Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
well they cut it for a reason homie, even sword art online had some sketch poo poo that never saw the light of day from when it was a web-novel.

e: also did anyone see that skythewood post urging everyone to buy this poo poo? I don't even know what it is but it looks cool.

sunken fleet fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

SugarAddict posted:

I just read the buttplug chapter.
:barf:.
I think I'm done with overlord now.

At least they had the good sense to cut it for the LN. SAO did the same thing with its sex chapter.

e: beaten.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
I haven't actually managed to finish reading the most recently translated bit yet but the stuff I have read...

quote:

“Fufu — Enfi-chan, you got cucked by a goblin? Fufufu.”
The translation is really something this time, I didn't realize how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Sinking Ship posted:

e: also did anyone see that skythewood post urging everyone to buy this poo poo? I don't even know what it is but it looks cool.

Holy gently caress, that's just the first four episodes in a box-set for like 80 dollars. Noo thanks!

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I enjoyed volumes 4-6 for what they were, but overall Overlord desperately need an enemy that can oppose Ainz on some level or this is going to get stale.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Mordaedil posted:

Holy gently caress, that's just the first four episodes in a box-set for like 80 dollars. Noo thanks!

To be fair the yen is so weak now that that's like $62, but yeah still no thanks.

EDIT: plus shipping of course haha

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Vengarr posted:

I enjoyed volumes 4-6 for what they were, but overall Overlord desperately need an enemy that can oppose Ainz on some level or this is going to get stale.

I think that's what the periodic intermissions about the dragons are leading up to.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Only seen much about them on the wiki but the new world dragons are much weaker than Yggdrasil raid boss dragons. Anyone who's read the Web Novel can point out where I've gone wrong here as it's based on summaries of the web novel and scattered parts of the translated LN's.

The True Dragon Lords were killed by the Eight Greed kings, a previous guild of players who conquered the entire world 500 years before the arrival of Nazarick. The Greed Kings then killed each other and their civilisation fell into ruins apart from their items and guild city which is still protected by 30 Guardian NPC's and the "new" Platinum Dragon Lord. Platinum and the other new Dragon Lords are much weaker than the original TDL's and believe Yggdrasil players to be the greatest threat seen in the new world. Many of the more powerful magical weapons in the world come from the Greed King's city such as Brain's katana and the Nameless Spellbook which may be a world class item.

Platinum and Evileye/Landfall were members of the Thirteen Heroes, lead by two players. The leader killed the other player and died of his wounds, refusing resurrection which effectively disbanded the group. The other group from 600 years before Nazarick was the Six Gods who seemingly died of old age and are worshipped by the Slane Theorcracy. They brought magic scaling to the world and corrupted the old system of Wild Magic used by the dragons. It also appears that the Six Gods were only capable of level 6 magic while the two players of Thirteen Heroes were limited to level 5 magic. Considering Nazarick has multiple casters capable of level 10 magic, many of them are immune to ageing, and large scale infighting is unlikely, they seem to be sitting on top of the power curve.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Overlord BD vol 1 has sold over 10k copies now, making it quite a hit, and considering how much the novels sold as a result of the adaptation, we'll probably be seeing a second season. Some day.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Eh, I'd watch it. :shrug:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

As long as it cuts/skips the pointless invasion of Nazarick arc and other unsavory things I'll be a happy camper.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I doubt they'll skip an entire volume, no matter what our reaction to that one is. If they run at the same pace as this season though it'll probably only go Vol 4-6 anyway, which would be a good stopping point.

I finally saw the last episode yesterday, and it was pretty good. I was expecting less given the reactions from this thread. Better at least than the one or two that came before it, though not as good as the LN's depiction of the events.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I despise hulu and funimation but I am checking out this series. Nice to see a new take on 'video game becomes real'. Especially because I love games where you play as the villain.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Annointed posted:

As long as it cuts/skips the pointless invasion of Nazarick arc and other unsavory things I'll be a happy camper.

Volume 7 is pretty important, but it basically boils down to is that "Foresight" is full of really good people, and Ainz is a really sad, pathetic person. It really drives home what an utter loser Ainz is, but a better writer could have done in a chapter what Maruyama used an entire book on.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
I cant wait for another season where Ainz & Co brutally murder everyone and talk 100 hours about spells. Its because I do not care at all about the plight of fake humans inside a video game thats inside an anime. Bring on the badness

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Vengarr posted:

Volume 7 is pretty important, but it basically boils down to is that "Foresight" is full of really good people, and Ainz is a really sad, pathetic person. It really drives home what an utter loser Ainz is, but a better writer could have done in a chapter what Maruyama used an entire book on.

