Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

wtftastic posted:

Thanks captain genius! In case its never happened to you, its really easy to accidentally mouse over them in the course of reading the thread.

Most of us want to actually see the stuff for ourselves instead of obsessively reading through the datamined poo poo so that there's actually something new to look forward to.

If you don't want to even risk accidentally mousing over a spoiler, either use page up/page down/arrow keys to navigate threads about products that have material currently in development or don't read them at all. I don't see "NO SPOILERS THREAD" in the title name, do you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Spoiler text still looks different when you mouse over it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Let's just minimize spoiler talk, period. This game is all about story, so I encourage you guys to avoid spoilers and play it yourselves.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Non-spoilers question: is space PVE worth doing at all? Like, I mean the heroics at the end. Is their payout kind of worth it at all for the cost of upgrading your ship, or is there GSF stuff you can buy with space comms?

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

Have they done any kind of ability streamlining in the past year for this game? I remember pvp healing on my Operative with 374832 abilities and nowhere near enough keybinds.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Berke Negri posted:

Non-spoilers question: is space PVE worth doing at all? Like, I mean the heroics at the end. Is their payout kind of worth it at all for the cost of upgrading your ship, or is there GSF stuff you can buy with space comms?

It's the only way to get a few of the achievements. But it's totally distinct from GSF.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Berke Negri posted:

I couldn't ever get into it. It's like the old school on-rails arcade games, giving you the illusion of being in a space fighter game. But it's good supplemental XP and money.

Toozler posted:

Have they done any kind of ability streamlining in the past year for this game? I remember pvp healing on my Operative with 374832 abilities and nowhere near enough keybinds.

You'll get mixed responses. Operative (Concealment) got a bit easier. I don't think there's much ability bloat at all, but I use a Razer Naga mouse and came from Everquest which had 10,534,335 abilities to manage.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Medullah posted:

Let's just minimize spoiler talk, period. This game is all about story, so I encourage you guys to avoid spoilers and play it yourselves.

How about spoiler talk about storylines in the game? I've had a few posts talking about cool/weird stuff I've run into as an Inquisitor, for example; should I not do that?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

prefect posted:

How about spoiler talk about storylines in the game? I've had a few posts talking about cool/weird stuff I've run into as an Inquisitor, for example; should I not do that?

Yeah, just remember there's a lot of new people coming to the game with KOTFE that might not have seen the storylines so spoiler when in doubt.

Examples -

Okay to not spoiler - "I really love the dark side choice the BH gets to make on Alderaan with the nobles."

Should spoiler - "Whoah, I can't believe the Jedi Knight has to fight the XXX at the end of his act 3!

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

What should I trade in my jawa junk for to sell before the xpac?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Medullah posted:

Yeah, just remember there's a lot of new people coming to the game with KOTFE that might not have seen the storylines so spoiler when in doubt.

Examples -

Okay to not spoiler - "I really love the dark side choice the BH gets to make on Alderaan with the nobles."

Should spoiler - "Whoah, I can't believe the Jedi Knight has to fight the XXX at the end of his act 3!

I should have clarified that I used spoiler tags liberally; some things like the end of act 1 for Inquisitors are super-cool, and you don't want that ruined.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Hulk Smash! posted:

All of these questions - and more! - are answered in the OP, which is just a few pages away that-a way.

Thanks. I am going to go Op. I love the idea of a healer that can stealth.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

prefect posted:

I should have clarified that I used spoiler tags liberally; some things like the end of act 1 for Inquisitors are super-cool, and you don't want that ruined.

Yeah, some people are just bad at spoiler tagging so I like to be careful.

Like, "Holy poo poo, can you believe that Luke fights Vader at the end of Return of the Jedi, and then Vader throws his OWN master off the balcony???"

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

For myself I've found some specs better than others when it comes to ability fatigue. Like, concealment operative was very easy to jump into and you're probably using less than ten abilities any battle, while assassin tank was just not real fun for me to play because there's so many things that need to be on cooldown.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Berke Negri posted:

For myself I've found some specs better than others when it comes to ability fatigue. Like, concealment operative was very easy to jump into and you're probably using less than ten abilities any battle, while assassin tank was just not real fun for me to play because there's so many things that need to be on cooldown.

Infiltration shadow is the simplest I've found. It's almost entirely spinning kick out of stealth, clairvoyant strike, potency on cooldown, whirling blow in execute range, then three other abilities when the procs light them up.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Concealment Operative is great because it doesn't always require you to be on top of a complex rotation but can be. If you're just dealing with boring old Strongs, just mindlessly Shiv, Poison Dart, Lacerate, Backstab, etc. but as combat becomes more complex, you can start bouncing between adds CCing with stun, root, flashbang. And if all else fails, Cloaking Screen and come back for more. :v:

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Well I've well and truly gotten sucked in now.

