Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Urban Sorcerer
Oct 16, 2005
Has anyone had any issues with this game and windows 10? I just upgraded and dominions runs at ~2 frames a second, but it is only dominions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Urban Sorcerer posted:

Has anyone had any issues with this game and windows 10? I just upgraded and dominions runs at ~2 frames a second, but it is only dominions.

When my PC chooses to work at all, it runs dom4 just fine.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Luceid posted:

you should link to that post because it sounds very good!

If you click the blue text at the top of a quote, it's a link that takes you to the post that it was quoted from. Here's the link explicitly, though: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3498140&pagenumber=197&perpage=40#post450996425

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 9, 2015

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Urban Sorcerer posted:

Windows 10 here, it runs fine.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Entered my diseased mute prophet into the arena to get him killed (and maybe take out a guy with blood vengeance), and he won by default. Now he has the gladius that gives him protection from afflictions...
I swear to god this game is the master of irony.

nothing connects to this province

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
From ElfsAreDicks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8BrK5bPZg8

Erfsnakes can be dealt with! You just need lots of sacred giants with high protection and a major Nature/Blood-bless. Easy. :smugbird:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Nanomashoes posted:

nothing connects to this province

mountain + swamp. nothing of value was lost

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

ChickenWing posted:

That's what the Pantokrator wants you to believe :tinfoil:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ChickenWing posted:

Flying units and scouts can still go there, I think.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Libluini posted:

Flying units and scouts can still go there, I think.

Not if there aren't any connections, no. The game only understands how travel between provinces works in terms of connections, flying or no.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The only way to get there is to get lost in time and space or banished to hell and then find your way out. At this point, it rolls a random province and puts you there. so you will have a 1/number of provinces chance to land in hosed up worthless swamp and be trapped there forever!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Now all it needs is a three point throne that it's impossible to win the game without.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

fool_of_sound posted:

Not if there aren't any connections, no. The game only understands how travel between provinces works in terms of connections, flying or no.

What about teleportation? Would that work or is teleportation just another way of travel from the game's viewpoint?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Libluini posted:

What about teleportation? Would that work or is teleportation just another way of travel from the game's viewpoint?

Teleport is 6 range and unless there is a hidden connection (use ? to see the hotkey to view those I don't remember it offhand) it will be impossible to go there.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I assume it is, given how it calculates and used to (still does?) gently caress up ritual ranging.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ChickenWing posted:

Don't the mountain provinces and swamp provinces have a higher chance of having good magic sites? Maybe he would get a great one there!

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

Don't the mountain provinces and swamp provinces have a higher chance of having good magic sites? Maybe he would get a great one there!

Wastes and thrones are the only ones with higher site freq unless I am mistaken.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Wastes and thrones are the only ones with higher site freq unless I am mistaken.

Nope. Farms have the lowest base rate, then Plains, then Forests/Mountains, then Swamps, then Wastes, then manysites/thrones.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Speaking of no connections, is there an ETA on the Deism postmortem?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

I need one more newbie for Noobs R Us! Post now or forever hold your peace!

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Elemental plane was added although it's kinda buggy right now.
Fire Giants are pretty cool.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Speleothing posted:

Speaking of no connections, is there an ETA on the Deism postmortem?

Yeah id love to see this.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

amuayse posted:

Elemental plane was added although it's kinda buggy right now.
Fire Giants are pretty cool.

Muspelheim lookin good.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I hereby declare myself victor and Pantokrator of HeadsButGood. I have ascended to godhood because I am awesome, and also most people went AI.

HeadsButGood was an All Ages game that ran for a dang 106 turns. I played as MA Agartha and ran a really conventional major bless and scales build.

My plan was to lean on my awesome, tanky Shard Guards for expansion and then eventually to build armies of Sentinels, which are awesome and tough and virtually indestructible with a nature 9 bless. See how cool they are:

Unfortunately they're also 3 earth gems a pop, and I never had an earth income big enough to support making them on a mass scale until well into the end game. :qq:

The game started out well enough with reasonable expansion and I ran into my neighbor EA Agartha (Xanrick) and Tir Na Nog (Melum) to my west and my east. I made peace with them and continued to expand south when I ran into LA Atlantis (JonJoe) running a W9 bless. W9 Assartuts are a loving blender of death, and JonJoe immediately declared war on me. My Shard Guards, while great at tanking indies and stuff that doesn't have a ton of offensive power, are utterly outclassed by the offensive punch of Assartuts and JonJoe quickly defeated my expansion armies and rolled me back to about 3 or 4 provinces.

I was pretty much dead at this point, and my only thought was to make the siege of my cap as lovely as possible for JonJoe and his loving Assartuts and awake W9 dragon. However, JonJoe got greedy and dumb and decided to attack another neighbor, LA Midgard (RockyB). Why he did this I will never know, but he didn't even get to the point of sieging my cap before he did it. Midgard fought back hard and his Skinshifters were much better at fighting Assartuts then my lovely Agarthans. Enough pressure was taken off me that I could start retaking territory. What turned the tide against JonJoe was ambushing his stupid Dragon with a big ball of these guys:

Holy poo poo these guys are awesome, they are easily my MVP unit of the game. As long as you're not fighting in Cold they are strong, have magical AoE attack, fire shield, the works. They're also cheap as gently caress and I had guys summoning 15 or more a turn for the entire game. They punched JonJoe's dragon to death and he subsequently went AI.

