Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

AvP-R was dark in the theater. The scene when the Alien comes down from the ceiling in the store is completely Incomprehensible.

As was the sewer scene.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Party Boat posted:

Ridley Scott is a glorious fucker.

The thing that always makes me go "huh" in that two pages is the tiny Nostromo booking it through space in the bottom right. It's such a different way of looking at the ship compared to how it's shown throughout the film.

And I think I read that Newt's Story comic many years ago. Did they really cut all non-Newt scenes from it? Like she gets grabbed in the sewer pipe and then the next page is her waking up to see Ripley armed to the teeth blasting through eggs?

e: although if the opening is exclusively Hadley's Hope stuff that's kind of cool. I never liked how the Director's Cut stitched those scenes inbetween the existing ones, it killed all the tension - really I don't think there's a way of making them work in the film.
It been a while since I read it but I'm pretty sure it is just Newt stuff. I'll try to find my copy tonight and skim through it to be sure.

One of the changes Ridley Scott made for his "director's cut" was he changed the audio of the Derelict ship's distress/warning signal. In the original deleted scene it's all weird and distorted, and sounds unsettlingly like an elephant being strangled underwater or something. It's weird as gently caress and super unnerving.
The redone audio is much more tame, and the scene is worse off for it. He's never explained why he changed the audio, either.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Xenomrph posted:

One of the changes Ridley Scott made for his "director's cut" was he changed the audio of the Derelict ship's distress/warning signal. In the original deleted scene it's all weird and distorted, and sounds unsettlingly like an elephant being strangled underwater or something. It's weird as gently caress and super unnerving.
The redone audio is much more tame, and the scene is worse off for it. He's never explained why he changed the audio, either.

The Director's Cut of Alien is so much better. The added scene showing the Alien hanging on the chains right before it kills Brett is a truly subtle :tviv: moment.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The egg scene is cool, but where it's placed is really bad. It should've been put somewhere before the ship was self destructing. She's just wasting time.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

The egg scene is cool, but where it's placed is really bad. It should've been put somewhere before the ship was self destructing. She's just wasting time.
Agreed, and that's one of the reasons it was originally cut. It's a hard scene to place well because it's a huge unnecessary detour; for spatial context, the Brett egg cocoon scene happens in the Nostromo's retracted landing gear.

Ripley's detour makes little sense unless you put it way earlier in the film, like after Lambert and Parker are killed but before Ripley sees the Alien investigating Jones' cat carrier. Any time after that doesn't make sense given Ripley's urgency and/or pending ship destruction.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 10, 2015

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Xenomrph posted:

When was that change made? Like, on what releases can one hear the original crazy version?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lurdiak posted:

I've read that that's a myth and the real truth is that they were just surprised by the amount of blood and the force of the spray, which was really over the top. They knew something was going to burst out.

The burst part still looks great today, it's just those close ups of the little fucker that don't hold up, in my opinion. Having said that, it's still an amazing scene.

The alternate take looks great too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-sBROXalU4

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Why cookie Rocket posted:

When was that change made? Like, on what releases can one hear the original crazy version?
You can hear the crazy version only as a deleted scene, so any DVD pre-2004 (pre Alien Quadrilogy) that has the deleted scene as a special feature.

I'm sure it's posted online somewhere. I can think of one website off the top of my head that was known for hosting deleted scenes from all the movies (we're talking old-school internet, pre DVD and definitely pre YouTube) called Alien Legend but I don't think it exists anymore.
Of the top of my head I believe most YouTube clips of the deleted scene are the modified DC version. I'm on the Awful app right now so I'll do some digging when I get home.

Edit-- just kidding, found it
http://youtu.be/n_VnoLyrfdY

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 10, 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Lurdiak posted:

I've read that that's a myth and the real truth is that they were just surprised by the amount of blood and the force of the spray, which was really over the top. They knew something was going to burst out.

The burst part still looks great today, it's just those close ups of the little fucker that don't hold up, in my opinion. Having said that, it's still an amazing scene.