Thanks to whomever used my referral code, the 110% speeder is fantastically useful.

Still have my Marauder that I'm working through (on Taris atm) and I'll try to get him up to max level this weekend, but as I have severe alt-itis I've also got a JK and a Smuggler that are in the teens that I'll fish around for invites to the Pub guild tonight.

Next on the docket is rolling either an Agent or a Bounty Hunter so I can get to do all of the 4 starting areas because I think that'll be more fun than coming back to any of the other 3. I keep hearing fantastic things about the Agent storyline, and was curious if the experience will be markedly different for a female vs male? Saw something in the last thread I think about the female being the best story in the game but couldn't remember for sure.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I played this at launch, but got bogged down in all the extremely boring cookie-cutter side quests. I didn't make it far. I really liked the story missions though.

I tried again when it went F2P, and it was about the same story, except now I ran a lot slower, it wanted me to pay for a freaking hotbar (most ridiculous F2P thing I've seen in a non-Asian MMO), and was about to pay some money when I realized I still really was not enjoying the game outside of the story missions.

I seriously think both times I was only in the teens or something. I had left newb planet, went to a city, did some poo poo in the woods or something? I dunno.

Game worth coming back to? Should I wait until the expansion hits first for a fresh playthrough with all the updates coming? I'm okay with doing a few sidequests here and there since F2P gets nerfed exp, but can you really just do your class quest now to the max level?

And it's not like a beggar on the streets. I'm not adverse to dropping $15 or whatever, getting to max level and experiencing the class story. But it'd be nice if F2P was an actual option.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

xZAOx posted:

I played this at launch, but got bogged down in all the extremely boring cookie-cutter side quests. I didn't make it far. I really liked the story missions though.

I tried again when it went F2P, and it was about the same story, except now I ran a lot slower, it wanted me to pay for a freaking hotbar (most ridiculous F2P thing I've seen in a non-Asian MMO), and was about to pay some money when I realized I still really was not enjoying the game outside of the story missions.

I seriously think both times I was only in the teens or something. I had left newb planet, went to a city, did some poo poo in the woods or something? I dunno.

Game worth coming back to? Should I wait until the expansion hits first for a fresh playthrough with all the updates coming? I'm okay with doing a few sidequests here and there since F2P gets nerfed exp, but can you really just do your class quest now to the max level?

And it's not like a beggar on the streets. I'm not adverse to dropping $15 or whatever, getting to max level and experiencing the class story. But it'd be nice if F2P was an actual option.

You won't be able to play the expansion content as F2P so there's that. It's subs only.

Subscribing now would get you 12xp but only until the 18th. Which is enough to level one character to 60. Come 4.0 on the 19th you'll need to do class stories AND planetary content to get to 60 (or 65). It's all worth doing at least once though. If $15/month is not a big deal the game is MUCH better as a subscriber. F2P miss out on too many QOL things, IMO.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Planetary quests are the linked main story on each planet anyway, they're far from side quests.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I also just came back after not playing since launch and I love the bonus class mission xp, but I also kind of miss doing the planet quests now that I'm getting to planets I haven't done before. I think the 6x bonus for planet and class will be a good split of things to do, for now it's just too hard to rationalize doing them when I could get 12x the xp doing class missions.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Ort posted:

I also just came back after not playing since launch and I love the bonus class mission xp, but I also kind of miss doing the planet quests now that I'm getting to planets I haven't done before. I think the 6x bonus for planet and class will be a good split of things to do, for now it's just too hard to rationalize doing them when I could get 12x the xp doing class missions.

You mean it's hard to rationalize leaving incomplete triangle markers on the map. Must clear all the mission markers. What's that? I'm 8 levels over this side mission? That'll just make it faster to complete!

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Jan posted:

You mean it's hard to rationalize leaving incomplete triangle markers on the map. Must clear all the mission markers. What's that? I'm 8 levels over this side mission? That'll just make it faster to complete!

Used to play this with a friend who would repeatedly make me help him run through quests he was way overleveled for, then be surprised when he didn't get poo poo for them. YOU CLEAR THE MISSION MARKER BY loving ABANDONING THE QUEST AND DOING IT LATER ON YOUR ELEVENTH ALT.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Crindee posted:

Used to play this with a friend who would repeatedly make me help him run through quests he was way overleveled for, then be surprised when he didn't get poo poo for them. YOU CLEAR THE MISSION MARKER BY loving ABANDONING THE QUEST AND DOING IT LATER ON YOUR ELEVENTH ALT.

