Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Snazzy Frocks posted:

A summary of Round 6 for those who may have not gotten there yet:

Round one: You match 3
Galactus makes 3 CD tiles

Round two: You match away 0/1/2 of the CD tiles
Galactus makes 3 CD tiles

Round three: You start to panic realizing that you're not going to be able to control these CD tiles so you match towards your next ability
Galactus's tiles resolve creating 9/6/3 irradiated tiles. Galactus makes 3 CD tiles.

Round four: You look on in horror as everything is crumbling around you but you press on forward dutifully, matching what you think is your best shot towards your distant goal
Galactus eats his tiles for ~36/24/12 AP. You die if its the first scenario. Otherwise more CDs resolve creating more irradiated tiles. Galactus makes 3 CD tiles.

Round five: You realize your fate is sealed and you give it your best by firing off a single ability you saved up for, accomplishing nothing against his 24k HP. You make one final match, hoping somehow it will cascade you to victory.
Galactus eats more tiles. He definitely kills you.

Excellent summary. I would like to add that sometimes you match away a CD tile but then he gets a black cascade on cosmic tile resolution at the beginning of turn 4 and kills you anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Yeah gently caress this event.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've gotten loving unlucky on 3 of my Galactus matches where SW's countdown tile didn't get me a 5-match or got destroyed during a cascade. It's friggin' weird.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I've gotten loving unlucky on 3 of my Galactus matches where SW's countdown tile didn't get me a 5-match or got destroyed during a cascade. It's friggin' weird.

Round 6 the board is just too cluttered with garbage for it to be able to convert anything or you're dead before it ever resolves.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Even in round 5 I'm being taken down before I can fire off a single ability. I'm never gonna get that cyclops :(

I don't understand why all the lockouts are necessary in this event. Would it have broken the game so much if they just gave you a preset number of tries against Galactus regardless of your hero stable? Or even if they just cycled the lockouts that you didn't have!!! They only refresh if you finish them, so if you run into a situation where you don't have any of the 5, you are straight up locked out of the event.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 9, 2015

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

SW passive can't convert cosmic tiles, so if there are enough surrounding the countdown tile you get a poo poo resolution.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Round 6 is a joke, 7 and 8 will be impossible if anyone gets there.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
The only thing I can say is you need criticals and as many board shakeups as possible to survive, even then its luck.

Cyc, loki, obw

Cyc can help with cascades by creating red, his red destroys rows, and his black is main damage source besides critical matches
OBW's blue can increase countdowns, if you need her purple, it's too late, if you didn't level the other 2 dweebs up she steals his black on matches.
Loki's shuffle is cheap as gently caress, you can start one match away if you use a purple+blue boost.

You kinda have to match purple, then blue or yellow, and they pray loki can chain shuffle.
combined with cyc's yellow you have a decent chance of some cascades, but overall this event is a load of poo poo, if not blue matches will help slow some countdowns down that are out.

-Don't use health packs, just keep an eye on his ap, when its going near 30 just forfeit by pressing pause at top of screen and leave, you only lose like 33% of you health i think.

Also the lovely loving pieces of poo poo turned scaling on the essential nodes, but changed nothing else in the event.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

bacon flaps posted:

Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll remove Galactus and just give us all the rewards, gently caress that event.

Still better than fighting Ultron.
God I hate fighting Ultron.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

duz posted:

Still better than fighting Ultron.
God I hate fighting Ultron.

At least Ultron required a small amount of skill. This is basically a slot machine. Either you get super lucky, or you die by turn 3 (in round 6). That's it.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Ultron killed one character at a time, this is a 4 turn unsurvivable wipe from someone who can generate max ap of all colors in 4 turns.

But if I remember right, they switched to to damaging all people last run, they just don't like players enjoying their game.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Comparing Ultron to Galactus in terms of annoyance factor is about the same as comparing Ultron to Galactus in terms of in-continuity power level

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was going to see if there was any alliances open so I could try the even but reading what's going on, hell no.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

The best part is that the devs posted once yesterday morning (Effectively saying "Hey we know there's server issues, sorry about that, peace") and since then there's been nothing

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

AnonSpore posted:

The best part is that the devs posted once yesterday morning (Effectively saying "Hey we know there's server issues, sorry about that, peace") and since then there's been nothing

They haven't even logged onto the forum since yesterday. They're all at New York Comic Con I think.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

skipdogg posted:

They haven't even logged onto the forum since yesterday. They're all at New York Comic Con I think.

The devs are on record as saying they don't go to cons, but the marketing people do.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Bah, those tokens are the worst.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

AnonSpore posted:

The devs are on record as saying they don't go to cons, but the marketing people do.

