Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
Bed Bath and Beyond has a Fontignac Round 5-Quart Casserole in Blue For $100 with free shipping if the 8 Qt is too big/heavy/won't fit in your oven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
I don't think the 8 qt would be workable to be honest. Its HUGE! I am not sure if my oven would be happy trying to hold that full of stuff, let alone me. I need bigger muscles!! Not to mention, my freezer is only so big...it can't hold too many leftovers lol Well, that works out well though because my husband mans his way through leftovers like a champ.

The 6 qt seems to be a good size, but thank you for the ideas :)

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Disco Salmon posted:

Looking into getting a cast iron dutch oven, possibly enameled.

So in your opinions, what is the size that would be most useful over all? I was thinking a 6 qt one like this one http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N4YCVQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_10&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER Alternatively any other ideas?

There is really just the two of us here most of the time, but we do have occasional guests over...so I am thinking the larger one might be nice.

Looks like you probably already ordered it. Just throwing in my 2 cents to stave off buyer's remorse. I picked up one of these last year on the cheap because I had a gift card. I was sad to find out that they're not made in the USA, but honestly that's the only downside. It's a good size for my wife and I. Most recipes I've tried are designed for a pot of this size and it provides us with leftovers. Since it is glass enamel, you do have to take care when washing it, and it cannot go on high heat. I made a mistake about which stove eye I turned on, and I think I did put a small hairline crack in mine. It's something to watch out for - the enamel hasn't come off the inside yet so I think it's fine. I did something, banged it too hard on something and chipped the outside bottom :(

I leave it out on the stove all the time, the blue is a really pretty color and goes well with our kitchen. Keep the rubber spacers for the lid - they help keep it open to air it out after washing and keep the lid from damaging the pot during storage. If the enamel does start coming off, treat it with oil like any other cast iron - or so says America's Test Kitchen. Frankly, it's a great pot and is great for soups, stews, and anything else and will last forever.

I picked up a 6" Lodge skillet today. I'm pretty excited to get it seasoned up and cook single eggs for my breakfasts. My wife also pointed out that it's a good size for skillet cookies, too. :btroll:

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

QuarkMartial posted:

Looks like you probably already ordered it. Just throwing in my 2 cents to stave off buyer's remorse. I picked up one of these last year on the cheap because I had a gift card. I was sad to find out that they're not made in the USA, but honestly that's the only downside. It's a good size for my wife and I. Most recipes I've tried are designed for a pot of this size and it provides us with leftovers. Since it is glass enamel, you do have to take care when washing it, and it cannot go on high heat. I made a mistake about which stove eye I turned on, and I think I did put a small hairline crack in mine. It's something to watch out for - the enamel hasn't come off the inside yet so I think it's fine. I did something, banged it too hard on something and chipped the outside bottom :(

I leave it out on the stove all the time, the blue is a really pretty color and goes well with our kitchen. Keep the rubber spacers for the lid - they help keep it open to air it out after washing and keep the lid from damaging the pot during storage. If the enamel does start coming off, treat it with oil like any other cast iron - or so says America's Test Kitchen. Frankly, it's a great pot and is great for soups, stews, and anything else and will last forever.

I picked up a 6" Lodge skillet today. I'm pretty excited to get it seasoned up and cook single eggs for my breakfasts. My wife also pointed out that it's a good size for skillet cookies, too. :btroll:

Nope have not ordered it yet... doing price comparisons atm. thanks for the info though!

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Make sure you use camelcamelcamel to double check you're not buying at a price peak too.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

CrazySalamander posted:

Make sure you use camelcamelcamel to double check you're not buying at a price peak too.

I didn't know about that one...thanks for that!

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Made latkes made out of malanga in my skillet.

Good stuff

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Well, got those old unloved pans sanded down a bit back, and started on reasoning them. Got tiger stripes a little bit, so I guess for beginning its not a terrible start. I have taken everyone's advice to heart, and cooked bacon in it etc etc. Well, this morning I had to freeze some ground beef that was in the fridge still from the other day. I got it all packed away, but held some back and thought, why not try making a smashburger like I saw you all talking about?

I did, I ate, I fell in love. I do think its probably one of the best burgers I have ever made in my life. All I did was add a little salt and pepper to the meat before getting it together to put in the pan, and it was incredible. Now, I see why I have heard so many good things about cast iron.

