Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Apparently my wheel has corrosion and the tire slipped off the bead. They sanded it and put some sealant on or something but said it has to be replaced. Is there a way to repair the wheel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Is it just me or are used 3 hatchbacks hard? Checking out the two largest Mazda dealers in a 200 mile radius turned up zero used ones which seems crazy to compare to something like the focus hatchback of which literally dozens come through the local ford dealer every month.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
So, I had the battery in my MS3 die on me last night rather abruptly. I started it up and drove about 3 miles to a friends house. Then 5 minutes later when we were ready to leave, I tried to turn the car on and all the lights dimmed, the gauges acted kind of erratic, and you could hear the starter relay click.

I got a jumpstart from a friend, but it was hard to start and cranked over slowly. I was going to drive it the 3 miles back home, but in the parking lot my headlights would flicker when I gave it gas. So I ultimately parked it overnight and changed the battery out today. The old one was a little over 3 years old, and when I measured the voltage this morning it only had about 10.xx volts across the poles, so obviously dead. With the new battery the car cranks right up.

Recently the idle has felt a little less smooth than I remember it being, but I'm not sure if it's just in my head. I've been dreading having to eventually break into the engine bay and walnut blast the intake valves. I'm wondering how bad mine are at ~57k miles. I also remember IOwnCalculus or someone else here mentioning that at some point their EGR valve got really gunked up and that leading to issues, but I think they said that they got a pretty common engine code throne, and so far I haven't had any CELs.

I'm due for an oil change, coolant flush, and brakes (at least the fluid). Is there anything else I should be inspecting or watching out for on a stock car?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MetaJew posted:

Recently the idle has felt a little less smooth than I remember it being, but I'm not sure if it's just in my head.

Do engine mounts cause this? Cause my car hasn't been as smooth as new (it's a regular 3 tho) and I figured it's the crappy motor mounts. I've had one replaced already.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

Is it just me or are used 3 hatchbacks hard? Checking out the two largest Mazda dealers in a 200 mile radius turned up zero used ones which seems crazy to compare to something like the focus hatchback of which literally dozens come through the local ford dealer every month.

I guess people don't want to part with perfection -- who can blame them? :smug:

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Salt Fish posted:

If you owned a best in class vehicle, why would you sell it before you drove it into the ground or your finances changed in a significant enough manner to upgrade to a higher vehicle class?

Edit: beaten

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Well what if you bought it but you suddenly died or maybe you got too many duis and you can drive it anymore. (dammit)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
In Canada they're for sale everywhere because they rust like crazy

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

Well what if you bought it but you suddenly died or maybe you got too many duis and you can drive it anymore. (dammit)

I'm going to be buried in mine.

8ender posted:

Also this. It's ridiculous. When I bought mine I went super anal about cleaning it and getting it rust protected. Every time I see a rock chip in the paint on my hood I go into full on freakout mode and work on it for like an hour with the rust primer and paint.

Life got so much simpler after I moved 20 minutes from work by foot and have underground parking now.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

8ender posted:

Has Mazda gotten any better at this recently? My wife owns an 04 mazda3 S and I own a 09 Miata, but we live in NC and see salt maybe three times a year.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

GEMorris posted:

Has Mazda gotten any better at this recently? My wife owns an 04 mazda3 S and I own a 09 Miata, but we live in NC and see salt maybe three times a year.

I want to say yes but it's hard to tell until more time passes. The Mazda3's were weird because they were fine for about 5 years and then they'd explode with rust from just about everywhere.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
That's actually really interesting. I live in a heavy salt state and the reason I'm shopping is that my current vehicle is literally falling apart from rust, by which I mean chunks have come off while I was driving.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
The sad thing is that the most rust resistant vehicles are vws and audis, which of course, fall apart elsewhere, but the chassis and body are loving perfect.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
How's the interior on the new 16 3s GT hatch? Looking for something along the same level of awesomeness of my MS6 (long sold :( ) and was disappointed that the new M6 didn't come with a manual in the GT. Quality interior is a focus on my next purchase and want to stay under $30k. Every other sport sedan has been a compromise (none have manuals at top trims!) and completely forgot to look at the 3 hatch.

Overall goon impressions of the new 3 and Mazda currently?

Edit: PS, can it fit a bike in the back with the seats down?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

TraderStav posted:

How's the interior on the new 16 3s GT hatch? Looking for something along the same level of awesomeness of my MS6 (long sold :( ) and was disappointed that the new M6 didn't come with a manual in the GT. Quality interior is a focus on my next purchase and want to stay under $30k. Every other sport sedan has been a compromise (none have manuals at top trims!) and completely forgot to look at the 3 hatch.