This is correct, on the Quadrilogy features they're specific about how they of course knew it was going to pop out of his chest, but the amount of blood and it getting onto them wasn't known until it happened. Just as good. :D

One thing they do mention that I find more interesting is that the Nostromo set was extensive at the time when compared to the recycled hallways used in Alien's infinite imitators (and Alien Resurrection). Scott mentions this being done so that the actors would have to walk down a few hallways for a minute or two before reaching whatever part they were going to have to act in which would sort of get them "in character" because in real life they'd be flustered from having to go through a maze for a few minutes every time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah wasn't the Nostromo basically one big set with a single way in and out? They don't make movies like that anymore.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah wasn't the Nostromo basically one big set with a single way in and out? They don't make movies like that anymore.

Yeah, the Nostromo sets was largely built 1:1 scale and with optional removable ceilings to accommodate the lighting and camera crews, not unlike many sets on submarine movies. The actors and crew had to physically walk through rooms and corridors to get to places, just like the characters would. There were sets for the 3 decks, and another for the vent system.

For people curious about the Nostromo, I have a bunch of cool photos and fan made poo poo on my PC at home. Deck plans for all 3 ships, some set photos, etc.

Alternately, the Nostromo DLC for Allien Isolation is very accurate to the movie ship. It's not 100% accurate because it recycles some game assets, and ostensibly "makes up" some things that are never seen on-screen (even if we know what was there via behind-the-scenes photos or videos) but it's still very accurate. You can even explore it at your leisure before descending into the vent network (with the Alien).

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I still maintain that the chestburster scene in Alien is the best of the franchise. AVP:R I haven't seen so I can't comment on any scenes in that one.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It totally is, even James Cameron etc. say outright that it is on the various commentaries. I found that interesting because in all the making of stuff for the sequels they talk about any chestbursting or eggs in terms of "can we make this look as good as it does in Alien 1." But IIRC alien the only one where the egg has straight up actual cow guts and viscera in it along with someone manually moving it around with their hand (was it Scott himself? I forget) which makes a huge difference.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I remember that for the longest time, we had pictures of the deleted scene from Aliens with Burke cacooned. But people thought the actual footage was lost but iirc, they found the footage recently.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah it's on the Blu Ray set. I couldn't believe it.

But the scene is OK.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

People involved have talked about it numerous times. The script said "an ALIEN bursts from Kane's chest" or something similar. The actors walked on to the set and the crew and cameras were covered in ponchos and tarps.

Still, no one was prepared for was the sheer volume and force of the blood spray, and Cartwright got it all over the face. She falls down backwards over a chair if I recall correctly.

Edit: nevermind, I'm responding to posts from hours ago

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

blackguy32 posted:

I remember that for the longest time, we had pictures of the deleted scene from Aliens with Burke cacooned. But people thought the actual footage was lost but iirc, they found the footage recently.
Yep, here are the photos you're talking about :

And the deleted footage itself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FCLyglO_QY

And for more photos of the Nostromo, here's some cool fan-made blueprints. So cool that FOX essentially annexed them, made them official, and have since released them with the book The Alien Vault, which is a super-cool book for anyone interested in the filmmaking process behind Alien. I highly recommend it. And as an aside, the book The Terminator Vault by the same author is also an awesome book about the making of Terminator 1 and 2.

The resolution isn't perfect, but the text is readable if you zoom in.
A bit of "deleted scene" trivia is that the original script mentions in passing that the Nostromo has two shuttles, one located on each side of the ship. In the movie, we only ever see the Narcissus, which is docked on the port side between the main hull and the port engine. There's an identical shuttle docking port on the starboard side as well, and the script mentions that that shuttle is out of commission and can't be used.
The above blueprints actually give the second shuttle an official name, the Salmacis.

Here's the shuttle docking location:

And here's a close-up of the shuttle dock with the shuttle not in it:

And here's a close-up of the model used for filming:

After Kane dies, they eject his body from the ship. Here's a better look at the burial shroud prop used for filming:

And here's some deck plans of the Nostromo:

Here's a promo photo of the cast of 'Alien', including Ripley holding Jones the cat:

Why did Ripley care some much about that cat, anyway?
Well it's because it's her cat. No, seriously. Here's a close-up of Ripley's bridge terminal:

See that on the right? It's a photo of Jones as a kitten. :3:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I liked Alien. Thought it was a good movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

What are your thoughts on Prometheus?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Cool stuff, Xenomrph.

I rewatched Resurrection last week and it's just full of baffling moments. There's some great shots, fun actors to watch, the death of the newborn is disturbing, but it's still ultimately a shitpile.

