Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
What year/miles, any aftermarket suspension parts?

Worn out bushings and mounts could be part of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Flash Gordon posted:

I have a 2006 Subaru Forester. I had it in the shop the other day to have some minor work done and asked the staff to recommend me a set of tires (I'm definitely due for some new ones). They suggested Toyo Versado Eco, but I looked these up and it doesn't seem like they are for SUVs? At least, when I enter my cars info into the Toyo website this is not one of the tires suggested. Any ideas?

McSpatula posted:

They're available in your vehicle's oem size as another run of the mill all season tire. Did you ask why that specific tire was recommended? Definitely tailor your tire choice to your local weather conditions -- tirerack.com is a good start.
Definitely check out Tire Rack. In addition to browsing by tire type, you can also view aggregate ratings from Tire Rack customers for the tires in each category and filter those results by tire size.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

daslog posted:

A Forester is a Crossover, not an SUV.

... and here we go again.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

SilentW posted:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

SilentW posted:

2006 was before the huge forester. Big yeah but still the oldschoolish rectangle tall wagon design. Imo one of the last good looking ones.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

:fap:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I just want to keep everyone in the thread informed that I still love the poo poo out of my Outback.

Vroom vroom!

I'm going to be driving to and from Bend a few times this winter, so I'll be needing some winter tires. Any recommendations? This is a 2016 Outback with the 18" wheels.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

SilentW posted:

I have a first gen and its a station wagon :colbert:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I just want to keep everyone in the thread informed that I still love the poo poo out of my Outback.

Vroom vroom!

I'm going to be driving to and from Bend a few times this winter, so I'll be needing some winter tires. Any recommendations? This is a 2016 Outback with the 18" wheels.

Good to know mr 11 cats didn't give you bad advice :v:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Blizzaks are my go-to for snow tires. My old ones are worn out, so I put on a new set of WS80s yesterday. Even though I hate winter, I'm always stoked to drive in snow. :dance:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

BloodBag posted:

Good to know mr 11 cats didn't give you bad advice :v:

:) I've got a little cat army of my own, don't worry. I just get so excited in the Blue Story thread!

Naked Bear posted:

Blizzaks are my go-to for snow tires. My old ones are worn out, so I put on a new set of WS80s yesterday. Even though I hate winter, I'm always stoked to drive in snow. :dance:

These look excellent! And the price isn't bad at all. Thanks a lot for this.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Vroom vroom!

Honestly anything outside of the slicker tires you will be fine. That decent amount of snow we got back in '12 I was fine on just some bridgestone all weathers in my legacy, and the STi was able to get around on Yokohama ad08s, I had to be careful on them but you can do it.

Don't let those tire jockeys screw up your rims to put on specific winter tires.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

Fart Pipe posted:

I have a first gen and its a station wagon :colbert:

I love the older Outbacks, my granddad owned one for 15 years in New England snow and salt, and it still works. Mostly. I just hate anything that's even vaguely related to SUVs, including Crossovers.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

A good post.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Don't let those tire jockeys screw up your rims to put on specific winter tires.
Solution: a second set of wheels.

Much better having regular lug nuts again instead of those stupid splined ones.

mudstone
Jul 30, 2015
should i even consider snow tires for my car? 15 legacy... i know it's not the cool subaru but i just moved to Santa Fe from Oklahoma. Originally from CT and i never snow tired my cars there. My concern is that i'm told "elevation is different you need snow tires" Personally i can't see it getting all that bad that not driving like an asshat will be enough.

Correct me if i'm a dumb?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Today was a good day.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Those foresters with brush guards make my eye tell me it's a CR-V instead of a Subaru for some reason. But that is A Good Post. :thumbsup:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Today was a good day.

Skidpan?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

I have kind of conundrum with my '02 WRX Wagon.

Some history:

I got the car from my Dad a couple years ago, he hadn't driven it terribly much (98k at the time), and I've driven it a fair amount (112k now).

When my Dad had owned it, he had some issues with the cooling system. I know he had gone through a water pump, some hoses, and a new radiator.