Overall goon impressions of the new 3 and Mazda currently?

Edit: PS, can it fit a bike in the back with the seats down?

Mountain bike fits fine in the hatch with the front wheel removed from the bike.

I love the interior quality on the iGT, which should be the same as the sGT, except that the S gets HUD, analog tach and real leather. I'm even impressed with the leatherette on the i, to be honest.

Not much changed on the upper trims, so you might score a deal on a '15 (if you can still find one)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

N

eddiewalker posted:

Mountain bike fits fine in the hatch with the front wheel removed from the bike.

I love the interior quality on the iGT, which should be the same as the sGT, except that the S gets HUD, analog tach and real leather. I'm even impressed with the leatherette on the i, to be honest.

Not much changed on the upper trims, so you might score a deal on a '15 (if you can still find one)

Nice, thanks for the information! If the real difference between the 15 and 16 GT is just power folding mirrors I'm going to target the 15 model and save some dough and maybe open up some availability. I haven't gotten out to see the rides yet, but there is very little in my area (SE Mich). From photos I think I'm going to want to get the Blue Reflex with the Almond/black leather in manual. The only option I'd consider would be the appearance package but haven't found any pics to decide on that.

edit: Also, is the only different between the i and s GT the engine or are there others?

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 2, 2015

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

TraderStav posted:

N

Nice, thanks for the information! If the real difference between the 15 and 16 GT is just power folding mirrors I'm going to target the 15 model and save some dough and maybe open up some availability. I haven't gotten out to see the rides yet, but there is very little in my area (SE Mich). From photos I think I'm going to want to get the Blue Reflex with the Almond/black leather in manual. The only option I'd consider would be the appearance package but haven't found any pics to decide on that.

edit: Also, is the only different between the i and s GT the engine or are there others?

The US trim level breakdown is here. I don't know why they posted the S models out of order, except maybe to downplay that the S-touring is the only trim without a MT option starting in 2016.

The only unlisted difference I see is that S models have a big analog tach, little digital speedo, where the "i" models get the lame opposite arrangement.

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/configEntryPoint.action?buttonAction=continue&vehicleCode=M3H&modelYear=2016&skipZip=0&from=&zip=64068

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

TraderStav posted:

N

While I can't speak for the 2.0 engine, and maybe later computer updates improved it, the 2.5 will run with regular 87 gas but it won't be very happy with it. Mine would idle funny and get somewhat diminished fuel efficiency.

Also between the i and s the tires sizes are quite a bit different. You'll have a decidedly crunchier ride on the s trims with those 18 inchers but it'll handle with the unyielding determination of a cheating German engineer. If the roads in your area are cratered disasters it might be something to consider.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Fabulousity posted:

While I can't speak for the 2.0 engine, and maybe later computer updates improved it, the 2.5 will run with regular 87 gas but it won't be very happy with it. Mine would idle funny and get somewhat diminished fuel efficiency.

Also between the i and s the tires sizes are quite a bit different. You'll have a decidedly crunchier ride on the s trims with those 18 inchers but it'll handle with the unyielding determination of a cheating German engineer. If the roads in your area are cratered disasters it might be something to consider.

Great info, thanks! I got to the dealership yesterday and drove the GTs as well as a 6 GT. I liked both but I couldn't break the feeling that the 3 was too tight of a feel for what I'm looking for. The 6 definitely scratched that itch with that interior. Lots of room with more of a luxury feel. Only irritation is that it doesn't come in a manual. I get S plan pricing so that really simplifies things and good financing offers right now.

The almond interior on both is really great.

On the other hand, I've had my eye on the 16 Accord EX-L, and if I forego the manual that may work better and actually be slightly cheaper than the 6, albeit with less attractive financing.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Am I a bad person for getting rid of my rusting, rattling 2005 3 for a WRX or GTI for a few years until the new Speed3/6's come out?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Fabulousity posted:

If the roads in your area are cratered disasters it might be something to consider.

This is true. I had two blowouts in two weeks on the same tire on my S Touring. loving potholes!

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Fabulousity posted:

I used to think this was the case, but I've been using 87 for a while now and haven't noticed much difference. There are some odd occasions where the car would have this mild rumble while idling at a light but I think I had that with 91 too.

Fuel efficiency settled into a steady 9.2l/100 km for me as well. Acceleration is the same as it was for the 1 year I used 91.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007
Anyone know the best place to sell used wheels & tires? I have already posted on craigslist, ebay, panjo.