This is the issue, really. The idea is a good one both story-wise(Nazarick revealing itself to the world with a show of power) and character development wise(these normal humans get brutally murdered in part because they made Ainz mad about the fact that his video game friends deserted him), but it's needlessly bloated and took up a lot of space that could be used on other stuff.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Oct 9, 2015

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Above Our Own posted:

I cant wait for another season where Ainz & Co brutally murder everyone and talk 100 hours about spells. Its because I do not care at all about the plight of fake humans inside a video game thats inside an anime. Bring on the badness

They aren't inside a video game. They are just regular fictional humans. But yeah, fictional characters have to earn sympathy. Just saying "here is a girl, she is nice", and then spending a couple pages on how she is tortured and dismembered makes me disgusted at the author, not sympathetic toward that character.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's actually a reversal on the Prisoner Dilemma(humans are the baby orcs, the viewers are the paladin and Ainz is the chaotic neutral rogue, willing to slit their throats to avoid the problem), which in D&D circles is fairly well known and hotly debated. There is a reason why the advice for DM's is to generally avoid it without good reason. I don't know if it demonstrates awareness or incompetence to bring it into his novel.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

:yikes:

glad I skim this thread!!

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i wear one all the time. not sure what the big deal is.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Human females were naturally attracted to the strong. When threatened by a powerful outside force, it triggered their natural instinct to join with a strong male and bear his children.

hell yea Maruyama is actually h-artist Fatalpulse

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Human females were naturally attracted to the strong. When threatened by a powerful outside force, it triggered their natural instinct to join with a strong male and bear his children.

hell yea Maruyama is actually h-artist Fatalpulse

lmao

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Like A puppet whos strings have been cut

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
He's right, you know.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Seems like Overlord's LN will get translated to English by Yen Press in Summer of 2016.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

drilldo squirt posted:

He's right, you know.

I never doubted that.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Anatharon posted:

:yikes:

glad I skim this thread!!

Still only happened in the webnovel. Which had it just for the sake of edgy.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
http://skythewood.blogspot.com/2015/10/O8s.html#more

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Shouldn't that go into the Gate thread?

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Probably.

Grausherra
Jul 15, 2007

Look into my eyes...
So both the light novel and manga for Overlord just got picked up by YenPress. Mixed feelings.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Grausherra posted:

So both the light novel and manga for Overlord just got picked up by YenPress. Mixed feelings.
Care to tell us why?

Grausherra
Jul 15, 2007

Look into my eyes...

Grouchio posted:

Care to tell us why?

Don't get me wrong, I'm honestly happy that they got picked up but I had this awful flashback to when The Slayers had it's light novels licensed.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Grouchio posted:

Care to tell us why?

Their nickname is Slow Press.

e: they also have a bad habit of sending C&D letters to fan-translation groups. Kind of a problem when you're talking about publishing Volume 1 in English sometime in 2016 when we're currently on Volume 9. Yeah sure, I'll just put my enjoyment of this franchise on hold for 3 years until you catch up to where we are now.

Maybe they'll let it go this time though? It sure as poo poo didn't help Log Horizon any.

e2:

They're also the people who saw this cover:

And were like "That's good, but do you know what would REALLY move some units?" and went with this instead:

So, literally retarded

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 10, 2015

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Grausherra posted:

hell, i will continue toread these illegal translations on the internet

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
What was that very last thing Shaltear saw before Ains blew her away? Was it something the cross dressing elf did?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Gaj posted:

What was that very last thing Shaltear saw before Ains blew her away? Was it something the cross dressing elf did?
Ainz hesitated using his cash-shop item to instacast his super spell because deep down he didn't really want to kill her and was afraid she'd be dead for good; Aura used a taunt skill to force Shalltear to pause for a second to make up the difference.

Edit: Reading the light novel more. I actually really like how Brain goes from being completely broken to realizing that just because he can't touch literal god-like beings that there's still a point to getting better- and how happy he was just to chip Shalltear's nail. That was pretty cool. I'm sure he dies hideously or in like 2 seconds later when he slightly annoys Ainz but whatever.

I'm reading the Tomb Invaders now and yeah wow this is a really lame buildup to make us feel bad for the workers when they inevitably get utterly slaughtered down to the last man. I like that they had to even make everyone ghetto-adventurer class where they're basically looked at like cannon fodder to begin with in addition to Foresight being nice people, everymen, or having sad background stories.

The only thing that's even remotely interesting is that Ainz questions them obviously for the purpose of making sure they're not being pressured or forced into going into what he knows is a horrible death...but again his best intentions fail because he can't feel emotions very well anymore and he's an utter dipshit that doesn't understand that people can really be desperate for money for very depressing reasons (that they obviously wouldn't share with a random adventurer, even an adamantite level one).

Edit Edit: Okay yeah what is the point of this invader chapter again? It's a bunch of punk-level workers getting mowed down by the freebie summons made by the dungeon. What info could Ainz possibly get from this?

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 12, 2015

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The only real point of that entire volume was "Nazarick is now on the map, and it just wasted some serious adventurers who are willing to go past the limit."

Basically, both his position and their announcement of conquering the world started in this.

I suppose there might be some use of that one lady in Worker team(past volume 10 or so), but otherwise, it was just an attempt to Game of Thronesing it up a notch.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If she is dead in one version and alive in another then no, she won't ever really be important to the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
He stopped writing the web novel though?

Or is it? The one place I've seen it mentioned online says it is still being updated, but it was also 3 volumes behind.

• Locked thread