Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Watching Matt try to smile, as he has seen the hu-mans do so many times, is endlessly entertaining

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Matt's growing on me now that he's mostly stopped talking over Alex.

Hard to see how he loses anytime soon.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

zakharov posted:

Matt's growing on me now that he's mostly stopped talking over Alex.

Yeah, he probably calmed down a bit after a new day of taping or something. Maybe Maggie or another Contestant Coordinator spoke to him prior?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Oh boy, a Missed Connections story from Ernestine today.

PrincessKate
Mar 16, 2004

Let's get it on, honey.
You guys are crazy that you don't think Matt is a total weirdo

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

PrincessKate posted:

You guys are crazy that you don't think Matt is a total weirdo

I'm not sure anyone said he wasn't a weirdo. That doesn't automatically make him unlikable or bad.

Also, don't they have some sort of system to prevent categories that are so very obviously geared towards someone's expertise? I mean an IT category with a guy who works as an IT consultant (including a clue that dealt with consultants directly) seems kind of lovely.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Colonial Air Force posted:

I'm not sure anyone said he wasn't a weirdo. That doesn't automatically make him unlikable or bad.

Also, don't they have some sort of system to prevent categories that are so very obviously geared towards someone's expertise? I mean an IT category with a guy who works as an IT consultant (including a clue that dealt with consultants directly) seems kind of lovely.

No. They have the opposite. There are six possible games at the start of a taping day. A lawyer comes in and picks five and then the contestant order is also randomized.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Haven't you ever seen that Cheers episode

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

They also had a fat guy category today but I don't think he got any of those right.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

mennoknight posted:

No. They have the opposite. There are six possible games at the start of a taping day. A lawyer comes in and picks five and then the contestant order is also randomized.

They've mentioned the process on the show before. Not in any real detail, but just enough to swear the show isn't rigged. I think it was after one of the kids tournaments. When the kid who was a big Abraham Lincoln fan won $60,000 on an Emancipation Proclamation final.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

wa27 posted:

They also had a fat guy category today but I don't think he got any of those right.

lol i said this when he couldn't get sticky buns

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I remember there being a Canadian on the show once a day with a category about Canadian provinces, too.

Which quite frankly is totally fair given how many America-based categories there are :colbert:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Wait, didn't Matt wager $5000 on that Double Jeopardy!? They only took $5.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

I thought I heard him wager $5000 as well.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

No, he said "five", paused for a second and then clarified dollars while Trebek was talking. Like that nerd would bet half his cash on a sports question.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

OK. Yeah, he hadn't gotten the previous answers in that category, so I was surprised to hear him betting so close to his usual $6k.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

I'm all aboard the Matt Jackson train. He's weird, but damnit, he's my kind of weird.

Also, found this while looking for clips of him to show my friend:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baAT2gddTcM

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I thought he bet 5k, and there's a lot of people on the Jeopardy FB page that think so too.

Alex even said "you're down to 8k" or whatever too, but the number just went down $5.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I think he said your lead is down to 8

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Here's the thing about Matt: gently caress that guy

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

HookShot posted:

I thought he bet 5k, and there's a lot of people on the Jeopardy FB page that think so too.

Alex even said "you're down to 8k" or whatever too, but the number just went down $5.

I didn't catch the episode live but I've got it on DVR now and here is exactly what is said

Matt. Five. [then something after this that i couldn't understand at first]

Alex: And that means your lead has been reduced to $8,395, so select again.

Matt posted on his facebook that he said 'five please Alex' and after knowing this and listening again that is absolutely what he is saying. It's amazing how many people are CERTAIN that Alex said his score was 8k.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Ah sweet, thanks for that!

Crazy how all of us thought we heard the completely wrong thing.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

In the end, it wouldn't have mattered much since he would have just wagered more and that softball FJ clue.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that sports question was easy even if you don't know that specific player.

also what is with people that need to get close to the lead late in double jeopardy wimping out on daily doubles all the time. are you here to win or what.

Arturo Ui posted:

I didn't catch the episode live but I've got it on DVR now and here is exactly what is said

Matt. Five. [then something after this that i couldn't understand at first]

Alex: And that means your lead has been reduced to $8,395, so select again.

Matt posted on his facebook that he said 'five please Alex' and after knowing this and listening again that is absolutely what he is saying. It's amazing how many people are CERTAIN that Alex said his score was 8k.

i think the confusion comes from matt's habit of always talking over alex.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I have embraced Matt. He is too good, and doesn't even seem to lose steam over a week/taping day.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Alex Trebek said weed on Jeopardy today.

"Maui Wowie"
- Alex Trebek, 2015

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

zakharov posted:

I have embraced Matt. He is too good, and doesn't even seem to lose steam over a week/taping day.

only patriots or yankees fans root for bad people just because they win.

FuhrerHat posted:

Alex Trebek said weed on Jeopardy today.

"Maui Wowie"
- Alex Trebek, 2015

remember when everyone laughed at ken jennings for saying "hoe" even though it was a correct answer to the clue.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

From KJ's official website:

quote:

Did you really think the "long-handled gardening tool" was a ho(e)?

The longest-remembered thing about my Jeopardy! games, I'm proud to say, will probably be this YouTube clip, in which I am ruled incorrect for supplying the response "What is a hoe?" to a clue about a "long-handled gardening tool" with an unfortunate double meaning.

Here's the scoop: at the time I buzzed, I felt good about my answer. By the time Alex called on me, though, I had realized that there was no way Jeopardy! was asking about ho's. But by that point, as you can tell by my smirk in the video, I was perfectly willing to spend $400 for the privilege of asking Alex Trebek what a ho is. During the next ad break, Al, the Minnesota pastor on the end who says, "What is a rake?", told me that he'd been trying to buzz in with "What is a ho?" as well, and he was glad he'd lost the buzzer race, since his congregation never would have let him live it down.

Many people who ask me about this clue think that I was jobbed. I think Alex was right to rule against me, for one reason: the gardening tool is a "hoe," while the immoral person (and is he or she necessarily a pleasure seeker?) is usually spelled "ho." But I have always wondered if the clue was designed to elicit the "What is a ho?" response from some lucky contestant. It sure smells like a set-up.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Matt is cool and has more personality in his sociopathic smile than most contestants have in their entire bodies. I hope he continues to stomp people, only to intentionally lose in order to fit into this year's ToC so he can stomp all over them too.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
This thread is going to explode in an outburst of irrational hate when ToC rolls around and it's Matt vs. Alex vs. that dancing lady that didn't win enough but should still come back anyway.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

did irrational change meanings when I wasn't looking.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I haven't watched in awhile and heard there was someone good. Holy poo poo at today's episode, where he runs the board like he's playing Space Invaders.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

That FJ should have been a $200 clue

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

Hey, we're finally catching up to the ones I saw taped. My girlfriend will be on Monday's episode, will she be goon cursed by proxy? Tune in and find out!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
How will Matt show us he's won 11 games on Monday?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

take off a shoe and hope he's flexible.

zVxTeflon posted:

That FJ should have been a $200 clue

indiana jones one from the other night shoulda been too.

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

How will Matt show us he's won 11 games on Monday?

Spoiler alert: he just smiles creepily.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Spraynard Kruger posted:

My girlfriend will be on Monday's episode

I'm sorry for her loss

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Someone posted on Jboard that he probably cuts off Alex because he's used to Quiz Bowl where you're encouraged to do that to keep the game moving. Also he's apparently the best Quiz Bowl player ever.

http://jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3138

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That article says that quiz bowl is typically played without an audience, so it's still valid to say it's annoying to watch :colbert: