot-console-sized LCD's, along with the Configurable LCD mod to pipe ship information to them.

And the Enhanced Gravity Generator mod if you want to find out whether or not your ship will fly like a brick in atmosphere pre-planets.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Siets posted:

Internet says that the Anaconda is 150m long. That's 60 blocks for a large ship, which is big but not crazy by most standards. The current version of the Red Ship (in a new easy start game) is 45 blocks long. People build stuff bigger than that all the time.

Of course, building that in small blocks is just no.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Klyith posted:

Internet says that the Anaconda is 150m long. That's 60 blocks for a large ship, which is big but not crazy by most standards. The current version of the Red Ship (in a new easy start game) is 45 blocks long. People build stuff bigger than that all the time.

Of course, building that in small blocks is just no.

Just for comparison, my bigass battleship tops out around the 200-220m mark. You could probably make your 150m Anaconda in large blocks without it getting too chuggy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Patch Time, and KSH continue to taunt us with planetary previews. Looks like we're getting fuel-powered rocket engines alongside atmospheric jet engines though :allears:.

quote:

Summary
This week we have another batch of improvements and bug fixes for you. We’ve applied changes that are improving the turret performance and also increase the framerate when there are many ships in great distance (there will be no memory consumption from ships that are on the edge of visibility). We’ve also fixed the armor box turret hack and speed-up the g-screen when opening for the first time.

Lastly, we would like to add that our development is focusing more and more on the new updates and features that we are planning to release in the near future. Stay tuned!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clWwSNb9c8A

Fixes
- armor box turret hack
- turret performance
- small FPS improvement (large when there are many ships in great distance)
- G screen performance (special thanks to Andrew Woodall for submitting this fix through github)
- fixed blocks ignoring enable/disable (LCD panels, artificial masses, gravity generators)
- fixed oxygen farm red when placed in creative
- fixed jump drive white when merged with another grid
- fixed switch lock ON/OFF action for ejectors

If you have anything using rotors and landing gear together, might want to wait for the hotfix. Apparently they're exploding again.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Patch Time, and KSH continue to taunt us with planetary previews. Looks like we're getting fuel-powered rocket engines alongside atmospheric jet engines though :allears:.

Rocket engines that use fuel will be very cool as an afterburner / boost engine even if you're not on a planet.

What exactly was the "armor box turret hack"? I tried looking at the update thread on their forums to find out, that turned out to be a big mistake. Still cleaning the projectile vomit off my screen.

Also since they're looking at turrets I hope they revisit the turret sound bug, and maybe integrate that large turret they put on the workshop (or something like it) into the game. There's a zillion weapon mods on the workshop but they have a terrible tendency towards the over-complicated.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Klyith posted:

Rocket engines that use fuel will be very cool as an afterburner / boost engine even if you're not on a planet.

What exactly was the "armor box turret hack"? I tried looking at the update thread on their forums to find out, that turned out to be a big mistake. Still cleaning the projectile vomit off my screen.

Also since they're looking at turrets I hope they revisit the turret sound bug, and maybe integrate that large turret they put on the workshop (or something like it) into the game. There's a zillion weapon mods on the workshop but they have a terrible tendency towards the over-complicated.

I actually have no clue about what that is either. Googling turns up nothing except the patch notes too. One thing I plan to try with the atmospheric engines, assuming they keep the model design found in the files, is to mount them on my long-range remote spy probes. Just to see if it's possible for them to fly in atmosphere as well as hover overhead in orbit (taking fly-by bellycam pictures, that sort of thing).

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I finally pressurised my big glass refinery base and got some drones up and running! Hurrah! Mining spree to feed the war against the peaceful pirates is about to ensue.

But now the asteroid ore textures do not display when close to them (such as a mining drone camera) and appear as though stone, though it is visible as ore from a distance of 60+ meters or so.

I am playing survival on infinite mode, if that is relevant.

I remember this being being a bug a while back, but if I recall correctly,the solution was to update/restart your computer, of which I have done both.

Edit: Hmmm, only seems to be affecting certain asteroids, and not others. Hmmm.

McGiggins fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Oct 9, 2015

Mortvert
Oct 13, 2013

What?!
This is amazing!
I imagine that fuel-burning engines will be at least useful in building rockets for all your improvised weapon needs.

Do they even need some sort of tank (like normal engines need batteries) or do the engines themselves hold the fuel?

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!

Mortvert posted:

I imagine that fuel-burning engines will be at least useful in building rockets for all your improvised weapon needs.

