Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Efexeye posted:

that's kale

gently caress. man, how far the 80s garnish has come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I don't know what it is about kale. All of a sudden Manhattan is kale and quinoa as far as the eye can see.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

It took me a while to figure out that this wasn't eggplant.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Data Graham posted:

I don't know what it is about kale. All of a sudden Manhattan is kale and quinoa as far as the eye can see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcI7jgkwdCM

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
E: Never mind.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

What's the yellow stuff?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
It's supposed to be mussels.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

:spooky::spooky::spooky:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Those toenails make me gag even though I know they're just onion.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, both are even getting popular in Australia, even the back waters of WA.
I tried kale for the first time a couple of months ago, it's alright.
People have been recommending quinoa for vege burger patties around a lot too.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

People are starting to care about nutrition again. It's actually a good thing. The problem is the concept of "superfoods". That one singular thing is far better than everything else so you should eat a bunch of it and less of the rest. People argue over which is better for you: kale or spinach? Quinoa or brown rice? When in reality, it doesn't really matter because they all have their own benefits, or lack of. It's variety that's important. Things like kale, quinoa, goji berries, acai, etc have all been marketed as superfoods so people fall for it and get completely obsessed with them.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Picnic Princess posted:

People are starting to care about nutrition again. It's actually a good thing. The problem is the concept of "superfoods". That one singular thing is far better than everything else so you should eat a bunch of it and less of the rest. People argue over which is better for you: kale or spinach? Quinoa or brown rice? When in reality, it doesn't really matter because they all have their own benefits, or lack of. It's variety that's important. Things like kale, quinoa, goji berries, acai, etc have all been marketed as superfoods so people fall for it and get completely obsessed with them.
And people from countries where those things are staple foods get hosed because those are now sold to westerners at prices they can't afford.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

It's been kale and quinoa everything here for like 5 years now and I live in amish country, I refuse to believe manhattan is that far behind us

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Forgall posted:

And people from countries where those things are staple foods get hosed because those are now sold to westerners at prices they can't afford.

Further proof that you can't do anything (even eat a healthy diet) without loving over someone from another country.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Forgall posted:

Yeah, one of the things that stopped me being interested in quinoa. But they're growing it in Tas, and started to grow it in WA now.

I wish people liked Mexican and Vietnamese food here just as much as they jump on the 'superfoods' hype.
I can get all the kale and quinoa I want, but not decent mexican or Viet foods.

Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2tF-aKiPAM

Have some fake cabbage, beware asian food.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Ignimbrite posted:

Those toenails make me gag even though I know they're just onion.

They'll look much worse once they've baked. All translucent and maybe some caramelization.

(I am not saying this is AFP. This is my ambrosia when done right.)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Minarchist posted:

I tried making stir fry. It tastes okay but I'm not so sure about the presentation :ohdear:

You're on electric burners so you have an automatic disadvantage. Here's my tips:

I'm phoneposting so it's hard to see, but if that's a non stick wok, throw it out and get a carbon steel one. You need to get the wok and the oil smoking hot before you add anything, and nonstick coatings will degrade and poison you at such high temps.

Cook in small batches, and cut your chicken smaller. This will help prevent a soupy mess. I wouldn't cook more than one breast's worth at a time. So cook your chicken in batches, putting the cooked stuff aside in bowls, then cook the vegetables briefly at the end and add the chicken back last along with any sauce.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Pham Nuwen posted:

You're on electric burners so you have an automatic disadvantage. Here's my tips:

I'm phoneposting so it's hard to see, but if that's a non stick wok, throw it out and get a carbon steel one. You need to get the wok and the oil smoking hot before you add anything, and nonstick coatings will degrade and poison you at such high temps.

Cook in small batches, and cut your chicken smaller. This will help prevent a soupy mess. I wouldn't cook more than one breast's worth at a time. So cook your chicken in batches, putting the cooked stuff aside in bowls, then cook the vegetables briefly at the end and add the chicken back last along with any sauce.

