Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011
I just wish there was a 100% hassle free way of buying a home. Then again, we have a better chance of obtaining world peace before that happens.

Think Carmax, but with homes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Loans being sold and changing your mortgage servicer is such a pain. In two years, this is the 4th mortgage servicer I've had.

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

Delorence Fickle posted:

I just wish there was a 100% hassle free way of buying a home. Then again, we have a better chance of obtaining world peace before that happens.

Think Carmax, but with homes.
We just made an offer on a house last night, and after signing my name 13 times I am ready for Amazon Homes (with Prime shipping). I'm already over it and I feel like the nightmare is just beginning.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

TheNinjaScotsman posted:

We just made an offer on a house last night, and after signing my name 13 times I am ready for Amazon Homes (with Prime shipping). I'm already over it and I feel like the nightmare is just beginning.

There's good parts too, but if you go in with your eyes open and some trepidation you'll have a much softer landing when reality hits.

I distinctly remember closing and slightly disconcerting everyone present because I wasn't full of starry eyed excitement.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Found a great house out in the Chicago suburbs (Downers Grove) on 2/3 of an acre, nice house, nice area. We just had our home inspection yesterday, and besides the electrical coming back as Federal Pacific Stab-Lok (and located in the basement bathroom :wtc:) which we were already planning on replacing, the only other surprised was whoever did the plumbing in the downstairs bathroom has the toilet going to an ejector pit, but the sink, bathtub, and sink at the basement wet bar draining into one of the sump pumps. All the plumbing is above the concrete, so that should keep costs down on the estimates to get the rest of those things draining to the ejector pit. Other than that, no surprises from a house lived in for 43 years by the same person. That must mean all the real bad problems are just waiting for a week after closing to show up.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Amazingly slow close continues. We put a bid in mid-August, it was accepted, we waited forever for them to produce a zoning certificate. That finally came in, we just had the appraisal come back for $7k over our accepted bid, and now we're waiting for them to get their tenants out and close. Both ours and the seller's attorney are convinced the tenant will be out by EOM and we'll close early November.

At this rate we're buying a serious fixer-upper right before winter in Chicago. I will definitely be leaning on the seller really hard if the heat isn't working on the final walk-through.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Is there a "Help, I've bought a house. Now what?" thread? Between finding another electrical short and not one but two sources of leaking water, I need DIY advice stat.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Dazerbeams posted:

Is there a "Help, I've bought a house. Now what?" thread? Between finding another electrical short and not one but two sources of leaking water, I need DIY advice stat.
DIY forum, stickied threads.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Dazerbeams posted:

The fix it fast thread is a good place to check, and the don't burn your house down electrical thread can help with specific questions.

The absolute best thing you can do is pick up a few books for reference.

Popular Mechanics Complete Home How To is a fantastic general guide

Black And Decker has the absolute best DIY guide books, and I recommend buying everything you're interested in. Everyone who owns a home should at least flip through this electrical one. Very well written, straightforward, lots of pictures and diagrams.

Codes for homeowners is another one of my favorites. I highly recommend buying books off thrift books whenever you can, even if it's the previous edition. Great site to get books for stupid cheap.

This will walk you through plumbing stuff.

Also start investing in good tools, though harbor freight is good enough for oddball stuff you'll only need once.

Most stuff is fairly easy to diy, especially if you have an idea how it works and what the common pitfalls are that most people forget or screw up.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 7, 2015

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

OSU_Matthew posted:

Most stuff is fairly easy to diy, especially if you have an idea how it works and what the common pitfalls are that most people forget or screw up.

Concerning the codes book, maybe don't rush to get that one if you aren't in the United States.

Beyond these recommendations, check YouTube if you get stuck because there is almost always someone who has made a video about it and you can watch what they do. For instance, if you want to do pretty much anything with wood, Larry Haun has you covered (it is way harder than he makes it look). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnaDklxgnGo

Also, read the god damned directions on stuff you buy. The manufacturer knows how the product is to be used/installed, listen to what they have to say.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Made an offer on a house yesterday and the sellers countered back in about an hour. I was honestly expecting a flat out rejection as the house has been on the market less than a week and we offered about 18K less than what they were asking.

This process just got real for us. :eek:

First time homebuyers and first offer we've ever made. It was supposed to be more difficult!

Rather than excitement I'm filled with dread/fear/concern at the moment.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tortilla Maker posted:

Made an offer on a house yesterday and the sellers countered back in about an hour. I was honestly expecting a flat out rejection as the house has been on the market less than a week and we offered about 18K less than what they were asking.