I think it was the director's or extended cut too. Nothing of note added.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Thanks for all that stuff, Xenomrph. I collect things like that :thumbsup:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MrMojok posted:

By all means share stuff that you've got, as well. :)

I've got some other things I'm organizing into some other posts. I would have posted them above but I wanted that post to be mostly 'Alien'-centric.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

MrMojok posted:

Why not ask him about Sevastopol ' s safety protocols?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

blackguy32 posted:

Why not ask him about Sevastopol ' s safety protocols?
What do you mean?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

What do you mean?

Lol, it's something the androids say in Alien: Isolation

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I've been reading a bunch of the three and two star alien comics from the list a page ago. Some of them are ok, for comics. I took a gander at some of the one and no star comics, good god. Why are comics for the most part so bad? Also every lady is drawn in the most male-gazey way. I know that's a comics tradition but man they are not subtle about it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

They're comics in the 90s, it was pretty par for the course. Some of the comics I ranked higher are a bit better as out it, especially Salvation and Sacrifice (and to a lesser degree, Apocalypse, Labyrinth, and Alchemy).

Maybe it's just been a while since I read a lot of them, but I don't remember too many of the comics being THAT male gaze-ey with a couple exceptions I can think of off the top of my head.

The problem with a lot of Aliens comics is that they didn't get what made the movies good and memorable, and just fixated on people with big guns blasting Aliens.
Hell, the very first Aliens comic series was written as a sequel to the movie, with Hicks and Newt. At one point there's a flashback to the events of Aliens and the writer literally gets the events of the movie completely, drastically wrong. It's as if he was writing from memory, and couldn't be bothered to rent the movie and see if what he was writing actually took place. And it's not like it tries to play it off as "unreliable narrator" PTSD or whatever.

When the writer gets the actual text of the movie wrong, it's no surprise when he gets a lot of the subtext wrong, too.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A lot of the comics contradict each other and there's absolutely no consistency in the alien's behavior, the universe's technology/culture/history, but some of the stories seem a bit linked or something. I read each one from the mindset that they were stand-alone fan fictions which made things easier.

And yeah, a lot of the comics don't seem to "get" alien. So many have more or less the exact same plot. Scientists/military/corporation think they can control the aliens but SURPRISE they get loose and kill everyone! Sometimes the aliens are unstoppable and guns barely help, sometimes guns chew them up but there's just too many or the humans have too much hubris. Labyrinth had some really creepy body horror poo poo though, I like that they actually just went their own direction with the aliens and their behavior which actually presented something new rather than just a re-hashing of Aliens which is 90% of the comics.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I kind of liked the Wilks/Billie (Hicks/Newt) stories in the comics.

That one Xenomrph was talking about above, 'Labyrinth' was very good too. Although there is some really super-sick poo poo in that one.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Is Labyrinth the one that ends with the Aliens trying to get the main character to impregnate his mom's corpse?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Neo Rasa posted:

Is Labyrinth the one that ends with the Aliens trying to get the main character to impregnate his mom's corpse?

Yep, hosed up. I also didn't quite get the ending or why the scientist was bad.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

It's the Aliens franchise so anyone in a suit or uniform of any kind is the devil.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Baronjutter posted:

A lot of the comics contradict each other and there's absolutely no consistency in the alien's behavior, the universe's technology/culture/history, but some of the stories seem a bit linked or something. I read each one from the mindset that they were stand-alone fan fictions which made things easier.
There's a fairly loose continuity between a lot of the 90s-era comics, although there is a bit of a timeline. The broad strokes are that the first 3 story arcs happen a little more than a decade after Alien3 (the stuff with Wilks/Billie) with Earth being infested with Aliens, and then the majority of the Aliens get lured to one location in like North Dakota or something and nuked off the face of the planet, and humanity reclaims the earth. Then you get a bunch of fairly independent stories happening in the wake of the reclamation of earth (Genocide, Rogue, Hive, Labyrinth, Stronghold) and gradually humanity realizes that yeah, loving around with Aliens is a straight-up bad idea and bans the study/capture of them wholesale, leading to stories like Music of the Spears, Tribes, Wraith, Colonial Marines (not to be confused with the recent videogame of the same name) and Berserker.
The timeline spans a fairly long stretch of time, not quite filling the entire 200-odd year gap between 'Alien3' (August 2179) and Alien Resurrection (January 2381). The technological jumps and Alien effectiveness makes a bit more sense when viewed in "chronological order".