I wouldn't get carbon steel pan unless you have a high BTU gas range. You really need a burner underneath a carbon steel wok big enough for the flame to run up the sides.
Carbon steel sheds heat too quickly for it to be useful on a lower heat source, also more likely to warp, making it less useful on an electric range in the end. Better off getting cast iron and taking the time for it to get hot.
A stainless pan is good for searing OTOH instead, but lovely for frying eggs, noodles and rice so it often can't do the whole job of a wok or stirfrying.
Because I don't have a decent range right now, I usually have both a 10" stainless pan going for browning meats or some veg, and a 10-12" cast iron skillet running at the same time for some other things like eggs,other veg that won't fit, or noodles or rice, mixing the contents of each at the end. In older days I had a carbon steel wok and a huge "wok burner" on a 900mm gas range oven and life was better.

E: poo poo, this isn't GWS.

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 16:50 on Oct 9, 2015

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

gently caress. man, how far the 80s garnish has come.

[squish]

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My wok is non-stick and it works just fine, learn to cook

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Crossposting from the YOSPOS pics thread.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

PCOS Bill posted:

My wok is non-stick and it works just fine, learn to cook

I swore off non-stick when I learned that at high temperatures the fumes from it can kill small birds.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

:ohdear: is that the result of someone drinking too much Bacardi, barfing into a glass and then cramming a banana in it

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Looks like...

LOOSE CORN!

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

I swore off non-stick when I learned that at high temperatures the fumes from it can kill small birds.

Are you a small bird?

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

You know that Teflon coating doesn't start to degrade until it is heated to over 500° Fahrenheit and only creates fumes noxious enough to affect humans at temperatures over 650° Fahrenheit? It's pretty easy to cook with non stick pans without killing yourself or your pets.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
If it is possible for an object to harm a small bird, you won't find it in my home, much less my kitchen, thank you very much. :chef::parrot:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

If it is possible for an object to harm a small bird, you won't find it in my home, much less my kitchen, thank you very much. :chef::parrot:

There are very few objects that CAN'T harm a small bird

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

I hate to agree with Bill on anything, but seriously. There's very little wrong with non stick stuff for most everyday uses.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

PCOS Bill posted:

There are very few objects that CAN'T harm a small bird

Personally, I wouldn't cook with anything that DIDN'T harm a small bird.

Source: I test all my new cookware by bludgeoning a small bird to death

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Is cooking considered harm

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Leaving a Teflon pan gently fuming is a great way to kill off household pests #lifehack

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

SLOSifl posted:

Leaving a Teflon pan gently fuming is a great way to kill off household pests #lifehack

What about lovely roommates?

Also I plan on getting a good steel wok at some point. The stir fry looked soupier than it was once I cooked it down a bit more, making a cornstarch ginger glaze helped a lot.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Minarchist posted:

Also I plan on getting a good steel wok at some point. The stir fry looked soupier than it was once I cooked it down a bit more, making a cornstarch ginger glaze helped a lot.

Get your own place, problem solved

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
A friend linked me this a few minutes ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K0sFKg7M4s

I have stared into the abyss.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

tribbledirigible posted:

They'll look much worse once they've baked. All translucent and maybe some caramelization.

(I am not saying this is AFP. This is my ambrosia when done right.)

Man, nothing can make me hungry like the smell of cooking onions.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Minarchist posted:

"Hey, guys, don't touch this."

[roommates touch pan]

[hit roommate with pan, roommate dead, choose more compliant roommate]

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

tribbledirigible posted:

Not even, baking will just make them look dry and burnt. Though I'd love to see the After pic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

cash crab posted:

"Hey, guys, don't touch this."

[roommates touch pan]

[hit roommate with pan, roommate dead, choose more compliant roommate]

I was hoping more for the chemical warfare route. Also I live alone now, so there's no one to :gas: but myself.

• Locked thread