Ahh, then they're hiding, which is probably smart.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

This kabirh guy who says he works for demiurge posted this on reddit about the tokens

quote:

Hey guys, I can see why this is confusing. The difference between this year and last is that we are handing out a LOT more Anniversary tokens when you play. Check the Black Vortex PVP Progression Rewards, we more than doubled the number of tokens you can earn. Odds went down, but you will more than make up for it by playing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MarvelPuzzleQuest/comments/3o0eez/anniversary_tokens_are_a_lot_worse_this_year_here/

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I also find it weirdly funny how some people are going like "This event is made for whales with strong rosters!" I could have the most blinged out roster and go in with fully covered and leveled Silver Surfer and Old Man Logan and I'd achieve results only marginally better (actually probably worse, since OML and SS aren't exactly speedsters when it comes to ap accumulation) than with my current one. This event isn't made for whales (except in the fact they can might health packs with HP). It's not made for anyone.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
My current setup for Round 6 is Prof X(5/2/5)/GSBW(5/3/5)/and Scarlet Witch(3/5/5), the typical winfinite combo, boosted with pink/blue.

The wanda tile sometimes never goes off or if it does it doesn't do much, so I'm considering changing her out for 3*Bullseye which can create a separate cascade using the green AP GSBW will hopefully generate.

Either way this all sucks

OldNorthBridge
Jul 23, 2003

Take your medicine!

Yeah, this whole "you better do 24k damage in 3 turns or Galactus will cornhole you" thing just isn't fun. No matter what your roster looks like.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

it seriously wouldn't be so bad if there was no artificial limit on how many times you could fight galactus. have the five nodes escalate in difficulty but set it up so that each one give 1/3/5/7/9 attempts per successful clear, so people at all roster levels can pace themselves however they want.

seriously, with galactus wiping you by turn 3/4, the need to burn health packs on repeat attempts should be all the barrier they need.

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
I guess then people might just send their whole roster in one team at a time to chip away at him, this way you have to use your best characters and really strategerize.
gently caress this event though, in round 6 you're hosed on the 3rd turn if you get a lovely board.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

21st Cherry boy posted:

I guess then people might just send their whole roster in one team at a time to chip away at him, this way you have to use your best characters and really strategerize.
gently caress this event though, in round 6 you're hosed on the 3rd turn if you get a lovely board.

which makes sending in waves of scrubs equally pointless. even if you send in all 40 dudes at random levels and covers, the guys near the bottom of your roster have 0% change of doing meaningful damage to him before he wipes them, and then you're down to health packs to keep playing the game

i actually feel like it's surprising that they didn't just let you run yourself ragged through all your healthpacks and then let you drop cash to keep going.

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.

21st Cherry boy posted:

That's no joke. I blew thru boosts trying to start with enough purple AP to get headway on Whaling him with Deadpool. All three times I got crap boards with no matchable purples anywhere. gently caress this event.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
:siren: You can force close the phone app to get another shot at the big node and also log your damage against Galactus :siren:

Be sure to force close on your turn. If it comes to Galactus's turn where hes gonna eat the stuff and then kill you its already too late.

It wont update your personal score but it will add to the alliance damage.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

icex posted:

Hey all,

Wanted to share a few things about how Galactus works and what we're expecting versus what we're seeing.

To start, it seems like a lot of people are on a basic disconnect here, looking at the boss battle similar to how Ultron ran in terms of how things work. Meaning that Ultron should be going down pretty regularly. He's powerful, but his real power lies in the fact that killing his body doesn't stop him. You need to crush every one of his drones and main bodies to win. So winning rounds is a pretty regular occurrence. Game-wise, what this means is that players won fairly easily against Ultron and took their lumps against the drones. The stopping timer there was health packs based on when the drones finally wore you down. What this also meant is that the higher end Alliances would chew through the entire Event in about 12 hours and let it kinda sit for 3 days.

Galactus is different. The "minion" fights against the villains are relatively simple. They're there as minor hazards but relatively easily winnable. Galactus on the other hand is a massive threat. He's not going to be stopped by gnats. Iron Fist punching him in the toe isn't very painful. So he gets bored and swats them away. In game terms, this means that players are going to be beaten. Winning a round against Galactus is an achievement. You're supposed to lose. Every time you do, you're still chipping away at his life. It's an exercise in damage in aggregate. Over the 3.5 days, hitting him over and over to finally bring down the big bad is somewhat slow, but certainly effective.

