Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
I'm currently playing through the DS version of DQ6 for the first time (I've already played through the other two DS remakes in the past) and one of the things I truly love about Dragon Quest but that I think a lot of other people might find off-putting is how little direction you get. The world is so open and it's truly one of those games where you have to talk to absolutely everybody because the only way you'll know where to go is if you remember what a guy told you.

Also it's weird to have played Dragon Quest Monsters on the Game Boy years ago and learning that the original Terry was this ultimate bad-rear end and not just some kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

Mischitary posted:

Also it's weird to have played Dragon Quest Monsters on the Game Boy years ago and learning that the original Terry was this ultimate bad-rear end and not just some kid.

He's both, and also a total fucker. That sword of thunder would have been a gamechanger.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mischitary posted:

I'm currently playing through the DS version of DQ6 for the first time (I've already played through the other two DS remakes in the past) and one of the things I truly love about Dragon Quest but that I think a lot of other people might find off-putting is how little direction you get. The world is so open and it's truly one of those games where you have to talk to absolutely everybody because the only way you'll know where to go is if you remember what a guy told you.

DQVI is probably the most open ended those games get too, there's so much time spent just kinda wandering around the two worlds.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I'm still sad that Joker 2 Professional didn't get an english release. Some of the end game content it added seemed really fun.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Erg posted:

Has their been any news about either of the Monsters game remakes on the 3DS getting brought over? I'd buy either of them in a heartbeat but I haven't heard anything about them.

There hasn't even been word of a US/EU release of DQMSL, a mobile game with a fully translated English client (available in the Thai app store).

I wouldn't hold my breath on us getting DQM 3DS remakes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have to say that Alena having voice acting that isn't just Russian but Zangief Russian is goddamn amazing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ImpAtom posted:

I have to say that Alena having voice acting that isn't just Russian but Zangief Russian is goddamn amazing.

Alena should always be Lady Zangief.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ImpAtom posted:

Ok Square you convinced me to get DQ Heroes.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Kiryl does also. But is Borya in the game? I need him.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Ok, I preordered Dragon Quest Heroes because I am a bad person.

I liked Hyrule Warriors so much, and Heroes seems different but similarly good.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

Evil Fluffy posted:

There hasn't even been word of a US/EU release of DQMSL, a mobile game with a fully translated English client (available in the Thai app store).

I wouldn't hold my breath on us getting DQM 3DS remakes.

When they won't even bring over Mobile Games to the U.S., that's when I worry.

Which is odd, I follow the DQM:SL page on facebook and they do events and announce new
Monsters... Why isn't this something that couldn't work in the US, is the fanbase in the west really
That small?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

The Machine posted:

Ok, I preordered Dragon Quest Heroes because I am a bad person.

I liked Hyrule Warriors so much, and Heroes seems different but similarly good.

I think pre-ordering this one makes you a good and decent human being, since who knows if they're factoring pre-orders into their decision of if we ever get more Dragon Quest over here.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Pre-orders, or actual sales numbers?
I want this game, and if that isn't just the best marketing line ever and actual fact, then I'll likely get it too.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't think Square ever said that Dragon Quest Heroes sales will factor into their decision to bring over future DQ titles to the west.

...but they never denied it either.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

BadAstronaut posted:

Pre-orders, or actual sales numbers?

Couldn't tell you one way or the other, but I don't believe in taking chances when more English Dragon Quest is on the line.

e:

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't think Square ever said that Dragon Quest Heroes sales will factor into their decision to bring over future DQ titles to the west.

...but they never denied it either.

They didn't say that future games will DEPEND on it, but that it will certainly factor into their decision.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/6/8902491/more-dragon-quest-games-could-come-to-north-america-if-dragon-quest

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 10, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I feel like the main reason why DQ hasn't been coming over the past few years is because of Nintendo rather than Square Enix.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Tae posted:

I feel like the main reason why DQ hasn't been coming over the past few years is because of Nintendo rather than Square Enix.

You and me both, brother or sister. I only have DQVII on PSX due to a very, very generous goon and I would buy a 3DS port in the proverbail New York minute.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Tae posted:

Naw, it's because nobody bought the DS ports and SE is risk-averse at the moment. Remember that Nintendo and not SE brought Bravely Default over.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I wish I had a PS4 so I could at least justify getting it brand new.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

dq11 was already announced for NA though wasn't it? the one on ps4 and 3ds? maybe i'm misremembering.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Fancy Hat! posted:

Why isn't this something that couldn't work in the US, is the fanbase in the west really
That small?
I literally only care about DWM these days. If Nintendo wants me to buy a 3DS they need to get it here. The monsters are the best part of the game to me.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Real hurthling! posted:

dq11 was already announced for NA though wasn't it? the one on ps4 and 3ds? maybe i'm misremembering.

