Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've been trying to play a proper catholic game, and I'm having trouble adjusting from playing Pagans, and having the ability to take what I want, whenever I want it. I thought I maneuvered into being able to press some claims, but they don't seem to be working properly. I'm the King of England, trying to finish taking over the rest of Wales. My first question involves this:

The Earl of Chester (yellow) is my direct vassal, and has a strong claim on Perffedwald, Blue. Blue is the direct vassal of the Duke of Gwynned, Red. Shouldn't I be able to declare war on Red, with the CB press claim for Blue? I don't have that option, I error our with no valid CBs.

Second, similar.

I have a courtier with a strong claim on the Petty Kingdom of Powys, the Red Duchy. I should be able to talk to the duke there, and use that claim as a CB, no? Same issue as above though, no valid CBs.

I'd understand if I couldn't press weak claims, because all relevant parties are adult males without regencies, but I thought I could push a strong claim at will. Any ideas?

Finally, a wtf moment. I thought it was funny.

Thanks Pope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Theswarms posted:

Thanks.

Is there anyway to encourage Jew's to come to my court(independent duchy). None seem interested in being invited due to heathen modifier.

They appear randomly if you are Muslim, Christian, or Zoroastrian. You don't have to invite them.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Finally, a wtf moment. I thought it was funny.

Thanks Pope.

Is that councilor Jewish too?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Is that councilor Jewish too?

Yes, he had his Jewish Councillor fabricating claims in Catholic England.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Anyone have a clue why this duchy I just spent 1000 gold in mercs to wrest from the Arpad dynasty is just going to go right back to them when I die?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
It looks like you just seized it and haven't unpaused yet, run the game for a month or so and it should display the correct heir. (or if you have access to the console, fire the console command recalc_succ).

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like there should be some kind of mechanic for a nomad khanate to collapse into individual clans. One thing that's kind of weird about the new nomad mechanics is how stable nomadic realms are - the real Mongol empire only existed while Genghis Khan was alive - before him all the nomadic clans were unconnected and after he died the empire immediately split into four distinct parts. The way it works now, it's really easy to just grow and grow a khanate forever and face very few challenges from vassal clans for control or independence.

And idea I had yesterday is maybe clans should start off with king level titles rather than as a khanate, but they'd have a decision available to them to form one (costing a bunch of prestige or something to activate), which would create an empire level title with special rules that destroy it on the death of the holder, as well as granting the holder a special CB to subjugate neighbouring clans into their khanate as vassals. Thus for the most part nomads would be fighting amongst themselves for territory or raiding, but if someone big enough comes along they can suddenly roll them all up into a big death ball that tramples over Europe or whatever and then immediately falls apart again when the ruler dies.

Perhaps with enough prestige or something, there could be a second decision available to a ruler of a khanate to extend the life of the title for another generation, allowing it to become more persistent but still always just on the verge of falling apart if the next leader is too weak or passive.

This raises the question of how the current clan relation mechanics would work since most of the time you'd just be independent - I think the idea of blood oaths/feuds is cool and would like to keep it though - maybe instead of just tracking the members of your khanate, the clan view will display your relationships with ALL neighbouring clans, allowing you to declare feuds or blood oaths and build clan relations even while independent.

These are just a bunch of random thoughts - I feel like even non-nomadic empires are a bit too stable too, but it seems a bit more jarring with nomads just because historically they had extremely rapid boom and bust cycles rather than building up over generations (at least until they settled and starting building a more stable power base a-la Kublai Khan.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So I've gone back to my Wales game for now and I really need the King of Norway to die so my truce with him (5years left) can be dissolved so I can conquer Cornwall using my Fabricated claim before my 61 year old king kicks the bucket. Unfortunately my plot to kill him has stalled at 89% and no one else seems interested. What can I do to kill this jerk?

I've sent my chancellor to try to sow dissent in his capital, but that hasn't produced useful results so far. I thought of have having him excommunicated, but the Pope doesn't want to. Not sure what else to do.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 10, 2015

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Dallan Invictus posted:

It looks like you just seized it and haven't unpaused yet, run the game for a month or so and it should display the correct heir. (or if you have access to the console, fire the console command recalc_succ).