I really think I understand now why you all love the cast iron so much. I can see me going down that road too :) At the moment though, I am happy with my little 5 qt dutch oven and 8 & 10 inch pans. They have been in use almost constantly.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the info you guys had for taking care of the pans, seasoning, and so on....these really are amazing little pieces of metal.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Disco Salmon posted:

Well, got those old unloved pans sanded down a bit back, and started on reasoning them. Got tiger stripes a little bit, so I guess for beginning its not a terrible start. I have taken everyone's advice to heart, and cooked bacon in it etc etc. Well, this morning I had to freeze some ground beef that was in the fridge still from the other day. I got it all packed away, but held some back and thought, why not try making a smashburger like I saw you all talking about?

I did, I ate, I fell in love. I do think its probably one of the best burgers I have ever made in my life. All I did was add a little salt and pepper to the meat before getting it together to put in the pan, and it was incredible. Now, I see why I have heard so many good things about cast iron.

I really think I understand now why you all love the cast iron so much. I can see me going down that road too :) At the moment though, I am happy with my little 5 qt dutch oven and 8 & 10 inch pans. They have been in use almost constantly.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the info you guys had for taking care of the pans, seasoning, and so on....these really are amazing little pieces of metal.

If you're just one dude then a 5qt DO, 8" and 10" skillets are all you ever really need.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I've been making a no-knead focaccia lately that has its second rise in cast iron that you dump olive oil into. Not only does it create a delicious, crackly crisp bottom on the bread, but every loaf I make only deepens the seasoning on the pan. It's win-win!

(recipe is here; I've never actually made it with olives and pistachios, but every topping I've ever used has been terrific)

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Crazyeyes posted:

If you're just one dude then a 5qt DO, 8" and 10" skillets are all you ever really need.

lol well dudette and my husband, so i think we are set!! Thank you :)

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Chiming in with my current favorite recipe for an "oh poo poo I have to feed people" sort of night - a decidedly nontraditional take on claypot rice.

Original recipe is here. Below are all the steps, including my variations. I like to double the recipe, which fits perfectly into my twelve-inch cast iron skillet from Lodge, but YMMV. The ingredients below are not doubled. When it's doubled, it's enough for a side for six people or a main course for two or three.

1 cup rice (I prefer basmati, but use what you want)
2 cups mushrooms, sliced or chopped in quarters if whole (a mixture of mushroom types is best, but white buttons work just as fine)
2 scallions, coarsely chopped (I often use an entire bunch for my doubled version)
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon soy sauce (or more, whatever)
2 thick slices of fatty bacon, cut into 1/2-inch dice
Optional - one small diced spicy sausage, such as sopressato or hot Italian sausage
1 shallot, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
1 cup water or chicken broth (broth is better)
Optional - 1 tablespoons nam pla
Optional - 2 tablespoons chili garlic paste (Sriracha brand is what I prefer)

1. Soak rice in hot water for up to an hour. Drain.
2. In a separate bowl, toss mushrooms and scallions in soy sauce, season with salt and pepper, and let it sit for ten minutes (or more, whatever).
3. Separately, mix chicken broth (or water, if you don't have any broth on hand) with the extra teaspoon of soy sauce and, if you're using it, the nam pla and the chili garlic paste. Set aside.
4. In a cast-iron skillet, cook the bacon (and other sausage, if you're using it) over moderate heat until the fat is rendered and the bacon is crisp, about 5 minutes. Add chopped shallot, cook until softened. Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring regularly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the soaked rice and stir to coat with the fat. Add the marinated mushrooms and scallions (and whatever soy sauce hasn't been soaked up), then the chicken broth mixture. Bring to a boil over moderately high heat.
5. Cover the pot and cook the rice over low heat until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed, 10 minutes.
6. (Optional - I'm too lazy to do this, plus it's a pain in the rear end to clean.) Raise the heat to high and cook the rice, covered, until sizzling and a crust forms on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork and serve.
7. Stuff your faces. Repeat.

Other options: for those who don't like mushrooms and are therefore terrible people, you can sub pre-roasted tofu or shredded, cooked chicken. Still soak the substitute protein in the soy sauce mixture for a bit.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
That sounds good. I wonder how it might freeze. I'd like to make a big batch and eat on it for lunches during the week.

Not cast iron, but handy: crock pot food warmer. Holds 2 cups and is great to heat up things like soups, beans, etc. Something like this would be good too, I think.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

QuarkMartial posted:

That sounds good. I wonder how it might freeze. I'd like to make a big batch and eat on it for lunches during the week.

It's got a decent amount of fat in it from the bacon; as long as you refrigerate it well and then reheat it I can't imagine it wouldn't work well.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

my cast iron is in crisis!!