The comics don't reference each other often, but a handful of characters come back once in a while (Herk Mondo, the protagonist from Purge, one particular Predator in the AvP comics cameos across like 3 or 4 series) or get name-drops (Church, the bad guy from Rogue).

Neo Rasa posted:

Kinda sorta. You're thinking of a part in the third act where the Aliens in the dying hive try to get the captive Church to have sex with his own mother (who has had her arms and legs torn off), and he ends up choking her to death rather than go through with it. The Aliens aren't pleased so they web him up and physically place a facehugger on his head (because it's too weak to do so on its own), and the Alien embryo ends up being stillborn inside his chest and he has to surgically remove it from himself once he escapes the hive.

Baronjutter posted:

Church was running the space station as an Alien behavioral research lab, when in actuality he was trying to recreate the crazy hosed-up poo poo he'd seen while trapped in the hive, which included trying to recreate the "black mold" that was killing the hive outright. It involved a lot of hosed up human experimentation that probably wouldn't have passed an ethics committee (complete with orchestrating "workplace accidents" in order to get himself more test subjects), so he was keeping it all hidden.
Crespi and McGuinness almost exposed all of his crazy poo poo, so he trapped them in the Alien test maze and let the Aliens loose. Crespi got killed, and McGuinness escaped and kicked Church's rear end and knocks him into the Alien pit. And then you find out McGuinness got captured by the guards and Church doesn't die, and Crespi wasn't actually killed and now Church has turned him into one of his hosed-up experiments and the horror continues.
"Crespi...I... I just wanted you to know... none of this is personal." v:shobon:v

Labyrinth is my favorite Aliens comic. Awesome artwork, doesn't pull any punches, does new and interesting things with the Aliens and keeps them weird and frightening and threatening instead of bullet-fodder, completely insane body-horror poo poo, and just when you think it's going to play out like the other "mad scientist" Aliens comics that are a dime a dozen, the bad guy wins.

MrMojok posted:

I kind of liked the Wilks/Billie (Hicks/Newt) stories in the comics.

That one Xenomrph was talking about above, 'Labyrinth' was very good too. Although there is some really super-sick poo poo in that one.
The Wilks/Billie stuff starts out good, gets better, and then turns to poo poo in part three.

At the time they were pretty novel. We're talking a continuation of 'Aliens' in a pre-'Alien3' world, where fans were clamoring for a sequel. Not including Ripley at all was a fairly bold move, and the character development for Hicks and Newt made sense. The first story arc was originally in black and white - this was a time period where everything Dark Horse did was in black and white, so it let them do some interesting plot twists like the reveal that the "marines" sent to pacify an Alien hive (including one particular Marine that Newt has fallen in love with) are actually androids, because the black and white artwork doesn't immediately reveal the white blood.
It was a lot of Marines shooting Aliens but they're still kinda dangerous, and there's a rapidly escalating subplot of the Earth getting infested while Hicks and Newt are offworld having an adventure on "the Alien homeworld".

Part 2 had much, much better artwork, and has Hicks and Newt returning to Earth to find out it's infested and there have been mass evacuations, so they divert to a space station run by a lunatic Army general who thinks he can control the Aliens and get them to fight each other (and somehow reclaim Earth) by holding a Queen hostage. He doesn't give a poo poo about his own men, and he takes his Alien soldiers back to Earth where the Queen promptly betrays and kills him. Welp.
It's not a particularly deep story, but the Army general is memorable, his death is pretty satisfying, the artwork is pretty great, and the progression of the love subplot between Newt and the android Marine is handled well (in the sense that it ends, and the android sacrifices himself to save Newt and Hicks).

Part 3 sucked. The art was bad, it brings back Ripley for maximum fan service, Hicks takes a total back seat, and the art is so bad it makes it nigh impossible to figure out what's going on.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 13, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is it explained how the aliens manage to take over earth? I know a single alien can gently caress up a bunch of unarmed space truckers, and some marines that are horribly outnumbered and clueless. But it seems unless there's some super intelligence or abilities we've never seen from the aliens that they'd just all get wiped out before they could become too big of a threat. They'd be more of a threat in rural or natural areas and potentially gently caress up the ecosystem but unless humans let them breed for years and mass to attack cities civilization wouldn't be too threatened. I guess it's my same problem with a lot of zombie situations, zombies would not be at all dangerous to an armed and organized group.