Yeah you're right, thanks.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So I've gone back to my Wales game for now and I really need the King of Norway to die so my truce with him (5years left) can be dissolved so I can conquer Cornwall using my Fabricated claim before my 61 year old king kicks the bucket. Unfortunately my plot to kill him has stalled at 89% and no one else seems interested. What can I do to kill this jerk?

I've sent my chancellor to try to sow dissent in his capital, but that hasn't produced useful results so far. I thought of have having him excommunicated, but the Pope doesn't want to. Not sure what else to do.

If you're worried about being on the verge of death anyway, why not just break the truce? The "truce breaker" penalty will be lost as soon as your current guy dies and the prestige cost is generally not that big a deal for old kings.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

More than half my prestige! Over 1600! I have a high score to set! The Resign screen taunts me!

And I will not have the man who unified Wales be known as a Trucebreaker. I may want an epitaph, but not that badly. :colbert:

There are also two Welsh Culture Counties currently controlled by England France on the other side of my border, but they're no longer de jure parts of Wales. Not sure how to take them over, marriage plots I guess, but one is ruled by a kid and the other refuses to let my kin marry a granddaughter well down the line of succession because "he desires a better alliance". A nobody count wants a better alliance than loving Kingdom of Wales? :argh:

Too bad neither of them has useful claimants.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 10, 2015

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Grab a shovel. We've found the next king.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Trujillo posted:

Grab a shovel. We've found the next king.

what the gently caress

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Also, I just realized my court has almost 70 people in it. Whats the easiest way to clear house of some of the useless ones?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

verbal enema posted:

what the gently caress

Look where he's from. Being dead is clearly not going to be an impediment to him being king.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

verbal enema posted:

what the gently caress

It's a not at all uncommon bug.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Also, I just realized my court has almost 70 people in it. Whats the easiest way to clear house of some of the useless ones?

Pagan, marry them off to temple holders far, far away. Works for men and women.

Not pagan, patience and no marriages for anyone.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I remember one game wherein my old ruler picked up Depressed and once I got my succession all nicely squared away, I went through my court and active plots list and imprisoned about 25 useless courtiers and executed them all at once, then for the grand finale executed myself.

My only regret is I should have called a summer fair first

Hammy
May 26, 2006
umop apisdn
I like having lots of courtiers running around, makes it easy to find good councillors, educators, plotters, whatever you need.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Hammy posted:

I like having lots of courtiers running around, makes it easy to find good councillors, educators, plotters, whatever you need.

Yeah that is nice, except most of them have lousy stats and the fertility penalty means I barely have any under 30-40. This is gonna be a nasty die-off.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
If they're not all married, marry off the real garbage ones (matri-marry the dudes to other courts and regular for women), and anyone with half-decent stats could be used and try to pull in useful people. Try to prioritize anyone who'd fill a high-tier council spot or have good military traits. Otherwise hope your ruler gets depressed near the end.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

I remember one game wherein my old ruler picked up Depressed and once I got my succession all nicely squared away, I went through my court and active plots list and imprisoned about 25 useless courtiers and executed them all at once, then for the grand finale executed myself.

My only regret is I should have called a summer fair first

holy poo poo this is the perfect thing to do

Thanks for the inspiration.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The second King of Wales dies of depression the day a feast he held ends. Must've been a great party.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Is there any way to ask your liege to transfer vassals that are in your de jure territory or is that an AI only thing?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

They appear randomly if you are Muslim, Christian, or Zoroastrian. You don't have to invite them.

They should also really appear for Romuva since pagan Lithuania was a refuge for Jews since the locals didn't really care who allegedly killed Jesus or who Jesus even was. But that doesn´t seem to be a thing.

So Paradox people add that in the next patch so, tia.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
If I'm using the subjugation Casus Belli and the person I am at war with offers peace before I conquer all counties, do I get complete control of them since I'm subjugating, or just the conquered counties? I want to know if I can save myself some gold.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The second King of Wales dies of depression the day a feast he held ends. Must've been a great party.

Comedowns are a bitch.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

If I am not a member of a Kingdom, is there any way for me to see who supports who in the Elective Monarchy? I've been patiently waiting for France and England to split apart after Henri II Capet dies, but a while back I noticed that both kingdoms are now going to be inherited by the same guy. Unfortunately the inheritor is rather popular, so plots to assassinate him have failed to gather any momentum. I figure the next thing I could try is to plot to kill those who support the dude inheriting the English throne as well as the French throne. Kill the voters and hope their replacements vote another way. But I don't know who to target.