I have a big lodge cast iron skillet that I've been using regularly and taking good care of for a couple of years now. I've never done any kind of tomato sauce or anything in it before for reasons, but I've read enough poo poo about how it's fine to do in well seasoned cast iron and I've been building up the seasoning long enough that I wasn't too worried about making some shakshuka in it for breakfast. I cleaned the pan right afterwords and loving god drat it I can see speckles of sliver shining through the seasoning across the pan and up the sides. gently caress

The seasoning on it was built on the original Lodge pre-seasoning. Can I reseason on top of what's left or should I just nuke it from orbit first and start fresh?

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

The Goatfather posted:

I have a big lodge cast iron skillet that I've been using regularly and taking good care of for a couple of years now. I've never done any kind of tomato sauce or anything in it before for reasons, but I've read enough poo poo about how it's fine to do in well seasoned cast iron and I've been building up the seasoning long enough that I wasn't too worried about making some shakshuka in it for breakfast. I cleaned the pan right afterwords and loving god drat it I can see speckles of sliver shining through the seasoning across the pan and up the sides. gently caress

The seasoning on it was built on the original Lodge pre-seasoning. Can I reseason on top of what's left or should I just nuke it from orbit first and start fresh?

I say adopt an all-bacon diet and keep using it.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Fry cutlets every day. You'll be fine.

In other news, I got a dutch oven with a roast trivet and fry basket from my gram. I've reseasoned it. What should I make first? Something I can pair with cast iron skillet cornbread, because my buttermilk is getting old...

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Missing Name posted:

Fry cutlets every day. You'll be fine.

In other news, I got a dutch oven with a roast trivet and fry basket from my gram. I've reseasoned it. What should I make first? Something I can pair with cast iron skillet cornbread, because my buttermilk is getting old...

The only acceptable answer for "pairs with cornbread" is chili.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
You forgot about beans. Add in some some sausage or ham and you're all set.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
It begins

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
The Three Commandments of Chili
1. If your chili has beans, tomatoes, or any other ingredient, it's still chili.
2. Your chili is stew, whether or not it contains beans, tomatoes, or any other ingredient.
3. Texas bowl of red, Cincinnati chili, and any other style is merely a type of chili. There is no one most authentic chili recipe.

now can we please let it stop here

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

The Goatfather posted:

Sell it for $1 in your next yard sale.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I didn't mean to add those beans to your chili. I mean cook that bag of beans with some sausage or ham for some fantastic bean soup to eat with your cornbread.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Biscuit Joiner posted:

I didn't mean to add those beans to your chili. I mean cook that bag of beans with some sausage or ham for some fantastic bean soup to eat with your cornbread.

Oh, good idea. Just trying to cut that nonsense off at the pass, so I overreacted.

Another good pairing with cornbread is corn chowder.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

The Goatfather posted:

I made shakshuka for the first time last week. It was delicious. It was also a good excuse to use my biggest frying pan for the first time since it had the misfortune to be sitting for several weeks in the bottom of a cupboard beneath a water leak. Despite being completely stripped/wire brushed/sanded the new seasoning came out fine. I'd just warm it up a bit, make it shiny with oil or Crisco, heat to smoking, then carry on.

I kept doing this to my Lodge pre-seasoned cornbread pan and it works fine now. An heirloom finish takes time.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

oh hey cast iron thread, been a few iterations

i've had a no-name 12-incher that's been my standby since i started having cast iron. since then I've gotten a 14 inch pan and 6 qt dutch oven, both Lodge.

Recently we were helping my grandma move and we found a rusted-out little baby pan she didn't care about, so it's mine now. Some time with a wire wheel, vinegar bath and a few rounds of oven seasoning later...

Appears to say W.K.M. 2/L on the backside. It is the cutest little thing I've ever seen, it's dwarfed by even the smallest teflon pans we've got. I've just started cooking in it, but so far eggs come out amazingly. The grooved bottom is new, both my other pans just have the rough flat finish on the cooking surface.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
That is so cute.

Funny how the machining grooves in old North American Wagner and Griswold pieces are taken as a sign of quality while machined Taiwan pieces from the 70s and 80s are ignored. All of my Taiwanese pans except for the Dutch Oven have wood handles which limits their use. I'm jealous you have one with a conventional cast handle.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Hexigrammus posted:

I made shakshuka for the first time last week. It was delicious. It was also a good excuse to use my biggest frying pan for the first time since it had the misfortune to be sitting for several weeks in the bottom of a cupboard beneath a water leak. Despite being completely stripped/wire brushed/sanded the new seasoning came out fine. I'd just warm it up a bit, make it shiny with oil or Crisco, heat to smoking, then carry on.