Overall, most of the higher end Alliances are in Round 6 or knocking on the door to Round 7. Which is actually slightly faster than we were expecting people to get just based on the math. So everyone's doing pretty darned well in terms of progression. There are some teams rockin' the Winfinite, other teams that are pushing through with some interesting strategies (who woulda thought OBW would be a rock star against Galactus?). Not many Alliances are getting anywhere near full clears. Which is actually intended. You're supposed to lose your Health Packs on Galactus, rather than against the minions like on Ultron. It's also why we changed up the play method for this round too so that it's not just a flip flop between Ultron and minions till you win. There's a set number of times you can hit Galactus before you need to take a break to let minions refresh. That break means that you have plenty of times for Galactus drained Packs to refresh while you can go in and get some Black Vortex in. Or play Simulator (up soon). Or get your Devil Dino on when that starts up. It's a different design than the rush of Ultron where that was pretty much all players did while it was open.

Long story short, you all are doing really well against Galactus. Yes, the gameplay is different. I'm sure most of you aren't used to going into a battle with the idea that you may well lose. But given that you're still pulling out wins with pretty strong regularity, I don't see any reason this wouldn't continue into Rounds 7 and 8, and on to Cyclops awesomeness.

At the outset, going into the boss battle, you're looking at winning like normal. After all, it works elsewhere in the game, and it worked against Ultron. So suddenly getting rocked by Galactus is a shock. Keep at it. If things are really going to go poorly, we'll look at doing refresh timer changes and the like that we can do server-side as a quicker band aid style fix for run 1. After that, we'll figure out what we want to do for difficulty on run 2 (and any other runs that we do in the future, of course).

LOL.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
lol dayum

Lordy
Jan 2, 2011
Get hosed icex. This is in no way enjoyable.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

lmao

"hey guys if you're slamming yourself against the big bad like lemmings then clearly you're playing like you're supposed to and should be having fun!"

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Yeah his post sealed the deal. I'm done with this game. Time and time again these idiots have shown they don't know what the hell they're doing. They can't keep their servers online, even when they know a rush of people are coming. Their "gameplay" (and I use that term loosely) design is beyond pathetic. Yes, we purposely designed this awesome anniversary event to be the gaming equivalent of slamming your dick in a car door repeatedly.

I'm going to find something else to play on my phone. I'm not having fun anymore.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
There's no sense of progress or achievement with Galactus at all. By level 6 it's literally become "send 3 guys at him, lose in 3-4 turns, watch a bar fill up a little bit, repeat" until you run out of chances and have to wait another 8 hours. The other anniversary events better be good because so far they're off to a loving terrible start.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Just to toss further insight in.

He mentions that the rewards are good cyclops and legendary tokens.

The legendary token is a solo reward at 1,250,000.
Round 8 is complete at 5,900,000

There are 20 people in an alliance.

The people getting to rounds 6 and 7 are force quitting unfavorable boards.
Even they won't all be able to get the legendary.

Lordy
Jan 2, 2011
I don't think you understand. This is Galactus we are talking about here. He's strong and we are merely ants to him which he pushes away.
Actually that kinda sounds like an analogy for the devs.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Get hosed level 395 gorgon with a board full of Teitatsu gently caress off tiles. What the gently caress.

deimos fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 10, 2015

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

deimos posted:

Get hosed level 395 gorgon with a board full of Teitatsu gently caress off tiles. What the gently caress.

I still laugh at the fact that they still decided to change that one part of the event. 'oops scalings off, anyway back to tossing your face at a 4 turn boss fight'

Only abuse galactus from here on out. Go obw, damage, loki, start with boosts, force quit before he get his last turn.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

deimos posted:

Gorgon always sucks and I have no idea why they never released him as a character

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

SectumSempra posted:

Just to toss further insight in.

He mentions that the rewards are good cyclops and legendary tokens.

The legendary token is a solo reward at 1,250,000.
Round 8 is complete at 5,900,000

There are 20 people in an alliance.

The people getting to rounds 6 and 7 are force quitting unfavorable boards.
Even they won't all be able to get the legendary.

I'm mad at this event too but c'mon let's at least do some thinking. Getting mad for the wrong reasons just makes you look dumb.

Personal scores are for the accumulated total of what you get across every phase, which is 16,885,000. In addition the devs have said (though I would not be surprised if this was not the case) that you can continue to run even after all progression rewards have been met.

What you should be mad about is that even assuming perfect refreshes and more wins vs Big G than losses it's loving impossible to get the legendary token within the time allotted simply because the numbers aren't there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

we're both saying the numbers aren't there just in different ways.

And I'm pretty sure I'm still more bothered by the fact that we're expected to lose. but ok.

I'm curious as to where your 16 million figure comes from.

https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33376&start=220

like two of the posts there go over the fact that you have 7 screw ups in total to safely get a legendary, if you're perfect final round, which no one will be.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 10, 2015