Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing
What happens if the goverment shuts down and the freedom caucus refuse to let it reopen? Can they cause a permanent shut down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

the moose posted:

What happens if the goverment shuts down and the freedom caucus refuse to let it reopen? Can they cause a permanent shut down?

There exists enough moderate Republicans to force a vote if so required, but basically they don't want to do that because it might cause a (bigger) split in the party.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the moose posted:

They didn't let it reopen last time. Once enough Republicans are willing to work with Democrats, they no longer matter.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Fox News is running a story about how "US Officials" have concluded the Iran deal violates the law banning trade with Iran. Expect to see this on mouthbreather FB feeds for a few months.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
These last two school shootings have been decidedly less deadly, only 1 dead and 2. I guess Ben Carson was right and his self-defence teachings are really resonating with young Americans, after all he can't shoot everyone, that's crazy.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a dogpile of good guys without guns.

A losing strategy for the NRA.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
being a democratic house of representatives member has got to be like, super relaxing

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

pathetic little tramp posted:

These last two school shootings have been decidedly less deadly, only 1 dead and 2. I guess Ben Carson was right and his self-defence teachings are really resonating with young Americans, after all he can't shoot everyone, that's crazy.
I used to live in the student ghetto and I always laughed super hard at all the "home invasions" where a bunch of armed dudes would bust into an apartment and then steal nothing and run away.

DolphinCop posted:

being a democratic house of representatives member has got to be like, super relaxing
Being Corrine Brown has got to be the best job in America.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If Nancy Pelosi can get discharge petitions through she's basically made herself host majority leader.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

greatn posted:

If Nancy Pelosi can get discharge petitions through she's basically made herself host majority leader.

Impossible! The Freedom Caucus cannot accept a functional government in a dysfunctional and broken government! :colbert:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

DolphinCop posted:

True story, being a democratic state congressman in a state with a Republican supermajority was John Grisham's day job while he wrote his first novel.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Zombie Samurai posted:

The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a dogpile of good guys without guns.

A losing strategy for the NRA.

That train almost-shooting in France a while back involved a bad guy with a gun being stopped by three good guys without guns, and conservatives couldn't even complain about it because at least one of them was Are Troops.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

greatn posted:

The Ex-Im bank is one of the few genuine ideological differences in the Republican caucus. Don't expect to see many more.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

fade5 posted:

Joementum appears to have vanished, unconfirmed rumors are that it's related to Jeb!'s piss-poor polling and Trump's continued lead in the polls, something about "an impossibility".:v:

Seriously though, Joementum hasn't posted for a while for whatever reason.

Probably same reason I'm so scarce - it's less than 30 days out until the election

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Being Corrine Brown has got to be the best job in America.

Maybe it was, but now that Florida has reverse-gerrymandered its problem districts (hers was one) she has to win over a lot of new voters in order to be re-elected

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder what Reince Priebus must be feeling right now

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

gradenko_2000 posted:

I wonder what Reince Priebus must be feeling right now

An endless stream of booze flowing into his mouth.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

evilweasel posted:

The Ex-Im bank is one of the few genuine ideological differences in the Republican caucus. Don't expect to see many more.

Is marijuana legalization still a point of division between Congressional Republicans?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Quorum posted:

That train almost-shooting in France a while back involved a bad guy with a gun being stopped by three good guys without guns, and conservatives couldn't even complain about it because at least one of them was Are Troops.

And that guy just got stabbed in San Francisco.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Talk about being totally hosed.

Those guys are gonna get arrested and the cops are going to be like "Here's a picture of the dude you stabbed with Obama at the White House, now here he is getting a medal from the President of France."

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Riosan posted:

Is marijuana legalization still a point of division between Congressional Republicans?

I think Rand is the only Republican that was really pushing that. I would expect it to be more relevant as more states legalize (so post 2016).

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

"Enlisted guy gets stabbed in a bar fight" isn't exactly shocking news.

I type this from the Tortilla Coast where GOP staffers are talking about how Rand is about to quit the race and that Carson ought to quit and run for senator in Maryland.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Apparently one of the other guys is an alumni of the college in Oregon that got shot up. I'm beginning to think these guys are bad luck.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sacramento, and he got into a fight at a gay club because he tried to defend a woman that was being attacked by multiple men.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
What the hell is going on in that guys life

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I don't know but it sounds like he could probably use a gun!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Zeroisanumber posted:

I type this from the Tortilla Coast where GOP staffers are talking about how Rand is about to quit the race and that Carson ought to quit and run for senator in Maryland.