This process just got real for us. :eek:

First time homebuyers and first offer we've ever made. It was supposed to be more difficult!

Rather than excitement I'm filled with dread/fear/concern at the moment.

You should be; the fact that they instantly accepted your initial lowball offer should be raising some alarms in your head. Get really good inspectors, including sewer and foundation guys

e: Oh, you said countered, not accepted. My bad

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Oct 9, 2015

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

They countered. It could be like 9k less and just done. Who knows.

I'd still be filled with dread and concern because you will always get hosed buying a house, no matter how great a deal you got.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Putting in an offer on a house tonight. gently caress my life.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Antifreeze Head posted:

Concerning the codes book, maybe don't rush to get that one if you aren't in the United States.

Beyond these recommendations, check YouTube if you get stuck because there is almost always someone who has made a video about it and you can watch what they do. For instance, if you want to do pretty much anything with wood, Larry Haun has you covered (it is way harder than he makes it look). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnaDklxgnGo

Also, read the god damned directions on stuff you buy. The manufacturer knows how the product is to be used/installed, listen to what they have to say.

Also, the best DIY videos are ones with awful sound quality and picture. And the older and more technologically inept the guy doing the videos, the more informative they tend to be.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Okay here's a weird one:

Just closed on a house in Ohio. There is an adjoining vacant lot between me and the next house. Both lots are titled to a dead guy who died in 2001. The taxes piled up and eventually a tax lien certificate was sold for the parcel with the house, but not the empty lot (the lien has the physical description of the lot with the house and only lists that parcel, but references an earlier document in which the dead man's dead wife's interest in the house was transferred to him....after he died. This document lists both lots).

Last month the parcel with the house went up for tax auction and failed to sell. The judge ordered it to be transferred to the LLC that holds the tax lien, but the deed hasn't been filed yet.

Throughout all this the vacant lot sits there accruing back taxes and doesn't appear to be in default with the county yet. Still titled in the deceased's name.

Probate has been closed for over a decade and no heirs were ever registered with the court.

I don't know what's going to happen with the house, but I want the lot between us. Where the gently caress do I even start? It has about $5k in back taxes and is too small and oddly shaped to ever be rezoned for a home.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Probably start with a real estate attorney?

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Jealous Cow posted:

Okay here's a weird one:

I'm rather curious how you were able to find all of this out

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Nifty posted:

You should check your local county auditors website at some point, you can find all sorts of incredible things on there. (Assuming that's where he find it out)

Antifreeze Head posted:

^^Especially that. My new main breaker for my electrical panel came with very easy detailed instructions, even torque specs. Same with the three ceiling fans, doors, and windows, etc I've put in. Really helps out.

The codes book is really handy because it tells you how most people commonly screw something up, so you don't make the same stupid mistakes. I look at it more like guidelines for doing something properly, only one who can determine if something it's up to code is your local inspector.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Nifty posted:

County auditors website, civil court, probate court, etc. All of it is available online. I just don't know what to do next. I don't want to take some action that makes it harder to obtain title later.

I've sent emails to a few local attorneys but have had no responses. I'll keep trying.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
If you don't plan to build anything on it, you might try adverse possession. Just start using it as your land until the true owner complains, and deal with it then. If no one says anything, the land becomes yours after 21 years. I'd still talk with an attorney, but this is something to ask about. From what you said, this lot is nearly worthless to anyone but you, and given the title situation buying it from the true owner could be impossible.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
And so with his occupation-based land takeover scheme, Something Awful forum user Konstantin reveals himself to be the real life Valdimir Putin.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

If you lick the ground nobody will take it before you get a chance.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Jealous Cow posted:

County auditors website, civil court, probate court, etc. All of it is available online. I just don't know what to do next. I don't want to take some action that makes it harder to obtain title later.

I've sent emails to a few local attorneys but have had no responses. I'll keep trying.

I've dealt with a similar issue for my father in law, and know a bunch of real estate attorneys, and none of them were interested in dealing with something like that. It's a huge pain.

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

Konstantin posted:

If you don't plan to build anything on it, you might try adverse possession. Just start using it as your land until the true owner complains, and deal with it then. If no one says anything, the land becomes yours after 21 years. I'd still talk with an attorney, but this is something to ask about. From what you said, this lot is nearly worthless to anyone but you, and given the title situation buying it from the true owner could be impossible.

The first time I heard of this I assumed it was some kind of "freeman on the land" trump card to avoid these laws of lesser men.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

mastershakeman posted:

I've dealt with a similar issue for my father in law, and know a bunch of real estate attorneys, and none of them were interested in dealing with something like that. It's a huge pain.