I kept doing this to my Lodge pre-seasoned cornbread pan and it works fine now. An heirloom finish takes time.

Yeah I did pretty much this but put a few layers on to be safe. There are no guides in Google re: damage control when you gently caress up the seasoning a little but it's not rusty or anything.

Sometimes for searing steaks I get it as hot as the sun over a huge ring burner on max and I'm thinking I might have crossed the threshold from high heat to clean cycle and harmed the seasoning some time over the summer. Is that possible? If so I need another cast iron skillet because I'm not gonna stop cooking steaks that way

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

My best seasoned pan has had grease fire on top of a too hot camp fire and came out better for it. You'd kill your seasoning either purposefully or by being super negligent and letting it heat up to 800+ degrees for a good period of time on the burner.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Mr. Wookums posted:

My best seasoned pan has had grease fire on top of a too hot camp fire and came out better for it. You'd kill your seasoning either purposefully or by being super negligent and letting it heat up to 800+ degrees for a good period of time on the burner.

800+ is entirely reasonable for a pittsburgh style steak and not negligent at all :colbert: but thats like 10 mins on the heat

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 6, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

The Goatfather posted:

800+ is entirely reasonable for a pittsburgh style steak and not negligent at all :colbert: but thats like 10 mins on the heat

I thought you meant the steak being on for 10 mins and I was horrified. I know pittsburgh has strange tastes, but guys, come on, you'll save a ton by just eating the charcoal straight from the bag. And it's vegan!

(Pittsburgh style is great if you trust yourself or the restaurant to pull it off)

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

The Goatfather posted:

Yeah I did pretty much this but put a few layers on to be safe. There are no guides in Google re: damage control when you gently caress up the seasoning a little but it's not rusty or anything.

Sometimes for searing steaks I get it as hot as the sun over a huge ring burner on max and I'm thinking I might have crossed the threshold from high heat to clean cycle and harmed the seasoning some time over the summer. Is that possible? If so I need another cast iron skillet because I'm not gonna stop cooking steaks that way

Yes it's very possible, I've done it twice when trying to literally follow the instruction "as hot as possible" inadvisably on a bitchin' ir stovetop.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

My room mate was soaking my pan... Glad I noticed before I went to bed, going to make bacon in the am

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The Goatfather posted:

if you're going for black and blue I sugggest a charcoal chimney with a small but quality grate over it.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Massasoit posted:

My room mate was soaking my pan... Glad I noticed before I went to bed, going to make bacon in the am

Smack him with it a few times to drive the point home

DO NOT LET THIS PAN STAY WET

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
On the nights I cook with my iron griddle pan I usually have something else going in the oven. Is it safe to oil and wipe the pan then put it in the oven as it cools off? I figure that will do as good a job of polymerising the canola/sunflower oil I'm using while not having oiled metal directly on a burner (I have a glass top). The oven is usually cooling from 400-425.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Shumagorath posted:

On the nights I cook with my iron griddle pan I usually have something else going in the oven. Is it safe to oil and wipe the pan then put it in the oven as it cools off? I figure that will do as good a job of polymerising the canola/sunflower oil I'm using while not having oiled metal directly on a burner (I have a glass top). The oven is usually cooling from 400-425.

Absolutely, this is what I always do.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Suspect Bucket posted:

Smack him with it a few times to drive the point home

DO NOT LET THIS PAN STAY WET

I told my roommate I'd beat him to death with the pan if he soaked my pans.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
A while back I bought a smaller cast iron pan - I think it's 6". It's a Lodge, so it's texture on the inside is extremely rough*, or was. I took to it with some wire wheels and sandpaper and got it fairly smooth. It doesn't look it, but it feels smooth, and it's as smooth as I care to get it by hand. I might go back over it when I get more time and some polishing wheels, because I really want it smooth like older cast irons.

Anyway, I'm re-seasoning it now, and there's this one weird bright patch that won't go away, even though I've covered it with oil a few times. I've got it in the oven now, so maybe it'll go away, but it's not looking like it. Any ideas what might be making it do that?

*Oddly rougher than my 7 or 8 year old Lodges that I've only recently started using heavily. They're basically smooth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Midniter posted:

Absolutely, this is what I always do.

Same same. I figure if the oven's going to give off heat, I might as well get some benefit from it.

My bigger, Lodge skillet is in there now, cooling off after roasting a chicken. I'm not sure there's much better in life than a chicken roasted in a cast-iron skillet, surrounded by chopped root veggies to cook in the fat.