Do they even need some sort of tank (like normal engines need batteries) or do the engines themselves hold the fuel?

oxygen tanks were renamed in the code to gas tanks, and in the update video the rocket engines are attached to conveyors so it's a good chance they'll need a fuel tank

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shuffle posted:

oxygen tanks were renamed in the code to gas tanks, and in the update video the rocket engines are attached to conveyors so it's a good chance they'll need a fuel tank

I guess there'll be an update down the line to make them able to whitelist what kind of gas they hold or something.

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

Anal-retentive, overly loquacious weapons scientist.

Looks like something is up with the oxygen tanks still. What's this about the tanks being renamed, did that just happen or is it going to? I guess if they've been renamed that might explain why my small ship explorer's tanks don't fill. I can get the cabin to fill with oxygen but not get it to store the air. I go through a shitton of ice when I vent the whole engineering section out the boarding ramp every time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BillyJoeBob posted:

Looks like something is up with the oxygen tanks still. What's this about the tanks being renamed, did that just happen or is it going to? I guess if they've been renamed that might explain why my small ship explorer's tanks don't fill. I can get the cabin to fill with oxygen but not get it to store the air. I go through a shitton of ice when I vent the whole engineering section out the boarding ramp every time.

It's happening on the big vanilla Oxygen Tanks oo, because my hangar bay is not depressurizing and, well, there goes a shitload of oxygen out the doors.

Also, go check out the Exploration Enhancement Mod if you haven't already, it's goddamn fantastic for adding neat poo poo to find/fight in an Infinite World.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 9, 2015

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

So wait...did KSH change the oxygen tanks over to rocket fuel for the demo then forget to change them back?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
I thought the official name for the new thrusters was atmospheric engines? If so it'd make a lot more sense to keep oxygen tanks just holding oxygen and subclass in another type of tank for fuel. They may have had to change the base oxygen tank to allow that and it simply broke a bunch of surrounding code.

Oh god I'm getting KSP flashbacks, trying to balance multi-stage rockets so you don't end up with a nose heavy fuel tank that suddenly decides to pivot just behind the cockpit and flip round.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Verizian posted:

I thought the official name for the new thrusters was atmospheric engines? If so it'd make a lot more sense to keep oxygen tanks just holding oxygen and subclass in another type of tank for fuel. They may have had to change the base oxygen tank to allow that and it simply broke a bunch of surrounding code.

Oh god I'm getting KSP flashbacks, trying to balance multi-stage rockets so you don't end up with a nose heavy fuel tank that suddenly decides to pivot just behind the cockpit and flip round.

That's a different engine. We've seen the models (someone found them in the code as untextured renders) and those are proper jet engines. Plus those only work in atmosphere, so they'd be pretty lovely rocket engines once you get high enough :v:.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I eagerly await the new major release, where planets are added alongside KSP compatibility.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Splode posted:

Pirates make the lone survivor start pretty terrifying. I just had to flee my base when the raiders appeared on the radar. They're now chasing me around as I do a quick bit of mining (I don't have any weapons at all yet, let alone enough to fight a pirate vessel).

I've had some situations where the autopilot has gotten confused with collision detection on, but for the most part it's pretty good. The timing on these features was very clever. Autopilot means it's easier to go afk, but pirates mean you have to pay attention because you could be attacked at any moment. Less grind without reducing player participation.

For people who are fighting the pirates, how heavily armed are they?
Some update on this I found as I played last night. I had 2 carriers come to my asteroid I had holed up in like a mammal during the Age of the Dinosaurs. Each one spit out 2 drones. One actually made its way to me and was flinging missiles at my small station inside. I eventually ran it out of turret ammo and ground into its guts to kill it off. I used this time to go back to my base, grind it down and shove all the materials into my son's rescue ship he likes to use as his main ship and got the hell out of there until they gave up pursuit.

Drones and carriers both had missiles.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Been trying out my new standardized Bumblepod on the Avalon and it turns out the extra width due to the detachable arms was to its detriment.

The old individual pods saddled two of the Connectors, but could sit side-by-side on adjacent ones.

So I've made some changes and now they have fixed arms while the toolheads detach. On the plus side, the mining drills can actually burrow the whole pod in now.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Which of the small power blocks (large/small reactors / batteries) has the best mass:energy ratio? I want to make a space hotrod

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GenericOverusedName posted:

Which of the small power blocks (large/small reactors / batteries) has the best mass:energy ratio? I want to make a space hotrod

Get the Azimuth Mega Mod and check out the V8 engine. You'll understand why nothing else will be acceptable for a hotrod when you see it.