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

If I'm using the subjugation Casus Belli and the person I am at war with offers peace before I conquer all counties, do I get complete control of them since I'm subjugating, or just the conquered counties? I want to know if I can save myself some gold.

Isn't White Peace a "Ok, war is over, nothing changes hands but no one really admits they lost" thing? Meaning you won't gain anything,? Or does it work differently for subjugation?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Isn't White Peace a "Ok, war is over, nothing changes hands but no one really admits they lost" thing? Meaning you won't gain anything,? Or does it work differently for subjugation?

I'm not sure, I've only just started playing as pagans so I'm not 100% on subjugation yet.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

I'm not sure, I've only just started playing as pagans so I'm not 100% on subjugation yet.

If there is no "White Peace" in the offer than you get what you fought for.

as in the whole subjugation not just what you have sieged down.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Speaking from my experience as a nomad, Subjugation means you fold your target, and their vassals, into your empire as your new vassals. I expect it's the same for pagans, given the "All holdings are vassalized or seized" clause. If you mean Invasion, then you probably should occupy every county just to make sure. Fortunately, you only need to occupy the capital of a county to claim it, rather than sieging down every single holding in the realm.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Uhhhhhh, guys, kill the Muslims, not my family. :cripes:

[edit]

Thanks for losing us the Crusade, Templars & Company! Your plan to keep sieging a useless county instead of reinforcing a losing, but nearly even fight you could've turned into a crushing victory was truly a brilliant tactical decision. Enjoy being crushed by the guys who just murdered us. :rant:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Oct 11, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Man, I don't know how I'm supposed to take over a county when the biggest army I can raise is like 5000 and I'm up against 30,000

edit: So I need a crash course in alliances in this game, cause that's why I'm getting destroyed. I go to war over one tiny county in northern Iberia and in 2 weeks I'm fighting all of France.

Snak fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 11, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

There isn't that much to it. Got a sister or daughter or you wan to marry for alliances? Start shopping around and looking at nearby independent Kings/Dukes, look for unmarried sons or brothers, especially nice to grab are unmarried sons low(ish) in the line of succession since you can probably swing a matrilinear marriage then.

[edit] Question of my own, is there any reason to make the capital of your Kingdom the de jure Capital of that Kingdom? (though often they're nice counties)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Ugh my good heir died before I did. Now my heir is some worthless kid. I wonder if I can nominate someone decent... I can't believe my guy is still alive at 58...

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Snak posted:

Man, I don't know how I'm supposed to take over a county when the biggest army I can raise is like 5000 and I'm up against 30,000

edit: So I need a crash course in alliances in this game, cause that's why I'm getting destroyed. I go to war over one tiny county in northern Iberia and in 2 weeks I'm fighting all of France.

In the base game alliances only come easily from marriage and friendships. Hope you have a lot of daughters and marry them out to as many powerful rulers or heirs to powerful rulers as possible.

But if you're open to the use of mods then Hooni's Rebels and Warmongers has a nice "diplomacy" mechanic that is well balanced and allows you to occasionally create alliances with characters you otherwise would not be able to. It has a cooldown that keeps you from abusing the mechanic, and even when you use it there is no guarantee you'll strike up a friendship with the ruler you've targeted (it can backfire and have the targeted ruler grow to hate you). But rulers in the same cultural or religious group generally will agree to help you out, so it's handy for creating alliances between yourself and other similar rulers (ex. Playing a Norse pagan you can use it to convince other Norse pagan rulers to back you up).

Really, I can't play the game without Hooni's RAW. It adds in so many useful things while maintaining a sense of balance that the game seems too simple without it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Good riddance, indeed. I can't stop laughing at this.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Weird, my cloud autosaves are breaking. Anyone had this happen before?

Dryb
Jul 30, 2007

What did I do?
I had that happen when i de-opted out of the beta and my saves weren't compatible with the older version. Are your computers the same version of ck2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Tanistry can pick infants? Holy smokes, I thought it was adult/landed only...

Edit:

Also I find it highly poo poo how keen the muslims are in joining holy wars when the Christians seem to be content to watch the world burn around them. Sigghhh.

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 11, 2015

• Locked thread