Earlier this year, I started having issues again. Mainly in stop & go traffic, but also a good way to trigger it is going from highway speeds to slower speeds. The temp would jump up, and then settle back down when the car got moving again/stayed at a steady speed for a while. Eventually though, the temp stopped being OK on the highway, or at any speed. Based on some troubleshooting I did then and some stuff I read, I felt like it was a water pump bearing. Before it completely failed, the car seemed to cool itself better with higher revs/speeds (it almost never overheated on the highway). Another supporting factor was that, during times when the car's heat would rise, you would get no heat at all out of the heater (theory being the pump isn't pumping hot coolant into the heater core), then suddenly you would start getting heat and see the temp gauge drop dramatically. Anyhow, took it to a local mechanic who said he found the water pump to be bad, replaced it, and everything worked fine for 4 months.

So a couple weeks ago, I started noticing the cars heat becoming an issue again, manifesting in the same way as before. I immediately took it back to the same mechanic. He kept the car for a few days trying to recreate it/get a handle on it, and finally came back with a diagnosis of blown head gasket. His supporting argument being that, if you let the car run for ~10 minutes, then shut it off, and go back 3 hours later, the radiator system is still pressurized. I actually haven't yet tried to do this myself, mainly because I'm not really sure what to do, just run it for 10 minutes then open the radiator cap 3 hours later? Anyhow, he suggested a specific local dealer.

I took the car to them, they couldn't get it to overheat for two days, then finally did and said "yeah its probably a head gasket, we can do that here, but honestly, you don't want us to, its crazy expensive".

I've been operating on the assumption that it's the head gasket/heads since the first mechanic said this, but now I'm having doubts. If it was a head gasket, why did the replacement water pump fix the issue from May to October? I feel like there must be something causing undue wear on the water pump bearings, but I have no idea what that might be or how.

I'm trying to find options quickly to avoid selling this for cheap with 'unknown, possibly head related cooling issues', any thoughts would be appreciated!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Today was a good day.

I see no droptop. I guess the rear end is dropped a bit.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:

toadee posted:

I have kind of conundrum with my '02 WRX Wagon.

Some history:

I got the car from my Dad a couple years ago, he hadn't driven it terribly much (98k at the time), and I've driven it a fair amount (112k now).

When my Dad had owned it, he had some issues with the cooling system. I know he had gone through a water pump, some hoses, and a new radiator.

Earlier this year, I started having issues again. Mainly in stop & go traffic, but also a good way to trigger it is going from highway speeds to slower speeds. The temp would jump up, and then settle back down when the car got moving again/stayed at a steady speed for a while. Eventually though, the temp stopped being OK on the highway, or at any speed. Based on some troubleshooting I did then and some stuff I read, I felt like it was a water pump bearing. Before it completely failed, the car seemed to cool itself better with higher revs/speeds (it almost never overheated on the highway). Another supporting factor was that, during times when the car's heat would rise, you would get no heat at all out of the heater (theory being the pump isn't pumping hot coolant into the heater core), then suddenly you would start getting heat and see the temp gauge drop dramatically. Anyhow, took it to a local mechanic who said he found the water pump to be bad, replaced it, and everything worked fine for 4 months.

So a couple weeks ago, I started noticing the cars heat becoming an issue again, manifesting in the same way as before. I immediately took it back to the same mechanic. He kept the car for a few days trying to recreate it/get a handle on it, and finally came back with a diagnosis of blown head gasket. His supporting argument being that, if you let the car run for ~10 minutes, then shut it off, and go back 3 hours later, the radiator system is still pressurized. I actually haven't yet tried to do this myself, mainly because I'm not really sure what to do, just run it for 10 minutes then open the radiator cap 3 hours later? Anyhow, he suggested a specific local dealer.

I took the car to them, they couldn't get it to overheat for two days, then finally did and said "yeah its probably a head gasket, we can do that here, but honestly, you don't want us to, its crazy expensive".

I've been operating on the assumption that it's the head gasket/heads since the first mechanic said this, but now I'm having doubts. If it was a head gasket, why did the replacement water pump fix the issue from May to October? I feel like there must be something causing undue wear on the water pump bearings, but I have no idea what that might be or how.

I'm trying to find options quickly to avoid selling this for cheap with 'unknown, possibly head related cooling issues', any thoughts would be appreciated!