Also, the remarks about the Avalon Battleship being pretty Colonial Fleet-esque are just gonna get more apt now I think.

I've made a change to the hull to try and kill off the issue of the broadside Heavy Defense Turrets murdering each-other by adding proper armor ribs between them to limit the field of fire a bit. There's also a set on the belly batteries as well, which is great for shoring up the (slightly) weaker armor there.

Had to dial it around a bit to see what the new range of firing is to get all the guns to bear.

And it comes out to about 45 degrees off the bow, which I'm pretty happy with. Plus anything shooting back at them's likely to now pop on the ribs instead of right between a turret cluster.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Neddy, I have to ask: Is this just what you do? Or does SE scratch an itch you didn't realize you had?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

VanSandman posted:

Neddy, I have to ask: Is this just what you do? Or does SE scratch an itch you didn't realize you had?

I just like building and blowing poo poo up for an hour or two every now and then. Most of the changes like that come from having some fun in survival mode and just fixing whatever doesn't work.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
As a huge fan of KSP and the Spacebuild mod for Garry's Mod, I can not wait for that drat update to drop.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I may mostly want it to play space themed minecraft and build bases.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I figure if I get a decent general ship done (which it pretty much is), I'm set for if/when the game starts adding some actual playable content to stumble onto. I'm also surprised they've managed to improve performance enough that playing with that drat battleship's actually not quite so chuggy anymore.

That said, I really want them to crush the bug where projection-built creations don't have their Groups (only the first iteration will have them, subsequent ones off that projector don't). Replacing a shuttle because it got smeared by Raider turrets isn't nearly as annoying as rebinding the Groups for poo poo like the master on/off and the main drive engines (so a slight acceleration/reverse doesn't slam the bloody thing into the walls).

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I figure if I get a decent general ship done (which it pretty much is), I'm set for if/when the game starts adding some actual playable content to stumble onto. I'm also surprised they've managed to improve performance enough that playing with that drat battleship's actually not quite so chuggy anymore.

That said, I really want them to crush the bug where projection-built creations don't have their Groups (only the first iteration will have them, subsequent ones off that projector don't). Replacing a shuttle because it got smeared by Raider turrets isn't nearly as annoying as rebinding the Groups for poo poo like the master on/off and the main drive engines (so a slight acceleration/reverse doesn't slam the bloody thing into the walls).

There's a few workshop mods which add hostile cargo ships that come and attack you.

Sometimes I've had one spawn while I was repairing/salvaging from the last attack and have had to basically make an emergency jump due to too much battle damage.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spookydonut posted:

There's a few workshop mods which add hostile cargo ships that come and attack you.

Sometimes I've had one spawn while I was repairing/salvaging from the last attack and have had to basically make an emergency jump due to too much battle damage.

I know, I've been having some good fun with the Exploration Enhancement Mod (seriously, get this mod it's amazing). I keep meaning to add it to the OP and I'll do that right now. I'm talking more in terms of better developer-added content rather than just modded stuff added in on rickety code that wasn't really designed for it.

edit: Also replaced the Hammerman walls mod listing with Sektan's Interior Wall set because it adds a lot of useful wall blocks.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 12, 2015

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Medieval Engineers officially doesn't hard lock on my PC anymore

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Klyith posted:

What exactly was the "armor box turret hack"?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I actually have no clue about what that is either. Googling turns up nothing except the patch notes too.

Finally saw an explanation: the turret AI could be tricked into not shooting at stuff using neutral armor blocks as a shield. So if you made a box you could hide your ship inside like solid snake.

I bet this is a thing that's existed forever, but was way more exploitable after landing gear got fixed. Hiding in a box isn't much good if trying to move results in worse explosions than the weapons you're hiding from. And you can probably keep doing the same exploit if you make a box starting with a single active part salvaged from a ship of the opponent's faction. But at that point it's not just a cardboard box, it's a trojan horse.

Also on the subject of landing gear, there are still bugs even in the new system. Quick tip: don't start building a ship with the initial landing gear attached to an asteroid. The small ship I was working on started twiching every time I placed a new block, then self-destructed. This was in SP too. Put down a station block to use as your surface.

McGiggins posted:

But now the asteroid ore textures do not display when close to them (such as a mining drone camera) and appear as though stone, though it is visible as ore from a distance of 60+ meters or so.

Edit: Hmmm, only seems to be affecting certain asteroids, and not others. Hmmm.
Possibility 1: Switch back to DX9 if you're playing in DX11. Right now it seems to have a lot of issues with asteroids.