The fleets on my 12x only characters are nothing but a sea of triangles.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

The fleets on my 12x only characters are nothing but a sea of triangles.

I'm really glad that all that's going away on the 19th Finally that Illum starter quest will be gone from my logbook!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Shamelessly shilling my referral for the new thread... you people coming back, please clicky:

http://www.swtor.com/r/TkMbdV

I want free money and you want free poo poo! Everyone wins! :pcgaming:

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Casyl posted:

I might have an extra pair of the gauntlets on one of my toons, but I'll have to check later today.

I'm still quite interested. Some people finally posted some gloves, but for 4 million and up, so...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Oedzi not sure what time you were thinking of running EC but I'll probably be on around 8:30ish EDT. We could do a lockout swap to get a few of the mounts for people if there's enough interest.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I won't be available, unfortunately. I get off of work at 8 tonight and probably won't be able to get logged in until 9-ish.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'll be on later tonight and my juggernaut is hungry for a karagga hat

probably after 8, closer to 9 if people are still doing poo poo

Also, juggernaut tank spec is fun as heck to play, but I haven't actually played it in a group with real people yet. I think the most common complaint I've heard about it is that it's hard to hold aggro; does that mean it's hard to pick up groups, because jugg has limited aoe options (apart from spinning slash or whatever the conal is called, all the good stuff is on cooldowns), or does it actually struggle to hold single target threat too?

I'm trying to get a sense of the pitfalls before I start playing it for real, but the dulfy guide is aimed at significantly less forgiving content than I plan to play, I can't tell how much of it I really need to heed.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

They're not as bad as they were before 3.0 at threat management. The biggest problem before was that Crushing Blow would only hit multiple targets if you used it on a mob that you had first hit with sundering strike, so if your DPS burned the mob you sundered you were down your biggest AOE threat generator until sundering strike was back off cool down. Now it works similar, it only spreads after you hit a mob with Aegis Assault but it's reliant on the buff Aegis gives you instead. Add that to smash and saber reflect generating massive threat you're in pretty good shape. They just lack a strong AOE opener like Wither or Firestorm. But Juggs are way more fun than Powertech so it's worth it. :D

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Medullah posted:

Examples -

They changed the JK storyline to make you fight Vin Diesel/Ice Cube?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Medullah posted:

They're not as bad as they were before 3.0 at threat management. The biggest problem before was that Crushing Blow would only hit multiple targets if you used it on a mob that you had first hit with sundering strike, so if your DPS burned the mob you sundered you were down your biggest AOE threat generator until sundering strike was back off cool down. Now it works similar, it only spreads after you hit a mob with Aegis Assault but it's reliant on the buff Aegis gives you instead. Add that to smash and saber reflect generating massive threat you're in pretty good shape. They just lack a strong AOE opener like Wither or Firestorm. But Juggs are way more fun than Powertech so it's worth it. :D

If only the utility that reset Force Leap/Saber Throw every time combat ended reset Saber Reflect.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Keshik posted:

I'm still quite interested. Some people finally posted some gloves, but for 4 million and up, so...

I do have the extra pair. I'll send them soon.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
So, are the companion changes only in effect in the new content, or will they be as rad during leveling?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FishFood posted:

So, are the companion changes only in effect in the new content, or will they be as rad during leveling?

Bioware's said they'll be in for leveling. It's the whole Alliance system they still haven't talked about because it's heavily involved with the KOTFE story that will be restricted to the expansion.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Oh thank God, gearing companions was the most tedious thing

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

FishFood posted:

Oh thank God, gearing companions was the most tedious thing

Yup. "Every class gets 5 robust* companions with rich** backstories! You'll use the healer for the whole game"

*not robust
**or rich

Medullah posted:

That's good. I'll tell you this, jugg tank is the most fun I've had playing through solo content so far. You're just a leaping, smashing, pushing, choking, wrecking ball of invincible destruction. Definitely getting my darth vader fix from it.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

On the other hand I'm trying to level a Marauder since Warrior is the only class I haven't gotten to 50 yet and I'm barely to Nar Shadaa and want to shoot myself. :shepicide: Hate rage-type energy mechanics so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

So the Amazon bundle won't actually let you level past 55 until the 27th, am I reading this correctly?

To get to 60 before KOTFE releases I would have to buy the Shadows of Revan expac separately?

• Locked thread