Did it fail a coolant pressure test or block test? It can take a lot for a Subaru to fail a block test I know, but he should have ran both those tests to help confirm a HG. Also a HG job on that car should between 1500-2500.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
What's the story with people lifting their Imprezas? I am somewhat tempted to do it to my 04 wagon. Does it kill completely what makes a wrx so fun in handling and brakeing compromises?

Does it make a good romping in the woods beast?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

nm posted:

I see no droptop. I guess the rear end is dropped a bit.

Still on the old noisy stock shocks from 2005. Low coming soon. Although at that height, I already scrape on my driveway.

yepp

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Ardemia posted:

Did it fail a coolant pressure test or block test? It can take a lot for a Subaru to fail a block test I know, but he should have ran both those tests to help confirm a HG. Also a HG job on that car should between 1500-2500.

Hmm no I don't think either of those were done by either mechanic. Is there anything simple I can do at home to help diagnose?

The story I got in the HG job from multiple people is that it's labor intensive and you almost always find issues with the head itself/the valves along the way and costs escalate quickly.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
The engine in my Forester (that I installed two years ago) is telling knock-knock jokes :(

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:

toadee posted:

Hmm no I don't think either of those were done by either mechanic. Is there anything simple I can do at home to help diagnose?

The story I got in the HG job from multiple people is that it's labor intensive and you almost always find issues with the head itself/the valves along the way and costs escalate quickly.

You might be able to get some block tester and fluid at a local parts shop. Could probably pick up a pressure test pump as well. You could also try finding a shop that would just run the test for you. I know where I work that would run around a half an hour of labor time. Also wondering if he pulled any plugs, should present with a steam cleaned looking plug at this point.

A good machine shop can get the heads back to spec, unless it was overheated a hilarious number of times. At my shop I've never seen issues with the valves really, but it can be a good idea to do a full timing service while its getting done. Theres often a few other gaskets that can be replaced as a "while were in there" kind of thing. I would see if there is a Subaru specific shop around you that might be able to help you out.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The head unit in my 16 WRX is pretty crappy. I am assuming they are somewhat similar, if not the same. The Starlink thing is stupid. I load the app up on my phone and.... nothing happens. Maybe I just need to read more about it, but literally nothing happens. I don't get what it's supposed to do.

The remote unlock stuff is through a subscription service (of course). I just push the button on my key instead of my phone.

I'm actually debating replacing the head unit with one with CarPlay, so I can have in-dash navigation.

How do you like the speakers and sound on the 2016? I'm getting one ordered, and I hear you pretty much have to get the upgraded sound package as the stock package is shite.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Mercury Ballistic posted:

What's the story with people lifting their Imprezas? I am somewhat tempted to do it to my 04 wagon. Does it kill completely what makes a wrx so fun in handling and brakeing compromises?

Does it make a good romping in the woods beast?

A lot of kids/scenesters like to lift their poo poo and consider them self Ken Block or whatever the gently caress.

You can slap spacers, Forester suspension, or King springs to lift.

I haven't lifted my impreza too much on the coilovers, just recommended DMS coilovers height. I ran a full stage rally in sti struts and springs along with plenty of logging roads on stock suspension. I've also lifted my wagon for a winter.

IMO lifting actually hurts in most instances, my wagon plowed worse than city plow trucks, put it back to stock last winter and it was a million times better.

Unless you are going wheeling and not dirt road hooning, just plate your poo poo. Stock height or a light lift will be better than a monster lift.

The key is to plate your poo poo and pick your lines properly. Skidplate the front and plastic the rear. Big rocks send under the control arm vs the trans tunnel/diff. Keeping it tidy and dont punch up and you'll be fine.

The time I broke the suspension on a dirt drive a lift wouldn't have helped clear the culvert.

My 2 cents.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
You can see the height on my stock impreza in the photo I just posted. I haven't hooned on a dirt road, just flat grass fields, but I drove around on dirt roads and a light 4wd track at normal speeds and had no issues whatsoever. It wouldn't handle hard 4wding but you don't buy an impreza to go mudding in.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

I have a question about my 02 wrx as well. The PO put on a short serpentine for an AC and tensioner delete.

