Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Currently slamming into the rock wall that is grinding for enough credits for T8 ships. Already researched Mogami, and am only ~10,000 exp away from Amagi, but the credits needed; oh God the credits... Still need like 3 million just for Mogami, and realistically 4 million to outfit some basic stuff. And yes, I know it's going to be far worse past that.

Still, planning on keeping most of my T7 ships(Myoko, Nagato, possibly Hiryuu) both for purposes of ranking battles, and because I plan on buying new captains for T8+. Just starting to take an incredible amount of time to actually retrain them. 7 is also still reasonably good for credit grinding, if possibly not as good at 5 or 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Stalkerr posted:

Just got my Cleveland last night! Any tips for a new Cleveland driver? It feels like a really fast battleship with no armor. I got absolutely annihilated from 20 km by some Tier VIII battleships earlier... not sure if aimbot, or...?

There are two kinds of Cleveland - at ranges past 12km its rough to hit ships unless its a slow BB or they dont ever turn. But once you get closer and the trajectory flattens out a bit you just Peter North red dudes. One thing I think the Cleveland is surprisingly good at is charging right towards enemy DDs - especially the IJN ones. Even with only the two forward turrets shooting, if you're close enough to un-stealth him he is going to suffer a ton of critical hits. Once he panics and fires his torps and you turn out of their path then you can bring the aft turrets to bear and finish it.

Any battleship will hurt you so try to never show your broadside. I managed to double citadel a Cleveland at 20km in a New Mexico. Always look to be approaching or moving away from them at an angle, which makes judging lead a lot harder. Keep wiggling with slight rudder shifts and they will struggle to hit you with more than a shell or two in a salvo. If you set the back of a BB on fire, try to land your next shots elsewhere and stack that extra damage. Tirpitzes suck because their guns seem to have a higher velocity and good accuracy.

Lakedaimon fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 9, 2015

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I think it says a lot that the Cleveland is probably the best ship in this game but just so loving boring to play.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'll come back mostly to grind up op Russian DDs. Because DD driving is fun. And being able to out dps some cruisers vs BBs is absurd I kinda burnt out until.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tahirovic posted:

I think it says a lot that the Cleveland is probably the best ship in this game but just so loving boring to play.

This. I can't stand playing the Cleveland because it only has one trick. It's a good trick, but it's enormously boring.

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
its moments like this that keep me playing this horrible game sometimes. :allears:

https://streamable.com/2wb1

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
So I'm still curious, how do the various nations/classes stack up against each other at tier 10? I kinda want to play again a bit, but I don't feel like grinding more than one or two lines.

Mostly, I'm interested in whether Japanese cruisers tend to be better than US ones. The same with battleships.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Adventure Pigeon posted:

So I'm still curious, how do the various nations/classes stack up against each other at tier 10? I kinda want to play again a bit, but I don't feel like grinding more than one or two lines.

Mostly, I'm interested in whether Japanese cruisers tend to be better than US ones. The same with battleships.

The IJN cruiser and battleship are quite a bit better than the USN ones, according to stats: http://warshipstats.com/analytics/

53.2% vs 49.6% Win Rate for Yamato vs Montana.

52.7% vs 49.0% Win Rate for Zao vs Des Moines.

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

I got a survey from WG today in my email, and I told them exactly what was right/wrong with this game.

Had a good match in my now fully-upgraded Wyoming. Having a range advantage against everything else in the match feels really OP :smug:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Adventure Pigeon posted:

US cruisers are very weak 7-9. Des Moines is better, but allegedly still below average. US battleships are mostly fine, but Yamato does better than Montana.

Japanese cruisers and battleships are both fine, except lovely AP ammo on the stock battleship hulls and mediocre tier 9s (still better than the US tier 7-9 cruisers). Japanese battleships are probably the strongest ship line overall.

It's not clear how the Nazi cruisers will compare.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

USa has the best CV, for everything else IJN is better. And poo poo, the IJN CVs are really good too so basically just play Japanese ships if you want the good tier Xs

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

anyone have the write up on the atlanta? i hate them so much seeing them in the game that im awfully tempted to buy one and wreck poo poo. this worked when i bought the e25 in WOT but $44 is pretty steep for a pixel boat

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I haven't got one but having seen plenty they are really the biggest glass cannons in the game. If you can get a situation where you can fire on something unmolested the DPS is insane, its one of the most debilitating things to be on the end of the HE spam.

Also the AA is supposed to be the best in the game as well, even if the numbers are not as high as other ships.

I would love one, if even to retrain US captains, but I also believe this is the best ship for Ranked 7v7 battles due to the AA and how good the ship is vs DDs.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Atlanta owns bones, it's currently my highest average xp boat at like 1700+. It shits out fire and absolutely murders and DDs that get close to it. It also has torps which are a nasty surprise for unsuspecting BBs and anyone else rounding a headland into an ambush. The AA is very good WHEN YOU USE THE COOLDOWN, as the cooldown buffs the outermost layer of AA guns by 6x damage, which for the atlanta is its 16 5" DP main battery. Off cooldown is still quite good. Mine is fit out specifically for AA and when planes actually come near me they are shredded.

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com
So i've downloaded this and played a quick co-op match, and I have a question for you who've been at this for a while. Is there really no way to invert your mouse look? It seems like such a no brainer that I can't believe they never added it, which must mean that i've somehow missed the option in the menu somewhere.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Das_Ubermike posted:

So i've downloaded this and played a quick co-op match, and I have a question for you who've been at this for a while. Is there really no way to invert your mouse look? It seems like such a no brainer that I can't believe they never added it, which must mean that i've somehow missed the option in the menu somewhere.