Oh gently caress that noise. There is no way he would win that. The swing Republican vote that got Hogan into office are affluent whites in the Annapolis area and the east side of Maryland who care more about money than God and guns. They wouldn't accept his brand of dumb-poo poo conservatism.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Cabbit posted:

Apparently one of the other guys is an alumni of the college in Oregon that got shot up. I'm beginning to think these guys are bad luck.

Or something else :tinfoil:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sad coincidence, Motherjones just did an article on the race to prevent school shootings: http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/09/mass-shootings-threat-assessment-shooter-fbi-columbine

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Trabisnikof posted:

Sacramento, and he got into a fight at a gay club because he tried to defend a woman that was being attacked by multiple men.

Wait, at a gay club?

Were they mad at her?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Oh god. So apparently Ben Carson's Popeye incident probably never really happened:

quote:

A Carson spokeswoman did not respond to a request for comment Thursday or for more details as to when and where the incident occurred.

Baltimore Police said Thursday that they could not find any report related to the incident based on the little information that Carson had provided.

But here's what makes it particularly hilarious. The story that Carson presented didn't make him look good in ANY way. If he did make it up, he did so for no loving beneficial reason, which is quite impressive if you think about it.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

AlternateNu posted:

Oh gently caress that noise. There is no way he would win that. The swing Republican vote that got Hogan into office are affluent whites in the Annapolis area and the east side of Maryland who care more about money than God and guns. They wouldn't accept his brand of dumb-poo poo conservatism.

The case that he made was that Carson has enough name recognition and local hero factor to get a decent chunk of Baltimore and that the 'burbs and Eastern Maryland would follow.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
More detail on the Ellmers meeting earlier today. She's folksy!

quote:

WASHINGTON — A North Carolina congresswoman thanked fellow Republicans for their support Friday after many received incendiary emails alleging an affair between her and House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, according to two Republicans in the closed-door meeting.

The emails arrived at a time of bitter division within the House GOP and the Republican Party nationally, with hardline conservatives increasingly at odds with more establishment-aligned figures, including McCarthy.

Rep. Renee Ellmers stood up to speak in an open-microphone portion of the meeting being held the morning after McCarthy shocked the House by taking his name out of contention to become the next speaker.

She thanked fellow lawmakers for their support and prayers and said she was sorry they had received the emails. She described the messages as "batshit crazy." She said it was daunting to be a woman in Washington but that she was a "tough cookie" and could handle it.

McCarthy was not in the room at the time.

The two Republicans who described Ellmers' comments spoke on condition of anonymity to disclose the private discussion.

In a statement later, Ellmers said: "As someone who has been targeted by completely false accusations and innuendo, I have been moved by the outpouring of support and prayers from my colleagues, constituents and friends. Now I will be praying for those who find it acceptable to bear false witness."

McCarthy denied earlier this week that his decision to withdraw from the speaker's race was related to a letter from one backbench lawmaker demanding that any candidate with embarrassing misdeeds in his past should withdraw.

In recent days, several lawmakers have reported receiving emails about the allegations, apparently from a right-wing activist known for spamming Republicans.

McCarthy's spokesman declined comment.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/rep-ellmers-addresses-house-gop-on-email-rumors/ar-AAfhZLF?li=BBgzzfc

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Zeroisanumber posted:

Rand better drop out soon, I need to make back the money the pope hosed me over on.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Or something else :tinfoil:

I guess we'll have to wait and see about the third guy to see if this is going full Final Destination.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Teflon Don posted:

He's living out his origin story, in ten years he'll be flying around SF with a cape and gadgets.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Teflon Don posted:

The reason conservatives were pretty quiet about it is because the rumour is that the dudes on the train were literally a gay couple on a vacation in france to wine country.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

North Carolinians won't like that. Ladies aren't allowed to swear and all that.

Then again she does have an R next to her name, so maybe she'll get a free pass.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Zeroisanumber posted:

The case that he made was that Carson has enough name recognition and local hero factor to get a decent chunk of Baltimore and that the 'burbs and Eastern Maryland would follow.

I don't see a bible thumping doctor getting any more of Baltimore County than what Hogan got regardless of race, and that was in a mid-term. He might get a few more votes out of Baltimore City from the Black Evangelical block, but the Dem machine there is pretty rabid. If anything would get him the seat, it would be siphoning votes out of Prince George's and Montgomery counties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Hahaha when the story got broken by that red-headed floor shitter guy I can't believe anyone took it seriously.

• Locked thread