Possibility 2: occasionally the voxel data gets bugged, and all sorts of weird poo poo can happen. If mining the spot that's messed up + a save/reload doesn't fix it, my advice would be either leave that asteroid alone or even switch to creative mode for a moment to delete it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I found something kinda neat that you can take advantage of to make a basic recon probe; Laser Antenna connections remain stable with FTL jumps.

For best results you really need Darth Biomech's Laser Communications Dish, but vanilla ones will work for a short-range versions. The Small Ship Mega Mod's also worth using for the Jump Drive if you don't want a bigass Large Block probe.

With a Jump Drive, and Ore Scanner (I recommend the Azimuth Overclocked ones), you've got a quick and cheap way to just jump 40-odd kilometers at a time to go poking for viable asteroids or player bases/ships without risking your own vessel in a radius of 1,000km. Once you find something, just copy the Antenna's coordinates into GPS and Jump your ship. Or leave it there to observe indefinitely on Solar Panels and a battery once the reactors are depleted.

Plus if if you use Small Blocks, it's insanely hard to spot from a distance.

Space looks nice and clear...

But what's that off in the distance... (if you leave the radio antenna on, that is)

Zoom! Enhance! Depixillate!

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
What's all that debris above the ship in the last pic?

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

I completed a new iteration of a ship I've been working on for a long time. It got a bit bigger, a frigate to to the original design's corvette.
I present the FAF - Tourbillon (Fast Attack Frigate) and HAF - Hoplite (Heavy Attack Frigate). The heavy variant is to slow with stock, so I'm refitting it with mods.

Generational line up. From the right the first is my original "High-Performance Yacht" and the next is the upgraded version, replacing the ramps with 2x slopes and adding O2 and a jump drive. Next is a middle upgrade, thickening the wings, smoothing the engine shrouds and adding the spear tip. But the interior suffered so I classed it as a armed courier vessel. For the current version I did more shaping and used a bit of the design of my cruiser in it, plus made the black bands actual structural elements.
Sadly I don't have the original prototypes, I begain trying to make a version of the S-25 Starbridge from Escape Velocity Nova, it didn't turn out well.

The Fleet, at least the vanilla fleet.

I also finished off my cruiser, so it now has a small front hanger and a medbay + crew cabin behind it. They also have designations and names, finally. The vanilla version is the ERC - Vagabond (Exploration-Recon/Extended-Range Cruiser) and the Gravity cannon equipt variant is the SCD - Mangonel (Spinal Cannon Destroyer).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spookydonut posted:

What's all that debris above the ship in the last pic?

I was trying out barrel covers on the Nuke Launchers and may have learned the hard way that the Offset ones work fine but the Centered ones cause a premature nuclear event.

All things considered, it ate the blast pretty well (partly due to fully-charged shields) but I was still gonna have to swap it out anyway for a recently-saved Blueprint... so I nuked the poo poo out of it a few more times for fun.

The armor actually took them pretty well, though there's some fairly nasty internal damage focused through where it breached. The hangar bay was not a happy place, though the manufacturing cell's Small Block projector plate somehow survived without a scratch.

Jigoku San posted:

I completed a new iteration of a ship I've been working on for a long time. It got a bit bigger, a frigate to to the original design's corvette.
I present the FAF - Tourbillon (Fast Attack Frigate) and HAF - Hoplite (Heavy Attack Frigate). The heavy variant is to slow with stock, so I'm refitting it with mods.

Generational line up. From the right the first is my original "High-Performance Yacht" and the next is the upgraded version, replacing the ramps with 2x slopes and adding O2 and a jump drive. Next is a middle upgrade, thickening the wings, smoothing the engine shrouds and adding the spear tip. But the interior suffered so I classed it as a armed courier vessel. For the current version I did more shaping and used a bit of the design of my cruiser in it, plus made the black bands actual structural elements.
Sadly I don't have the original prototypes, I begain trying to make a version of the S-25 Starbridge from Escape Velocity Nova, it didn't turn out well.

The Fleet, at least the vanilla fleet.

I also finished off my cruiser, so it now has a small front hanger and a medbay + crew cabin behind it. They also have designations and names, finally. The vanilla version is the ERC - Vagabond (Exploration-Recon/Extended-Range Cruiser) and the Gravity cannon equipt variant is the SCD - Mangonel (Spinal Cannon Destroyer).

drat, that Frigate is nice :eyepop: How've you gone with integrating the Gravity Cannon? All working properly now?

• Locked thread