I have 19" wheels off of a 2014 CX5 with Nokian WRG3 tires which are less than a year old. I called around to local tire places and none are interested.

Any ideas on how to unload them?

I'm in th NYC area FYI.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Some Guy From NY posted:

Anyone know the best place to sell used wheels & tires? I have already posted on craigslist, ebay, panjo.

Model specific forums in my experience. If you can hold your nose and tolerate the poo poo posting sperglords that make up the majority of members you're far more likely to find someone looking for parts than you would on a generic sales board.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
All the electronics in my '13 MS3 went out for a split second again last night. I didn't hit a bump or anything that would cause it. It's a little concerning.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Bad body control module?

ITT recommend the best front pads and rotors you can for an 09 MS3.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I warped the factory front brakes twice before the car hit 40k miles, but never had any issue with a set of Hawk HPS pads and Centric blank rotors for the next 80k I owned the car. Slightly less initial bite, but so much less dust.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

MetaJew posted:

ITT recommend the best front pads and rotors you can for an 09 MS3.

I put Centric blanks and their para-amarid StopTech pads on my brother's '08 over the summer. Best braking combination I've personally ever used, I put the same on my Focus but haven't put it back on the road yet.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

I warped the factory front brakes twice before the car hit 40k miles, but never had any issue with a set of Hawk HPS pads and Centric blank rotors for the next 80k I owned the car. Slightly less initial bite, but so much less dust.

Is this just an easy thing to do or what? My '14 3 has like 28k on it and I'm getting some really annoying shudder on braking, been considering replacing them with something a little better.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Well my Mazda connect system failed to start up on the way to grab lunch. Powered off everything and tried starting again did nothing, not even the backup camera would display and the radio didn't have audio, screen was completely dead, rest of the vehicle seems fine. Hopefully it decides to work when I leave work or I might have to take it in to the dealer and have them look at it.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

At about two months into owning it I can say fairly certainly that my 3 is the best car I've ever owned. Wish I had gotten onto the Mazda train sooner.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Previa_fun posted:

At about two months into owning it I can say fairly certainly that my 3 is the best car I've ever owned. Wish I had gotten onto the Mazda train sooner.

It's fun, right? I don't even own the Speed and I still love it 2 years after I bought it. There's something about it that just clicks with me.

I can only imagine how awesome an MS3 must feel.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Why didn't anyone tell me that spark plugs were so easy to do before?! Took me about 20 minutes to swap all 4 this morning on my 3. The old ones didn't actually look too bad, but oh well. It's peace of mind for me and it was a fun learning experience.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You never asked? :shobon: They're a mild pain on the MS3 but mostly because you have to get that drat intercooler out of the way. Without that, the MZR is pretty drat easy to service.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Martytoof posted:

I can only imagine how awesome an MS3 must feel.

Imagine what it'll feel like in a 3rd generation chassis with AWD and some sort of mutant derivative Skyactiv engine producing unholy amounts of power.

The God Hatch is coming. Prepare.

Maybe. Mazda is probably gonna pull the "Next year, for sure!" bit like they do with diesels?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Mazda already has diesels, they don't have a performance version of the current petrol.

BTW the diesel absolutely ruins the 3 - you aren't missing anything there.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Skyactiv-D has been "coming soon" to the US for ages, even while they ran the (now failed) Skyactiv-D prototype car. I honestly think part of it is they were benchmarking the VW TDI for performance / emissions / economy, and didn't realize it was cheating.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Fabulousity posted:

Imagine what it'll feel like in a 3rd generation chassis with AWD and some sort of mutant derivative Skyactiv engine producing unholy amounts of power.

The God Hatch is coming. Prepare.

I so, soooo wanted to buy a brand new Mazda, but I wanted something with more power than the current gen so I ordered a WRX. If there was a MS3/MS6 with the current body I would have bought it in an instant.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Either way the VW thing has killed any chance of that engine ending up in the US

BTW performance on the 3 diesel is pretty good - it's a much nicer engine than the VW 2l in that regard. The problem is it's an extra ~120kg right at the very front of the car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

The Skyactiv-D has been "coming soon" to the US for ages, even while they ran the (now failed) Skyactiv-D prototype car. I honestly think part of it is they were benchmarking the VW TDI for performance / emissions / economy, and didn't realize it was cheating.

I wonder if Subaru ran into the same problem, as there were vague hints at their diesel a few years ago, too. drat it VW.