Im reasonably intelligent. I just need an attorney to tell me what the options are so I can pursue them myself. I figure the likely outcome is the property going up for sale at a sheriff's auction so I should probably just wait it out.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

lapse posted:

The first time I heard of this I assumed it was some kind of "freeman on the land" trump card to avoid these laws of lesser men.

The history of adverse possession is a lot more boring. You don't want the represnetatives of century old creditors interfering with the use of property in the here and now, so if you've occupied a property for that time frame and put it to productive use, it's yours.

Holding a property for a significant period of time is sufficient to overcome some defects in title assuming that you pay the property taxes and everything else that an owner would do with a property.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I think I could ask the magistrate assigned to the probate case if the estate would quit claim the property to me in exchange for paying the back taxes, then ask the county judge to issue a quiet title order. I doubt anyone is going to come out of the woodworks, particularly since the estate has been in probate for 15 years with no resolution.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Just signed an offer to buy. I am making GBS threads my pants.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Use the poo poo as the ink and really kick things up into 12th gear

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
A seller's agent just contacted my wife saying the house (the only one my wife and I have both liked in a year of looking) is probably going to call through due to inspection issues and do we want a handshake deal.
We don't even have a realtor or preapproval yet but are probably going to go for it.
Oh and we have no clue what daycare costs will be like in 6 months when that becomes an issue.
Rip my budget

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Daycare can easily run 1K a month, you should really figure that out

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

skipdogg posted:

If you need care for an infant, you should be on the wait list now or you will be taking that kid to work. Advice for anyone else, the safe and cheap places you should get on the list before you find the mother or father.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Buying a house at the same time as having an infant sounds like an even worse idea than normal (it's a terrible idea to start with)

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Nail Rat posted:

Buying a house at the same time as having an infant sounds like an even worse idea than normal (it's a terrible idea to start with)

I bought mine 2 months before my oldest was born. It wasn't too bad, but I bought new construction so I didn't have to worry about much.

Elephanthead posted:

If you need care for an infant, you should be on the wait list now or you will be taking that kid to work. Advice for anyone else, the safe and cheap places you should get on the list before you find the mother or father.

Agreed, we reserved our spot with a weeks tuition 6 months before the kid was born. Infant spots are limited

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 9, 2015

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

mastershakeman posted:

A seller's agent just contacted my wife saying the house (the only one my wife and I have both liked in a year of looking) is probably going to call through due to inspection issues and do we want a handshake deal.
We don't even have a realtor or preapproval yet but are probably going to go for it.
Oh and we have no clue what daycare costs will be like in 6 months when that becomes an issue.
Rip my budget

Could you elaborate on that? What's a call through, and what are the inspection issues? Does a handshake deal just mean you're going to get your own realtor and put together an offer and inspections when you get a chance, but that you've got first crack at doing so?

:confuoot:

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.

Nail Rat posted:

At least it's not an HGTV episode. Buying a house, having a baby and planning a wedding. All while on TV? What could go wrong??

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

skipdogg posted:

This is on the low end where I live. Typical is probably more like $1400. God forbid you have twins because forget the house forget the rent. Just buy a really really big shoe.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

OSU_Matthew posted:

Could you elaborate on that? What's a call through, and what are the inspection issues? Does a handshake deal just mean you're going to get your own realtor and put together an offer and inspections when you get a chance, but that you've got first crack at doing so?

:confuoot:

We got a ton more info today: Basically, the buyers were giving a whole list of things they wanted, like having everything repainted, siding put on to replace the totally fine wood, etc that the seller was getting upset by. We'd seen this place and were very interested at the open house, and the seller's agent contacted us yesterday at noon seeing if we were still interested; turns out at 5pm the buyers pulled out and now it's not under contract.

I refused to let the seller agent act as our agent as well (although my wife was ok with it) and have to figure that out, and now we need to get preapprovals from banks. What's the best way to go about doing that? We never even got preapproved anywhere because we're trying to spend way less than what our income would allow due to the mystery number for child expenses that we don't know ($1800/mo for daycare at the local Y + who knows what else)

So advice on lenders? My father in law is a vet, so I think we can do NFCU and we're already USAA members.
Oh and of course we're way under 20% down, but we're in a very expensive area and don't want to wait until our kid is 6 to buy a home without PMI.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Spamtron7000 posted:

This is on the low end where I live. Typical is probably more like $1400. God forbid you have twins because forget the house forget the rent. Just buy a really really big shoe.

Yeah. Twins throw a real big wrench into the day care situation. Better hope you have a close family friend, because otherwise Daycare costs more than my mortgage.

Oh, I mean daycare for 3 days a week.