Also in some comic I read they were saying the aliens were part of a massive extinction event that wipes out all life in the universe every few billion years or what ever. How the hell do they get around, they don't build space ships. Sure there will be accidental transportation and derelict ships but intelligent life spreads and colonizes way faster than the aliens could ever hope to accidentally hitch-hike across the galaxy. Someone would need to spread them on purpose on an industrial scale.

The aliens are scary and awful but they're not supernatural. Alien showed a few civilians can, at great cost, actually "defeat" one. Aliens showed that even a bunch of totally unprepared idiots armed with modern weapons and hopelessly outnumbered can hold their own for quite a while and the result was the death of the queen and the hive. Alien 3 had to bring back the tension by making the terrain in the alien's favour and the humans unarmed. The aliens aren't scary because their some japanese horror movie style unstoppable supernatural force, they're scary for other reasons.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

That's one of those things where the novelization of the comic does a better job of explaining it than the original comic does, due to limitations of the medium and whatnot.
The short version is that some wacko cults start smuggling Aliens to Earth and seeding them all over and impregnating themselves, and doing terrorist attacks to break Aliens out of research labs, and the Aliens start infesting rural areas with underground hives and stuff. Things start to gradually escalate without world militaries realizing how widespread the Aliens are, and then they start popping up everywhere and everything just falls apart.

As for the supernatural scourge of the universe thing, you're thinking of Aliens: Apocalypse. The thing to remember with that series is that much of it is the rantings of a literal crazy person, who is interpreting millennia-old religious/mythological carvings of a dead extraterrestrial civilization. I never really took it as literal truth.
As for how Aliens get from place to place, we see it happen in the first three movies. :v: They're interstellar hitchhikers.
There are a couple comics that focus on how Aliens spread from place to place, including a pretty neat one called literally "The Theory of Alien Propagation".

As for Aliens being spread on purpose, the Predators literally do that because they like hunting them.
I think one of the comics and novels brings up the exact point you did, that the Aliens are more widespread than they should be, and then they realize the Predators spread them around and go "ohhhh, well poo poo".

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The predators seem to have controlling/using the aliens for sport down to a science, which sort of defeats the whole "oh the hubris of man thinking they can ever hope to control the unstoppable alien!" theme. Predators routinely mess with the aliens, seed planets, capture and hold queens, all without their civilization getting wiped out.

But yeah an organized cult dedicated to propagating and helping the aliens on earth is a good excuse.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 13, 2015

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

The predators seem to have controlling/using the aliens for sport down to a science, which sort of defeats the whole "oh the hubris of man thinking they can ever hope to control the unstoppable alien!" theme. Predators routinely mess with the aliens, seed planets, capture and hold queens, all without their civilization getting wiped out.

I'd think they probably don't let the Xenos anywhere near their home planet. AvP:R showed an outbreak scenario that probably isn't all that unusual, but I assume that's why the Predators set all this poo poo up on backwater nothing planets.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Baronjutter posted:

Ehh the comics have them loving up fairly routinely, their track record isn't that hot (and in some regards they like it that way, more mortal danger = a more interesting hunt, and going out in a blaze of glory is pretty much their ideal death).

Even the two AvP movies are centered around their supposed "routine" containment methods getting compromised and everything going to poo poo.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Baronjutter posted:

The aliens aren't scary because their some japanese horror movie style unstoppable supernatural force, they're scary for other reasons.

This is just one of those caveats of the series (and I'm talking just the movies here, I have no exposure to other Alien-related media) starting with at least Aliens - that the xenomorph species represents an almost apocalyptic threat to the human race, and your only hope is to nuke all of them before they can spread further.

I've never quite been able to buy this, but it's a notion you just kind of have to roll with since it's pretty much just assumed throughout the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

A lot of it in the movies is their portrayal as a super-capable mysterious Other.
In the first movie none of the characters know what it's capable of and it proceeds to surprise them (and sometimes even defy conventional logic) at every turn. Even Ash has a substantial speech about how perfect and unstoppable it is, and he never actually encounters the adult Alien.

In Aliens their other-ness comes from their community - they willingly assimilate familiar surroundings, pervert them, and then are willing to sacrifice themselves without a second thought in order to preserve the species as a whole. They fight a war of attrition against a dozen people because so long as every human does, even if one egg is left standing, they win.