It's getting old, where do i get a replacement for that. Is this another common mod part?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Slow is Fast posted:

A lot of kids/scenesters like to lift their poo poo and consider them self Ken Block or whatever the gently caress.

You can slap spacers, Forester suspension, or King springs to lift.

I haven't lifted my impreza too much on the coilovers, just recommended DMS coilovers height. I ran a full stage rally in sti struts and springs along with plenty of logging roads on stock suspension. I've also lifted my wagon for a winter.

IMO lifting actually hurts in most instances, my wagon plowed worse than city plow trucks, put it back to stock last winter and it was a million times better.

Unless you are going wheeling and not dirt road hooning, just plate your poo poo. Stock height or a light lift will be better than a monster lift.

The key is to plate your poo poo and pick your lines properly. Skidplate the front and plastic the rear. Big rocks send under the control arm vs the trans tunnel/diff. Keeping it tidy and dont punch up and you'll be fine.

The time I broke the suspension on a dirt drive a lift wouldn't have helped clear the culvert.

My 2 cents.

Thanks for the input. Think I will just keep mine stock for now.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Bacon Hat posted:

I have a question about my 02 wrx as well. The PO put on a short serpentine for an AC and tensioner delete.

It's getting old, where do i get a replacement for that. Is this another common mod part?
The a/c gets its own belt.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Petite Dinklage posted:

How do you like the speakers and sound on the 2016? I'm getting one ordered, and I hear you pretty much have to get the upgraded sound package as the stock package is shite.

Yeah the factory speakers are pretty poo poo, but there's no way I'm paying $3100 for the HK/navi package.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

jamal posted:

The a/c gets its own belt.

I havE a FHI belt (off the original AC I assume) in a box with the oem stuff but the belt on there is a mitsu 5pm877. There is also a mitsu 5pm874 on the box with the oem stuff.

What's the deal?

mudstone
Jul 30, 2015

Petite Dinklage posted:

I have the 15 legacy premium... not sure if that has the upgraded speakers or not... but it sounds good.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

For my 2012, its more the head unit than the speakers. I mean, they're boomy and the highs aren't super audiophile clear. The FM throughput is garbage compared to a lot of other cars. Bluetooth audio is better. You can tune the head unit to just pass through which helps a little. I'm not sure what improvements have been made since.

I've replaced my front speakers with a set of JBL P660c, and added a Alpine KTP-445u amp. It's better. FM is still crap compared to my wife's Chevy. The head unit is still the weak point but I don't feel like screwing with adaptors and steering wheel controls and USB plugs and microphones, which I say unironically after having spent a 28 degree February day fishing speaker wire between the door and the car. Plus I don't want and aftermarket unit to make my car look like a disco spaceship.

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

For my 2012, its more the head unit than the speakers. I mean, they're boomy and the highs aren't super audiophile clear. The FM throughput is garbage compared to a lot of other cars. Bluetooth audio is better. You can tune the head unit to just pass through which helps a little. I'm not sure what improvements have been made since.

I've replaced my front speakers with a set of JBL P660c, and added a Alpine KTP-445u amp. It's better. FM is still crap compared to my wife's Chevy. The head unit is still the weak point but I don't feel like screwing with adaptors and steering wheel controls and USB plugs and microphones, which I say unironically after having spent a 28 degree February day fishing speaker wire between the door and the car. Plus I don't want and aftermarket unit to make my car look like a disco spaceship.

I have been looking at adding that amp to clean up the audio a bit. Would it be worth doing it by itself? Or should I upgrade speakers at the same time?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Yeah to be fair, the couple videos I've watched on replacing the head unit all say that just changing the head unit does wonders for the sound quality.

I've never even tried FM, I go straight for noir tooth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

TheFargate posted:

I have been looking at adding that amp to clean up the audio a bit. Would it be worth doing it by itself? Or should I upgrade speakers at the same time?

I did the amp before I did the speakers. It fills out the range more. I wouldn't say it necessarily improves the quality of the sound, because the source is still the head unit, but it gives the speakers a more adequate amount of power to work with. I don't know what stock is, somewhere between 14 to 20 watts. There is no line out, so you'll need to get an amp that handles speaker level input. There is a guide online somewhere to solder in line level outputs, but you need to be skilled because the connections are way tiny.