At this point I basically turtled and did very little for the entire mid-game. EA Agartha made war on Vanheim (Neruz), my friend Midgard got killed by Sceleria (Corbeu who became massive and world-threatening. EA Agartha, LA Jomon (originally played by somebody I forgot) and I made a plan to try to kill Sceleria together but then Corbeau up and quit Dominions entirely and went AI. We then spent like 20 turns just slowly chipping away at thousands of skeletons until Xanrick went AI for some reason too. Melum quit as well and his TNN was chain staling for another 20 or so turns.

Whoever was playing LA Jomon wanted to quit and asked for a sub, and Murtidash took over. Murtidash is Cool and Good, and we made a pact to have perpetual peace until we cleaned up the massive AI empires of EA Agartha, Sceleria, and TNN.

We did just that for dozens of boring turns and I got pretty tired of playing them. There was no danger so it was an opportunity to explore summons and high level research but it wasn't much fun. I'd just about finished killing TNN and took one of his thrones when Murtidash informed me that I was only 4 points away from a Throne Victory. I hadn't noticed or paid attention to that so it was a surprise to me. He told me that either I had to give up some thrones to him or we would be at war.

Giving up thrones didn't seem like a good way to win a game where the point is taking thrones, so to war we went. I luckily had a big army sitting next to one of his undefended level 2 thrones, which I grabbed and then magick'd a wizard tower on top of. I made a dash for EA Agartha's throne nearest to me, and I thought that would give me the win but it turned out it was a level 1 throne, leaving me 1 point shy of the 14 required. The next 8 or so turns were some seriously epic and awesome battles between me and Murtidash. When the game goes long enough that everybody maxes out research you get to empty all your forts of mages and have wonderful armies of mage balls slinging poo poo all over the world.

I gathered an army of statues and golem crafters and sent them on a suicide death march into the depths of AI Sceleria to try and capture a throne there. I managed to get the army on the throne province, but the literal thousands of ghouls inside kept me from being able to do any damage to the walls. I was panicking trying to figure out ways to get siege chaff so deep into enemy territory when Murtidash finally noticed that army, concluded he couldn't stop me, and gave up.

You might have been able to stop me, Murtidash! But I certainly wasn't going to tell you. Couple turns later I took the fort and won.

Lots of :words:, really fun game at the end there, and my very first multiplayer win!

e: Kitfox88 played MA R'lyeh and sat in the lake for the entire game, doing nothing useful or interesting.

How are u fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 10, 2015

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

How are u posted:

e: Kitfox88 played MA R'lyeh and sat in the lake for the entire game, doing nothing useful or interesting.

But man, imagine how much PD he had!

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.

How are u posted:

To be fair, that sounds like the fate of almost any water nation.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
But MA Rlyeh is quite good on land and has cool coastal recruits???

For shame.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
what about the part where i blew up your entire army by marching it into your ally

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Samog posted:

what about the part where i blew up your entire army by marching it into your ally

That was my favorite turn and also my favorite strategem.

Decrepus fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 11, 2015

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
the top ten turns in dominions four history

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
poo poo I forgot about that, that was an amazing bit of subbing.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

How are u posted:

My god murdered like 50+ mages with Arcane Threads or whatever it was. Anyone in my dominion was damned to mind attacks. :black101:

until my dom started being pushed back because all I had was lakes. I blame TNN, they thwarted my push onto land when MA Man started dying off.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

ChickenWing posted:

Ladies and gentlegoons, Noobs R Us 3 has started!

This will be the last announcement re: noobsrus3 I make in this thread, just making sure I get coverage due to the super extended time it's taken to get this thing started.

Players, make sure you're looking at the pgs thread (linked in the OP) for your info!

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
PSA: I'm willing to trade as many Lightless Lanterns as you'd like for astral gems in Ermor.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Stupid question: How do I remove a game that has ended from the list of my MP games? I'm losing whole seconds of my life by clicking on the wrong one!

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Stupid question: How do I remove a game that has ended from the list of my MP games? I'm losing whole seconds of my life by clicking on the wrong one!

Simply press the "delete game" button. OH WAIT

I think if you delete prevcons in %appdata%\dominions4 it removes them all

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Mukip posted:

PSA: I'm willing to trade as many Lightless Lanterns as you'd like for astral gems in Ermor.

translation: ive finished researching alt 9 and want to wish more times

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mukip posted:

Can you wish for horrors or something? I got one from a random event, thanks to my nature-mages stealing it and now I want more.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Libluini posted:

Can you wish for horrors or something? I got one from a random event, thanks to my nature-mages stealing it and now I want more.

You can, however there is a 50/50 chance that the horror comes out angry with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

You can, however there is a 50/50 chance that the horror comes out angry with you.

Well, I'm not the one doing the wishes, I just want to steal them

Mukip: Please use your wishes for horrors, you have a 50% chance of them not being hostile, that's incredibly high!

• Locked thread