Nothing explicit; I believe people are assuming it'll be brought over since the PS4 release only seems justified if it gets an international release, given sales in Japan.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Decus posted:

Naw, it's because nobody bought the DS ports and SE is risk-averse at the moment. Remember that Nintendo and not SE brought Bravely Default over.

The DS piracy scene was in full force by the time they got those ports out, unfortunately. The 3DS piracy scene is nonexistent in comparison.

So someone let them know that, ok?

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I've never bought into those arguments and I'm sure they don't either. Piracy only hurts sales from what would have been the used market and if you want to talk about the DS alone its piracy was in full force for DQIX as well (it ran on emulators, it ran on flashcarts, flashcarts were already cheap, etc.) and that sold just fine in comparison to the ports. Unless you want to tell me that 97% of the people who bought DQIX pirated the ports which just sounds silly.

edit: really though, when I said SE is more risk-averse I meant more that they probably look at worst-case on a DQ localization versus worst-case on using that same money to get another DQ spin-off or port made for Japan and "ignore localization, just make something else for Japan" wins by soooooo much from that perspective. Long-term it could have the averse effect of locking them to Japan, but that's why we're getting the cheap to localize DQ Heroes.

Decus fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 10, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If they were cheap about it, they wouldn't dub it though. And Omega Force games do have a history of not dubbing if they don't think the game will sell enough outside of their demographic.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Square can be bizarre and arbitrary at times. They've let up on that with other stuff, but maybe not Dragon Quest yet.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
This is a legitimate question, not a rhetorical one... am I missing something in terms of cost here? I would understand this more if DQ7 had never seen a Western release, but it did on the PS1. From my experience, and I have not finished that incredibly long game, the translatiion was at least "servicable", so couldn't they reuse much of that? I realise that it's not a simple Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V job, but it seems to me that having that point of departure would significantly decrease time and cost.

Is it more about the implied necessity to add some 3D silliness? I'm very much of the camp that just because a system has 3D capabilities doesn't mean that you have to use them. Again, I'm genuinely curious about this as it seems that a good part of the work has been done for them already. Perhaps it would take up too much space (it is a huge bloody game), but even though I would prefer and pay a bit more for a physical cart I would imagine that a digital-only release would be even more cost-effective. Again, it may simply be too big to be stored in pure memory, but the 3DS seems to have a fairly respectable capacity.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

They basically remade the entire game and also made it much less of a slog, AFAIK.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

mikeycp posted:

They basically remade the entire game and also made it much less of a slog, AFAIK.

Which also means that they redid at least parts of the script, so just putting the old translation in isn't going to work.

Even if they hadn't changed the script I think any good translation studio would go over the Japanese script anyways and compare it to the old translation to make sure there weren't errors/new localisation inconsistencies. And at that point you're doing the same amount of work translating either way.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

mikeycp posted:

Erg posted:

Which also means that they redid at least parts of the script, so just putting the old translation in isn't going to work.

Even if they hadn't changed the script I think any good translation studio would go over the Japanese script anyways and compare it to the old translation to make sure there weren't errors/new localisation inconsistencies. And at that point you're doing the same amount of work translating either way.

Ah, okay... now I know. In light of these revelations, I want them to localise it even more.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

also the dq7 english translation was before their 'hey let's put goofy puns and silly accents to make dq things stand out a little more in english' policy so they probably wouldn't want to half-rear end it by using an old dry script

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

This is the Japanese script for the 3DS Dragon Quest VII.

Also keep in mind that Japanese text can contain about 5x the amount of info that English text can.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

mikeycp posted:

I think pre-ordering this one makes you a good and decent human being, since who knows if they're factoring pre-orders into their decision of if we ever get more Dragon Quest over here.

Yeeeah, that's kinda my thought too.

Like, the mobile versions are decent, but I'd rather play them on other platforms, like PC/3DS/Vita, whatever. Literally anything but my phone.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The other issues with DQ7 3DS are:

-it's been so long since the original release that assembling/reassembling a team to handle the technical side of localisation will be a pain
-EFIGS translation is slooooooow and not cheap

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So were these all of the Dragon Quest games that were released on the DS:
DQ4
DQ5
DQ6
DQ9
Rocket Slime
Dragon Quest Monsters Joker
Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2

7 games and then they decided after that the series was unprofitable?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Seems to be the case, yeah.

Also DQ7 is loving HUUUUGE

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I'm glad I picked up DQ7 when they were getting rid of it for mere pocket change.

Then again it was still called Dragon Warrior back then.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

mikeycp posted:

I just got Diablo 3 and Nier in the mail and I still have Heroes preordered. No clue when I'm finally gonna get to play it, but Square deserves some reward for the insane amount of games they have upcoming. I realize this is probably a very dumb idea but I don't care.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Decus posted:

Nintendo's also the one who brought over DQIX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Evil Fluffy posted:

Nintendo's also the one who brought over DQIX.

Nintendo desperately trying to save DQ from its own company