IIRC there are like 50 threads about this on the forums, the developers are aware people give a poo poo about it now so who knows.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Do not actually do this. The lines waver in how good they are all the time, and if you are not playing 24/7 the grind will easily take you a few months.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Can't believe Wargaming still hasn't done poo poo with edge grinding. Treat edge like land, problem loving solved ffs. Game's just turning into :pgi: level poo poo and boring.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

I've been wary of taking my Atlanta into ranked battles, it's a fun ship, but the Cleveland poses a serious problem, also incoming fire in general poses an enormous problem for it as it has an easy to hit citadel, weak armor, and most damningly, it's turrets are easy to knock out.

Getting hit frequently results in losing a turret or two.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

Aesis posted:

Can't believe Wargaming still hasn't done poo poo with edge grinding. Treat edge like land, problem loving solved ffs. Game's just turning into :pgi: level poo poo and boring.

They have done something and have already stated what they're doing next and what they'll try if that doesn't work.

Edit: specifics: They are looking at ships losing speed and not turning quickly if they hit a border (not an outright stop) this is the last of their "soft" solutions. If that doesn't work they check hard solutions, but in testing having it act like land was teeeeerrible.

Victor Surge fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 28, 2018

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Aesis posted:

You realize that the grind will stay as it is?
Just hop over to Armored Warfare. Obsidian just increased rewards because people said "Hey this grind maybe is a bit slow at times." and they said "Yeah you are right okay more rewards for everyone."

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Michaellaneous posted:

You realize that the grind will stay as it is?
Just hop over to Armored Warfare. Obsidian just increased rewards because people said "Hey this grind maybe is a bit slow at times." and they said "Yeah you are right okay more rewards for everyone."

Does Armored Warfare have ships tho

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

PirateBob posted:

Does Armored Warfare have ships tho

Yes.

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
I'm new to the game and really garbage. Can anyone spell out in more concrete terms than the op where citadels are? Is it like war thunder where if you know what you are doing you can do critical or disabling damage in one salvo so long as you aim it right? I keep getting hits of 3 or 4 shells and only doing about 750 damage (in a tier 2 CL). If i'm within brawling range am i better served with he or ap?

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Robo Turnus posted:

I'm new to the game and really garbage. Can anyone spell out in more concrete terms than the op where citadels are? Is it like war thunder where if you know what you are doing you can do critical or disabling damage in one salvo so long as you aim it right? I keep getting hits of 3 or 4 shells and only doing about 750 damage (in a tier 2 CL). If i'm within brawling range am i better served with he or ap?
Citadels afaik are generally under smokestacks and turrets. If you are in brawling range and enemy is broadside to you use AP. If its prow or stern to you use HE. Dont use AP against St. Louis. It generally useless in my experience and you kinda want to blow up its guns and set it on fire with HE.

If you playing on EU you might want to watch this replay of me in Murmansk. 2000xp game and imo its good demonstration of AP and HE use. http://depositfiles.com/files/fh4j4dfdk

Lady Morgaga fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 10, 2015

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Stanley Pain posted:

Anyone who shoots you is an aimbot, true story.

It's only an aimbotter if they are shooting at you and hit but due to your terrible play you cannot manage to land a single hit in return. Never mind the fact that the entire time you were raging in chat instead of trying to focus on trying to hit the target. ;)

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

ATL trip report: no regrets over my atlanta purchase.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
So I noticed that Aslain's doesn't seem to have the overhead view anymore. Has that been removed or are there still mods with it?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Eye of Sauron was the only real use for the overhead as well as another random mod that utilized overhead but they are done for without scripts enabled anymore.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I should be done with the Myoko tonight. Im probably gonna use some free xp to unlock the fire control and probably the first hull on the Mogami. Do the second/third hulls give you any hidden bonuses like ROF, turret speed, better ammunition? Im assuming not because its not like a WW1 vintage ship like the Kongo/Fuso.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

guidoanselmi posted:

ATL trip report: no regrets over my atlanta purchase.

:hf:

Isn't the way it vomits shells on chain fire just beautiful? :allears:

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
There are no 'hidden' boni in the game unless you count bad menu design. If you click on the hull and then expand the side menu (Artillery, AA, etc.) it shows you exactly what the upgrade will change on every stat.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
I never see anyone in the SEAMN chat group anymore, am i just in the wrong one or is the aamount of goons playing steadily declining already? rip

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
In game? There's like seven or eight chat channels all named SEAMN which is par for the course with us. The TS channel has ups and downs.. people are mostly unsociable and don't like to play with anyone which I have learned over the years. Unless it's Eve..

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Playing in a division makes the games 10000x more bearable. Why do i do this to myself? :smithicide:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Just had a match where I did 140k damage in a Minekaze. Definitely doesn't need another nerf :v:

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

hahaha i just saw a carrier kill a bb with its secondaries

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

TehKeen posted:

hahaha i just saw a carrier kill a bb with its secondaries

I have actually seen that more than once. I once saw a DD fire a spread of torps, miss, fire another spread, miss, then blow up due to CV secondaries just picking away at it. Obviously the DD was on my team.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Burt posted:

I once saw a DD fire a spread of torps, miss, fire another spread, miss, then blow up due to CV secondaries just picking away at it. Obviously the DD was on my team.

Seen that twice. On my team both times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I've both killed a DD via CV secondaries before, and had the dubious fortune of being Detonated by a CV's secondaries while in a DD myself. It was a spectacularly unlucky shot.